Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Good to hear that you are doing a little better.  However, 1 mg a week?  Jokkio, you may be able to handle that, but you may not.  For many, that would be too fast but for you, as a shorter user, it may just be fine, though you may have to make smaller cuts the lower you get.  Try to let your body guide you. 

Mary,

I learned more about front loading on FB and a couple of people on here over the past several months - it helped some others that I know - I didn't do it but with my more gradual c/o, I ended up doing ok....... though I suffered Klonopin WD head pressure and initial bad effects from Valium.  It may have helped but I was too stubborn and afraid of everything back then.  Hope you are doing well!!!!

Good to hear that you are doing a little better.  However, 1 mg a week?  Jokkio, you may be able to handle that, but you may not.  For many, that would be too fast but for you, as a shorter user, it may just be fine, though you may have to make smaller cuts the lower you get.  Try to let your body guide you. 

Mary,

I learned more about front loading on FB and a couple of people on here over the past several months - it helped some others that I know - I didn't do it but with my more gradual c/o, I ended up doing ok....... though I suffered Klonopin WD head pressure and initial bad effects from Valium.  It may have helped but I was too stubborn and afraid of everything back then.  Hope you are doing well!!!!

Thanks Mom, that is very interesting  and I need to learn more  :D. I understand, I was afraid of everything back when I started and have learned so much over 2 years on here I wish I had known or had the nerve to try back when I started.  ;)

Wow, such great support here! Since the smallest tablets of Valium are 2 mg., my doctor is saying that 1 mg. a week is just fine.

Should I better cut by 1/4 of a tablet, 0,5 mg.?

Jokkio, the recommendation is usually 5-10% per 1-2 weeks depending on how you feel. Start low and go slow is my advice. At first 1 mg drops may be fine, but once you get below 9 mg, those drops will be more than 10%. Valium is nice because it can easily be split and quartered. You may find that a micro taper suits you better than cut and hold, but that's entirely up to you to decide. I've found the micro taper minimizes symptoms considerably.

jok, that's very good advice you are getting.  I am not sure I am understanding your drug history correctly.  I think it's all about dropping but I don't see how long you were on the drugs, am I misunderstanding something?  Mary 💜💜

Tonight, I slept so well! Went to bed and slept within 10 minutes. Had my third 5 mg Valium at 23.00 . At 2.30 I woke up, had to go to the bathroom. I was very concerned I wouldnt get to sleep again, so I took one quarter of a 10 mg tablet of Zolpidem. That was enough, I slept till 6.30 after that. Again bathroom visit and slept again till 8.30.

For a long time, with Zolpidem, I had short periods of sleep, 2/2,5 hours atm. I woke up, not having the feeling that I had slept at all.

Now, I had vivid, nice dreams and a much better feeling about the quality of sleep. I’m very glad I crossed over to Diazepam, so far!

Tonight, I slept so well! Went to bed and slept within 10 minutes. Had my third 5 mg Valium at 23.00 . At 2.30 I woke up, had to go to the bathroom. I was very concerned I wouldnt get to sleep again, so I took one quarter of a 10 mg tablet of Zolpidem. That was enough, I slept till 6.30 after that. Again bathroom.  visit and slept again till 8.30.

For a long time, with Zolpidem, I had short periods of sleep, 2/2,5 hours atm. I woke up, not having the feeling that I had slept at all.

Now, I had vivid, nice dreams and a much better feeling about the quality of sleep. I’m very glad I crossed over to Diazepam, so far!

So glad you had a good nights sleep  :). Sleep makes such a huge difference  ;D

Tonight, I slept so well! Went to bed and slept within 10 minutes. Had my third 5 mg Valium at 23.00 . At 2.30 I woke up, had to go to the bathroom. I was very concerned I wouldnt get to sleep again, so I took one quarter of a 10 mg tablet of Zolpidem. That was enough, I slept till 6.30 after that. Again bathroom.  visit and slept again till 8.30.

So glad you had a good nights sleep  :). Sleep makes such a huge difference  ;D

My sleep has been rotten for a week. And not that great for a long time. I keep a daily journal of time taking meds and nightly sleep issues. Fondly recall those long uninterrupted nights of sleep.

Have had a couple of stressors arise which are likely contributing. One personal and one household. I'll skip the details unless someone is interested.

I too wake up most nights at same time no matter what time I go to bed. Mostly to use bathroom and typically unable to return to sleep. This is the issue (prostrate) that I tried to overcome first with sleeping pills this time last year for a few months then transitioning to benzo/trazadone comb. For nearly four months, I was taking 1.5 mg X per day. So, my present V use is a fraction of what initially used (on my sig).

I limit my fluid intake several hours before bed. Often wake up same time without needing to use bathroom.

Use to be a night owl, but these days hit the sack between 9 and 10 PM.

I take 4 mg V around 8:15 PM and then a 50 mg trazadone 30 minutes later. This combo has really assisted in falling asleep compared to sleeping agents. Though I have a bottle of Z which I am often tempted to use. In fact, I did try one a month ago upon waking and still could not fall back asleep.

Last night, out of frustration I took a 2 mg V at about 3:30 am. It simply does not help. In fact, it makes me not feel too good. Even during the day, a 1 or 2 mg dose makes me feel just blah.

My tapering is out of whack. And that frustrates me.

Wondering if ought to try taking 50 mg trazadone at 8:00 pm first and then the 4 mg V a bit later.

I usually take my small laptop to bed with the light dim on night setting and listen to a looping meditation with eyes closed. Generally, turn it off just before getting sleepy. Last night, I fell asleep with it on and had not put in my ear plugs (use to block any outside noise). Woke up to the sound of the Zen monk with the mediation still playing and said to myself--what the heck--suspect would not have woke up if off----lesson learned.

Anyway--just a bit of ventilation.

Cheers

Blue,

Nighttime waking is one of my issues as well.  I got some tips from the counselor I saw yesterday.  One has to do with counting backwards from a high number in groups of 3 or 7 so that you have to use your brain a little.  Another is to keep your eyes open and move them back and forth across the room, even while dark.  Apparently, this creates delta waves that induce sleep.  The other is to think of works related to God in ABC order.....first, a word starting with the letter A that relates to God and then B and so on. 

I also am usually very careful about quitting my electronic exposure about 1.5 hours before bed.  No electronics or phones in my room whatsoever.  I also use earplugs and have to run a fan. 

Momof7babes has great recommendations to help with sleep. The eye movement technique is one I learned doing EMDR with my therapist. I also find wearing an eye mask is helpful to eliminate any ambient light (our neighbors behind us have their TV set up in their living room so it shines right into our bedroom). I also find visualizing a really beautiful place I have been that evokes overwhelmingly positive feelings helps a lot.

Thanks Mom  and Kitsune

Shall give your recommendations a try.

Indeed--I run a fan and have a white sound machine.

Kit--Yes, an eye mask is a good idea. Same issue here with lights on neighbors backyard. Should have gotten black-out curtains years ago, still have the cheap blinders! Surprised I never came across EMDR will take a look.

And---of course, I know one shouldn't be using computer screens like you say a few hours before bed. I know better.

Mom--I know have asked you before---when do you take your trazadone. In the past when used for sleep before benzo use--it would knock me out for at least 7 hours. Wonder if I ought to take V earlier. Could be taking them too close together--30 minutes apart. Any thoughts?

I see the God a to z would gladden the mind and produce gratitude/self compassion.

Cheers

a post from FH for people that would like to have someone to talk to

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share a resource I found for those of you who want to talk, as opposed to just being on line, with other people who are tapering benzos. 

It's called the  Virtual Benzo Withdrawal Support Group and people speak on the phone or if they want, they cal let themselves be seen on video.

You find it by going to Meetup.com and put in the name, Virtual Benzo Withdrawal Support Group.

It's free and it's all peer support.  Its just getting started so its finding its footing right now. 

You access the video option by downloading the app called Zoom.  But if you don't have that option you can call in to the meeting  The womans name who started it is Lisa. 

She sends out an notice for the group meetings via email and in that email is the Zoom link and the phone number. 

Final Healing

a post from FH for people that would like to have someone to talk to

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share a resource I found for those of you who want to talk, as opposed to just being on line, with other people who are tapering benzos. 

It's called the  Virtual Benzo Withdrawal Support Group and people speak on the phone or if they want, they cal let themselves be seen on video.

You find it by going to Meetup.com and put in the name, Virtual Benzo Withdrawal Support Group.

It's free and it's all peer support.  Its just getting started so its finding its footing right now. 

You access the video option by downloading the app called Zoom.  But if you don't have that option you can call in to the meeting  The womans name who started it is Lisa. 

She sends out an notice for the group meetings via email and in that email is the Zoom link and the phone number. 

Final Healing

Thanks. Keep us posted. I was due to join a discussion group last week--on zoom. I bailed out. Decided best to concentrate on this issue before other less pressing ones featured on that conference.

Cheers

Blue,

I don't take Trazadone as it never worked for me and caused me major stomach issues.  I take small dose of Seroquel and I take it about 1-2 hours after the Valium. 

Hi, I just realized there was a valium support group. Good news.

I'm on 2.5-3 mg of K a day and want to switch to a longer lasting benzo. Currently I have to dose every 6 hrs, which is a pain. Hoping to get to 2-3 times a day.

Any advice on C/O to valium...just take my time and follow the Ashton method? I know V makes me sleepy,  but I'm more worried about wd sx from K? And any other things to look out for, experienced ones.

Hi, I just realized there was a valium support group. Good news.

I'm on 2.5-3 mg of K a day and want to switch to a longer lasting benzo. Currently I have to dose every 6 hrs, which is a pain. Hoping to get to 2-3 times a day.

Any advice on C/O to valium...just take my time and follow the Ashton method? I know V makes me sleepy,  but I'm more worried about wd sx from K? And any other things to look out for, experienced ones.

Hi Superfly. 3mg of Klonapin is equivalent to 60mg of Valium. You've got a long journey ahead of you and all I can tell you is to go slow and carefully this time. If valium makes you sleepy, that'll be a blessing on your ride down because sooner or later your sleep will break.

I was a very low dose K user (never more than 0.5mg/day) and averaging closer to 0.25mg/day for only a couple months and it's been a living hell trying to get off it. I literally sleep every other day now and I've only got 2.5mg of valium to wean off of. To me, it feels insurmountable, so I honestly can't imagine having to start as high as 60mg but as you'll see around here, people have done it successfully and you will too, as long as you don't rush it.

Here is Ashton's tapering schedule for 3mg of Klonapin: https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s6

Superfly, you are on quite a bit of k and it is strong.

.05 k equivalent to Valium is 10 mgs which at  at 3 mgs k = 60 mgs. Of Valium

Now , there is an option to front load some of the Valium to help with the k withdrawal.

Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with front loading, how much, etc.  And since that is a high dose of Valium, you may not need all 60 mgs.  But you will have options. 

I would take a version of this and place it on simple Ashton taper on Homepage and on the Withdrawal Support Group thread.  I will try to find it, because I could learn a lot from the support you get.

Good luck.  Mary!  💜

DJ100, I've a long way to go, indeed. Looking at this in years. I'm hoping I can reduce quicker in the early stages, but definitely going to have to slow it down as I get lower. When I tapered K (too quickly) I couldn't sleep for months...about drive me nuts.

K holds me about 6 hrs and the anxiety starts, so dosing every 6 hrs is hard so looking for something that would be good for sleep and can 2-3 times a day instead. 60 mgs might make me a zombie. Tha is for the Ashton schedule. Peace and best if luck

Thanks Mary, I'll need to look into this front loading thing. Yeah, I'm on a high amount and have a mountain to climb. That's what I get for not being fully resourced before tapering the first time. Thanks for the note

Jason

Thanks Mary, I'll need to look into this front loading thing. Yeah, I'm on a high amount and have a mountain to climb. That's what I get for not being fully resourced before tapering the first time. Thanks for the note

Jason

I know there are people on here that can explain it, sorry I'm just not one of them.  With your dose of k, front loading may be a good thing for you  :)

You may not need to front load because of the high dose.. and I think you will probably find that you can reduce a bit quicker at the beginning. You have lots of support here!