Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Kitsune,

I take TEVA 2mg tablets and every time I have switched out a 1 mg (1/2 tablet) for the prescription liquid, no issues - however, each of those switches has only been a small part of my dose.  Once I get to 3 mg, I will probably go all liquid.  Best wishes!!

Would magnesium detoxify any build up of valium in your system? And is it wise to do a build up of valium in your system before tapering?

Would magnesium detoxify any build up of valium in your system? And is it wise to do a build up of valium in your system before tapering?

Checked online and there are many links about mag. One stated getting mag is best via diet, nuts, bananas etc.

Here is a link found in the supplement section--http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=238181.0

Be interested to hear what feedback you get.

Others here can advise you per -- build up of valium. Seems it has been discussed on this thread back a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Checked online and there are many links about mag. One stated getting mag is best via diet, nuts, bananas etc.

Here is a link found in the supplement section--http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=238181.0

Be interested to hear what feedback you get.

Others here can advise you per -- build up of valium. Seems it has been discussed on this thread back a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. So I plan on cutting again tomorrow. I have a question about refills. I have gone from 30mg diazepam to 25mg a day this last month or so using 5mg tablets. My refills have been every two weeks (14 day) supply of the exact amount for the next 2.25mg reduction schedule from my doctor. I’ve filled only 3 times at a local cvs pharmacy in 14 day intervals so far. On my bottles it says no refills so I usually call the doctor to send in the script. I’m due for a refill tomorrow (Thursday) as it hits the two week mark. I called the doctor yesterday and they sent in the script to the cvs pharmacy. Cvs said it couldn’t be filled until the 21st. So my doctor had to call them and they said it was an error now have it on hold for this Friday. Has anyone run into this problem and should I change pharmacies. I’m sorry I’m new to this. Any help would greatly be appreciated

-Jimmy

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. So I plan on cutting again tomorrow. I have a question about refills. I have gone from 30mg diazepam to 25mg a day this last month or so using 5mg tablets. My refills have been every two weeks (14 day) supply of the exact amount for the next 2.25mg reduction schedule from my doctor. I’ve filled only 3 times at a local cvs pharmacy in 14 day intervals so far. On my bottles it says no refills so I usually call the doctor to send in the script. I’m due for a refill tomorrow (Thursday) as it hits the two week mark. I called the doctor yesterday and they sent in the script to the cvs pharmacy. Cvs said it couldn’t be filled until the 21st. So my doctor had to call them and they said it was an error now have it on hold for this Friday. Has anyone run into this problem and should I change pharmacies. I’m sorry I’m new to this. Any help would greatly be appreciated

-Jimmy

My CVS has been able to do refills when the doctor called and explained what we’re doing. I’m in CA, so I don’t know what your state’s laws are around schedule IV drugs, but my understanding is that the pharmacist can push it through. For example, last week I picked up my month prescription for tablets, but a couple days later I had a doctors appointment and asked my doctor to prescribe Rx liquid instead of tablets. Doctor called , explained the situation and there were no issues and I have both the tablets and liquid now (although hopefully I don’t need the tablets). I hope this helps.

Hello everyone,

-Jimmy

Jimmy, why is he doing every 2 weeks and not a month at a time.  Not sure, but I think you are getting messed up because insurance companies go by a month.  Especially with the CV virus, I would ask my Dr to write prescriptions for a month.  Then I call mine in at day 28 and they are always ready either day 29 or 30.  Making you try to do this 2 week thing is a hardship.  I would ask your Dr to change it to a month.  Good luck!!  Mary 💜💜

I understand why your doctor is being conscientious and carefully monitoring your situation - he is doing his due diligence though it is a real pain in the rear for you.  I will say - I have had better luck with my local grocery store pharmacy than either CVS or Sam's Club.  Sam's Club is hard core and even questioned me when I called to find out when I could pick up my refill (like I was drug seeking or something).  CVS was a pain for me, especially because a couple of times, I only picked up a few pills of a particular brand just to see how I would react - then they got things messed up and my doctor had to call.  My local grocery store pharmacist is much easier to deal with and more personable - both to me and my doc.  Only reason I'm getting my liquid through Sam's Club is because it's less than 1/2 the price and it's out of pocket.  Also, diazepam is just cheap so if it's an insurance thing, and it could be, if you can afford to pay out of pocket, it likely won't be that much more expensive and could be less of a hassle.

Hello VDSG, how are we all?

I am down to 2.5mg Diazepam a day, and feeling pretty good!

I was on 7.5mg a day, but this made me feel like a brain-dead zombie.

Now that I'm back to a relatively low dose, I:

* Go to the gym 2-3 times a week for 1 hour.

* Eat clean and don't have junk food.

* Am noticing muscle returning, especially after working out.

* Avoid alcohol and MSG like the plague. I limit caffeine to one coffee a day.

* Am starting to get my figure and body back again.

* Have more energy to do things.

* Have waves of ruminating thoughts, but these are becoming rare now.

So there you go.

I don't take this junk every day, I used to chow it down one time.

My residual symptoms are:

* The rocky, boaty feeling. Still comes on at night.

* Fatigue, feels like I haven't slept for a month.

* Tight head, sore neck and back.

* The "sword" in the back. This really hurts, but I've learnt to put up with the pain.

* Jaw clenching and spasms.

* Brain fog (but this is getting better).

* Seeing lights (this is small and rare).

What has disappeared since lowering:

* The spots in my eyes.

* Reading sensitivity.

* Pale skin (it now has colour).

* Funky smell (yeah I stunk when I took 7.5mg, yeast problems?)

* Blepharospasms (this is a big one for me).

* Brain shocks/zaps.

* Electric feeling in my body.

* Deadness in the right arm (it would feel like my arm would suddenly drop off).

Dave.

Hey Crowman, that's great news! I am also working out through this taper, but 5 times a week as I'm still working as a personal trainer and must maintain some semblance of fitness through this ordeal. How are you sleeping? Have you noticed if intense workouts affect your sleep? For me, I think it causes sleep disturbances and insomnia but I am toughing it out.

Cheers!

Sorry you have to deal with the pharmacy every 2 weeks, that is a real bummer. I used to get very stressed when it was time to refill, because there often was a problem much like what you described. And then as mom said, they make you feel like a drug seeker when really you just have PTSD from not being able to get your meds on time. My doctor would prescribe 2 weeks worth when we first started, so he could make sure he trusted me. Then after I proved myself, he went to every month and eventually every 3 months. I hope your doctor will start to trust you as well.

I'm also a little worried about your strict tapering schedule. That got me into big trouble and I ended up switching doctors because I didn't feel listened to by my previous dr, and even though I sobbed in the office after a failed attempt at a jump, she made me feel like a weak drug addict. So glad I finally found a caring dr who understood benzo w/d and let me do a symptom based taper at my own speed.

Much love to you.

Hey Crowman, that's great news! I am also working out through this taper, but 5 times a week as I'm still working as a personal trainer and must maintain some semblance of fitness through this ordeal. How are you sleeping? Have you noticed if intense workouts affect your sleep? For me, I think it causes sleep disturbances and insomnia but I am toughing it out.

Cheers!

Hi DJ100,

I don't really know how you workout 5 days a week through this benzo s**t. You're a soldier!

My sleep is awful. I can feel myself drift off, then I wake up in an absolute panic.

Do you have any diet tips for benzos?

Dave.

Hello everyone,

I’m located in Houston Texas. Maybe I’ll try a Kroger’s next time. I use cash to pay since they don’t take my insurance at cvs and the last 3 times my wife has picked up for me. Under my instructions on each script it says the doses 4 times a day “as directed for taper program” 14 days. I’m not quite sure why it’s every 2 weeks. It’s stressful calling in 2 days ahead to send the E-script. The pharmtech has asked my wife once if I wanted a 3 month refill I declined until I talk to my doctor. The doctors office said there was an error on cvs’ part as they told me can’t refill until the 21st I’m due tomorrow and now it’s on hold until Friday. I’ve only seen my doctor once so far. He just said we’re going to go slow and follow Ashton. It might be to monitor me since I can’t come in every week or month. First thing he had recommended was to switch me directly to Valium from Xanax. Maybe it’s because I’m 3.5 hours away. The doctors office did mention usually they want patients to come in to monitor to see how things are going. But since I’m far away they have set up for 2 month appointments. Hopefully the appointment goes well as the last one I had bad Xanax interdose and tolerance withdrawal could barely keep up a conversation. I’ve done another cut today so since last month I’ve crossed over in 2 weeks and have cut from 30mgs to 22.5mg -2.25mg every 2 weeks. Thank you all for replying and listening I greatly appreciate it

-Jimmy

Jimmy,

You may even want to try a local pharmacy even, one who is more personable - that could honestly really take away some of the stress.  You could even just call and explain the situation and get a feel for how they respond.  CVS is just a drug mill.  Since you and I have talked already, you also know that I agree with OliveKitty.  A patient led taper is the best but most do fine with Ashton.  If you start to FEEL your cuts, that's when you may need to ask for a change.  Here's an interview I just watched yesterday posted by benzoreform.org and it's with Stanford Addiction Expert Anna Lemke.  It was pretty good. Hopefully, it's ok to post it here.

OliveKitty,

I just saw you jumped at .5mg about a month ago!!  Congratulations!  How are you feeling?

Jimmy,

You may even want to try a local pharmacy even, one who is more personable - that could honestly really take away some of the stress.  You could even just call and explain the situation and get a feel for how they respond.  CVS is just a drug mill.  Since you and I have talked already, you also know that I agree with OliveKitty.  A patient led taper is the best but most do fine with Ashton.  If you start to FEEL your cuts, that's when you may need to ask for a change.  Here's an interview I just watched yesterday posted by benzoreform.org and it's with Stanford Addiction Expert Anna Lemke.  It was pretty good. Hopefully, it's ok to post it here.

OliveKitty,

I just saw you jumped at .5mg about a month ago!!  Congratulations!  How are you feeling?

Thanks Mom! I actually intended to jump at .25 but one day I forgot to take my dose (which had never happened before)

so the next day I wondered, should I take double? Should I take regular and just skip a day?... should I .... jump?? SO I decided to go for it. After my 1.5 year hold at 2mg, I hadn't felt any of the cuts down to .5 so I was feeling pretty confident. And I feel fine! The same as I felt at .05. Some good days, some bad days, way less bad days, good days get better and better. 

Olive,

That is just amazing and encouraging, especially after all you have been through.  Just reiterates once again to me that NO two tapers or experiences are alike....maybe some similarities but when it comes to benzos, everything is just up in the air. 

I would appreciate some feedback on what direction to take. I crashed in September didn’t know the symptoms were withdrawal and did nothing for two months. November 3 I realized it’s wd and upped the dose .75 Valium after having acute symptoms. That was simply an erroneous amount based on no information and based on the concept of up dosing as little as possible. It clearly was not enough.  listened to the support from the long hold group and held at  that dose for 3.5 months. In Jan and Feb Acute symptoms returned and I was afraid for my life. I know they do not believe in tolerance withdrawal. But that is what I feel happened. I would like some feedback concerning this so to summarize, from September 1 until Feb 20 I did not stabilize after holding and doing a very small up dose. On Feb 20 I decided to updose again at 1 mg going from 2.75 to 3.75. There have been improvements in the crazy anxiety, sleep, flu like symptoms and electrical jolts The chronic fatigue which renders me non-functional has not improved. I am still in a heightened state of anxiety despair hopelessness.  Monday it will be 1 month since 2nd updose. I want to start doing an extremely slow liquid taper slower than before. I had no problems with my liquid taper up until 2 mg. The one view point is I need to wait until I am completely stabilized. I don’t know if that’s gonna happen. What does that mean?my main symptom is chronic fatigue and inability to tolerate any stress. that could be years to resolve, Do you think it would be wise to start A slow micro taper soon with the hopes that I will become more functional from this debilitating fatigue. If you think I should wait, please explain why, 

Olive,

That is just amazing and encouraging, especially after all you have been through.  Just reiterates once again to me that NO two tapers or experiences are alike....maybe some similarities but when it comes to benzos, everything is just up in the air.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Magnolis it is hard to give advice since everyone is so very different.  But with that being said there are 2 ways of addressing a taper - long holds which help to re set you or give your body a break - or a taper at a speed that is bearable but not s/x free. 

I know many people who up dose get some relief and can hold for long periods of time with no adverse effects.  If this is you than you may want to consider giving your body a good long rest from any taper until you are symptom free for awhile and you can then start a slow taper off.

If on the other hand up dosing and holding does not help and you continue to suffer then, like me, you have no choice but to try and get off as safely as possible.  I think for those of us in this group the benzo itself becomes our enemy (look at the s/x in your packet - and correlate them to what you are experiencing).  Therefore a taper is the way to go. With a micro taper you control your pace which is what I liked about it.  I could slow down or speed it up vs a cut and hold which for me was like being on a horrible roller coaster ride. Though I never felt great during my taper - the slow micro taper left me functional and on those days that I just could not bear to taper I  kept the same dose.  I think it is also psychological - for me having total control over my pace was helpful.

You must figure out what works best for you.  All I can say is that I did not feel better until I was off and only really healed w/o the benzo in my system.

Thanks everyone. I am very confused. I went to the cvs pharmacy and told the pharmtech it’s 14 days as my new script has hit that mark. He was nice said maybe it’s your insurance I said you guys don’t take it and I usually pay cash he offered to get me a coupon then the pharmacist stops him and told him to check the computer again because it might be a dea thing. He said yeah it seems like it and she Was being mean very rude to me and looked at me like an addict. I’ve never picked up an early prescription either. I explained to her I’m almost out of meds and have to cut every 2 weeks following a plan. She said yeah I know I talked to your doctor but I can’t do anything for you you’ll have to wait until the 21st. I’m never going back to cvs. I am so lost as I’ve never experienced this. I have to call the doctor tomorrow early. I hope I don’t have to cold turkey

-Jimmy

Hi Magnolis

You have really done well considering the 20 plus years of Temazapam. I won't get into the details of last year's (2019) months of insomnia and trying every sleeping pill covered by insurance. Most didn't help for underlying my insomnia was some intractble anxiety which revealed tself via a most stress inducing prostate issue, but, in hindsight, had been under the surface, for years, due to too many major stressors (loss of folks, caregiving and my own health issue and extensive treatments) within a short period of time.

The temzapam was not effective even self updosing to upper theraputic level. Within two months tried Z, temazapam and a terrible drug called Halcion. I discarded all remaining pill yet kept Z for possible one off use in future.

All of the sleeping pills had sx next day. The worse was Halcion. Most only took for three weeks or so. Finally trazadone my old sleep aid was more effective when combined with the regular benzo.

So, you are tough that is for sure and down to just a tiny amount of V is a big accomplishment.

I am new and lack experience in benzo issues. However, I understand many of your s/x's-fatigued, poor sleep and awakening, emotional fluctuatationes etc. Yet they seem to be improving (Studying, reading and practcing mindfulness/loving-kindness/meditation--has helped a great deal. Not to eliminate sx's of stressors but to understand how to accept a bit more. I now think about my sx's as being in good company--we are all sharing similar experiences.) These days we live in a hyper stress inducing culture even when we are home and safe, e.g. CVirus etc. I am slowing my taper for a few weeks. Once down to 2 mg will be feeling my oats--so to speak--2 mg is miniscule as compared to X and C's (mean interdose demanding drugs!).

Present, I am down to 1/6 of the X equivalency began using last March about this time. That is not too bad. Often think about it when feel a need to speed things up or feel like I should have been done with the taper by now. Though, I did hit the crossover quickly and reduced dose rapidly late last year.

Magnolis are you in a cannabis friendly state? If so, I do have one suggestion.

Also, are you taking any other drugs like trazadone etc.

Feel better--all sx's are impermanent.

Cheers

Thanks everyone. I am very confused. I went to the cvs pharmacy and told the pharmtech it’s 14 days as my new script has hit that mark. He was nice said maybe it’s your insurance I said you guys don’t take it and I usually pay cash he offered to get me a coupon then the pharmacist stops him and told him to check the computer again because it might be a dea thing. He said yeah it seems like it and she Was being mean very rude to me and looked at me like an addict. I’ve never picked up an early prescription either. I explained to her I’m almost out of meds and have to cut every 2 weeks following a plan. She said yeah I know I talked to your doctor but I can’t do anything for you you’ll have to wait until the 21st. I’m never going back to cvs. I am so lost as I’ve never experienced this. I have to call the doctor tomorrow early. I hope I don’t have to cold turkey

-Jimmy

Oh my gosh Jimmy I am so sorry to hear this. The same thing happened to me at Rite Aid. Call your Dr first thing in the morning and have him call the Rx in to a different pharmacy. Someone mentioned using a local pharmacy, I completely agree. Rite Aid gave me the same line about the dea. They are just trying to cover their asses and don't care about folks. You will not have to cold turkey. If you Dr is ordering it then you will be able to have it. We are here to support you!

Thanks Olive,

I ended up getting the meds I haven’t been able to sleep the last two days so I’ll break down what happened:

I talked to the manager the other pharmacist wasn’t working. I saw the rude pharmtech whisper “that’s him.” But the pharmacy manager filled my script personally. I asked her hey you guys don’t take my insurance. She said unfortunately not maybe next year. I explained to her my last refills have been falling on the 14th day so I’m confused and I don’t refill early. So I pretty much told her I just want to build a relationship with my pharmacist so y’all know what’s going on. She said of course. I said I had a really bad reaction to alprazolam from another doctor. I have to go to Austin every two months to see my current one. I told her I follow my taper program strictly and missed my dose this morning since it’s the 15th day. She seemed compassionate and was like oh no make sure you take it right away. I asked if she heard of the ashton manual I’m on she said yes but hasn’t read it and has heard of my doctor in Austin. She said only she has authority to put stuff in the computer so she will do that and try to get me refilled a day or two ahead so I don’t miss my dose. Hopefully she sticks to her word

So what I learned from my pharmacist friend. She said a lot of pharmacists are trained to red flag and look out for people that pay cash vs using insurance because many resellers do that. It mainly applies if you’re going to a new pharmacy where they don’t know anything about you. She also said they’re trained to be somewhat mean to the patient if she doesn’t know their history or if they’ve been jumping pharmacies exception is if you work on the other side of town and consistently use the same pharmacies. They also take notes of you for instance opioids they get checked by the gov the pharmacist has to explain why the patient has been filling pain meds based off of (judgement) or patient to pharmacist relationship. I think only the manager has authorization to override the system at certain chains. She also said it’s to protect their license. That’s what it comes down to unfortunately. So in my case I think the whole dea clearing script was a lie. It went through in an hour this morning.

-Jimmy