Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Wow - I had the same experience with probiotics.  Even my 3 year old daughter, who is obviously not on benzos, seemed to have a negative mental reaction to probiotics - throwing major fits/tantrums and the whole works.  Stopped the probiotics and she was fine.  I wonder if Mary is right - you have to start low and work your way up, not sure.  I've not tried CBD in all of this - too afraid but for some, it seems to help, others make worse, just like everything it seems. 

Any thoughts on True Bliss gummies? They supposedly have cbd, but no thc. Supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia? I have never smoked pot or eaten any. I do not want any "high." But if anyone knows about these kind of gummies, do they work?

Joy, I know a lot of different people use cbd, for some it works well ,for others it doesn't work at all or makes them feel bad.  Really the only way you will know is by trying.  :). Mary

Tx Mary!! Sometimes a person just wants to grab at straws. I have to be careful of that tendency. To your point, probiotics knocked me for a loop....but I know they helped other folks. :smitten:

Lol, probiotics is the only thing I can take  :).  Benzo's just suck  ;) now I did start out at a low dose of the probiotic and worked my way to a whole one, that may have helped.  💜💜

Mary how do you start out slow? Open the capsules.? I am more than willing to give it another go.....

Any thoughts on True Bliss gummies? They supposedly have cbd, but no thc. Supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia? I have never smoked pot or eaten any. I do not want any "high." But if anyone knows about these kind of gummies, do they work?

Joy, I know a lot of different people use cbd, for some it works well ,for others it doesn't work at all or makes them feel bad.  Really the only way you will know is by trying.  :). Mary

Tx Mary!! Sometimes a person just wants to grab at straws. I have to be careful of that tendency. To your point, probiotics knocked me for a loop....but I know they helped other folks. :smitten:

Lol, probiotics is the only thing I can take  :).  Benzo's just suck  ;) now I did start out at a low dose of the probiotic and worked my way to a whole one, that may have helped.  💜💜

Mary how do you start out slow? Open the capsules.? I am more than willing to give it another go.....

Yes, exactly, I did my best at 1/3 a pill at a time, every other day.  Once I worked up to 1 pill, it said take for 2 weeks and then start taking them every 3 days .  Mine were recommended by someone on here who had done a lot of research, it's been a long time since then, I don't remember their name.  The name of the probiotic is True Flora.  You can get them on Amazon.  They seem expensive but when you get to the a pill every 3 days, they aren't bad at all.  One thing I have learned through this withdrawal, start everything slow  ;). Good luck?  🍀🍀🍀

Hi everyone,

Do you also have the cognitive fog? I'm working (self employed) and dealing with my stuff but I consider myself mentally disabled for the last months and I don't feel it's improving. I struggle understanding simple things that used to be very easy, and when I make a mental effort to help my daughter with homework I then feel super sick and dizzy and stressed out. I've taken on some excel classes and when the guy increases the difficulty a bit, I become overly stressed and also dizzy and sick. I have to ask him to make the classes really easy. I told him I'm damaged by a medication (he must think I'm crazy but I'm the one who's paying). I don't know how I would've handled this brain in my office days, although there were a few not very bright people there but still.. Do you also have this symptom or did you have it and it went away? And anyway I really don't know why I'm asking because I'm starting to learn that what happened to one doesn't happen to another, but I need to ask. Thanks for reading.

Val,

Oh YES, I struggle with this as well.  My brain can't handle too much info.  Also,when I was in the thick of acute w/d on Klonopin, I couldn't even read adult fiction books - I was reading 3rd grade level books only.  I had to quit work - I was an analyst and I would become extremely frustrated and agitated because I couldn't handle anything that required critical thinking.  Now on Valium, I feel pretty dumbed down, foggy still and try not to take on too much that requires my brain so I don't overstimulate myself.  So sorry you are experiencing this, especially being self employed.

Thanks mom. My job is not very mentally challenging. It's emotionally challenging though. You never updosed right? I think you're tapering again. Have you noticed any improvement in this particular symptom? I think you were improving in other areas and I hope so. I'm not tapering for now. I can't afford being worse than this.

Val,

I didn't updose but I personally feel that the c/o from .375 Klonopin to 6.5 Valium was taken as an "updose" by my body, even though it was less than Ashton's conversion amounts - I can only guess on this based on symptoms.  I have definitely noticed improvement (likely because of that), but like almost everything, it's still there to a degree.  Far from normal, that's for sure.  And I'm VERY careful to try to avoid overtaxing my nervous system. 

Mom, I'm glad you're back to tapering and even improving, as you had lost all hope last summer. It's great to see someone making progress after a crash.

Hello. I'm new here. Got some questions.

I've already tapered my Valium down from 5mg to 3.75mg in 13 days. So far so good. In fact, I feel much better than when I was trying to taper my clonazepam and failed. I'm sleeping fairly good this week and not having anxiety. I followed the Ashton equivalency chart but I feel like I must have updosed since my symptoms this week are very minimal.

As I continue to taper, I know I will hit that wall sooner or later and need to slow down the taper. But here's my question, since Valium lasts so long in the body, how can I know what dose was too low or too fast of a cut?

Is it possible for people to taper off valium easily per Ashtons timeline with minimal withdrawal problems?

I've already tapered my Valium down from 5mg to 3.75mg in 13 days. So far so good. In fact, I feel much better than when I was trying to taper my clonazepam and failed. I'm sleeping fairly good this week and not having anxiety. I followed the Ashton equivalency chart but I feel like I must have updosed since my symptoms this week are very minimal.

As I continue to taper, I know I will hit that wall sooner or later and need to slow down the taper. But here's my question, since Valium lasts so long in the body, how can I know what dose was too low or too fast of a cut?

Is it possible for people to taper off valium easily per Ashtons timeline with minimal withdrawal problems?

Hey DJ.  A lot of people think the Ashton crossover is high, however you taperered 15% in 13 days.  I would slow down now, imo, if you keep on like this, a very good chance you will hit a wall that is going to cause you a lot of trouble.  No one can tell you a specific number because everyone is so different.

5 to 10 % every couple of weeks.  I am glad it was a high crossover and you feel good now.  Truthfully, since you dropped so fast, I would drop to around 7% now and hope you continue to feel good.  Give your brain and central nervous system an opportunity to catch up with your taper.  Don't wait until you are symptomatic or it may be too late to continue to have an easier taper.  Good luck.  Keep us posted.  Mary 💜💜💜

Hey DJ.  A lot of people think the Ashton crossover is high, however you taperered 15% in 13 days.  I would slow down now, imo, if you keep on like this, a very good chance you will hit a wall that is going to cause you a lot of trouble.  No one can tell you a specific number because everyone is so different.

5 to 10 % every couple of weeks.  I am glad it was a high crossover and you feel good now.  Truthfully, since you dropped so fast, I would drop to around 7% now and hope you continue to feel good.  Give your brain and central nervous system an opportunity to catch up with your taper.  Don't wait until you are symptomatic or it may be too late to continue to have an easier taper.  Good luck.  Keep us posted.  Mary 💜💜💜

So is Ashton's tapering schedule too fast then? It suggests a 1mg cut every 1-2 weeks from 5mg and downwards and makes mention that some folks need to do 0.5mg cuts. That's still more than 5-10% every couple of weeks as I ve seen others say on this forum.

I only used Z-drugs for 4 weeks and clonazepam for 2 months while trying to cut. I thought I was free and clear until the third day after my last dose when I suddenly got burning hands and feet and really agitated which scared me and made me jump back to 0.5mg clonazepam. That's when I asked to try the valium substitute. Am I already past being able to get off all these drugs quickly?

Yes, as Mary mentions..

I imagine you dont want to hang around “on med” due to short use, but imo, if there is a time to invest a couple of weeks, it would probably be now..  You may not need to totally hold your reductions, but were it me, I would be cautious for a bit after the changes... The feedback you get should serve you well as you then continue on...

So is Ashton's tapering schedule too fast then? It suggests a 1mg cut every 1-2 weeks from 5mg and downwards and makes mention that some folks need to do 0.5mg cuts. That's still more than 5-10% every couple of weeks as I ve seen others say on this forum.

I only used Z-drugs for 4 weeks and clonazepam for 2 months while trying to cut. I thought I was free and clear until the third day after my last dose when I suddenly got burning hands and feet and really agitated which scared me and made me jump back to 0.5mg clonazepam. That's when I asked to try the valium substitute. Am I already past being able to get off all these drugs quickly?

Ashton talks in %'s of mgs to taper.  I hope not, that's why I would slow down now .  Everyone is different, we all react differently to each drug.  It's so much easier to taper if you aren't having rough symptoms and the best way to do that, is to take your time and let your body be in sync with your taper.  Take the time and make sure, you don't hit that wall, if you continue to push your taper, the better chance you will.  Quickly and taper are rarely 2 words that work together.  Those are the people you don't see on bb.  Now, there is a chance, you might be one of those people, but since you have already had some rough symptoms, imo, you should take your time  :)

Hello group

A confession. The last five days, I have increased dose by .50 mg. The cut made a few weeks ago. Not for increased wd sx but, rather, a desire to feel a bit better. The dose is so insignificant that it made no impact. In fact, decided to take part of my dose this am--2 mg--and felt crappy and lethargic. Best to take as usual prior to bed.

This week, a personal decision, I made a few years ago arose like a hammer--forced to acknowledge the negative consequences. Now, suspect that as I taper, the suppression of its impact is being seen more realistically. The resolution is very simple--mindful self forgiveness and self compassion. And time. Like many I am very hard on myself--the inner critic.

Albeit, shall attempt to eliminate the extra .50 mg in coming days/weeks.

Cheers

Hello group

A confession. The last five days, I have increased dose by .50 mg. The cut made a few weeks ago. Not for increased wd sx but, rather, a desire to feel a bit better. The dose is so insignificant that it made no impact. In fact, decided to take part of my dose this am--2 mg--and felt crappy and lethargic. Best to take as usual prior to bed.

This week, a personal decision, I made a few years ago arose like a hammer--forced to acknowledge the negative consequences. Now, suspect that as I taper, the suppression of its impact is being seen more realistically. The resolution is very simple--mindful self forgiveness and self compassion. And time. Like many I am very hard on myself--the inner critic.

Cheers

You have no reason to feel guilty, we had no idea the meds could do this to us, however self compassion, we need to give ourselves in bucketloads every day.  I think we all struggle with the guilt, but try hard not to give it room.  You are here on a hard journey and fighting everyday.  That is something to be proud of, know we are here with you blue.  There are all these things in a "bucket"

a rescue dose, updosing, changing taper plans, amounts, a supplement, these are all things to try during your taper at times to keep moving forward.  They aren't things to use often, but remembering the bucket is there, if really needed, can maybe give you some peace.  LY, Mary 💜

Have to have a medical procedure this month. I don't  want anything to be messed up because I insisted on no benzos..God forbid I bring about some crisis while I am under...question, will this one time benzo prelude to general anesthesia hurt me? Or,,  does anyone know of a benzo free alternative that was safe for them? I have just worked so dang hard to get where I am. I could really use some opinions.....

Have to have a medical procedure this month. I don't  want anything to be messed up because I insisted on no benzos..God forbid I bring about some crisis while I am under...question, will this one time benzo prelude to general anesthesia hurt me? Or,,  does anyone know of a benzo free alternative that was safe for them? I have just worked so dang hard to get where I am. I could really use some opinions.....

I know quite a few people that use benzo's for procedures.  The one I see the most is Versed.  Joy, it's just called a "one off" and the next day you just get back on your schedule.  You will be fine.  Let us know how the procedure goes.  Mary 💜

I know quite a few people that use benzo's for procedures.  The one I see the most is Versed.  Joy, it's just called a "one off" and the next day you just get back on your schedule.  You will be fine.  Let us know how the procedure goes.  Mary 💜

Oh Mary thank you sooooooo much for the reassuring words!

Blue,

Mary put it perfectly.  Hang in there - it's a struggle for all of us.  Don't beat yourself up and move forward as best as you can.  Maybe your cuts need to be a little smaller now since you are getting lower?

I remember being a wreck when I had my cataract surgery, everyone came on and told me  :D. Made me feel a lot better ;)

Hello group

Cheers

You have no reason to feel guilty, we had no idea the meds could do this to us, however self compassion, we need to give ourselves in bucketloads every day.  I think we all struggle with the guilt, but try hard not to give it room.  You are here on a hard journey and fighting everyday.  That is something to be proud of, know we are here with you blue.  There are all these things in a "bucket"

a rescue dose, updosing, changing taper plans, amounts, a supplement, these are all things to try during your taper at times to keep moving forward.  They aren't things to use often, but remembering the bucket is there, if really needed, can maybe give you some peace.  LY, Mary 💜

Blue,

Mary put it perfectly.  Hang in there - it's a struggle for all of us.  Don't beat yourself up and move forward as best as you can.  Maybe your cuts need to be a little smaller now since you are getting lower?

Thank you both for the encouraging words and insightful understanding. Most appreciated.

And yes, Momof7babes--I sense that smaller cuts will be helpful even from a psychological standpoint. Notice a bit of apprehension as the cuts are being reduced from lower levels.

Cheers

Even Ashton addresses this in her FAQ. She says in effect---no problem, it part of a medical procedure.

Cheers

Jo,y about this:

will this one time benzo prelude to general anesthesia hurt me?

No,  it won't. I'll just reaffirm what others have said -- things will be fine.

I had several procedures during my taper that needed a benzo for anesthetic, and I took Versed. No problems at all.

Hope this helps,

Katz

I remember being a wreck when I had my cataract surgery, everyone came on and told me  :D. Made me feel a lot better ;)

It sure helps knowing it went without a hitch . Thank you so much for the reassurance.