Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Joy, I agree with everyone here. I had an endoscopy and was worried about the same thing. I was totally fine.

Thank you for sharing that. It puts my mind at ease. We have all worked so hard for the progress  we have made.  :thumbsup:

Hey guys. I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

If we hit tolerance on Valium during our time on it, and then we decide to come off, do our receptors upregulate as we taper? How exactly does tolerance effect us compared to those who are tapering off that never reached tolerance?

I know I was in tolerance and someone recently told me that I won’t begin to heal until I’m fully off bc of that. Looking for insight.

Ashton says, I believe, that in either scenario, the body is always seeking to mend. My personal belief if that each day we are healing. Upregulating. Seeking homeostasis. Even if the amount of healing seems imperceptible it is still going on. :thumbsup:

Joyalast51 and group:

Hi

Joy--have a question for you. Noticed on your sig. that you made some good sized cuts and then--8/22/19 updosed to 5.0 mg V.

Your reductions have been impressive given 14 years of that beastly X.

What were the circumstances leading to your updose.

And how was the cutting thereafter.

Last week, I increased by .50 mg. due to unexpected stress level. Taking 4 mg dose late in the evening. And 1 mg during the day--sometimes mid-day and sometimes late.

Always have had some irritating sx during the day--is this to be expected?

If you look at my sig. I did make some big reductions late last year, in hindsight, likely too big. This morning, out of the blue, felt more uncomfortable than usual, as an experiment took 1 mg. and will take regular dose at PM. Seems to have reduced sx by 50%.

What are the groups thoughts on dosing time schedule. Ashton advocates once daily at night for V tapering. Do you spread out your dose. I favor PM for sleep taking dose around 8:30 PM. Yet getting daytime sx.

What gets me is that in the overall scheme of things--4 mg to 5 mg are very modest doses and nothing like the more powerful X and K.

Also, noted a thread about mornings as the not so good time of day for sx's. As evening progesses, I begin to feel better. Wonder if this is something others also experience.

All advise and input is welcomed!

Cheers

Joyalast51 and group:

Hi

Joy--have a question for you. Noticed on your sig. that you made some good sized cuts and then--8/22/19 updosed to 5.0 mg V.

Last week, I increased by .50 mg. due to unexpected stress level. Taking 4 mg dose late in the evening. And 1 mg during the day--sometimes mid-day and sometimes late.

If you look at my sig. I did make some big reductions late last year, in hindsight, likely too big. This morning, out of the blue, felt more uncomfortable than usual, as an experiment took 1 mg. and will take regular dose at PM. Seems to have reduced sx by 50%.

What are the groups thoughts on dosing time schedule. Ashton advocates once daily at night for V tapering. Do you spread out your dose. I favor PM for sleep taking dose around 8:30 PM. Yet getting daytime sx.

What gets me is that in the overall scheme of things--4 mg to 5 mg are very modest doses and nothing like the more powerful X and K.

Also, noted a thread about mornings as the not so good time of day for sx's. As evening progesses, I begin to feel better. Wonder if this is something others also experience.

Cheers

Hey Blue, when I started tapering, I tapered 3 x a day.  That was around 17 mgs, now at 8.8, I take 2.  Split by 5.5 a m and 3.3 night time.  Valium has such a long half life and you have been taking it a while, if you want to change doses, you should be okay in my opinion.  Make yourself as comfortable as you can on your daily dose.  Especially if you can control those symptoms that much better.  One day I will go down to one, but truthfully I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as you are taking your time.  LY, Mary 💜💜💜

Joyalast51 and group:

Hi

Cheers

Hi! Yes in the beginning, my cuts are large because my V dosage was 40 mg to begin. Everything went smoothly, relatively speaking,  until that 33% cut to 3.75. Wrong move on my part. Was a percent miscalculation. Symptoms got real, real fast. So I bumped back up to 5. I absolutely spread out my allotment throughout the day. When I had to updose, I felt I failed myself. I felt dumb. Then I decided to let that go and just watch my math better. 5 to 7% seems to be ok. Everyone is different.  What works for someone might not work for someone else. Now, after a cut, the first week I am pretty ok. Days 7 to 13, kinda rough due to valium lag (the half life catches up to you). Third week much more stable. I am trying hard to monitor stress, and keep drinking water and exercising.  I have an unshakable belief that our bodies are hard wired to heal. Benzos are insidious and they make us scared and afraid. An anxious mind climbs a precarious mental rock wall. I liken the Benzo paradox to those spirits that flew out of the Ark of the Covenant in Indiana Jones. At first all nice and pretty.....taking all your troubles away.....then when tolerance hits, benzos melt your fraking face off metaphorically. Lololol.  So, to wind up, I am going to aim for 5 to 9% every 2 to 3 weeks. I send you light, and peaceful determination. Take this a day at a time and know that just because another person experiences some devastating thing, that does not mean you will.  :smitten:

Blue,

I dose almost evenly 3X per day (2 am, 1.8 afternoon, 1.9 pm) and I microtaper - I may be able to get by with 2X per day b/c I don't feel the physical need to take the dose at this point but I feel like for me, it's just better at this point to stay evened out all together.  The afternoon dose still makes me feel a bit tired and lethargic but I'll take it over mind blowing anxiety any day. 

Thank you Mary and Joy and Mom:

Joy--once again appreciate your insight and your kind inspiring prose.

Mary, indeed, the half-life issue is an important point.

And the stress factor does interfere with ones momentum. It is amazing how these benzos interfere with coping, (i.e. easily handled low stress events which were taken in stride in the past). My router went out a few weeks ago, and my reaction was way out of proportion to how I would have responded a year ago.

Mary I did push a bit too much during quick cross over and following weeks.

Suppose best bet is to take 1 mg day time until get a bit stable. The temptation is to up it to 1.5 mg.

Yes, mom my small daytime dose does one thing--make me lethargic. After the crossover to V my simple Yoga exercises drifted away. Like you say better than anxiety and---much better than those dastardly X interdose wd's experienced within a few month of use--they woke me up quickly--time to eliminate benzos. That was no fun and fairly short period of use.

Much more to discuss, but, shall discipline my long winded tendency. Will save for later.

Still--open for advise and suggestions by others.

Lastly, as a thank you -- here is a self compassion audio meditation by Kristin Neff, I found yesterday -- you all and group may find of value. 

https://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/LKM.self-compassion_cleaned.mp3

Cheers

PS: As I mentioned in original post as the day fades away and night time arrives--I generally feel better. Anyone else experience such.

Blue,

Have you considered microtapering?  Could help eliminate the anticipatory dread of having to make those cuts.  Guessing you have but just thought I might throw it out there for consideration again. 

Blue,

Have you considered microtapering?  Could help eliminate the anticipatory dread of having to make those cuts.  Guessing you have but just thought I might throw it out there for consideration again.

Hi Mom

An excellent idea. Would provide a better sense of control and like you say--ameliorate the anticipatory dread. Wonder if same principle applies to liquid taper.

Sounds good.

Can you point me in the right direction to learn how to do it.

Cheers

Hi all,

I am sorry if this sounds awkward. But I seriously would like to know if having sex with someone who takes benzo will affect my tapering off from benzo. Fyi, it is my husband who is also now taking benzo so I am just afraid that if his sperm contains benzo and it is somehow absorbed by me through sexual intercouse. I am doing fairly ok in my tapering right now so if possible I do not want anything to become a setback to my success in tapering. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Dila.

Hi all,

I am sorry if this sounds awkward. But I seriously would like to know if having sex with someone who takes benzo will affect my tapering off from benzo. Fyi, it is my husband who is also now taking benzo so I am just afraid that if his sperm contains benzo and it is somehow absorbed by me through sexual intercouse. I am doing fairly ok in my tapering right now so if possible I do not want anything to become a setback to my success in tapering. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Dila.

I doubt there have been any studies done..

And being a guy, I cant speak from personal experience...

So the most im allowed to say is.. -Were it Me, I wouldnt be too worried about it..

My guess would be that any post “activity” symptoms would be from the exercise and/or hormone or chemistry fluctuations related to sex in general, -temporary in nature...

Blue,

Do you want to do a liquid titration or try to dry cut?  There are boards on BBfor tapering but I'm sure several of us could give tips also.  For me, I use a combo of pills and liquid diazepam right now (1mg/1ML or 5mg/5ML).  I am at 4 mg pills and 1.7 mg liquid.  I make my liquid by using a ratio of 99ML of distilled water, and add 1ML of the liquid.  I use the discard method because I just like to make mine fresh every day.  It's wasting medicine but I don't really care.  Sometimes, I will save the amount discarded for a couple of days and make less on 1 out of 3 days or something like that.  Anyhow, I use a 60ML and 10 ML syringes to measure my water; then a 1 ML syringe to draw up my medicine and then 10ML and 1ML syringes to draw up my discarded dose.  I also use a kitchen scale to double check everything and have a spreadsheet to mark it all off.  I can only discard 1.1ML or .011mg per day but you can likely go quicker - everyone's on their own pace with this.  There are some good posts from Diaz-Pam on titration. 

Dila,

I wouldn't give that another thought - I'm guessing a zero impact.  Liken it to having sex with someone highly inebriated - there's no transfer of the alcohol.  I'm sure many can attest to that. 

Thank you Mary and Joy and Mom:

Joy--once again appreciate your insight and your kind inspiring prose.

Mary, indeed, the half-life issue is an important point.

And the stress factor does interfere with ones momentum. It is amazing how these benzos interfere with coping, (i.e. easily handled low stress events which were taken in stride in the past). My router went out a few weeks ago, and my reaction was way out of proportion to how I would have responded a year ago.

Mary I did push a bit too much during quick cross over and following weeks.

Suppose best bet is to take 1 mg day time until get a bit stable. The temptation is to up it to 1.5 mg.

Yes, mom my small daytime dose does one thing--make me lethargic. After the crossover to V my simple Yoga exercises drifted away. Like you say better than anxiety and---much better than those dastardly X interdose wd's experienced within a few month of use--they woke me up quickly--time to eliminate benzos. That was no fun and fairly short period of use.

Much more to discuss, but, shall discipline my long winded tendency. Will save for later.

Still--open for advise and suggestions by others.

Lastly, as a thank you -- here is a self compassion audio meditation by Kristin Neff, I found yesterday -- you all and group may find of value. 

https://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/LKM.self-compassion_cleaned.mp3

Cheers

PS: As I mentioned in original post as the day fades away and night time arrives--I generally feel better. Anyone else experience such.

Blue, I know a lot of people that have a specific period time of day they feel better.  A girlfriend of mine calls evening " her calming period."  That's her chance to read , eat a better meal, things like that.  The days are really rough, so that period is very special to her.  I also know people days are best.  Benzo's are so hard to understand.  Glad you are having sometime.  💜💜💜

Mom

Later today, will explore the forum as you suggested. Then chat with you again.

Mary

For some reason this am sx were like they were a month ago. Feeling heady/tense forehead, eye twitching returned after disappearing for a month or so, and some anxiety rather than the usual restlessness. Slept a bit over 6 hours. Took 1 mg at 9:30 am yet still feeling sx. You are correct these benzo wd are really odd--I guess it is the waves I hear about. Typically, I stay home the vast majority of time since tapering. But, today, have to do a few things.

Patiently, waiting for the calmer evening!

Cheers

Blue,  the eye twitching thing I have had off and on since tapering.  I hate it, especially if I have to go somewhere.  It's really hard for other people to see, thank goodness.  Hope your calming evening comes soon.  💜💜💜💜

Blue,  the eye twitching thing I have had off and on since tapering.  I hate it, especially if I have to go somewhere.  It's really hard for other people to see, thank goodness.  Hope your calming evening comes soon.  💜💜💜💜

Mary

Have learned to not take it seriously. Bet it is imperceptible to others. It stopped this afternoon. And I began to feel 50% better early in afternoon.

Just one of those things.

Appreciate the hearts...

Mom:

Still reading taper methods. Gets a bit complicated. Both require math and tools for the process.

Shall get with you in near future.

What is the recommend % reduction as one get down in the 5 or less mg range.

Cheers

Blue,

There's not really a standard percentage.  You could start low and if tolerate, increase.  Microtapering doesn't necessarily mean ultra slow for everyone - it just keeps you from "shocking" your system with larger cuts....one issue, though is to go too quickly and then the cuts can add up so you have to be careful.  It really does seem to be different for everyone - like 1-10% every 2 weeks.  Some will taper for several days and then hold for a week or two or more.  Seems to be lots of variations. 

Blue,

There's not really a standard percentage.  You could start low and if tolerate, increase.  Microtapering doesn't necessarily mean ultra slow for everyone - it just keeps you from "shocking" your system with larger cuts....one issue, though is to go too quickly and then the cuts can add up so you have to be careful.  It really does seem to be different for everyone - like 1-10% every 2 weeks.  Some will taper for several days and then hold for a week or two or more.  Seems to be lots of variations.

Great post Mom.  Blue when you are ready to taper, depending much on your symptoms to pick your %.  Mom was absolutely correct, start low and slow,if you do well, you can always increase.

Don't get caught up in the Ashton %'s, especially as low as you are.  They are too high for a lot of people.  We will all be here to help and cheer you on, when that time comes.  💜💜💜

Hello my name is jimmy and looking to make friends during this journey. I was prescribed .5mg three times a day Xanax for 4 years. I found a benzo wise doctor that is familiar with The Ashton manual 3 hours away which I have to see every two months. He switched me directly to Valium 30mg. So it’s been about almost two weeks. I have to call in a refill every two weeks so the next week I will begin tapering to 27.5mg. So it would be a 2.5mg reduction every two weeks. I’m a bit nervous but hope to see some positive progress. Xanax gave me terrible intolerance and interdose withdrawals. I would say I’m fairly stabile for now just heavily sedated. Thank you to whoever is listening I’m still trying to accept all of this.

-Jimmy

Hello my name is jimmy and looking to make friends during this journey. I was prescribed .5mg three times a day Xanax for 4 years. I found a benzo wise doctor that is familiar with The Ashton manual 3 hours away which I have to see every two months. He switched me directly to Valium 30mg. So it’s been about almost two weeks. I have to call in a refill every two weeks so the next week I will begin tapering to 27.5mg. So it would be a 2.5mg reduction every two weeks. I’m a bit nervous but hope to see some positive progress. Xanax gave me terrible intolerance and interdose withdrawals. I would say I’m fairly stabile for now just heavily sedated. Thank you to whoever is listening I’m still trying to accept all of this.

-Jimmy

Hey there Jimmy.. :)

Welcome Jimmy and best wishes on your journey.  It's great that you are stable and found a benzo-wise doctor and have already successfully c/o to Valium - you are already ahead of the game in that regards.  Just a heads up, though, you MAY need to go slower than Ashton recommends.  That's what many on here find, at least those of us that are very sensitive and destabilized - some of us even microtaper extremely small amounts daily to avoid big shocks to our system.  On the other hand, you may be absolutely fine as many are.  Just something for you to keep in mind as you go along. 

HI Jimmy! Welcome. I do agree with Mom, you are off to a good start! And also, you may need to slow down at some point. When I first crossed over I felt stable and sedated as well. The bigger cuts are easier to do at higher doses. As you get lower you might need to make smaller cuts, I had to around 5mg I think. Or it may be a breeze for you and you can join the Easier Taper Support Group! We all wish that for you!

I posted in updose group also. It’s a small group so I’m re posting here. I crashed Sept 15. Nov 3 I updosed ,75. Dec I saw some improvements. Since Jan 1 I have been getting worse . Anxiety that is very bad and lack of sleep that made me stop working and be non functional. I haven’t been able to work since Sept. I’m thinking the .75 was not enough. I’m thinking of updosing another 1.25 totaling 4 mg to attempt to get stable. I have never gotten stable.  Could I have some feedback please?