Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Reassurances from professionals that we will heal

[mi...]

Kiddo,

I was driving past her Pharmacy on the way to the grocery store & she was closing up & I quickly pulled in to ask another

question because you always think of things after you leave & had to say "hey I promise I am not stalking you" haha" then

ask the question out of the window of my truck while she was getting in her car.

I am glad you guys found that inspirational, I sure did as well.  We all need this info to make things a little easier to accept.

Have a great evening, it's nite nite time for me.

Ninj

Could you please ask her the name of the guy who spoke and the name, date and place of the conference? Or maybe a report of the conference? Maybe we can find something online about it. It could help so many people to have more information from experts or conferences. I need this info very bad. I am in big problems which could be solved this way.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mi...]

• [ni...]

• [Lo...]

• [La...]

Vanille,

I will do that, but I am afraid if I go back there too soon she is going to call the cops on me  :laugh: for stalking.  I just love the fact that someone in the medical community admits

that getting off is an issue, 99% of them are all in denial & that it's all in our heads. 

Have a great day my friend!

Ninj :smitten:

What a great thread .... My psychiatrist ( not the original prescribing ) helped me off the benzo and said will take 6 months and maybe up to a year for brain to settle down. How she explained it was our brain reacts to the benzo and makes more receptors for the added GABA . When we take the GABA  ( benzo) away , our brain takes a long time eliminating all of those extra receptors looking to be filled with GABA ....she also was overly concerned and watchful during the taper. Very concerned about the effects of taper /WD....

Tis thread will be very helpful for all of us. THANK YOU !!!

So glad I found this site, and so nice to read what your doctor had to say....gives me a little peace and some better understanding.  Thank you!!

I saw my osteopath last week. It was one of those " I can't do this one more minute" days. She looked me in the eyes and said, " You have come so far...remember, this is TEMPORARY! You are healing as you taper. You WILL recover from this." I left the office with a bit more hope. Words are powerful.

Hope and support,

Carita

Encouragement from these people make things just a little more tolerable  :thumbsup: It's always nice to talk to someone who knows

exactly what you are going thru & not get the same old blah blah blah.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ninj

Encouragement from these people make things just a little more tolerable  :thumbsup: It's always nice to talk to someone who knows

exactly what you are going thru & not get the same old blah blah blah.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ninj

You're welcome! I told him and his assistant (who is learning...slow learning curve but that is why he hired her) that I don't want to live my life medicated. No more band aids...let's address the issues so i can be 100% :-)

• 4 months later...

You are welcome Lm.....

So very sorry you are feeling so bad..... :'(

My thoughts and prayers are with you.....Minnie... :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

You are welcome Lm.....

So very sorry you are feeling so bad..... :'(

My thoughts and prayers are with you.....Minnie... :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you...the head pressure is intense, eyes are jittery and balance is off as usual.  :'(

Glad to see this thread alive again.

I went to the Pharmacy to pick up a prescription of antibiotics for my sons sinus infection & during the consult with the Pharmacist he remembered me

from 3 or 4 months ago when I mentioned to him I was tapering.  I was suprised he remembered me, it's a Walmart Pharmacy & they see thousands of

people but he asked how the taper was going & said the slow one wins the race in this, remember that.  :thumbsup:

I am also seeing a new doctor to manage my testosterone treatment & he knows all about benzo withdrawal, I was surprised! He gave me some supplements

to help get thru it & he said the same, go sloooooow.  I asked him directly if he thought we heal from this & he said absolutely.  His exact words were these

"The bad news is you are Fucked right now, the good news you are not fucked forever" He said it could take up to 2 years to be completely over the damage

this stuff has caused. 

Oh well 2 years on this crap, 1 year of tapering & 2 years to heal......what's 5 years out of my life right? Damn these doctors!

Ninj  :smitten:

Ha Ninja...I love your doc!  My three year anniversay of my taper start is approaching and is 3/20.  I'm on the 4 year plan.  :crazy:

Glad to see this thread alive again.

I went to the Pharmacy to pick up a prescription of antibiotics for my sons sinus infection & during the consult with the Pharmacist he remembered me

from 3 or 4 months ago when I mentioned to him I was tapering.  I was suprised he remembered me, it's a Walmart Pharmacy & they see thousands of

people but he asked how the taper was going & said the slow one wins the race in this, remember that.  :thumbsup:

I am also seeing a new doctor to manage my testosterone treatment & he knows all about benzo withdrawal, I was surprised! He gave me some supplements

to help get thru it & he said the same, go sloooooow.  I asked him directly if he thought we heal from this & he said absolutely.  His exact words were these

"The bad news is you are Fucked right now, the good news you are not fucked forever" He said it could take up to 2 years to be completely over the damage

this stuff has caused. 

Oh well 2 years on this crap, 1 year of tapering & 2 years to heal......what's 5 years out of my life right? Damn these doctors!

Both your pharmacist and doctor are awesome!!!!  :smitten:

I always ask when I am around doctors or pharmacists, my Walmart Pharmacist told me people don't get off these poisons.

Because they are too difficult to get off of & once symptoms hit they feel that they do indeed have an underlying anxiety issue or their Doctors tell them they do & they

can take them for life without any issues.  That's exactly what my Doctor told me, when I told him I felt like this stuff was making me stupid.  He said gooooood that's what

it's supposed to do, mellow you out and I said nooooo it's dumbing me down.  That's when I knew this stuff needs to go!

I have been tapering since last June & it's been rough but I am still working & functioning best I can & hopefully I can be done by This June & onto healing.  I have very tiny

doses that I am down to but they seem to be the hardest & I am sure the road is only going to get harder.

The Pharmacist told me that I should be commended for doing what I am doing, I explained I have never had anxiety issues & I had a very

stressful time & this was offered to me 2 years ago.  He said please keep in touch with me & tell me how you are doing with this because

he wants to know more about the process.

Ha Ninja...I love your doc!  My three year anniversay of my taper start is approaching and is 3/20.  I'm on the 4 year plan.  :crazy:

Drew,

At that long are you still dealing with symptoms?

Congrats on your 3 year anniversary, that is so awesome! I can't wait to be there.

Ninj  :thumbsup:

I forgot about this thread....glad it was bumped. 2 weeks ago I spoke with a new pharmacist about my Ativan prescription, he called me looking for clarification about my dose. I explained I was tapering and why. He asked some general questions about how I was tapering what dose I was at, what dose I started at, how long I'd been at it, etc. He said "wow, I'm so impressed. I've never seen anyone work so hard to get off these drugs". He said the majority of people give up because the symptoms can be overwhelming. His belief is that you should taper for at least a year from anything higher than 1mg Ativan. He was also knowledgable on crossing over to Valium and why that benefits some people. I asked him what his belief was in recovery. He said "from his experience, everyone recovers. But it takes lots of time". I of course pressed him and asked "how much time" and he replied "as long as it takes" I laughed. He went on to add that after a slow taper it would make sense to him that 6-12 months would bring recovery. He was not at all surprised that some of us here are 2+ years but he doesn't believe that to be "the norm".

Thanks. This is always tremendously reassuring to hear. The professionals at my healthcare provider have offered zero validation through this entire process.

I just got done w my therapist.  I haven't seen him in person for over a year.  He had difficulty believing everything I was saying was due to benzos. More of the previous condition bs.  We went back n forth for thirty minutes.  Frustrated I said let's agree to disagree but I want to do the structured CBT program to change unconscious thought patterns. 

Later in the session I said "alcoholics can take years to recover, no?"  He agreed w that statement. I then said "if they effect the same gaba receptors why would it be such a big jump that benzos could do the same thing?"  Bingo!!!  I'm sending himbashron manual and he promised me he would read.  Lots more to it but he is overall an excellent guy and not as dismissive as this may sound. It just gets old the preamble we have to go through

Are you always helping others no time to just focus on yourself.......take lots of our drug stop abruptly..... for weeks or months you will not leave your house let alone worry about anyone else, your focus will be 100% on yourself.....problem solved....

Hope this at least brought a smile to someone....we all need it.....m

Yes thank you. I've sped through the last 10 years.  My whole life II've tried to ease others pain. But this caused me to crash and burn. Now I'm learning how to protect myself better and slow down.

In physical therapy today I asked the head doctor...will I ever get my balance back???

His answer, "Of course you will...it's going to take time and that I can't tell you how long...but you will heal!"

:smitten:

That's great!  How were you able to get a p.t. referral for benzo?