Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Medical Cannabis and Cannabis CBD Oil Group

[su...]

Hey all yall,

I did not know this group existed.  I have just spent the dough required by NYS to see a qualified licensed MJ doc, and applied for my NYS card.  The approval is instant, but it takes 3-15 business days, so I am waiting.

My doctor "prescribed" (in NYS it is actually a recommendation, I am learning as the process goes on) A CBD/THC 6:1 vaped oil product.  I will have that in a few weeks at most, and look forward ro trying it.

The internet is all over the place as to whether it is good or bad from withdrawal from this or that.  I am interested in how you are all doing, and I will look back at more recent posts.

I officially quit cigs 2 years ago, but I look at my journal, and I always seem to cave and cheat between days 100 and 150.  And I belive it is true that each time I reset to day zero.  I am now at day 138, and feel like sh!t.  Anxiety, panic attacks, fog, irritable, IBS and that is WITH 12 mg V.  Sigh.

Are there any fellow armchair neurobiologists out there?

Both benzos and tobacco (notice I aid tobacco and not nicotine, which is completely different) manipulate GABAA and glutamate, mostly NMDA.  My own opinion is that A LOT of our misery is not GABA downregulation but NMDA UPregulation, so I am hopeful that whether I am in protracted cig wd, kindled on diazepam, or just plain old neurologically f'ed from birth, there just might be a formulation that helps.  We know that endogenous cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 effect glutamate transmission at NMDA.

Anyone out there been able to correlate the science with how they are doing?

Be well and good luck,

Ramcon1

I am interested in neurobiology and I agree with where your intuition/thinking/observations have led you. I am struggling some with the cognition for expressing oneself in reading and writing through this and my ability to focus and respond because of other w/d issues/symptoms, but I think you have got a better angle here with all you just shared. Very pleased to see one more is thinking in this way and raising similar questions of intense magnitude (in terms of what is actually taking place) and interest.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Azalea32,

I write better than I feel  ;)  On good days, I can hang with Neil deGrasse Tyson, on bad days Forest Gump.

Today is more Gump, but posting and seeing how others feel and think is both informative and a good distraction.  The Webinar starts in 1 hr 20 mins, ao I am going to see what the host knows.

My doc is pure clinical (where as I am pure theoretical) put he has told me that many patients he treats for pain have rashes have rashes clear up, implying antihistamine, and CBD with just a touch of THC often does the trick.

I will have my card in a week, and will also read more background and share what I can, both from my experience and what I can piece together neurobiologically.

Ramcon1

Thank you Azalea.  I wish I could try the THC one but I'm in Pain management and in an illegal state so cannot show in my urine screen or they will throw me out.  So for now its the hemp.  Glad you are getting the relief.  I hope this CW hemp oil helps me at least a little.  Thanks again.  :smitten:

You too, thanks for your warmth today. 💜

Azalea32,

I write better than I feel  ;)  On good days, I can hang with Neil deGrasse Tyson, on bad days Forest Gump.

Today is more Gump, but posting and seeing how others feel and think is both informative and a good distraction.  The Webinar starts in 1 hr 20 mins, ao I am going to see what the host knows.

My doc is pure clinical (where as I am pure theoretical) put he has told me that many patients he treats for pain have rashes have rashes clear up, implying antihistamine, and CBD with just a touch of THC often does the trick.

I will have my card in a week, and will also read more background and share what I can, both from my experience and what I can piece together neurobiologically.

Ramcon1

Well I hope it’s alright to wax theoretical in pm and keep that to armchair neurobiology specifically.

Personally, I think there can be value in both the theoretical and clinical. I think statistics and numbers and science are all in there... depending.

And objectivity, hopefully in my own thinking anyway. That is huge.

It gets so emotional and subjectivity is not always a good thing when looking at science- too many angles and emotions sometimes for me so I sometimes like to think in a bird’s eye view when I think about the science. The personal stories are important and I’m not speaking of removing the humanity but I am really wanting to focus on symptoms and neurobiology, specifically. I do not know the answers, I only have the nature that likes to continually seek meaning and ask questions.

Hope I can get some more rest. Won’t be thinking too hard tonight I hope.

I noticed that I forgot to thank you all for your help. I still haven't tried again, I'd like to this evening. I am so edgy and uncomfortable. My skin and bones hurt. I hope I don't have another adverse reaction. Fingers crossed.

Again, thank you all for your support. I hope everyone is making it.

~Summer

:smitten:

Ramcon and Azalea...  I just listened to this on youtube... although they are selling something  , and it is directed towards autism , the information I think is very interesting on phytocannabinoids and the differences between CBD and THC effects physiologically.

https://youtu.be/fCFSdmRuqQ4

And Ramcon , I think you're onto something with the NMDA receptors being the issue, not the Gaba so much.... I've felt that for a long time ,I;m not a neurobiologist I'm afraid ,  just a feeling based on what I experience.

will be following this thread  :)

oh , And I'm experimenting with a  20:1 CBD:THC oil at the moment , seems ok , its ACDC. in the youtube video they say that CBD helps regulate glutamate, that would be good!

MiYu

Hi all, I just saw an advertisement about Pure CBD Extract that was featured on the tv show Shark Tank.  They claim it has "healing"properties.  Just wondering if anyone in protracted w/d has tried it and if it was effective at all.  Thank you.

Hi all, I just saw an advertisement about Pure CBD Extract that was featured on the tv show Shark Tank.  They claim it has "healing"properties.  Just wondering if anyone in protracted w/d has tried it and if it was effective at all.  Thank you.

Hi Brunette , I'm sorry you're protracted....have you considered joining the FB group "Blazing Benzos"? You might cast a wider net there as far as people using CBD for WD and post taper .

Good luck , I hope things improve for you and that you find some solutions .

MiYu

MiYu, Never heard of fb group "Blazing Benzos".  I'll check it out.  I tried to ask this question on the Protracted thread but was directed to ask it on this thread.....so I'm kinda lost as to where to go to find out if anyone else in my position has tried this.  Thank you.

Just curious. What's everyone's daily dosages? I take 60-90mg for anxiety relief it seems to work well in that range for me.

Sicory,

I take 75 mg for anxiety, when I need it.  I am glad to see that I am not the only person here to take this higher dose.

[57...]
I've been taking 10mg THC gelcaps for relaxation and sleep pretty regularly since a recent business trip to CA, where I legally obtained them. Works great. However what concerns me is I am starting to feel like 10mg isn't doing it for me, and I seem to now need 20 to achieve the effect that 10 used to give. Which is a sign of tolerance. Which is a sign of dependence. After going through hell to get off benzos, I don't want to wind up at some forum like cannabuddies.org (I just made that up) trying to figure out how to taper THC gelcaps. Is that a legitimate concern?

MiYu, Never heard of fb group "Blazing Benzos".  I'll check it out.  I tried to ask this question on the Protracted thread but was directed to ask it on this thread.....so I'm kinda lost as to where to go to find out if anyone else in my position has tried this.  Thank you.

This is a good place to ask; it just moves slower than other areas of BB. Hopefully someone can provide some insight for you.  :)

Just curious. What's everyone's daily dosages? I take 60-90mg for anxiety relief it seems to work well in that range for me.

I'm currently taking between 35mg-75mg/day.

I've been taking 10mg THC gelcaps for relaxation and sleep pretty regularly since a recent business trip to CA, where I legally obtained them. Works great. However what concerns me is I am starting to feel like 10mg isn't doing it for me, and I seem to now need 20 to achieve the effect that 10 used to give. Which is a sign of tolerance. Which is a sign of dependence. After going through hell to get off benzos, I don't want to wind up at some forum like cannabuddies.org (I just made that up) trying to figure out how to taper THC gelcaps. Is that a legitimate concern?

It's definitely a legitimate concern. Although I don't believe THC is physically addictive, psychological addiction could be a concern for some.

I take enough THC to have a tolerance, but if I don't maintain that level in my system daily, I don't feel physical nor experience psychological issues. Everyone is different, but if I don't have weed, I'm just bummed. Like, I can not smoke during a respiratory illness and survive. I've had times in the last 25 years where I couldn't smoke and didn't require any treatment to stop.

You may want to decide what your canna budget is and not raise your tolerance above what you're willing/able to spend.  ;)

[62...]

Frequent cannabis users do become tolerant, and may even become somewhat dependent, but dependence with cannabinoids is nothing like it is for opioids or especially benzos.  It's more like a caffeine addiction.  Just takes a few days usually to get through the "withdrawal".  Mostly, people just sleep worse for a few nights, and they may become a little more irritable.  Taking a break for a week or three is actually a good way to reduce your tolerance.   

To my knowledge, there isn't a cannabuddies (at least not yet), but there is a marijuana anonymous web site for people who are having difficulties quitting the stuff.

I am so grateful for all of the information that I am getting from this group!

Questions-

Aurora- Is that CBD oil?

And for those of you that are using CBD oil, does it help with sleep?

Badsocref-I have tried some MMJ with THC (sunshine daydream). It seems to give me a little energy but also seems to help me fall asleep (sometimes). My problem is staying asleep. I also feel like the MMJ gives me a headache and dries me out. Is there something else I should be looking for?

I am thinking about CBD oil during the day and THC at night. By the way, I have tried THC edibles but I did not like them at all.

Thanks again!

[62...]
Strains are interesting.  Some seem more sedating right from the start.  Others might activate a person for a time before mellowing them out.  Still others give energy.  If you're looking for sleep, ask the bud-tender for a couch lock strain.  Edibles last longer, but you said you didn't like edibles.  Alcohol tinctures also last longer, but they're a lot like edibles. 

I am so grateful for all of the information that I am getting from this group!

Questions-

Aurora- Is that CBD oil?

And for those of you that are using CBD oil, does it help with sleep?

Badsocref-I have tried some MMJ with THC (sunshine daydream). It seems to give me a little energy but also seems to help me fall asleep (sometimes). My problem is staying asleep. I also feel like the MMJ gives me a headache and dries me out. Is there something else I should be looking for?

I am thinking about CBD oil during the day and THC at night. By the way, I have tried THC edibles but I did not like them at all.

Thanks again!

Charlotte's Web Simply Hemp+ is the same product in powdered capsule form. I don't have to hold oil under my tongue for 30+ seconds (sublingual administration), which is convenient for me in the mornings.

It can definitely be helpful for sleep, but I prefer to use my trusted Indica THC for that, and the CBD for focus and anxiety reduction during the day. Sometimes I use more, if it fits into the budget or I get free samples (we sell it where I work), but I always take at least 35mg in the am. I also like having a disposable CBD vape pen, especially for driving, but Charlotte's Web doesn't make them anymore and we're currently searching for new companies to stock. Smoking/vaping provide the most immediate effects, but last the shortest amount of time.

Using THC and CBD (and terpenes, for that matter, although it's a relatively new thing) together are supposed to cause something called the Entourage Effect. Check it out: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/cannabis-entourage-effect-why-thc-and-cbd-only-medicines-arent-g

When choosing strains, I consult https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring pretty often. You can look them up by taste, feeling, activity, symptom and condition. The reviews can also be helpful when trying to avoid strains that give you a headache, dry you out, etc.

If you're a regular smoker, keeping a canna journal can be really helpful to keep track of what you're smoking/ingesting. I only keep one in my head, ha, but should write it down too.  ;)

Hello my buddies,

I hope this post find you all having good days.  I am hanging in there.  This thread is 210 pages long, and I do not have the presence of mind to sift through 210 pages to find the answer to this question, so if one you can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

I live in New York State (NYS) and went through the whole process to get legal medical marijuana.  In NYS it is only available as distilled oils to be either vaped, dropped sublingually, or ingested as capsules.  It is sold in ratios of THC:CBD.  Four days ago I had one medium-sized vaped dose of 1:6, the lowest THC available in NYS that can be vaped.

Holy crap holy crap holy crap!  Now interestingly enough, it made somethings better and somethings worse, but I am still not at baseline to where I was before that single dose 4 days ago.  Close, but not quite.

The next step down available in NYS is sublingual 1:19.  It is all REALLY pricy.  This thread has discussed many different supplemental CBD formulations.  And even the pricy ones are less than the medical formulations in NYS.

I THINK I want a full spectrum formulation, with all the cannabinoids and terpenes, and a TRACE of THC.  I know there are US-legal formulations that contain the upper limit of THC.  If any of you know what it is, can you please reply here or PM me the name or a link?

If it matters, what I hope to get out it is, since I quit smoking, my histamine and glutamate intolerance is just ridiculous.  If I ingest even a small quantity of dietary glutamate or histamine, my mental and physical symptoms go through the roof, specifically anxiety, panic, stiffness, nerve pain. 

For those of you who know me as a neurobiologist, I know what is going on.  I am REALLY NMDA/AMPA upregulated, and the glutamates slam the receptors and the histamines stimulate the glutamates that slam the receptors.  The cannabinoids, flow retrograde up the receptor and slow the flow of glutamate.  Something in the 1:6 vape amped glutamate.  I was in pain for day.  Then something definitely slowed the glutamate.  I was calmer, (and constipated) and then I rode a roller coaster of all those symptoms for 3 days.  I am hoping to find a formulation that helps.  It might be the 1:19, but I always like to have a plan “C” (at this point it is “ZZZ,” but whatever.)

I look forward to your recommendations, and thank you in advance,

Ramcon1