I got the covid vaccine

[Je...]

Do people who get the COVID vaccine still wear PPE?  Are there any reports of people who have taken off their PPE and are not getting infected?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Ta...]

• [or...]

• [Ma...]

Do people who get the COVID vaccine still wear PPE?  Are there any reports of people who have taken off their PPE and are not getting infected?

You still need to wear PPE. You can still pass it along if you somehow catch it. The vaccine is only 95% protective. You still must protect yourself and others!

A serious question.  What's the point of getting the vaccine and then still needing to wear PPE?  Those who are vaccinated should be immune to catching the virus, shouldn't they, and then won't spread it to others?

It increases your chances of not catching it and if you do still catch it you won’t get it as bad.  You still need to protect others!  If you get vaccinated you can still catch it, just like the flu. So you’d still be able to transmit it. Again it’s only 95% protective. 

Hi!

It’s been a while since I have visited the boards, I have been holding at .5 mg xanax/day since 2016. My mom died, and I still haven’t gotten the courage to continue my taper.

I was curious about bws experience related to the covid vaccine. I have an appointment for Saturday, but as I’ve been having a lot of asthma/scary breathing issues lately, along with a weakened body from sitting around all 2020... I have been thinking my body won’t be able to handle the stress well, and I fear an allergic reaction/serious withdrawal symptoms. It is a difficult decision. It’s made me feel so alone in this struggle.... 6 years benzo sick and no one outside of this board knows. I have one more day to decide, I’ll check back to see others reactions while still in withdrawal.

Thanks! 

Unfortunately Niki, I think there would be more testimony if this was an easy to find discussion board. HOWEVER, the mods have hidden it under general health and well-being, so unless someone searches for it specifically they won’t find it. So we have less testimony on this subject than we should. And the stress and anger of this actually revs my symptoms. I’m so mad it’s not a board by itself.

Also all, everything I’ve read shows there’s no evidence that the vaccine prevents spreading infection. Only lessens the illness for yourself. So there goes my theory that if everyone else gets vaccinated I’ll be protected.

I’m having such a tough time with this in general. People in my area are getting big heads after the vaccine no longer wearing masks and apparently they can still spread Covid. F’n great. I’m scared of Covid and the vaccine.

MODS - PLEASE consider creating a Covid board. I would personally moderate it to make sure it doesn’t get triggering. I wish people were able to find this easier to give testimony on their vaccines...

Hello all,

To my knowledge, and from what I've found (I could have missed something, I don't know) Only 7 people here on BB have posted their Covid 19 vaccine experience. But, the vaccine has only been out for about a month and a half here in the U.S. anyway, and it is still in the process of being distributed to the public. It's a long process.

I am keeping track and looking daily because this is VERY important to me. The seven people are:

JBen021

Jeniferrr

Taygeta

Nightingale

Paxia

sjs

Warriette

There is someone who posted in this same topic string (sorry, can't remember who at the moment) that they were getting the vaccine this past Tuesday. They have not posted how their experience went yet.

Yeah, I'm scared of the whole thing too. I get sick of seeing and hearing this type of "mantra":

"Get the vaccine, stay isolated or get Covid."

I hear this type of "bullying" on the news, from people who got the vaccine  etc etc . There are people who cannot get vaccines due to medical issues. How does that make these people feel? I mean really, talk about "bully tactics".

I know we are being told to wear masks, & social distance even after getting the vaccine. It is for many reasons:

For Pfizer & Moderna you need 2 vaccines, during the time in between doses one is still vulnerable and can spread it.

The vaccines they have mentioned most are 95% effective, not 100%

Because the vaccine was given emergency authorization it's basically still not 100% known how effective it is.

We have to get 70% vaccinated (per Dr Fauci and other physicians) to reach herd immunity, until then we have to still wear masks & social distance to be safe.

No one still really knows. We are learning as we go along, something we've had to do many times in the history of disease.

Because not everyone in the public is educated, nor can comprehend the first 5 things I mentioned, they have to be told to still be safe. I'm not trying to be rude in what I'm saying, but not everyone understands medicine and science (I'm not a scientist either). Better to be safe than sorry because a lot of people still don't understand.

Megan Z - I feel the same way you do, but Dr Fauci still says that once 70% is vaccinated we will most likely have herd immunity. He has many times said: "IT IS ALSO TO HELP THE PEOPLE WHO CANNOT GET VACCINES." - My caps are not me shouting. I'm highlighting something of importance. I have not given up hope on what Dr. Fauci said. Time will tell.

BB Forum Moderators: *please don't make me site these things. It's in the news every single day. (That would be like asking someone to site gaba receptors everytime they mention it.)*

Everyone will only know for sure as time passes. The entire world is learning in real time.

I google the words "Good Corona virus news" and I focus on that. I am staying away from the news otherwise because it's just not healthy 24/7 for anyone, let alone us who are already sick & healing here on BB. 

Where I live hospitalizations have been slowly trending down since December. Hopefully that trend continues for our frontliners and everyone.

I use the NPR Covid Hospitalization Tracker. It gets updated weekly. Scroll down on this link. The tracker map is in the middle of the article. Plug in your county & state:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/09/944379919/new-data-reveal-which-hospitals-are-dangerously-full-is-yours#lookup

Be smart in the meantime & continue to stay safe. Keep your mind busy and away from negative news. We've never in history had a pandemic with constant 24/7 news combined. We live in a world where there's news and a "ticker" constantly running at the bottom of the screen literally giving news while we watch the news! Add looking at news on our smart phones. It's too much.

People have lived through hard times: Wars, famine, 9/11, the depression etc all over the world. Heck my Grandparents, and their parents lived through the Spanish Flu. My grandfather was 65 when i was born. I never heard him talk about the Spanish flu because it was gone, done, & over with, just like this will be. Plus we have a vaccine for Covid 19. This is good.

Yes, it's awful but enjoy what's in front of us daily. Enjoy our lives and just be safe while doing it. The stress itself from just worrying about it can be worse. - I know. I've been guilty of this myself.

Hello all,

To my knowledge, and from what I've found (I could have missed something, I don't know) Only 7 people here on BB have posted their Covid 19 vaccine experience. But, the vaccine has only been out for about a month and a half here in the U.S. anyway, and it is still in the process of being distributed to the public. It's a long process.

I am keeping track and looking daily because this is VERY important to me. The seven people are:

JBen021

Jeniferrr

Taygeta

Nightingale

Paxia

sjs

Warriette

There is someone who posted in this same topic string (sorry, can't remember who at the moment) that they were getting the vaccine this past Tuesday. They have not posted how their experience went yet.

Yeah, I'm scared of the whole thing too. I get sick of seeing and hearing this type of "mantra":

I hear this type of "bullying" on the news, from people on the news who got the vaccine  etc etc . There are people who cannot get vaccines due to medical issues. How does that make these people feel? I mean really, talk about "bully tactics".

I know we are being told to wear masks, & social distance even after getting the vaccine. It is for many reasons:

For Pfizer & Moderna you need 2 vaccines, during the time in between doses one is still vulnerable and can spread it.

Because the vaccine was given emergency authorization it's basically still not 100% known how effective it is.

We have to get 70% vaccinated (per Dr Fauci and other physicians) to reach herd immunity, until then we have to still wear masks & social distance to be safe.

No one still really knows. We are learning as we go along, something we've had to do many times in the history of disease.

Because not everyone in the public is educated, nor can comprehend the first 5 things I mentioned, they have to be told to still be safe. I'm not trying to be rude in what I'm saying, but not everyone understands medicine and science (I'm not a scientist either). Better to be safe than sorry because a lot of people still don't understand.

Megan Z - I feel the same way you do but, Dr Fauci still says that once 70% is vaccinated we will most likely have herd immunity. He has many times said: "IT IS ALSO TO HELP THE PEOPLE WHO CANNOT GET VACCINES." - My caps are not me shouting. I'm highlighting something of importance. I have not given up hope on what Dr. Fauci said. Time will tell.

BB Forum Moderators: *please don't make me site these things. It's in the news every single day. (That would be like asking someone to site gaba receptors everytime they mention it.)*

Everyone will only know for sure as time passes. The entire world is learning in real time.

I google the words "Good Corona virus news" and I focus on that. I am staying away from the news otherwise because it's just not healthy 24/7 for anyone, let alone us who are already sick & healing here on BB. 

Where I live hospitalizations have been slowly trending down since December. Hopefully that trend continues for our frontliners and everyone.

I use the NPR Covid Hospitalization Tracker. It gets updated weekly. Scroll down on this link. The tracker map is in the middle of the article. Plug in your county & state:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/09/944379919/new-data-reveal-which-hospitals-are-dangerously-full-is-yours#lookup

Be smart in the meantime & continue to stay safe. Keep your mind busy and away from negative news. We've never in history had a pandemic with constant 24/7 news combined. We live in a world where there's news and a "ticker" constantly running at the bottom of the screen literally giving news while we watch the news! Add looking at news on our smart phones. It's too much.

People have lived through hard times: Wars, famine, 9/11, the depression etc all over the world. Yes, it's awful but enjoy what's in front of us daily. Enjoy our lives and just be safe while doing it. The stress itself from just worrying about it can be worse. - I know. I've been guilty of this myself.

Soooo. The vaccine has actually been out and studied for around 10 years now.  The first covid pandemic in like 2008 the swine flu or bird flu (one of those animal flus). Was the first COVID pandemic to hit the USA. That’s why they were able come out with the vaccine so quick. The took the base of that vaccine and added the RNA which is the differential component. So there has been effective documentation on the vaccine.

Hello all,

JBen021

Jeniferrr

Taygeta

Nightingale

Paxia

sjs

Warriette

I hear this type of "bullying" on the news, from people on the news who got the vaccine  etc etc . There are people who cannot get vaccines due to medical issues. How does that make these people feel? I mean really, talk about "bully tactics".

Megan Z - I feel the same way you do but, Dr Fauci still says that once 70% is vaccinated we will most likely have herd immunity. He has many times said: "IT IS ALSO TO HELP THE PEOPLE WHO CANNOT GET VACCINES." - My caps are not me shouting. I'm highlighting something of importance. I have not given up hope on what Dr. Fauci said. Time will tell.

People have lived through hard times: Wars, famine, 9/11, the depression etc all over the world. Yes, it's awful but enjoy what's in front of us daily. Enjoy our lives and just be safe while doing it. The stress itself from just worrying about it can be worse. - I know. I've been guilty of this myself.

Soooo. The vaccine has actually been out and studied for around 10 years now.  The first covid pandemic in like 2008 the swine flu or bird flu (one of those animal flus). Was the first COVID pandemic to hit the USA. That’s why they were able come out with the vaccine so quick. The took the base of that vaccine and added the RNA which is the differential component. So there has been effective documentation on the vaccine.

Yes, I know this. Ive been reading all about this since the pandemic started. There was a great article in Time Magazine in a January issue about the makers of the vaccine and everything you mentioned above, but there were no trials as big as the one started last spring.

Several years ago the Swine flu, the Bird flu, Sars and Mers their funding ended and they did not get to proceed as they wanted to. But yes as you mentioned above, the beginnings of these vaccines were started then and we picked up from there.

I already know all of this. The thing is there is a difference between people who are anti vaccers and people who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. You know people who truly want to get the Covid 19 vaccine and be protected but can't? These people are not anti vaccers.

Unfortunately Niki, I think there would be more testimony if this was an easy to find discussion board. HOWEVER, the mods have hidden it under general health and well-being, so unless someone searches for it specifically they won’t find it. So we have less testimony on this subject than we should. And the stress and anger of this actually revs my symptoms. I’m so mad it’s not a board by itself.

Also all, everything I’ve read shows there’s no evidence that the vaccine prevents spreading infection. Only lessens the illness for yourself. So there goes my theory that if everyone else gets vaccinated I’ll be protected.

I’m having such a tough time with this in general. People in my area are getting big heads after the vaccine no longer wearing masks and apparently they can still spread Covid. F’n great. I’m scared of Covid and the vaccine.

MODS - PLEASE consider creating a Covid board. I would personally moderate it to make sure it doesn’t get triggering. I wish people were able to find this easier to give testimony on their vaccines...

Meganz,

It's not going to happen but you're welcome to continue complaining about it.

Pamster

Hello all,

JBen021

Jeniferrr

Taygeta

Nightingale

Paxia

sjs

Warriette

Yes, I know this. Ive been reading all about this since the pandemic started. There was a great article in Time Magazine in a January issue about the makers of the vaccine and everything you mentioned above, but there were no trials as big as the one started last spring.

Several years ago the Swine flu, the Bird flu, Sars and Mers their funding ended and they did not get to proceed as they wanted to. But yes as you mentioned above, the beginnings of these vaccines were started then and we picked up from there.

I already know all of this. The thing is there is a difference between people who are anti vaccers and people who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. You know people who truly want to get the Covid 19 vaccine and be protected but can't? These people are not anti vaccers.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/7/pdfs/05-0219.pdf

This was released by the cdc in 2005, where clinical trials were still in effect. It’s been studied for years. From all of the information I gather, there are no medical exclusions from the vaccine. I have not heard a single tell any patient that they should refrain from getting the vaccine. Getting the vaccine would do way less damage than catching the virus.

I am sorry to have stirred up any animosity in this board.

I am still having a hard time deciding, as Miss Fortitude said.. she had reactions that set her back from her recent flu vaccination, I am not a doctor but I know my body, and I believe my body could not handle the stress. I have been having serious breathing difficulties since thanksgiving. There is fear, but also sound reasoning.

I WANT the vaccine, that’s why I signed up, and I NEED it to protect myself. But I don’t want to be one of the people that either had a long setback or dies. Do I risk covid, or do I risk a reaction. It IS hard to decide, and there are people that know they are allergic to the vaccine ingredients for example and can’t take it. I disagree that everyone CAN take it.

I have an elderly grandmother that I wish was in line before me. I wish that I felt safe to do this, but I need to decide by tonight. I look forward to more reports in the future if I decide to hold off.

Keep your peace board

Meganz,

Pamster

Yikes!  That wasn't very diplomatic or professional.  :o

Edit: Fixed quote

Meganz,

Pamster

Yikes!  That wasn't very diplomatic or professional.  :o

Edit: Fixed quote

Hi Lori,

You're right it wasn't but Meganz has been making demands about this for awhile now and I've reached the end of my patience.  Sorry if I've made you uncomfortable but I appreciate your contribution to the thread about getting the vaccine.

Pamster

Lots of speculations and fears around covid and the vaccines ..the media does not help.

Also our fear center is at its peak looking for all possible threats while we are in recovery. Our amygdala's need to sit down and chill:)

So lets approach this from logic...this is what I tell myself:

I had covid almost 2 months ago and lived. My benzo body felt it - it was rough. but I recovered and not only that but felt the best i have in months. Weird i know.

The vaccines..it is an Mrna code..this is better than our childhood vaccines. it basically is giving our body a blueprint of antibodies to make to protect from the virus. The symptoms you may feel are the body's defense system. It takes 2 doses bc our body needs to build up enough of these antibodies so we can be more immune/protected.

Also, the symptoms from the shot are a lesser version of the real thing. Trust me its the a much better option.

Covid is no joke..not just from my experience having it, but I'm also back to work PT and am seeing covid patients first hand.

But lets look at the positive, many recover from it thank goodness. Reactions to the shot are a minority - so rare compared to the vast majority of ppl.

the problem is in benzo wd we get paranoid that the very worst will happen to us every time. Stop that thought. Its not true.

And there was a post earlier that implied whats the point of shots if it "doesn't stop the spread and only protects us". Yes and no. What we need to realize is that if everyone just gets the shot it will stop the spread bc everyone has immunity. This is why in our developed countries we do not see measles, polio, rubella, etc. these prevent plagues and pandemics from returning.

If you are a person on here who has had a reaction to a shot of some kind I am so sorry this happened to you. I am not dismissing your experience, but want to just point out you were one of the unlucky rare ones, and this is not the norm - even for those of us recovering.

In addition, BB is a benzo forum - not a covid forum. We have one purpose. We cannot segway into every other aspect of life all the time. There would be so many threads to keep up with it would be impossible.

The only reason I am waiting for my shot is that they advice not to get it if you've recently had covid. So I'm thinking maybe in April/May. I'm still sensitive to things for sure, and I'm fully prepared in my head the side effects from the shot may suck - a lot. But I've had the real thing and I know the shot is not worse than that. I made it through rough before - and I will make it through rough again. If anything this whole darn experience has taught us is what we are made of. So far our track record for surviving is 100%.... ;) 

I'm scheduled to recieve the 1st dose of the vaccine in 3 weeks.  Will update after I get it.  Fingers crossed!  :)

Lori

Our fingers are crossed Lori.  We are all there with you in spirit.  :smitten:

"The problem is in benzo wd  we get paranoid that the very worst will happen to us everytime."

Trina,

That's very true. Can't wait for that paranoia to be gone once I'm healed.

Hello all,

JBen021

Jeniferrr

Taygeta

Nightingale

Paxia

sjs

Warriette

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/7/pdfs/05-0219.pdf

This was released by the cdc in 2005, where clinical trials were still in effect. It’s been studied for years. From all of the information I gather, there are no medical exclusions from the vaccine. I have not heard a single tell any patient that they should refrain from getting the vaccine. Getting the vaccine would do way less damage than catching the virus.

Paxia,

You're wrong. Not everyone can take vaccine for many reasons. One being SEVERE allergies to any component of the vaccine, or a severe allergy to any other variation of the vaccine. Why do you think Dr. Fauci has said many times that people getting the vaccine will protect people who cannot get the vaccine? Do you think he's making that up for the heck of it?

You sound like you're pushing the vaccine just because you've gotten it yourself already. Do you know how that makes someone who cannot take vaccine feel? Put yourself in their shoes. Have some empathy.

Not only that, many people have to wait quite awhile before they get the vaccine due to the supply, demand, and the roll out procedure, and many are worried about getting sick while they wait. You got your first vaccine already. You're lucky. Please be empathetic to those who have not yet or cannot. 

None of us have a crystal ball, but in time who knows how long exactly, in 8 months, or a year, 18 months ? Hard to say when, but this will all look a lot different than it does at this point in time. Covid vaccine(s) (with an "S" because there are many more versions coming down the pike) - Anyway, covid vaccines will be much more available then they are now in the current situation. It won't be a "slow, unorganized,  roll out". It will be available everywhere. There will be signs at the local drug store saying: "time to get your Covid vaccine" just like there is now for the regular flu shot. It will be widely available. This will help so much. Hey maybe the covid vaccine will be on an endcap at any local store and we can administer it to ourselves! - Just kidding.

There will be more available, in time.

Lots of speculations and fears around covid and the vaccines ..the media does not help.

Also our fear center is at its peak looking for all possible threats while we are in recovery. Our amygdala's need to sit down and chill:)

So lets approach this from logic...this is what I tell myself:

I had covid almost 2 months ago and lived. My benzo body felt it - it was rough. but I recovered and not only that but felt the best i have in months. Weird i know.

The vaccines..it is an Mrna code..this is better than our childhood vaccines. it basically is giving our body a blueprint of antibodies to make to protect from the virus. The symptoms you may feel are the body's defense system. It takes 2 doses bc our body needs to build up enough of these antibodies so we can be more immune/protected.

Also, the symptoms from the shot are a lesser version of the real thing. Trust me its the a much better option.

Covid is no joke..not just from my experience having it, but I'm also back to work PT and am seeing covid patients first hand.

But lets look at the positive, many recover from it thank goodness. Reactions to the shot are a minority - so rare compared to the vast majority of ppl.

the problem is in benzo wd we get paranoid that the very worst will happen to us every time. Stop that thought. Its not true.

And there was a post earlier that implied whats the point of shots if it "doesn't stop the spread and only protects us". Yes and no. What we need to realize is that if everyone just gets the shot it will stop the spread bc everyone has immunity. This is why in our developed countries we do not see measles, polio, rubella, etc. these prevent plagues and pandemics from returning.

If you are a person on here who has had a reaction to a shot of some kind I am so sorry this happened to you. I am not dismissing your experience, but want to just point out you were one of the unlucky rare ones, and this is not the norm - even for those of us recovering.

In addition, BB is a benzo forum - not a covid forum. We have one purpose. We cannot segway into every other aspect of life all the time. There would be so many threads to keep up with it would be impossible.

The only reason I am waiting for my shot is that they advice not to get it if you've recently had covid. So I'm thinking maybe in April/May. I'm still sensitive to things for sure, and I'm fully prepared in my head the side effects from the shot may suck - a lot. But I've had the real thing and I know the shot is not worse than that. I made it through rough before - and I will make it through rough again. If anything this whole darn experience has taught us is what we are made of. So far our track record for surviving is 100%.... ;)

\

Thank you so much Trina!!  :smitten:

I'm registered at 4 different locations for the vaccine. Our county is ready to set up vaccination sites at all the local high schools. The problem is.... lack of doses. So we wait.

You're wrong. Not everyone can take vaccine for many reasons. One being SEVERE allergies to any component of the vaccine, or a severe allergy to any other variation of the vaccine. Why do you think Dr. Fauci has said many times that people getting the vaccine will protect people who cannot get the vaccine? Do you think he's making that up for the heck of it?

You sound like you're pushing the vaccine just because you've gotten it yourself already. Do you know how that makes someone who cannot take vaccine feel? Put yourself in their shoes. Have some empathy.

Not only that, many people have to wait quite awhile before they get the vaccine due to the supply, demand, and the roll out procedure, and many are worried about getting sick while they wait. You got your first vaccine already. You're lucky. Please be empathetic to those who have not yet or cannot. 

Oh good grief.

Edited: I apologize.

Oh good grief.  You are regularly a contentious know-it-all and that gives ME a severe reaction.

😂😊❤️

Oh good grief.  You are regularly a contentious know-it-all and that gives ME a severe reaction.

Hey, this isn't helpful in any way.  Certainly a small subset of people can not take the vaccine due to previous allergic reactions to ingredients or to other vaccines. I don't see where anyone is using bragging rights because they had received the vaccine. 

It's understandable that stress is high due to the pandemic, we've all had to adjust to a new normal.  Let's just stay respectful and supportive.

I know of many people who have received the vaccine with no side effects or just very minor ones. They are health care professionals who are in contact with the public on a regular basis. My daughter and her husband had their first dose and had just a sore arm at the injection site. My husband is in line now as we speak, he's 75 and got notification today that he could get the vaccine. 

pianogirl