Important Survey - Please Participate ×

When can I drive and work again ?

[Tw...]

I quit using Xanax and Klonopin seven weeks ago. The withdrawals were brutal and pure hell. I have a mountain of compassion for anyone taking or quitting benzodiazepines. That was by far the worst experience of my entire life. 

I actually finally feel better after quitting benzos seven weeks ago. From all the things I read, this is a fast recovery from benzos, and I am blessed. The only thing bothering me now is that I am afraid to drive and afraid to work a job because I have fears that my brain still won't function properly, after all that I have experienced lately with the withdrawals . 

What is your experience? Do you have any advice on how to overcome the hurdles and fears of not being able to drive or work a job ?

[Tw...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

I quit using Xanax and Klonopin seven weeks ago. The withdrawals were brutal and pure hell. I have a mountain of compassion for anyone taking or quitting benzodiazepines. That was by far the worst experience of my entire life. 

I actually finally feel better after quitting benzos seven weeks ago. From all the things I read, this is a fast recovery from benzos, and I am blessed. The only thing bothering me now is that I am afraid to drive and afraid to work a job because I have fears that my brain still won't function properly, after all that I have experienced lately with the withdrawals . 

What is your experience? Do you have any advice on how to overcome the hurdles and fears of not being able to drive or work a job ?

When can you trust your brain to work properly again so you can drive and work a job again? 

I had severe withdrawals after quitting extremely high doses of Xanax and Klonopin seven weeks ago. I had gotten the benzodiazepines from Mexico, close to where I live, so I was able to take really high doses. Some of my withdrawal symptoms included muscle twitching, muscle spasms, extreme confusion, hallucinations, poor short term memory, absolutely no sleep, and poor motor skills, and a blackout for around 4 weeks. I am not trying to scare anyone, but that was my experience after quitting extremely high doses of benzodiazepines. 

• Like 1

[PE...]
19 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

When can you trust your brain to work properly again so you can drive and work a job again? 

I had severe withdrawals after quitting extremely high doses of Xanax and Klonopin seven weeks ago. I had gotten the benzodiazepines from Mexico, close to where I live, so I was able to take really high doses. Some of my withdrawal symptoms included muscle twitching, muscle spasms, extreme confusion, hallucinations, poor short term memory, absolutely no sleep, and poor motor skills, and a blackout for around 4 weeks. I am not trying to scare anyone, but that was my experience after quitting extremely high doses of benzodiazepines. 

Yes exactly. Go with common sense :)

• Like 1

[Tw...]
1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

Yes exactly. Go with common sense :)

Thank you for the feedback. @[PE...]. Very helpful. I appreciate your input and interest in the topic. 

• Like 1

[Tw...]

Please do other people have any advice or suggestions on this topic? Your input is greatly appreciated 👍 

[Tw...]
1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

Please do other people have any advice or suggestions on this topic? Your input is greatly appreciated 👍 

Should I try to get disability benefits? It is very hard to work or drive, due to the brain fog and impaired motor skills. 

[Sw...]

I would encourage you to not allow fear to creep in and run your life. Don’t be afraid to be bold and push yourself. I would say you’ve gone through the worst of it. Leave your life how you want to know how the drug wants you to I know this is not, a perfect answer, but just words of encouragement that we all need from the hell we’ve gone through these drugs were made in hell and shipped back to earth just joking kind of😂

• Like 1
  • Love 2

[Tw...]
4 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

I would encourage you to not allow fear to creep in and run your life. Don’t be afraid to be bold and push yourself. I would say you’ve gone through the worst of it. Leave your life how you want to know how the drug wants you to I know this is not, a perfect answer, but just words of encouragement that we all need from the hell we’ve gone through these drugs were made in hell and shipped back to earth just joking kind of😂

Dear @[Sw...] I agree with everything you just said. And yes it does feel like we have literally gone through hell by quitting the benzodiazepines. It also feels like these drugs were made in hell and shipped back to earth, like you said. Thank you so much for all of your words of encouragement. 

• Love 1

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

You said you had a “Miracle Recovery “. Perhaps you can amend your Success Story as it appears misleading, (filing for disability, amongst other apparent w/d sxs) especially for those suffering and leaning on those stories for hope and inspiration.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

[Tw...]

When were y'all able to return to work and drive after quitting benzodiazepines ? 

[Tw...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

When were y'all able to return to work and drive after quitting benzodiazepines ? 

I feel a whole lot of hope and inspiration simply because by week seven after quitting benzodiazepines, 99 percent of my horrible withdrawal symptoms are completely gone. My motor skills are working better, my physical coordination and my thinking and my memory are all better. My sleep and concentration are better. I am no longer in delirium tremens, I am no longer confused. The depersonalization and derealization are better, and my brain fog is going away. I also have no more hallucinations or shaking. 

[Ma...]
7 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I feel a whole lot of hope and inspiration simply because by week seven after quitting benzodiazepines, 99 percent of my horrible withdrawal symptoms are completely gone. My motor skills are working better, my physical coordination and my thinking and my memory are all better. My sleep and concentration are better. I am no longer in delirium tremens, I am no longer confused. The depersonalization and derealization are better, and my brain fog is going away. I also have no more hallucinations or shaking. 

Seems you should be able to work with no trouble.

[Tw...]

Did benzodiazepine withdrawal harm y'all 's ability to work and drive ? What did you do about it ?

[Ka...]
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Did benzodiazepine withdrawal harm y'all 's ability to work and drive ? What did you do about it ?

Sadly a sensitive issue for some. Maybe that’s why you’ve not had reply you’re seeking since asking. Some of us can barely  leave the house.

Edited by [Ka...]
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[Tw...]
3 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Sadly a sensitive issue for some. Maybe that’s why you’ve not had reply since asking. Some of us can barely  leave the house.

Yes I have read many accounts of people who have experienced benzodiazepine withdrawal and they are bedridden or unable to leave the house. That is scary to me and I try to leave the house at least once a day to prevent agoraphobia. The brain fog that I have experienced is making me feel afraid to drive or to work again. How about y'all? 

[jo...]
1 hour ago, [[T...] said:

Yes I have read many accounts of people who have experienced benzodiazepine withdrawal and they are bedridden or unable to leave the house. That is scary to me and I try to leave the house at least once a day to prevent agoraphobia. The brain fog that I have experienced is making me feel afraid to drive or to work again. How about y'all? 

It sounds like you might still be in withdrawl but through the acute phase which is generally the most intense phase so that's good news. But if your still fearful of driving and working then that would suggest you are still symptomatic to me so I wouldn't do too much too soon. I'd give it a little time to see how things settle. It's great that you've seen signifficant improvement!

• Like 1

[Ca...]

What kind of work are you looking to do right now? If you have the stamina to do a job I probably would try and work. I know when I did a cold turkey in rehab that I was having intense post acute withdrawal symptoms but I was able to drive around town and I was able to work in very limited amounts; but I had more energy than I have with this microtaper. I found especially with the driving that I felt a lot of depersonalization but I focused intently on driving and drove very cautiously. Right now I have not driven in at least eight months.

[Bu...]

Hey @[Tw...]

I think that for many of us, we have a sort of PTSD after dealing with such horrific symptoms.  I just started driving again occasionally after only having driven once (in December) since last July.  It's hard for me sometimes to sort out why I don't want to drive.  I really have to evaluate what's going on.  Some days it's all physical, I'm dizzy or I have a lot of pressure behind my eyes.  I definitely don't drive on those days.  Other days it's more emotional, just kind of worrying about my symptoms or that fact that it's been so long since I drove.  On those days, I try.  Thankfully I live about 2 or 3 miles from the shopping region of my town, so I don't have to go far.  It makes it easier.

I think that @[jo...] is right that you may still be in withdrawal.  I would imagine though, that that might be hard to recognize given the mildness of what you have now compared to the extreme hellishness of your acute phase.  Just give yourself some time and take it easy, you've been through a lot. ❤

• Like 2