Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I used oral suspension made by compounding pharmacy.  No issues except has to be refrigerated so for some people that causes problems for dosing at work and during travel. I only dosed 2 x's per day so was home for my AM and PM doses.  When I traveled put it on carry on with ice pack and then  told hotel I had a disability and required refrigerator for my medication-they complied every time. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, K girl. was your solution watery or syrupy? did you take it as is, or did you dilute it in water to microtaper? ::)

Sharky, Builder, Moodle and other Buddies,

Do you know those who have used oral suspensions (prescribed from their doctors) to micro taper?

I told my doc about the withdrawl and she is wanting to prescribe me oral/liquid suspensions now.

Do you know if these suspensions are watery or more syrupy and in any case, can they still be used by diluting them in water for the microtapers?

I believe Moodle is on a liquid suspension. I was wondering if any of you had any info about this.

Thanks so much. :thumbsup:

Wecan16

My suspension is almond oil. Just feels a bit oily but not syrupy or watery. Just like when you would swallow a little bit of olive oil. It's really a tiny bit, 1 ml.

The compound way, I sent you the pm about. Every city has one. This isn't done through a regular pharmacist.

You have a big advantage with a doc willing to get on board.

You'd ask for a 2:1 ratio valium powder in almond oil ( they can add flavoring but mind you that flavoring has MSG , I didn't know that. But it's such a tiny bit, it does not  affect me )

1 ml liquid is 0.5 mgr.

So you'll fill 1 ml syringe and replace 0.5 mgr of your dose with this.

Then reduce by 0.05 daily with holds. Or 0.025 continuously if you want to go slower.

I did 3 days in a row and then hold every fourth day.

I know I explained that to you just now but I figured it might help people who want to do this to read it here, too.

:smitten:

Oh, and mine does not need to be diluted. In fact, it should never be.

It's ready to go and you squirt in your mouth what you need.

As opposed to make your own and take out what you DONT need.

Comes in 60 ml bottle for me, does NOT need refrigeration ( should not be kept in fridge , in fact ) and is about 65 dollars and lasts me about 2 1/2 to 3 months.

Hope that helps.

Do you know those who have used oral suspensions (prescribed from their doctors) to micro taper?

I told my doc about the withdrawl and she is wanting to prescribe me oral/liquid suspensions now.

Do you know if these suspensions are watery or more syrupy and in any case, can they still be used by diluting them in water for the microtapers?

I believe Moodle is on a liquid suspension. I was wondering if any of you had any info about this.

Wecan16

I know a lot of people use suspensions.  I am not than familiar with them. When you get the details from you doctor, you can ask on the titration board.  If I'm not mistaken some suspension solutions can be diluted.

Mine was not almond oil as I am allergic to almonds I don't remember what is was suspended in to be honest but when the compounding pharmacy makes it the suspension is equal to a pill just in liquid form.  I just used a dropper to go take my dose- no measuring in water, etc.  so if my dose was .5mg than the equivalent made up dose for me in ml equaled the .5mg - if I wanted to go down I just cut off in ml. of less using a small calibrated dropper.  I just had to make sure that no air bubbles were in the dropper so the dose was correct - you do that by tapping it a few times.

Wecan16

Unless you have specific allergies to glycol-type solvents, pharma-grade liquid V is probably a better choice than a compounded suspension.  Pharma-grade liquid is a true solution[/b], not a suspension.  It is completely stable (3 year shelf-life)  is stored at room temp, is easily diluted and can be extensively diluted.

It might be a little more viscous than water, but not much.

You can create your own suspension using OraPlus/Ora/Sweet,  and the suspension liquid can be diluted 100% (1:1).  These are more viscous liquids, (that's why they work as suspensions).

Wecan16

Unless you have specific allergies to glycol-type solvents, pharma-grade liquid V is probably a better choice than a compounded suspension.  Pharma-grade liquid is a true solution[/b], not a suspension.  It is completely stable (3 year shelf-life)  is stored at room temp, is easily diluted and can be extensively diluted.

It might be a little more viscous than water, but not much.

You can create your own suspension using OraPlus/Ora/Sweet,  and the suspension liquid can be diluted 100% (1:1).  These are more viscous liquids, (that's why they work as suspensions).

thanks, Sharky, Kgirl, Moodle,

and Builder... the pharma grade liquid V--is that Valium?---do you know if they have straight up pure pharma grade liquid Ativan? that's what I was hoping to get from a pharmacy, so I could make my own solutions at home and dilute it so I can micro taper....

:thumbsup:

Yes, liquid V = Valium.

Yes there is a pharma-grade liquid ativan.  It;s from the same mfgr (Roxane) and uses the same glycol-type solvents.  2mg=1ml.

Yes, liquid V = Valium.

Yes there is a pharma-grade liquid ativan.  It;s from the same mfgr (Roxane) and uses the same glycol-type solvents.  2mg=1ml.

OK, great. I'll try to see if any pharmacies around here will get this in for me.  :thumbsup:

Yes, liquid V = Valium.

OK, great. I'll try to see if any pharmacies around here will get this in for me.  :thumbsup:

There should be no problem finding a pharmacy.  All they have to do is order it from their supplier/distributor.  But you do need a scrip.  Some docs seem unwilling to prescribe liquid benzos.

We can do - I  used a compounding pharmacy.  I had to call a couple of them before I found one to make up my solution.  I realize they used the Ora type solutions mentioned here to make up my klonopin.  And yes I had RX but my doctor wrote for pills and liquid so I took pill format and used the liquid to cut. I had no trouble filling both Rxes my doctor just told me to fill them a week apart and my insurance paid for both.    I am now doing dry cutting with the scale a micro taper which works better for me but if the liquid works for you it allows you even more flexibility than the dry cutting since the scales can't weigh to lower than .001 and the liquid allows you to cut smaller doses if you need to.  Good luck and you will do this. Once you get used to it,  it becomes easy to do and soon you will be helping other people do liquid titration. 

Thanks Kgirl, and Builder:

all this help is invaluable. I'm just at the beginning of all this (tried uninformed taper myself) and am now paying for it, so having this advice and encouragement is really like  a light house in the storm.

thanks again for everything, everyone. :smitten:

Hi BBs,

2 things I'm curious about. Did your armpits start smelling like death when you started tapering?  :laugh: I don't even mind, and I think it's sorta funny, but I was curious if it happened to any of you. I'm not really a 'smelly' person, and I don't even usually have the wear deodorant, but wowzers! I am funky now!

#2 So, whether I do the liquid on my own (dissolve the pills) or get the liquid A from a pharmacy, I've 100% decided on the daily microtaper from 1.5mg Ativan (.375mg x4) a day.

Could Sharky, Builder  do up a small example of a taper schedule, so I can bring into my doctor and pharmacist so they know what I'm talking about. They keep wanting me to cut and hold, and that did not work well for my sensitive system, so if I had an example of this written down to take in, it would be so helpful. Please only if you have some spare time. I don't want to trouble. you.

Thanks so much,

Wecan16 :smitten:

Hi BBs,

2 things I'm curious about. Did your armpits start smelling like death when you started tapering?  :laugh: I don't even mind, and I think it's sorta funny, but I was curious if it happened to any of you. I'm not really a 'smelly' person, and I don't even usually have the wear deodorant, but wowzers! I am funky now!

#2 So, whether I do the liquid on my own (dissolve the pills) or get the liquid A from a pharmacy, I've 100% decided on the daily microtaper from 1.5mg Ativan (.375mg x4) a day.

Could Sharky, Builder  do up a small example of a taper schedule, so I can bring into my doctor and pharmacist so they know what I'm talking about. They keep wanting me to cut and hold, and that did not work well for my sensitive system, so if I had an example of this written down to take in, it would be so helpful. Please only if you have some spare time. I don't want to trouble. you.

Thanks so much,

Okay... Haha.

So, are you SURE you smell? Because I didn't always smell things that were actually there .

Something would smell " off" to me , including myself, but others didn't smell it.

Your sense of smell, sight, sound etc can all be a bit affected.

That said... During the worst part of my taper I didn't shower much anyway so I'm sure I had funky pits.... :laugh: :laugh:

( and I'm really very clean person  ;D)

Good idea to bring a schedule example in. It's what I did too and gave my doc a good view of my kan and saw I researched it , did my homework and was well informed.

I also was armed with the Ashton manual and so e other papers.

Maybe a good argument would be that this might actually be FASTER , since you don't get slammed as hard and not have to do those holds on cut and hold? That's what I said.

That I really wanted off but my system just too Senstive to cut like that.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey wecan16,

I agree with moodle.  The smell is probably your heighten senses. So you always smelled  that way LOL jk.

I will do you a sample taper this evening when im in front of a computer.  Don't like typing that much on this mobile.

sharkey

haha! Thanks Moodle, and Sharky.

I swear I have lost some sense of smell since the benzo use. I wonder if I have smelled like this all along!? hahaha.

Thanks about the sample schedule, sharky. This will really be helpful  :smitten:

I swear I have lost some sense of smell since the benzo use. I wonder if I have smelled like this all along!? hahaha.

Thanks about the sample schedule, sharky. This will really be helpful  :smitten:

glad you're way north of me!  :laugh:

http://j.mp/1Gj9qg1

glad you're way north of me!  :laugh:

http://j.mp/1Gj9qg1

hehe! I bet if you put your head outside in the right direction, you could probably smell me anyways :laugh:

Wecan, I actually was going to ask about the same you did, so I have been always smelled like this? Ha ha ha  :laugh:

WeCan Taper Plan:

So you know how to do the solution.  I would do a couple of batches at a time so you have a few days in liquid form.  Then all you have to do is measure out your doses.  Here is a sample plan and I highly recommend you keep a written record.  If you are like me, the benzo brain will have you forget where you are at and that can be bad :)

You will be using the 1mg Ativan per 100ml of water solution.  Dissolving the pills in a few ml of 80 proof vodka.

So as we discussed if you do a 0.0025mg reduction a day it would look like this:

Total 150ml or 1.5mg Ativan

Day 1:    37.25ml  37.5ml  37.5ml  37.5ml 

Day 2:    37.25ml  37.25ml 37.5ml  37.5ml

Day 3:    37.25ml  37.25ml 37.25ml 37.5ml

Day 4:    37.25ml  37.25ml 37.25ml 37.25ml

Day 5:    37ml      37.25ml 37.25ml 37.25ml

Day 6:    37ml      37ml      37.25ml  37.25ml

Day 7:    37ml      37ml      37ml      37.25ml

Day 8:    37ml      37ml      37ml      37ml

Day 9:    36.75ml  37ml      37ml      37ml

Day 10:  36.75ml  36.75ml 37ml      37ml

Day 11:  36.75ml  36.75ml 36.75ml 37ml

Day 12:  36.75ml  36.75ml 36.75ml 36.75ml

Day 13:  36.5ml    36.75ml 36.75ml 36.75ml

Day 14:  36.5ml    36.5ml  36.75ml 36.75ml  Total = 146.50ml or 1.465mg Ativan

So after 14 Days, you will be reducing 0.035 Ativan or 2.3%.  I think this is very conservative and you could probably speed up some but this will let you know how sensitive you are.  And you will also be getting use to the process.

Does this all make sense?  Please let me know what questions you have. 

Stay strong!

sharkey

Wecan, I actually was going to ask about the same you did, so I have been always smelled like this? Ha ha ha  :laugh:

hehe, Clona. our poor families and friend have been putting up with our stink for years and have been too polite to say anything. :P

Oh, Sharky. this is perfect and makes sense. I'm going to take this into my doc to help get her on board. thank you!

Happy Monday Everyone!!

I hope everyone is getting off to a good start this week!  Monday's can be very difficult for a lot of people, I know they are for me.  If you are getting off to a rough start, just remember that this too shall pass and before you know it.  It will be the weekend again.  I always try to remember to put it in cruise control when I get down and just get it done.  Try to avoid unnecessary stressful situations until you feel better.  Keep your heads high and know that you are 1 day closer to being healed!

Stay strong!

sharkey

Have a nice day, Sharkey .

Thanks for this.

My sons last three days of school, so lots of last minute stuff, field trip and ceremonies.

I'm going to give it my all to be there tomorrow .  :thumbsup:

On my way for re-do of root canal in an hour, I keep telling myself that I'll be back in 2 1/2 hours , all done.

Super nervous. But beating it. Nothing to worry about...  ::)

Cruise control it is.

Hello everyone and thanks Sharkey for the invite. I am working on getting stable and will then start my taper. You guy's have given me hope that I can get there this time and I thank everyone in advance for their support. My Monday has been pretty good until about an hour ago. I had a little wave but it seems to not be s bad. My first instinct is to dose but I held out. I would love to be able to stay at my 2mg and let that be my starting point. I hope everyone else is having a great day and I will be posting as soon as I can get myself on a schedule.