Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Moving to another state. Will it be hard to find a new do doctor?

[Je...]

I disappeared from here for awhile .  I got from 30mg Valium to 6mg of Valium and my dog and best friend of 15 years died and I couldn’t handle It and went up to 20-30mg for 2-3 weeks

i know I could try tapering back down much faster but definitely I can not go back down to my 6mg dose. 

I really feel like 2 years of progress gone down the drain.  Also, I realize I need to leave California and be somewhere new, away from everything that reminds me of him.

will it be hard to get a doctor to help me taper showing I had a doctor already? I’m wondering how fast I can taper knowing I’ve only been at these high doses for this long.  

My doctor is such a nice guy but I can’t be in this town anymore. It’s eating me alive.  

thanks everyone and i tapered slow while getting off 600mg lyrica and also opiates, staying away from negative stories it’s like autosuggestion.  

thanks 

[je...]

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. They truly become like family to us. This journey is so hard. 

Unfortunately I’m not in the USA so I can’t answer your question but I just wanted to say how deeply sorry I am about your dog. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]

I’m so, so very sorry about the loss of your dog. I have 2 and know how extremely important they are, especially during the torment and isolation of w/d. My heart bleeds for you.

I would contact doctors before moving, explain your situation and plan to taper; tell them you will provide them with a copy of the Ashton Manual to go by and make sure you will have a prescription when you arrive in your new destination.

Maybe look for 1 on Psychology Today to find someone who takes your insurance. You can email them through that site too so maybe spend a day emailing a dozen to weed those out who won’t be helpful.

I would imagine after securing a new Dr the move will be easier with 1 less thing to worry about.

And please keep looking forward and don’t go down that rabbit hole of ‘putting yourself back 2 years’. You don’t know that is true and you did what you needed to do to survive an incredibly painful and difficult time.

• Like 1

[Le...]

the rules about benzos are slower to be adopted where I am cause I am in a less litigious country. it may be hard but ask your doc to refer you to someone to continue the taper. 

• Like 1

[Je...]
1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

I’m so, so very sorry about the loss of your dog. I have 2 and know how extremely important they are, especially during the torment and isolation of w/d. My heart bleeds for you.

I would contact doctors before moving, explain your situation and plan to taper; tell them you will provide them with a copy of the Ashton Manual to go by and make sure you will have a prescription when you arrive in your new destination.

Maybe look for 1 on Psychology Today to find someone who takes your insurance. You can email them through that site too so maybe spend a day emailing a dozen to weed those out who won’t be helpful.

I would imagine after securing a new Dr the move will be easier with 1 less thing to worry about.

And please keep looking forward and don’t go down that rabbit hole of ‘putting yourself back 2 years’. You don’t know that is true and you did what you needed to do to survive an incredibly painful and difficult time.

That’s a good idea.  Find one before I go so I’m not stuck frantic.  I did that when I went to Brazil and I figured it out but it was hell just thinking I would go through Wds.  

thanks for the support!  15 years, by my side.  When I was in rehab he was what got me up each morning.  Then he’s gone, I felt like my whole world was gone.  You know, it’s like a part of your heart is gone 😞

• Like 1

[Je...]
3 hours ago, [[j...] said:

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. They truly become like family to us. This journey is so hard. 

Unfortunately I’m not in the USA so I can’t answer your question but I just wanted to say how deeply sorry I am about your dog. 

Hey there.  I knew it would happen sooner or later and I knew I wouldn’t handle it well.  Especially im an extreme introvert.  Communicate with animals better than I do humans.  He was my whole life.  

I guess it’s all part of the journey.  Thanks for the kind words😊

[Le...]

i am a guy who picks up lame birds and ground squirrels from the highway and nurses them to health. I get it. 

[Ca...]

Well if you move to NYS or South Carolina I know prescribers there but they don't take insurance. I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. Could you maybe move to a different town so you dont have to find a new prescriber? I am wondering whether you felt normal with that updose

[Je...]
On 04/05/2024 at 19:25, [[C...] said:

Well if you move to NYS or South Carolina I know prescribers there but they don't take insurance. I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. Could you maybe move to a different town so you dont have to find a new prescriber? I am wondering whether you felt normal with that updose

Yeah that’s good idea.  Not too much change causing mode anxiety.  

Amd k really don’t think opposing my dose will set me back.  But I was the only thing keeping me alive. I’m thinking maybe tapering -1mg every days to get back to my original or else I feel like I will be stuck on a night does again thanks 

e back.  

beaxj