I got the covid vaccine

[Je...]

Hello everyone ,

I am updating. I am 4 months off klonipin. I got the Moderna vaccine 12/31. It’s been about one week. I was ok for about 2-3 days- sore arm, fatigue. Then day 4 I had a wave set in.

My heart rate was up, felt dizzy for about 24 hrs. Lots of salt and water helped. It slowly is better over the past couple days, the worst was for less than 24 hrs. My anxiety has also kicked up especially at night. I have slept less as a result but overall I’m still happy I got the vaccine as I would much rather have this set back than actually get Covid.

I am aware that my symptoms will worsen with the next dose. I will have to prepare myself for this. I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you for posting and good luck on your next shot!  :)

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ta...]

• [or...]

• [Ma...]

Hello everyone ,

I am updating. I am 4 months off klonipin. I got the Moderna vaccine 12/31. It’s been about one week. I was ok for about 2-3 days- sore arm, fatigue. Then day 4 I had a wave set in.

My heart rate was up, felt dizzy for about 24 hrs. Lots of salt and water helped. It slowly is better over the past couple days, the worst was for less than 24 hrs. My anxiety has also kicked up especially at night. I have slept less as a result but overall I’m still happy I got the vaccine as I would much rather have this set back than actually get Covid.

I am aware that my symptoms will worsen with the next dose. I will have to prepare myself for this. I will keep everyone posted.

Hello everyone ,

Please understand, I am not suggesting, just wondering.....is it possible (yes, even though real) that the wave you described had nothing to do with the actual Vaccine itself?

I'm wondering this as you said that your symptoms WILL worsen with the next dose.  What if you said, maybe they won't?

Just things to consider.  Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts, as food for thought! 

I look forward to be able to say, I have just had my first Vaccine.  I know you said your happy overall.

Be well!

Hello everyone ,

Please understand, I am not suggesting, just wondering.....is it possible (yes, even though real) that the wave you described had nothing to do with the actual Vaccine itself?

I'm wondering this as you said that your symptoms WILL worsen with the next dose.  What if you said, maybe they won't?

Just things to consider.  Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts, as food for thought! 

I look forward to be able to say, I have just had my first Vaccine.  I know you said your happy overall.

Be well!

While not wishing to dispute what Warriette describes about how she feels right now, there is no way to know the specific cause in any particular individual. It could be a random post withdrawal spike in symptoms (which is pretty-common around here). It could be due Covid-type symptoms as a result of the vaccine (this is not the same thing as having Covid - a similar reaction is quite common with flu vaccines for example). Or, it could be due to another medical problem (such as contracting flu or other virus). Or - and I am certainly not suggesting this is what has occurred here - the person vaccinated coincidentally contracts Covid around the same time as receiving the vaccine (it takes a few weeks from vaccination to build up immunity). It is also worth mentioning that our membership - as a whole - are disproportionately susceptible to anxiety (pre-existing or as a symptom of withdrawal) and are hypervigilant. Try not to worry. Whatever the cause, it will be OK.

It is also worth mentioning that the vaccines are not guaranteed to provide immunity to the individual. Some will develop Covid anyway. But even in this event, the very strong evidence from the vaccine trials is that if you should contract Covid a few weeks or more after receiving the vaccine, your Covid symptoms will be almost certainly much, much milder and non-life threatening.

Hello everyone ,

Be well!

While not wishing to dispute what Warriette describes about how she feels right now, there is no way to know the specific cause in any particular individual. It could be a random post withdrawal spike in symptoms (which is pretty-common around here). It could be due Covid-type symptoms as a result of the vaccine (this is not the same thing as having Covid - a similar reaction is quite common with flu vaccines for example). Or, it could be due to another medical problem (such as contracting flu or other virus). Or - and I am certainly not suggesting this is what has occurred here - the person vaccinated coincidentally contracts Covid around the same time as receiving the vaccine (it takes a few weeks from vaccination to build up immunity). It is also worth mentioning that our membership - as a whole - are disproportionately susceptible to anxiety (pre-existing or as a symptom of withdrawal) and are hypervigilant. Try not to worry. Whatever the cause, it will be OK.

It is also worth mentioning that the vaccines are not guaranteed to provide immunity to the individual. Some will develop Covid anyway. But even in this event, the very strong evidence from the vaccine trials is that if you should contract Covid a few weeks or more after receiving the vaccine, your Covid symptoms will be almost certainly much, much milder and non-life threatening.

For many of us in withdrawal, stress can bring on more withdrawal symptoms. I don't mean just psychological stress. I mean physical stress as well.

For example:

A cold or even a regular flu may sometimes bring on more withdrawal symptoms

MSG may sometimes bring on more withdrawal symptoms

Certain medications may sometimes bring on more withdrawal symptoms.

Same thing with alcohol, caffiene Etc.

Not always, not for everyone, but most of us are sensitive.

Our Central Nervous Systems are frail. Things, like I listed above that a "normal" brain that's not in withdrawal can handle, many of us in withdrawal may have a return, or increase in symptoms.

The Covid vaccine can cause some side effects in a "normal" person: which are fever, chills, sore arm. Therefore, for those of us in withdrawal, with frail a CNS, it can potentially cause those side effects PLUS it could POSSIBLY cause a temporary spike in withdrawal symptoms because it is a "stressor" to our body. This is just my thought anyway. I'm not a doctor.

I had a set back in October with the regular flu vaccine. I had a few well intentioned people here on BB suggest that maybe it was a coincidental wave, or a coincidental spike in withdrawal symptoms and NOT from the flu vaccine. As much as I wish that was true, it is not. At least not in my case. I can't speak for everyone. But, as far as the flu vaccine for me I definitely had a set back from the vaccine. It was not a coincidental wave. It was so obvious. I was about 90% healed at 17 months. I had not had a wave in months. I was about to write a success story. It was also obvious because I could feel the "flu like" symptoms that you can have as a side effect from the flu vaccine. I got THAT symptom for just a couple days PLUS my withdrawal symptoms of debilitating vertigo that had been gone for 9 months. The vertigo symptoms from the flu vaccine lasted for a couple months. (Check my posts for specifics) That was just my experience. Several people on BB posted they got the regular flu vaccine with no issues.

Anyway ... flu vaccine and the covid vaccine even though they are different they both "fire up the immune system".

I'm just trying to say that some speculated that I had a wave, but for me this was not the case. Again I'm talking about the regular flu vaccine. Not the covid vaccine. I'm just making a comparison of what our bodies can do when a stressor ie: medication or in this case a vaccine is introduced.

The good news is, in the end I did slowly recover from that set back. I still have a few bad hours here and there maybe once a month, but I'm about back to baseline.

And, it looks like the 3 people (at least that's what I've found so far. Three people here on BB who are in withdrawal and got the Covid vaccine) it looks like they've had symptoms, but they've been temporary, and they're doing fine.

Thanks Miss Fortitude, your post is very informative. We should be careful to refrain from talking about set backs from vaccines as that is possible for us. This needs to be acknowledged as it does happen and we need to be very careful. Having said I agree we should not be anti vaccines as they can save lives. Unfortunately the covid vaccine hasn’t been formally tested on benzo survivors so we will be learning as more people are getting vaccinated and everyone should be heard and not censored.

Hello everyone ,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  This is invaluable to us!  Just wondering if the wave you describe that you had starting day 4 was typical for you in your benzo recovery or was it worse/different in any way?  Many thanks for helping us be informed for our own decisions!

So generally speaking, my withdrawal symptoms were less often and frequent prior to the vaccine.

I would say the symptoms definitely heightened for a few days after the vaccine.  I haven’t had a bad wave in a while. Again, I am much better. I just have some bad Gerd right now which was one of my wd symptoms.

Overall I am fine.

And who knows? I may or may not react to the next dose. I do know that I will try to pre hydrate as much as I can. I will prep psychologically too as my anxiety can pop up out of nowhere at times. I will keep everyone posted.

I get the vaccine on Tuesday. I will be getting the Moderna vaccine though. I will post after I get it!

I'm jealous Paxia, I'm not quite old enough yet.  This reminds me of when I was a kid and had to wait until I was tall enough to go on certain rides at the amusement park.  :laugh:

Hello Buddies!

I wanted to share my experience with the COVID Vaccine. I had my 1st injection on January 6th and have not experienced any side effects other than a sore arm. I will get my 2nd injection on February 3rd. I am 1 year and 17 days benzo free, and I was having mild benzo symptoms when I got my first injection. I’m feeling fine now.

Wishing everyone well. Be safe!

Sandy :thumbsup:

Hello Buddies!

I wanted to share my experience with the COVID Vaccine. I had my 1st injection on January 6th and have not experienced any side effects other than a sore arm. I will get my 2nd injection on February 3rd. I am 1 year and 17 days benzo free, and I was having mild benzo symptoms when I got my first injection. I’m feeling fine now.

Thank you for sharing

Hello Buddies!

That's great sjs!!  Like hearing that  :D :D

I am getting ready to leave to get my Moderna COVID vaccine. I just want to give a brief over view of the withdrawal symptoms I am experiencing before hand. I have some moderate anxiety and panic with adrenaline surges. Moderately increased heart rate (within normal range mid to high 80’s but also on Metoprolol). Some moderate chest pain, dizziness, mild dry mouth, mild headaches, blood sugars are a bit higher today, and my oxygen levels from 5AM until now have been averaging around 96. Will report back.

I am getting ready to leave to get my Moderna COVID vaccine. I just want to give a brief over view of the withdrawal symptoms I am experiencing before hand. I have some moderate anxiety and panic with adrenaline surges. Moderately increased heart rate (within normal range mid to high 80’s but also on Metoprolol). Some moderate chest pain, dizziness, mild dry mouth, mild headaches, blood sugars are a bit higher today, and my oxygen levels from 5AM until now have been averaging around 96. Will report back.

That was really smart to recognize the symptoms you were already having  :).  Now you will have a better idea of your reaction, if any, to the vaccine. :smitten:  Here's hoping for a sore arm at most  :D

So it’s been three hours after my vaccine. My arm and the injection site are pretty sore. Other than that so far My headache got a teeny tiny bit worse and my blood sugars were increased for about an hour after the vaccine. Other than that so far I feel fine. No effects on my anxiety, adrenaline, heart rate , breathing or oxygen yet. Just a minor up-tick in a headache that I already had. Higher blood sugars for about an hour and a sore arm.

So it’s been three hours after my vaccine. My arm and the injection site are pretty sore. Other than that so far My headache got a teeny tiny bit worse and my blood sugars were increased for about an hour after the vaccine. Other than that so far I feel fine. No effects on my anxiety, adrenaline, heart rate , breathing or oxygen yet. Just a minor up-tick in a headache that I already had. Higher blood sugars for about an hour and a sore arm.

Crossing my fingers nothing else happens  ;)

Has anyone had their vaccine yet?  I'm worried about side effects.  I'm recovered from w/d now but I have unusual sensitivity to adverse effects.

I had mine today. I was in a moderate wave this morning and it’s been about 5 hours since I received my vaccine. My arm is sore, I had high blood sugars for about an hour, and I had a mild up -tick in an already present headache. Other than that I’m doing fine. No changes to my anxiety, adrenaline, dizziness, heart rate, breathing, or oxygenation.