Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I love this group - so positive - Sharkey thanks for starting it. I walked over 2 miles today - last year I could barely make it around the block though I forced myself to walk.  Now I am actually enjoying the exercise.  I checked my progress log and over this year I have dropped almost .21 mg of Valium equivalent - since if I do my dose in Valium (which I am still on) it would be around 11.5 or less using Ashton when I add up my klonopin dose and the 2 mg of Valium.  I can't believe it - daily tapering does help and I am glad I went back to the klonopin with the small amt of valium - I have Ellen to thank for that - so thank you Ellen.  I don't know what I would do without my benzo buddies.

Going to join you soon, Kgirl. Right after this wave...  :laugh:

I have been walking a lot more.

Glad this method works for you too.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this group - so positive - Sharkey thanks for starting it. I walked over 2 miles today - last year I could barely make it around the block though I forced myself to walk.  Now I am actually enjoying the exercise.  I checked my progress log and over this year I have dropped almost .21 mg of Valium equivalent - since if I do my dose in Valium (which I am still on) it would be around 11.5 or less using Ashton when I add up my klonopin dose and the 2 mg of Valium.  I can't believe it - daily tapering does help and I am glad I went back to the klonopin with the small amt of valium - I have Ellen to thank for that - so thank you Ellen.  I don't know what I would do without my benzo buddies.

You're doing great, kgirl. I too, don't know what I'd do without my Benzo buddies!

yes! loving the positivity. and congrats Kgirl for the exercise. It's sure nice to think about that to look fwd to. I was in a pretty bad way all week, but the Ativan dosing 4 times a day really helped me today. I actually walked outside for 20 mins! Considering I could barely get out of bed all week, I was super happy. Here's to accepting the downtimes and celebrating the good ones!

Wecan16

yes! loving the positivity. and congrats Kgirl for the exercise. It's sure nice to think about that to look fwd to. I was in a pretty bad way all week, but the Ativan dosing 4 times a day really helped me today. I actually walked outside for 20 mins! Considering I could barely get out of bed all week, I was super happy. Here's to accepting the downtimes and celebrating the good ones!

Wecan16

Cheers to that !

It can switch around just like that. We have to keep reading ourselves and each other that, when it hits.

Glad the spreading out of doses is helping you.  :thumbsup:

Wecan16

Cheers to that !

It can switch around just like that. We have to keep reading ourselves and each other that, when it hits.

yes. I was having BAD interdose withdrawls and I didn't even realize it. And I was actually able to talk to my mom today about my microtapering plan. She's always been against me getting off benzos because she knows the horror stories, but I really was able to explain to her about how bad they are for you, and about tolerance withdrawl and everything and how getting off them is what's needed and she was super cool about it. it was a relief for me, because I don't like having to hide things from my family. and there was no way I'd be able to hide my benzo taper..hehe.

I told her about benzo buddies and she was super happy I was learning so much and meeting such nice folks. she noticed a difference in me since I started the 4 doses of Ativan in the past 2 days. I told her it was you guys who suggested it. She was happy :)

Have a good night, all. I'll check back in the AM. and if any of you ever want to PM , feel free.

Hugs,

Wecan16

Wecan16

Cheers to that !

yes. I was having BAD interdose withdrawls and I didn't even realize it. And I was actually able to talk to my mom today about my microtapering plan. She's always been against me getting off benzos because she knows the horror stories, but I really was able to explain to her about how bad they are for you, and about tolerance withdrawl and everything and how getting off them is what's needed and she was super cool about it. it was a relief for me, because I don't like having to hide things from my family. and there was no way I'd be able to hide my benzo taper..hehe.

I told her about benzo buddies and she was super happy I was learning so much and meeting such nice folks. she noticed a difference in me since I started the 4 doses of Ativan in the past 2 days. I told her it was you guys who suggested it. She was happy :)

Have a good night, all. I'll check back in the AM. and if any of you ever want to PM , feel free.

Hugs,

Wecan16

It helps so much when your family is supportive and understanding. Glad you had that talk.

Good night to you, WeCAn

WeCan16 and everyone else...we were all brought here together for a reason. It may have been hell for us up to this point, but with the knowledge we now have along with the guidance and positive support, you WILL make it!! I'm glad we all found our benzo-free home. We may cross the finish line at different times, but at least we'll cross the damn thing!! We'll get our lives back and have less pain getting there from where we are currently.

Congrats again, Sharkey, on being done with this in 32 days.  Don't leave us when you get done!!! My road at 5mg of clonazepam/day for over 21 years seems insurmountable at times, but seems more bearable when I think about 1 hour or 1 day at a time. I'm sure I'll have more crazy questions for you as you know, but they'll slow down after a while and then I'll learn to help others like me and the rest of the gang.

Everybody rock on and git 'er done!!!

Good Morning to all of you positive BBs  :smitten:

It is Friday  :smitten:

Moodle, I have also found out that speaking or seeing positive people at work, Instead of listening to the negative ones helps me a lot to keep positive. Of course we need to speak to all the people in our lives, but I Try to put more attention to the positive ones.

I hope you can have a very beautiful day.

To all of you in here I wish you an excellent Friday  :smitten:

Just lost my entire post- Moodie great that you are exercising - just do what you can do.  If I can't walk I do a simple yoga tape.  Posting the link here. 

He has lots more you tubes for yoga all of which are very good. I think what has helped me is to get those good chemicals released naturally for my body- which is done by exercising, deep breathing, and meditation.  So even on my worst days I do the yoga, and the deep breathing. 

Everyone have a great Friday.  Keep positive thoughts going. 

Morning everyone!

Thanks for the posts this morning!  woke up with a little anxiety and needed the positivity.  Did some breathing and took a shower and snapped out of it.  Feel great now! Gonna be a great day!  Bring my 18 month old son to the zoo for the first time.  He loves animals!  I took off today and the rest of the weekend (I normally work 6 days a week).  I will check in later!

Stay strong!

sharkey

This thread/group is a god-send. I think we all need the positivity during this. And it's possible to try to focus on the positive, even in the midst of this hardship.

Can I ask you to chime in on how you are all microtapering? Are most of you doing the liquid titration? and if so, I am so lost as to how much are you  reducing each day. I've read the plans, but my brain is so foggy, I'm finding it hard to follow so much information--I feel so silly.

Can someone walk me thru just a little example? So, right now, if I'm taking 1.5mg of Ativan a day. I'm dosing 4 times a day. SO, I'm taking 0.375 mg four times a day.

I am really SUPER sensitive, so I'd like to make really really small tapers each day.

How do I begin to formulate a plan for this. Sorry, if I seem so out of it, my brain has never been this 'blah' and I really need some help to walk me thru forumulating how to switch to liquid and then how much to taper each day.

any help would be soo appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Hugs,

Wecan16

How are you dissolving the pills wecan16? Milk or alcohol?  Also are your pills .5mg?  I am doing a daily reduction of .0025mg a day.  I us alcohol to dissolve the pill.  Let me know you preference and we will get you a plan setup

Example For Wecan16:

Dissolve 1mg of Ativan in 2ml of Vodka.  Add 98ml of water which will give you a 100ml solution.  This will make the math easy because each 1ml represents .01mg of A.  So to get to your .375mg dose you need 37.5ml of the solution.  Make sense?

If I was you I would take 2 doses a day in liquid form and see how you feel.  So example:

Dose 1: .375mg pill, Dose 2: 37.5ml liquid, Dose 3: .375mg pill, Dose 4: 37.5ml liquid

After you see how this goes, then you could liquify all your doses.  Since you are dosing 4 times a day, it will be easier to take 4 even doses if you do all liquid.  Make sense?

How are you dissolving the pills wecan16? Milk or alcohol?  Also are your pills .5mg?  I am doing a daily reduction of .0025mg a day.  I us alcohol to dissolve the pill.  Let me know you preference and we will get you a plan setup

In your studies, Sharkey, what is your opinion on the best way to do this? Is alcohol more reliable in terms of dissolving the pills and having accuracy? if one uses alcohol, how much of it does one have to consume a day? (I am sorta sensitive to milk and alcohol, but I do use some alcohol in tinctures for herbs, so I can tolerate alcohol, just not a lot of it.)

Thanks so much, Sharkey for your help. I feel emotional (in a good way) seeing people reaching out to help others, when they too, are going thru such a hard time :smitten:

Example For Wecan16:

Dissolve 1mg of Ativan in 2ml of Vodka.  Add 98ml of water which will give you a 100ml solution.  This will make the math easy because each 1ml represents .01mg of A.  So to get to your .375mg dose you need 37.5ml of the solution.  Make sense?

If I was you I would take 2 doses a day in liquid form and see how you feel.  So example:

Dose 1: .375mg pill, Dose 2: 37.5ml liquid, Dose 3: .375mg pill, Dose 4: 37.5ml liquid

After you see how this goes, then you could liquify all your doses.  Since you are dosing 4 times a day, it will be easier to take 4 even doses if you do all liquid.  Make sense?

Yes. This makes sense. I think I will have my fiancé look it over to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. You are making perfect sense, it is just my sill benzo brain. I will do this, and try to see how I tolerate the liquids and then check back for the next steps. Thank you so much, Sharky. :smitten:

In your studies, Sharkey, what is your opinion on the best way to do this? Is alcohol more reliable in terms of dissolving the pills and having accuracy? if one uses alcohol, how much of it does one have to consume a day? (I am sorta sensitive to milk and alcohol, but I do use some alcohol in tinctures for herbs, so I can tolerate alcohol, just not a lot of it.)

Thanks so much, Sharkey for your help. I feel emotional (in a good way) seeing people reaching out to help others, when they too, are going thru such a hard time :smitten:

2ml vodak (80 proof)  is less than about .2tsp alcohol.  And using sharkey's suggestion (which I would recommend) that will be diluted 99:1!

So if you put 2ml of 80 proof alcohol in a 100ml solution. It is a fraction of a %, like .8% alcohol or something.  You absorb more alcohol when you rinse with mouth wash, if you use listerine.  I prefer alcohol because it doesn't have to be refrigerated and you can see what is going on in the solution.

Builder just a quick note when you switch over to liquid you need to consider it a cut to give your body time to get used to the new way you are taking a portion of your med - so hold for around 2 weeks at your current dose with the liquid and then start your cuts.  The way to win this race is going slowly when you make changes. 

Ok thanks Builder, Sharky, and Kgirl. This is comforting about the alcohol. I will do this method. Ill try this switch and report back in for later instructions. Over and out. hehe ;D

wecan16

Builder just a quick note when you switch over to liquid you need to consider it a cut to give your body time to get used to the new way you are taking a portion of your med - so hold for around 2 weeks at your current dose with the liquid and then start your cuts.  The way to win this race is going slowly when you make changes.

You are correct.  Haven't discussed cutting yet on purpose.  it is important to get the liquid part down first before you think about cutting.

Wecan16,  do you have the tools you need for liquid?  Syringes and something to measure your water with?  also you never answered me about the mg of you pills.  are they .5mg? or 1mg?

Stay strong!

sharkey

You are correct.  Haven't discussed cutting yet on purpose.  it is important to get the liquid part down first before you think about cutting.

Wecan16,  do you have the tools you need for liquid?  Syringes and something to measure your water with?  also you never answered me about the mg of you pills.  are they .5mg? or 1mg?

Stay strong!

sharkey

oops. sorry. My pills are currently the 0.5 mg Ativan. I was planning on going to the stores this evening  to get supplies.

So, can you suggest the supplies I could pick up from the pharmacy?  a specific size of a syringe? something to crush up my pills? or will they dissolve in the alcohol on there own.  DO you use a clear bottle to store the solution in? and then the vodka of course.

So to make the solution you will need to use 2 x.5mg pills.  You may need to use 3ml of vodka to dissolve both pills at once.  Don't worry about crushing the pills. They dissolve really fast in alcohol.

I would get a 1ml syringe, 10ml syringe for sure.  Then you need something to measure the water with.  I just use a kitchen measuring cup but I would get something a little more accurate.  Look up a graduated cylinder on the internet you need something like that.  You can getting a bigger syringe and use that if you prefer, maybe a 50ml or whatever they have.  What you put the solution in really doesn't matter as long as it seals.  I use the the containers that came with my nutri-bullet mixer.  Some people use small mason jars.

Builder may have better info on this.

Stay strong!

Sharkey

Btw, if you have teouble finding syringes, the city's compound pharmacy has them in all shapes and sizes. They cost next to nothing.

I get mine for free with my liquid, though.

Thanks, Moodle. And thanks, Sharky. I'm so glad you guys are walking me thru this step by step. It's making it so less daunting and more digestible

I hope you both, and all the other buddies on here, can do at least one thing this week-end that brings them some joy: a trip to the zoo, a nice date with a loved one, a nice walk, a funny movie, a favorite meal...

just the little things to help keep us positive. Ok. I'm on the hunt for my supplies...tty soon :thumbsup:

While there is some anecdotal reports of that on message boards, I can find absolutely no medical or scientific evidence to support it.  If you actually can link me to some documented data or research, I would love to review it.  I certainly did not experience it.

But sharkey has already suggested "easing into" liquid as a precautionary.  And I certainly see no reason not to hold your total dose for 10 days or so just to see how you respond.  I did this.  (but as I said, I certainly didn't notice any effect)

But honestly, I would discorage anyone from updosing unless they experience a genuine significant discomfort from the change.  There is no reason to make this process anymore difficult than necessary.