Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Magnolis,

I'm so sorry....wish there was some good advice I give and give you a big hug because I know how bad you feel as I have been there.  What are your main symptoms?  I know many are against adjunctives on here and I'm not a fan either BUT, I think sometimes they can help stablize us and get off the beast.  I know everyone quotes Parker and I will tell you she was on Remeron and she quotes that it helped her immensely.  I take very low dose of Seroquel and without it wouldn't sleep.  With that said, I had an adverse reaction to Remeron a long, long time ago before this so I'm not recommending anything in particular and in general, I'm against many psychiatric meds.  However, just wondering if there might be something that you would/could consider to try and get you past this point to help you stabilize and be able to pick your taper back up. 

I tried remeron. Disaster. Took vistaril. Panic attack. I take 130 mg trazadone. Does nothing. Tried seroqwel and it didn’t work. I just don’t know what to do

Hi Magnolis, I’m so sorry you are still suffering. I know how you feel! When I was having a very hard time during my taper I took promethazine. It helped with nausea as well as helping me sleep. I still take it sometimes for sleep. I did not like vistaril, it gave  me anxiety as well. Anyway, another idea. Hang in there! If you need to updose we will of course support you.

So all my interdose issues from the Xanax have been resolved and I’m taking my Valium at:

9am: 5mg

4pm: 2mg

9pm: 5mg

I’ve got my Xanax down to almost 1 mg which is taken at night, but I have a good feeling it’s interfering with my sleep at this point, not sure if I should spread the 1 mg xanax out evenly throughout the day at this point, had anyone heard of this type of situation? I’m currently tapering .003 daily of Xanax and only issue is sleep deprivation on rough nights...

So all my interdose issues from the Xanax have been resolved and I’m taking my Valium at:

9am: 5mg

4pm: 2mg

9pm: 5mg

I’ve got my Xanax down to almost 1 mg which is taken at night, but I have a good feeling it’s interfering with my sleep at this point, not sure if I should spread the 1 mg xanax out evenly throughout the day at this point, had anyone heard of this type of situation? I’m currently tapering .003 daily of Xanax and only issue is sleep deprivation on rough nights...

WPWP, I crossed from Xanax to Valium and was totally sedated.  Xanax is mostly for anxiety where Diazapam has 3 matabolites.  1 for sleep, 1 for muscle relaxant, 1 for anxiety.  If you have reached tolerance on the Xanax, spreading it out during daytime , could possibly help you sleep better.  It's a change, take it slowly, and see how you feel.  Now in saying that,  I read your post again and I don't get the feeling you are suffering, just annoying right now.  If that's the case, I would leave everything alone and not take a chance on destabilizing anything.  Just my thoughts, we are here if you need us  ;).  Mary 💜💜

Dear Cantfly and Mom,

Tq so much for your responses on my query. It makes me feel so much relieved to hear that from another buddy. 😊

Hope you all have a good day and continue to heal.

Warm regards to everyone, Dila.

Dear Cantfly and Mom,

Tq so much for your responses on my query. It makes me feel so much relieved to hear that from another buddy. 😊

Hope you all have a good day and continue to heal.

Warm regards to everyone, Dila.

:)

Hi-I have asked this on a few other threads, but this one might be the best place for it.

I crossedover from 1.5mg of ativan, and now, about 5 weeks later, I’m down to 12 mg valium.

I’m having  crushing depression, crying fits, and very low energy. The question: I’m

thinking about going back to ativan (it would be 1.2mg now), and doing a direct taper from the ativan. I know depression is a side effect of valium, but maybe valium is just not for me. I am concerned about kindling, going “backwards”, but these side effects are

brutal.  (As if ativan is a picnic!). I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or experience

re: going back to ativan after starting the valium c/o. Thanks.

Hi Faith,

So Ativan is about 10x the strength of Valium, so you would want to cross over from 1.5mg Ativan to 15mg Valium, is that what you did? Did you notice depression when you were on the 15mgs? It sounds like you have reduced 3mgs valium in 5 weeks, which to some would be very fast. Is it possible your symptoms are from withdrawal rather than the Valium itself?

I do know that some struggle with depression on Valium so I am not discounting that, but if it were me I would probably stay on the 15mgs valium for awhile to see if that works for me, then do a slower taper from there.

Hey Faith, I agree with OK, but one thing I would like to add, if you do decide to switch back, please don't do a straight switch, crossback at least at a moderate rate,  a straight switch may be a big shock to your brain and cns.  This is hard, just know we are here for you.  Mary ☮️💜☮️💜☮️💜

I posted this question in the titration forum, but figure I might get some help here as well. I’m trying to trouble shoot my DLMT (using vodka and water). I have good days and bad, maybe 50/50 per month. My previous taper (dry daily microtaper) was fairly smooth and I typically had maybe two bad days a month right before my cycle started. So I’m thinking of switching to a mix of tablets and liquid to see if that makes any difference. Does anyone have experience with this and how have you fared doing it this way?

To Olive Kitty and Mary-Thanks for the replies. I did start at 15 mg of valium, and went down 3 mg in 5 weeks, I suppose that is kind of fast. I will hold for a while, and slow it down. If I were to switch back to ativan, it would be gradual-you’re right Mary about shocking your CNS. I appreciate your support.

Faith

Kitsune,

I do a combo of tablets and the pharmacy liquid.  If you are worried it's the liquid, you could try the pharmacy (1 mg/1ml) or you could also do 2 mg in pill and 1 mg in liquid.  You could also consider whole fat milk or making a suspension with Oraplus but I'm guessing you already know this.  I can tell you that on homemade vodka solution with Klonopin, it was horrendous for me.  Tapering K was anyhow but the liquid, I felt a difference within a few days and it wasn't good.

Momof7babes, thank you! You responded to one of my posts a couple months ago. My doctor is out of the country until mid-March so Rx liquid isn’t currently an option (and I don’t know if she’ll prescribe it or not). My therapist is in the process of seeing if he can get the doctor he works with to take me on. I just want to know what’s going on in my body (and I realize no one can tell me that for certain). I figured fine tuning my taper might help minimize symptoms. I think part of it is simply that no two tapers are the same and I was fortunate that my last taper was so smooth, but it was a lot of work powdering my tablets and weighing them out. DLMT is much easier and less time consuming. I have propylene glycol, but I’ve heard some things about it not being a good substance to consume, so I’m reluctant to use it. By chance do you know if CVS can get the Rx liquid? How much comes in one bottle?

That's right - I forgot about that!  You couldn't get 2 mg pills either, if I recall. 

So I get mine from Sam's Club (anyone can use pharmacy, BTW) but I think that CVS was also able to order it for me if I remember correct but your doctor just tells them how many MLs per month and they fill it - pretty simple.....and cheap for me since I'm a member (only like $6 for 60 MLs (60 mg).    It's not something that they regularly carry and I had to call around - my local pharmacist could NOT get it, but only the 5mg/1ML solution.  The pharmacy Roxane (now made by Westward) of 1mg/1ML has propylene glycol in it but I know I'm not consuming much so I'm not worried about it.  I wouldn't be worried about using it if I were you as it's gonna be a minimal amount.  I also was looking at Humco Flavor Blend as my back up (in place or Oraplus) which someone else on here recommended.  You can get it from Amazon.  Oh, I know the pain of cutting(crushing) and weighing.  Liquid is much easier but if I was feeling like crud like you and you think it could be your liquid (and I wouldn't be surprised), I'd be looking to try something different. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773DL1XJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Hey all,

I have a question for those who have been tapering valium for a while or have successfully tapered off. I have been tapering rather quickly over the past month from 5mg down to 2.7mg last night. Symptoms had been manageable and I was getting good enough sleep to survive...until last night. I don't know what happened, but I started getting agitated throughout the day until I had a full-blown panic attack right at bedtime.

So now what should I do? Is this where I hold at 2.7mg for a while? If so, how long? Do I updose back to 3 or 3.5mg and then go slower?

Thank you!

Momof7babes, I’ve been debating switching over to PG and see if it makes a difference. I’m still functional, just feel like I’m on a rollercoaster from day to day. I’ll have a really good day and then the next anxiety creeps back in. I know some of this is to be expected, but It would be wonderful if I could smooth things out. I do have some 2 mg tablets, just not many, so I’d like to work through the 5 mg ones first if possible. I will contact my pharmacy and see if they can order the Rx liquid, that way I can tell my doctor that it’s available and remove that barrier for her.

DJ100, Your taper rate is rather fast as you are well aware. With Valium’s long half-life withdrawal symptoms can take time to develop. I would hold and see if things settle down for you. If I hinge don’t settle that’s when considering a small updose might be advised.

Momof7babes, I’ve been debating switching over to PG and see if it makes a difference. I’m still functional, just feel like I’m on a rollercoaster from day to day. I’ll have a really good day and then the next anxiety creeps back in. I know some of this is to be expected, but It would be wonderful if I could smooth things out. I do have some 2 mg tablets, just not many, so I’d like to work through the 5 mg ones first if possible. I will contact my pharmacy and see if they can order the Rx liquid, that way I can tell my doctor that it’s available and remove that barrier for her.

DJ100, Your taper rate is rather fast as you are well aware. With Valium’s long half-life withdrawal symptoms can take time to develop. I would hold and see if things settle down for you. If I hinge don’t settle that’s when considering a small updose might be advised.

Kitsune, great post.

Went to my doctor this morning. He is a good listner, he takes me and my sxs very serious, has experience in withdrawalcare. He decided to  put me on 15 mg of Diazepam , 3 x 5 mg a day. I used 15 mg Oxazepam and at night 5-15 mg Zolpidem. What effects can I expect? He didn’t see much benefit from replacing Oxazepam with Diazepam gradually.

Nik, all benzo's are different and have different side effects and cause different withdrawal symptoms.

It's easier on your brain and cns to give it an opportunity to settle into the new benzo slowly so it isn't shocked and destabilized.  I hope you do okay, some people will, some will struggle.  If he will let you , definitely hold when you do that sraight cross.  Wait unti you see you are pretty tolerable before you start tapering.  Just my thoughts, take time and don't hurry.....you are looking for some stability.

Mary 💜☮️

Jokkio, it's great you found a doc that seems to be pretty good - what a blessing!  Mary's post was spot on.  I can also tell you why a gradual c/o is recommended.  1 - your OX is short acting and Valium is very long acting.  Therefore, it's all about half lives.  As you start cutting the OX, you are going to go in w/d but it takes a while for that Valium to build up and "replace" it.  2 - You may not need the full c/o conversion amount if you do it more slowly and Ashton mentions this.  As Mary said, you could be fine w/a direct switchover but why risk it?  Another option, though, if you go this route is to front load your Valium.....take the Valium for a few days before you drop the OX, that way you the Valium has had time to get into your system and build up real good first.

Also, you may want to consider ditching your Zolpidem and adding in more Valium to get off it as well - see Ashton's conversions.  It's a "baby" benzo and causes problems for some, though not all. 

Best wishes to you!!!

Jokkio, it's great you found a doc that seems to be pretty good - what a blessing!  Mary's post was spot on.  I can also tell you why a gradual c/o is recommended.  1 - your OX is short acting and Valium is very long acting.  Therefore, it's all about half lives.  As you start cutting the OX, you are going to go in w/d but it takes a while for that Valium to build up and "replace" it.  2 - You may not need the full c/o conversion amount if you do it more slowly and Ashton mentions this.  As Mary said, you could be fine w/a direct switchover but why risk it?  Another option, though, if you go this route is to front load your Valium.....take the Valium for a few days before you drop the OX, that way you the Valium has had time to get into your system and build up real good first.

Also, you may want to consider ditching your Zolpidem and adding in more Valium to get off it as well - see Ashton's conversions.  It's a "baby" benzo and causes problems for some, though not all. 

Best wishes to you!!!

Great post Mom, added in some good suggestions.  I need to remember front loading when I try to help, it wasn't talked about much when I started  ;):thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind and helpful reactions here! This site really is a bliss!

I discussed the gradual c/o , but the doctor was not in for this. He really wasn't worried about my adaption to the Diazepam. Today I started the Valium. I must say, after two doses now, I feel less miserable than the last two days. That's hopeful I think. The Zolpidem has stopped also. Hope I can sleep tonight....

So:  15 mg Oxazepam and 5-15 mg Zolpidem was now replaced by 15 mg Diazepam.

If sxs settle down/stabilize, dr. 's plan is to cut 1 mg. a week.