Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Just wondering.

Everyone I see doing daily tapers seem to be using either compounded liquid to cut or they make their own liquid suspension/solution.

I don't see many out there shaving pills and using jewelry scales to daily cut/micro-cut.

I'm down to 6.0mg Valium as of tomorrow, and have just been overwhelmed with withdrawal symptoms... and I've been cutting at a slow pace of .02mg/day with the scale. I feel like I'm going insane everyday, weak and exhausted as hell, anxious, depressed, rapid cycling, extreme DP/DR.. something that I wouldn't have expected when cutting as slowly as I am.

Would people recommend avoiding the shaving method? I can't in good faith keep doing this, because while I am lowering my dose, I'm going absolutely insane. I'm not going to put up with these ideations everyday.

I have pharma grade Valium Roxane brand (1ml:1mg Valium) and am considering holding at 6mg for a bit and then trying to daily taper with part pills and part liquid again.

Any thoughts would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan

I agree with Kgirl, you might have a bit of a reaction because of the hydrocortisone, you don't take them around the same do you? Just asking cos usually if I have to take something that may interfere with the v I take them at opposite ends of the day, less likely to get a reaction but that's just my experience.

Maybe having a longer hold than usual may help, holy hell,I started this taper back in April and I have only gone from 4 to 3.78 and we are now half way through June my last hold was 16 days, but I am holding now until everything settles again,  so if you need to slow it down go for it. Just remember this isn't a race, and we don't know what our healing rate really is.

I chose to titrate rather than scales cos it just seemed so much less frigging around lol

My motto: KISS ( keep it simple stupid) :laugh:

Try and follow your gut, if you can't handle the sx then IMO slow it down.

Luv n hugs dan :smitten:

Gypsy

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[b1...]

Hey man,

I don't see many out there shaving pills and using jewelry scales to daily cut/micro-cut.

The reason being is that microgram weighing scales may say they weigh in micogram increments, but they wil never ever do it accurately unless one spends about two grand on proper lab scales.

Doing a micro taper with jewellers scales will lead to significant shifts both up and dwn in doses, because jewellers scales simply can't measure accuratley at those low weights.

That basically = no possibility of any tangible stability during a taper and most-likely a corresponding instablity in the symptoms.  Some folks wonder why they never have a stable microtaper when they need look no futher than the innacruate jewellers scales they're using.

The clue is in the name... 'jewellers' scales.  Not 'laboratory' scales.

To give you an example of why it takes about two grand to buy accurate micogram scales.. using those scales to measure toxic psychedelics at microgram doses, for example, could mean the difference between life or death with the fluctuations you'll see with cheap jewellers scales, which is why any responsible psychonaut never uses jewellers scales to measure dangerous or addictive drugs and gets very, VERY nervous when we see people about to do just that.

I seriously urge you to consider looking at a more accurate solution and not have a serious withdrawal profile through using inaccurate equipment.  It's your call, of course, but I've done what I needed to do in warning you of the risks.

J :)

Just wondering.

Everyone I see doing daily tapers seem to be using either compounded liquid to cut or they make their own liquid suspension/solution.

I'm down to 6.0mg Valium as of tomorrow, and have just been overwhelmed with withdrawal symptoms... and I've been cutting at a slow pace of .02mg/day with the scale. I feel like I'm going insane everyday, weak and exhausted as hell, anxious, depressed, rapid cycling, extreme DP/DR.. something that I wouldn't have expected when cutting as slowly as I am.

Would people recommend avoiding the shaving method? I can't in good faith keep doing this, because while I am lowering my dose, I'm going absolutely insane. I'm not going to put up with these ideations everyday.

I have pharma grade Valium Roxane brand (1ml:1mg Valium) and am considering holding at 6mg for a bit and then trying to daily taper with part pills and part liquid again.

Dan

Hi Dan

I agree with Kgirl, you might have a bit of a reaction because of the hydrocortisone, you don't take them around the same do you? Just asking cos usually if I have to take something that may interfere with the v I take them at opposite ends of the day, less likely to get a reaction but that's just my experience.

Maybe having a longer hold than usual may help, holy hell,I started this taper back in April and I have only gone from 4 to 3.78 and we are now half way through June my last hold was 16 days, but I am holding now until everything settles again,  so if you need to slow it down go for it. Just remember this isn't a race, and we don't know what our healing rate really is.

I chose to titrate rather than scales cos it just seemed so much less frigging around lol

Gypsy

Me too Gypsy  :thumbsup: except I'm at 3.86 and holding as of yesterday, each to there own our bodies are all different, don't let anyone elses opinion or personal positive or negatives override what you need to do for yourself. I've seen a lot of that on here where people are under the impression their doing it wrong gauging their self by others results or methods?

Go with what you feel is right for you even if it mean's trying different way's to get around it, but also remember it isn't always the method but the way WD and sxs pan out no matter what you do, I have learned that along the way over year's .

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Just wondering.

Dan

Hi Dan

Gypsy

Me too Gypsy  :thumbsup: except I'm at 3.86 and holding as of yesterday, each to there own our bodies are all different, don't let anyone elses opinion or personal positive or negatives override what you need to do for yourself. I've seen a lot of that on here where people are under the impression their doing it wrong gauging their self by others results or methods?

Go with what you feel is right for you even if it mean's trying different way's to get around it, but also remember it isn't always the method but the way WD and sxs pan out no matter what you do, I have learned that along the way over year's .

Hey Nova

Nice to see someone else going as slow as me, I thought I may have been the slowest lol I never used to post much, didn't feel like I had anything to offer.

I must admit that benzo withdrawal can be a very lonely place as friends fall by the wayside as they just don't get it. So it's nice to share some thoughts with others in the same situation.

Luv n hugs

Gypsy :smitten:

Ps love your quotes :thumbsup:

Just wondering.

Dan

Hi Dan

Gypsy

Hey Nova

Nice to see someone else going as slow as me, I thought I may have been the slowest lol I never used to post much, didn't feel like I had anything to offer.

I must admit that benzo withdrawal can be a very lonely place as friends fall by the wayside as they just don't get it. So it's nice to share some thoughts with others in the same situation.

Luv n hugs

Gypsy :smitten:

Ps love your quotes :thumbsup:

Hi sweetie  :hug: unfortunately the world is full of people that 'don't get it' or don't care enough to even try to understand or be helpful :( Its made me a 'Billy no mates''  Well no one call's me anymore but when I'm able to get out I bump in to so called 'friends' but don't waste my energy talking to them too long. And my siblings are also AWOL since I mentioned Benzodiazepine WD  ::) 

But back on topic, I had to hold for 3 week's at the very first 00.1 as that was bad, now its hold time again, but if thats what it takes so be it :thumbsup:  I was in a mess for over two months after a half a mg dry cut Diazepam, I had to sleep on the floor in my lounge as trying to get to bed wasn't happening at all.  :D

And being as I'm living alone with no support I need to be as functional as possible, bad sxs or not, but so far I've been able to push myself through what feels impossible at times due to ragging sxs. So I'm all for being the snail, sod the hare and that Ninja  turtle that won the race  :laugh: At the moment I put one pill AM in spring water as the milk and Vodka routine was super bad for me as well, and take a whole pill at bedtime. :)

Love Nova XXX  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Gee Yobi:  Many people are using the small inexpensive scales successfully so though of course a laboratory scale would be better most of us don't have access to one, except for Clona - who does.  Yes your dose many be off and liquid is probably more accurate but for  some of us liquid doesn't work so in this situation we do what we have to do.  I can say that since I started using the scale and a micro taper I have had a much better taper. 

Hey man,

The reason being is that microgram weighing scales may say they weigh in micogram increments, but they wil never ever do it accurately unless one spends about two grand on proper lab scales.

Doing a micro taper with jewellers scales will lead to significant shifts both up and dwn in doses, because jewellers scales simply can't measure accuratley at those low weights.

That basically = no possibility of any tangible stability during a taper and most-likely a corresponding instablity in the symptoms.  Some folks wonder why they never have a stable microtaper when they need look no futher than the innacruate jewellers scales they're using.

The clue is in the name... 'jewellers' scales.  Not 'laboratory' scales.

To give you an example of why it takes about two grand to buy accurate micogram scales.. using those scales to measure toxic psychedelics at microgram doses, for example, could mean the difference between life or death with the fluctuations you'll see with cheap jewellers scales, which is why any responsible psychonaut never uses jewellers scales to measure dangerous or addictive drugs and gets very, VERY nervous when we see people about to do just that.

I seriously urge you to consider looking at a more accurate solution and not have a serious withdrawal profile through using inaccurate equipment.  It's your call, of course, but I've done what I needed to do in warning you of the risks.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gee Yobi:  Many people are using the small inexpensive scales successfully so though of course a laboratory scale would be better most of us don't have access to one, except for Clona - who does.  Yes your dose many be off and liquid is probably more accurate but for  some of us liquid doesn't work so in this situation we do what we have to do.  I can say that since I started using the scale and a micro taper I have had a much better taper.

All true, but many (most?) folks are not effected by minor dose-to-dose variation, especially with V.  But if your highly sensitive to even minute changes in doses, then you will probably have some problems dry-cutting/shaving/weighing, etc.

Just wondering.

Dan

Dan-see my response on your other thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=135937.msg1820272#msg1820272

Dan,

I had a horrible time dry cutting. I haven't tried the liquid taper yet, (trying to hold and stabilize a bit) but after reading tons of posts on BB's I think my system would tolerate the liquid microtaper best. If I were you, I'd give that a try, and slooooooowwwwwww down.

I'm planning on tapering as slow as possible because I know I'm sensitive. o.oo25mg aday, or even less if that is too much. I know that sounds crazy but I know you are like me (sensitive to foods etc) so this might be the way to go for you.

hang in there, bud

Shannon

Regarding the dry cutting method and accuracy of weight scales, I think that the accuracy will be noticed the most in the beginning when the first cut is made.  If a person uses the same scale and same method with each does reduction, then I expect that the subsequent incremental doses will be consistent.  I don't have any experience with dry cutting, other than finding out that it absolutely doesn't work without a scale, but I think that this concept applies to all methods - titration and dry cutting.  The losses due to containers, measurement tools, etc., will manifest predominately with the first dose and then the subsequent dose reductions will be incremental with the initial inaccuracy already locked in.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has a different view on this concept.

Regarding the dry cutting method and accuracy of weight scales, I think that the accuracy will be noticed the most in the beginning when the first cut is made.  If a person uses the same scale and same method with each does reduction, then I expect that the subsequent incremental doses will be consistent.  I don't have any experience with dry cutting, other than finding out that it absolutely doesn't work without a scale, but I think that this concept applies to all methods - titration and dry cutting.  The losses due to containers, measurement tools, etc., will manifest predominately with the first dose and then the subsequent dose reductions will be incremental with the initial inaccuracy already locked in.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has a different view on this concept.

I have to Agree with Ben.  If you are consistent on the process, then the scale being off a fraction shouldn't cause too much grief.  Even if it is off a fraction, it is still less strain on the body than cut and hold imo.  Also, be sure to calibrate the scale often.

Stay strong!

sharkey

I agree with Sharkey and Ben.  Consistency is important. Your measurement can be off, but if you prepare the dosage the same way each day with the same equipment it will not make a difference. The end result is relative to how you prepare your doses and the measuring devices used. Each measuring device (graduated cylinder, sryinges, balance, etc) will have some error associated with them.  Also how you read the volume is important. Even if you read the volume incorrectly (measurement should be taken from bottom of meniscus and at eye level) this will not affect the final outcome as long as you read the volume the same way each time you prepare the dose.

Hi guys,

Builder,Sharkey,SG57.

Could i just use one of these graduated cylinders and measure up to 100 mill then take out 2.5 mill and ad 2.5 mill of liquid valium rather than measuring 10 x 10 mills with a syringe?

My liquid valium comes in 2.5 mill = 1 milligram.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Measuring-Cylinder-Laboratory-Test-Graduated-Liquid-Trial-Tube-Jar-Tool-/321459705763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4ad87dd7a3.

Ive been using a cheep 10 mill syringe and I don't like it,The 1 mill ones are fine.

Im just getting in a little practice as I don't start for a few weeks

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Builder,Sharkey,SG57.

Could i just use one of these graduated cylinders and measure up to 100 mill then take out 2.5 mill and ad 2.5 mill of liquid valium rather than measuring 10 x 10 mills with a syringe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Measuring-Cylinder-Laboratory-Test-Graduated-Liquid-Trial-Tube-Jar-Tool-/321459705763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4ad87dd7a3.

Ive been using a cheep 10 mill syringe and I don't like it,The 1 mill ones are fine.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you could use a 100 mL graduated cylinder.  I would place the 2.5 mL of liquid valium into a jar.  Then use the graduated cylinder to measure the 97.5 mL of water and add to the jar with the 2.5 mL of valium liquid. This will take much less time than measuring out 10 x 10 mL with the syringe.

Hi guys,

Builder,Sharkey,SG57.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you could use a 100 mL graduated cylinder.  I would place the 2.5 mL of liquid valium into a jar.  Then use the graduated cylinder to measure the 97.5 mL of water and add to the jar with the 2.5 mL of valium liquid. This will take much less time than measuring out 10 x 10 mL with the syringe.

Perfect!  It will also keep from transferring the benzo between containers which will improve accuracy.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi BB's

Just checkin in to say hi and wishing you a wonderful week-end. If you are struggling, try to take joy in the little things...like a nice meal, the presence of your loved ones, a nice movie or tv show.

Soon we will heal and be able to get out and really enjoy life!

Hugs,

Shannon

My fast taper was a complete nightmare. I've never been so sick. I caved in and went up to 1.25 mg of my klonopin.  Been beating myself up since. I really thought I could tough it out. Big mistake. I'm finally stabilizing after five days back on it. I'm going to stay at this dosage until my next appointment with my psychiatrist in two weeks. Then I'll start again. This time a SLOW taper. I'm thinking I'd like to do a microtaper, but I don't have a scale. Hoping my pharmacist can help.

At least I didn't have to go back on my original dosage of 2 mg.  Unless I start up with some withdrawal symptoms.  Is that possible? 

I'm terrible at numbers, so am asking for help in figuring out the taper. Was hoping to do a daily taper or every other day. I need help. I take the klonopin at night.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone!

Ultra, you down to 2.68mg, that is awesome.  Seems like yesterday we was hashing out how to start titrating.  What are you reducing per day?  And smooth so far?

I reached a new milestone today,  down to 25% on my titration schedule so im 3/4 of the way there.  Feeling good today!  Hope everyone has a great one!

Stay strong!

sharkey

Hey Sharkey! Yep, things are slow but good. I'm reducing .01/day. Easier to do when at such a high dosage to begin with, I guess. Thanks for asking!

What does "down to 25% on my titration schedule..." mean? Sorry. Still learning.

Have a super day, everyone!!!

Enough  - first you must hold a bit since you have been off and now back on - so let your body adjust to the new dose for about 2 weeks IMHO before starting anything at all.  If you want to dry cut buy a scale on Amazon - the links are here I believe.  Or go to the Klonopin support board and scroll back since the way to do a daily  taper of klonopin has been posted multiple times.  I don't know about single dosing  and cutting every other day vs every day since I dose 2 x's per day -  again this is something you may want to ask the support group or on the withdrawal boards.   

I agree with Sharkey and Ben.  Consistency is important. Your measurement can be off, but if you prepare the dosage the same way each day with the same equipment it will not make a difference. The end result is relative to how you prepare your doses and the measuring devices used. Each measuring device (graduated cylinder, sryinges, balance, etc) will have some error associated with them.  Also how you read the volume is important. Even if you read the volume incorrectly (measurement should be taken from bottom of meniscus and at eye level) this will not affect the final outcome as long as you read the volume the same way each time you prepare the dose.

I agree with Anne, Ben and Sharkey, consistency is very important, I do not weigh my pills every day, my scale is at work, I cannot get a scale like yours in here (Mexico). So I weigh at least 14 doses in one go. For consistency I use a control, a previously weighed pill that I use to know If the scale gives the same weigh every time I prepare pills.

I noticed I feel ill after weighing pills, especially when filing doses for 20 days or more, too much powder...so now I use gloves and glasses  :D, so no more bad days after.

I would like to add also that, when trying to find the right angle, it is better to keep that rate for at least 21 days even if we are feeling very well or reasonably bad  ;D. Thus, maybe preparing pills for 2 or even 3 weeks is a good advice to all of us who have not patience  :laugh:

Ah! Other thing, I never weigh pills in rainy days bc the control weight increases  :D and we can have unprecise weights due to humidity. When weighing each pill I try to think I cannot make any mistakes bc I am cutting daily.

I wish an excellent Sunday to all of you positive BBs  :smitten:

[b1...]

Hey guys,

Just throwing this into the mix for consideration..

I have some experience with scales tolerances having been an ISO 9002 quality administrator, and had to calibrate our scales at work, and from that I learned how scales work differently at lower & higher weights. 

I think the truth in the accuracy is in the price.  For accurate scales one has to spend £2000+.  £25 from amazon won't be the same device, hence the price difference, even though they both serve the same function.  The heavier the item being weighed the more accurate the scale becomes because th tolerance becomes tighter.  The lower the weight the less accurate it becomes because the tolerance becomes wider, and that accuracy isn't static (ie one unit can weigh 0.1mg and the next time you lift that weight off - thus resetting its tolerance and put another one on it, the accuracy-tolerance is now different from the last weigh giving a different micro-dose), otherwise I'd have done exactly what you suggested, and have in the past, but I almost killed myself because the doses I was measuring at the time happened to be a lethal psychedelic rather than a benzo.  So, it's fair to note that there isn't going to be a life or death situation measuring benzos on a jewellers scale, but precisely because I agree with you about the consistency being the cirtical factor in such a process, I posted what I did about them being usuitable for benzo microtapers.  It's that inconsistency that we're guaranteed to get with jewellers scales at low weights that'll cause the problem we'd want to avoid as a microtaperer.

Consistency, I totally agree, is the key.  Cheap scales can't provide that.  That's why the price difference between inaccurate jewellers scales and proper accurate lab scales is thousands of pounds rather than a couple of hundred.

Them's my thoughts, I've already bet my life on that claim twice so I feel confident that the science & engineering principals behind weighing scales is correct.

Ps, had a thought.. if you need convincing, you could browse the research chemical forums and ask the many chemists and pharmacists there if jewellers scales are wise for micro-measurement-consistency.

You may be laughed off the forum but I think the point is made well there by professionals in this area.  Just be warned some of those forums can be pretty tough on new members.

:)

Thanks for the information every one. I did purchase a scale, but maybe when I get to the lower doses, my pharmacist can help. I know you get what you pay for in a scale. I have to stay on the dose I'm at now for three weeks, because I have to travel out of town then and don't want to have any problems.

Should I taper by 1/8 mg until I reach 1 mg and then micro-taper?

Today was my first day back at the gym. Hope I can keep it up.

Thanks again.

My fast taper was a complete nightmare. I've never been so sick. I caved in and went up to 1.25 mg of my klonopin.  Been beating myself up since. I really thought I could tough it out. Big mistake. I'm finally stabilizing after five days back on it. I'm going to stay at this dosage until my next appointment with my psychiatrist in two weeks. Then I'll start again. This time a SLOW taper. I'm thinking I'd like to do a microtaper, but I don't have a scale. Hoping my pharmacist can help.

At least I didn't have to go back on my original dosage of 2 mg.  Unless I start up with some withdrawal symptoms.  Is that possible? 

I'm terrible at numbers, so am asking for help in figuring out the taper. Was hoping to do a daily taper or every other day. I need help. I take the klonopin at night.

Thanks in advance.

try not to beat yourself up for having to updose. I did the exact same thing. uninformed taper, wayyyy too fast, got soooooo sick, tried to hold it, could not, updosed, got some relief, but not total. switching to sloooooow daily microtaper. I'm going to use the liquid titration method though.

good luck and hang in there!

shannon