Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

I got the covid vaccine

[Je...]

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ta...]

• [or...]

• [Ma...]

Nose bleeds could be an autoantibody in your blood.  Have the doc run an ANA screening test to check for autoantibodies.  I'm prone to bleeding because I have a procoagulant autoantibody in my blood and a clotting disorder.  Nose bleeds are not normal if you didn't hit your nose.

Thanks, I will inquire about an ANA screening test to check for autoantibodies when the attending physician gets back with me to go over the lab tests that have already been run. :)

Try getting a full vitamin panel done. Vitamin C is vital for immune system and low vitamin C causes severe nose bleeds. I was getting rare random nose bleeds from this withdrawal and my vitamin C was scurvy level low! 

Nose bleeds could be an autoantibody in your blood.  Have the doc run an ANA screening test to check for autoantibodies.  I'm prone to bleeding because I have a procoagulant autoantibody in my blood and a clotting disorder.  Nose bleeds are not normal if you didn't hit your nose.

Thanks, I will inquire about an ANA screening test to check for autoantibodies when the attending physician gets back with me to go over the lab tests that have already been run. :)

Try getting a full vitamin panel done. Vitamin C is vital for immune system and low vitamin C causes severe nose bleeds. I was getting rare random nose bleeds from this withdrawal and my vitamin C was scurvy level low!

Just curious...are you now supplementing Vitamin C? And if so, what is the dose? Interesting your level was so low. 

Just curious...are you now supplementing Vitamin C? And if so, what is the dose? Interesting your level was so low.

I am supplementing now. My vitamin D and C were very low which both have to do with immunity. I also have a lot of GI symptoms from this withdrawal so my body wasn’t absorbing the vitamins from food. I supplement with liposomal vitamin C and D. The liposomal vitamins do not need to go through the digestive tract. The cells in your body just directly absorb them. I am using liquid liposomal Vitamin C 1,000mg every morning and 2,000 mcg Vitamin D drops.  They do not cause any increase in symptoms and to be honest, some of my symptoms lessened in severity after 7 days of supplementation. Considering too much of any vitamin can be just as bad as too little, that’s why I suggested you get a vitamin panel first. You probably shouldn’t supplement unless you are low in those vitamins.

Thank you for that.

How did you know your blood sugar went up?  Something you felt or did a dr. tell you?  So no increase in vibrating, dizzyness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, cognition, vision stuff...  none of those  ?  ;)

Nope none of those. I actually slept better and ALOT more those 48 hours after the vaccine. I was never a diabetic but once I started this withdrawal my blood sugars went way up. So my doctor prescribed me a continuous glucose monitor. I use the freestyle libre. So I’m able to check it all day long. With it I’ve noticed when I’m in a wave and my anxiety is high for hours and days is when my blood sugar is ridiculously high! And that’s what is causing my A1C to go up. When I’m in a window my blood sugars go low and I have to eat every two hours. Withdrawal is a beast!

Elevated blood sugars are due to your liver secreting glucagon...it’s a natural bodily process when you are anxious/nervous or caught in a limbic system loop of fight or flight. Just letting you know it’s “normal”, or at least makes sense.

Thank you for that.

How did you know your blood sugar went up?  Something you felt or did a dr. tell you?  So no increase in vibrating, dizzyness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, cognition, vision stuff...  none of those  ?  ;)

Nope none of those. I actually slept better and ALOT more those 48 hours after the vaccine. I was never a diabetic but once I started this withdrawal my blood sugars went way up. So my doctor prescribed me a continuous glucose monitor. I use the freestyle libre. So I’m able to check it all day long. With it I’ve noticed when I’m in a wave and my anxiety is high for hours and days is when my blood sugar is ridiculously high! And that’s what is causing my A1C to go up. When I’m in a window my blood sugars go low and I have to eat every two hours. Withdrawal is a beast!

Elevated blood sugars are due to your liver secreting glucagon...it’s a natural bodily process when you are anxious/nervous or caught in a limbic system loop of fight or flight. Just letting you know it’s “normal”, or at least makes sense.

Absolutely makes sense. The anxiety and panic (fight or flight mode) increase blood sugars and blood pressure. All kinds of bodily functions go out of wack. But I still need to attempt to keep my A1C under 7 for the long term sake of my organs. I’m sure once this withdrawal passes I will go back to normal. I’m hoping these blood sugars only last the first year. I’m only 5 months in so only time will tell.

I am supplementing now. My vitamin D and C were very low which both have to do with immunity. I also have a lot of GI symptoms from this withdrawal so my body wasn’t absorbing the vitamins from food. I supplement with liposomal vitamin C and D. The liposomal vitamins do not need to go through the digestive tract. The cells in your body just directly absorb them. I am using liquid liposomal Vitamin C 1,000mg every morning and 2,000 mcg Vitamin D drops.  They do not cause any increase in symptoms and to be honest, some of my symptoms lessened in severity after 7 days of supplementation. Considering too much of any vitamin can be just as bad as too little, that’s why I suggested you get a vitamin panel first. You probably shouldn’t supplement unless you are low in those vitamins.

Thank you Paxia for this information...I lean toward low D and B12. Plus I have had low iron issues during this ordeal. I'm certain absorption is the problem, due to benzo/z-drug "damage".

Also, I do not eat enough food to get the required nutrients daily(GI symptoms from this ordeal have curtailed my food intake). Trying to heal from these drugs is a balancing act. I will for sure look into the information you provided. :)

Hi , I just posted under introductions.  You can read about me there .  I am not new to the forum but have signed back on under this new name because I have not been on in a very long time and lost my password info.    Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience so far and I will be happy to help,  I was really scared to get the vaccine but very happy that I ended up doing it. 

Which vaccine are we talking about here? Here in Australia we will be offered the Pfizer vaccine for free that is supposedly voluntary.

Is this the same vaccine as OP and others have had?

Which vaccine are we talking about here? Here in Australia we will be offered the Pfizer vaccine for free that is supposedly voluntary.

The vaccine that I recieved was the Moderna vaccine which is very similar to the Pfizer vaccine.  To date, Moderna and Pfizer are the only two vaccines that are avilable in the United States. 

I recieved my first dose on Wednesday and had a sore arm for about 4 days but otherwise did quite well.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Lori

The vaccine that I recieved was the Moderna vaccine which is very similar to the Pfizer vaccine.  To date, Moderna and Pfizer are the only two vaccines that are avilable in the United States. 

I recieved my first dose on Wednesday and had a sore arm for about 4 days but otherwise did quite well.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Lori

Hey Lori

Thanks, really appreciate it.

Im glad your okay with it. Im super anxious about this. Ive finally reached a period thats not utter hell and I am terrified of losing it.

Would be great if someone who took the Pfizer vaccine could reassure me.

Ive heard different stories about different vaccines??

Pinky

I got my first shot of the pfizer and did very well . I think that it's worth doing it, My homestate in the U.S. is Oregon  and we are seeing our numbers go down .

[8f...]
I’m ok from the Pfizer vax and the sore arm soon passed. I did have a reaction on the third day with the return of benzo withdrawal symptoms but they didn’t last. Here in the U.K. the second dose of the Pfizer or Oxford vaccines is up to twelve weeks later. Hopefully the second vax will also cause few problems.

I got my first shot of the pfizer and did very well . I think that it's worth doing it, My homestate in the U.S. is Oregon  and we are seeing our numbers go down .

Our numbers of hospitalizations and cases are coming down in Ohio too.

I got the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. No s/x. No sore arm, no achiness last night and none today. I have had worse reactions to the annual flu shot.

I highly recommend it. Like brave rabbit, I'm in OR and we are seeing our numbers fall dramatically. May the trend continue!

Best to all,

Katz

I got the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. No s/x. No sore arm, no achiness last night and none today. I have had worse reactions to the annual flu shot.

I highly recommend it. Like brave rabbit, I'm in OR and we are seeing our numbers fall dramatically. May the trend continue!

Best to all,

Katz

I got the Pfizer yesterday too, we're on our way back to our lives Katz, I'm so excited!  :yippee:  I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas day, so looking forward to embracing life again.  :)

I got the Pfizer first shot yesterday afternoon as well. No sore arm. It made me feel something, but nothing bad at all. A little lethargic today, and somewhat weird sleep pattern last night (woke up every 90 minutes to pee, felt like I had been asleep for 4 hours each time), but again, nothing compared to my 10.5 months of taper. It was actually nice, as I hadn’t been sleeping well this week.

Pamster, I got this feeling of joy after getting the vaccine, like there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I’ve been off of Klonopin for 6 months, as of 2/19, and now I’m one more shot away from being vaccinated against COVID, and hopefully seeing life return to a semblance of normalcy.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the vaccine if you can.

Best to all,

Katz

My appointment is this Sunday Katz!  Those words mean a lot right now  :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for posting! 

I got this feeling of joy after getting the vaccine, like there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Me, too, Love. As I was  standing in line with a bunch of other masked, socially distanced people, I said a silent prayer of thanks (I'm not religious) that we might get back to some parts of our old lives.  I guess I was saying a prayer of thanks to science.  A light at then end of the tunnel . . . you're so right.

My fingers are crossed for you, Mary. Sunday, yay!!!!!

:smitten:

Best,

Katz

I got my vaccine in the ballroom of the Portland Convention Center , It was surreal to be in such a massive place which usually hums with activity , shut down and re-purposed to inject as many people as possible with the vaccine . No coffee shops open or escalators running , just lines of masked , quiet and feeling lucky to be on the way to being safe people . There was almost a religious feeling of reverance , and a few tears here and there .

Best to all,

Katz

My appointment is this Sunday Katz!  Those words mean a lot right now  :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for posting!

Ditto! Thanks for sharing experiences everyone. This greatly aids in decision making. I have been reading through the responses. I intend to get it when it becomes available to me. 👍

Thank you all for replying. I guess I should have gone a little more in depth. Since my benzo journey, I went from a person who had no trouble with any medication, to someone who is now allergic to penicillin, sulfa, and cipro. I have had countless adverse reactions to others, including tachycardia to prednisone and other steroids. I am terrified of taking anything new, but I knew for me this vaccine needed to happen. It scared me because it is new, but I did a lot of reading up on it and talked to a couple of the doctors I work with. Even though the vaccine is new, the technology has been around for over 10 years, mainly used in cancer patients to help shrink tumors. This is just the first opportunity that has arisen for it to be used in a vaccine. They were also working on a vaccine for SARS Covid-1 years ago when the SARS outbreak occurred, so they did have a good foundation to start with, it wasn’t exactly from square 1. It’s now been almost 48 hours. My arm pain is already gone. I did wake up tired this morning and with a mild dull headache but nothing that a nap won’t fix later. Several other that I know that had theirs more than a week ago mostly said by day 3 all side effect symptoms were gone so I am looking forward to tomorrow to see how it goes. Thank you all again, please believe I am with you all when it comes to fear of the vaccine. But I’m also one of the ones that had been up close and personal with covid patients and seen the effects of not just how the virus has worked on them but also what the families are going through. Getting the vaccine is a personal decision and I will respect them all, but keep in mind the risks/benefits. We will all get through this

So helpful! Thanks so much for sharing.  :)

Jenniferr: Oh this is great - thank you! I think many members are concerned not just about how regular ppl respond to the vaccine - but how it affects those of us in recovery!

Like you I seem to be very med sensitive and many things go paradoxical on me for now ( I hope in time this will change). I've done the research on the vaccine and I'm actually at ease with the science and composition of it.

I had covid about a month ago and it was no joke. I'm doing pretty good right now.

I will be starting back to work soon in a hospital, so I know I will have to get the vaccine and am ok with that.

But it is so reassuring to  get a positive vaccine report from a fellow benzo recovery member (who is also med sensitive).  :thumbsup:

Trina, good to hear you were able to recover after contracting COVID. Any clue how or where you might have gotten it from?

Its ok that you've removed the link, I really don't know who this doctor is, but I thought he provided a few valid and good points about how one needs to be careful with Covid vaccine.

Jennifer, I hope I didn't make you feel bad about getting your vaccine, it sounds like you are a frontliner and you really need it, in your case benefits definitely outweigh any risks, the link was more for those people like myself who are either in the thick of withdrawal, unable to work, in a setback from just another drug( antibiotic in my case) so sensitive to everything they can't tolerate aspirin let alone a new unknown vaccine. I really hope you do well with the second vaccine also, and like most people who do just fine with the flu shot and other shots will be ok after. I'm definitely not an anti-vaxer myself, I happen to be a nurse too, and I just recovered from covid ( it took 3 weeks, 5 sessions of IV vitamin infusions and one session of ozone therapy and UBVI) so unfortunately I know first hand how dangerous covid is, I really didn't think I wasn't going to make it but thank God I did..So I just think people who are in the thick of withdrawal need to be extra careful with anything they put in their bodies, and shouldn't be the first ones to get this vaccine before lots of other people go out and get it and we know what side effects it could possibly have.

And our dear administrators, I really admire you for all the hard work you do to help our benzo community, and I always thought that you do a wonderful job at it, but honestly I don't quite understand your pro-vaccine stance in this case. I mean this is a brand new rMRNa vaccine, that has a potential of interfering with one's DNA, and it's definitely not well studied enough for somebody who is in withdrawal to rush to get this vaccine. Sorry if I'm wrong but I almost get a sense from reading a few posts about this vaccine now that you are telling people it's ok and to go ahead with it, maybe I got the wrong impression. We've just already been harmed by other things that big Pharma came out with that we thought were absolutely safe too before, and here we are .. almost 3 years later in my case still suffering very badly.. I mean Pfizer is big Pharma, they are the original producers of Zoloft if  I'm not mistaken aren't they? Anyways, sorry I didn't mean to start an argument, I'm just really sick and probably won't be the first one to go get a vaccine is what I'm trying to say..

Edit/bold font by Challis: DNA is not affected.  Please read this from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

These new messenger RNA vaccines are fascinating and will be our gateway to ultimately curing cancer according to Dr. Gabe Mirkin and I believe him. I think the pros far outweigh and potential cons so I am definitely getting myself vaccinated.