• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mi...]

• [ni...]

• [Lo...]

• [La...]

So, let me just throw in a little positivity fwiw.

For 30+ years I was prescribed benzodiazepines, the first 20 for sleep. I took them on and off, never tapering. The last ten of those years I took Xanax four times a day and that was not something I could stop taking when I finally tried. So I began to taper. By the end of my taper I had a huge horrible mess of symptoms, mental, emotional and physical.

It took me 18 months to finally see improvement, another year or two of on and off symptoms but I was becoming somewhat functional again.

I’m now almost 9 years off.  I have no symptoms. I’m 70 years old and spent the day tearing paneling out of my brother’s new cabin after saying good-bye this morning to a houseguest who’d been here four days. I’m on a school board, I’m on a corporate board. My life is full, it is fulfilling, it is normal. It is actually better than normal and I have no complaints.

I can contribute to this thread because I still am on site. I can tell you I’ve seen countless people come here in desperation and pain, and seen them get through it and go back to their lives. Some write a success story, most do not.  Tens of thousands of people have been here and are gone now because they are well again.

Try not to zero in on not healing.  It won’t help.  Zero in on accepting the process.  I won’t tell you to look to the future because I know you can’t conceive of ‘future’ right now.  I couldn’t either when I was where you are now but I always believed I would get better.

Don’t let anyone take that away from you.  Believe you will get better, believe that you will heal.

:smitten:

Oh I so needed to read this right now. Thank you so so much.  I really appreciate you taking the time to post this.  Thank you so much.

Best.  Post.  Ever!

These are the stories we need to hear.  I understand that so many are suffering so much, and that's where the negativity comes from.  I get it.  I was mostly a glass half empty person my whole life.  I suffered so much more than I had to before I knew what was causing my symptoms until I started losing the negativity and embracing acceptance.  This is why I choose to truly believe I will get better.  I think that mindset is the secret sauce, and it is so sad that many ppl really can't get there.  I also believe that we will heal even without that belief, but the suffering is just so much worse.

Thanks for letting us start our day with this positivity Challis, and thank you for sticking around and giving us a complete perspective.

Lockie, we all know not everyone heals, but most people do. We don't need reminding.

--- This is quite a statement, especially coming from a moderator. I realize your reply is to Lockie, but still. If I was to be in a wave today I would be quite disturbed by this. I just flat out don't believe that people don't heal. A very few may take years, but even they get better. They're not in acute for years. Maybe some still have issues perhaps because they're on another psychotropic med or a neuroleptic, or some other supplement or substance that's hampering their healing.

Of course it's not always like that. We have some who posted on this forum recently that they are doing well at 4 months and another at 12.

I've been at this 22 months med free, and I've come a very long way. Everyone heals. Be it 5 years or 10 years for some, it's rare but it happens.

This board went south as we can see, but it's still a good board.

My cardiologist has patiently sat and listened to my situation on 3 different office visits now. He said: "That's awful. You went to get help and instead things were made worse. (by benzos & Reglan in my case.) He was empathetic and listened and believes me.

It's edited out :smitten:

• 7 months later...

So, let me just throw in a little positivity fwiw.

For 30+ years I was prescribed benzodiazepines, the first 20 for sleep. I took them on and off, never tapering. The last ten of those years I took Xanax four times a day and that was not something I could stop taking when I finally tried. So I began to taper. By the end of my taper I had a huge horrible mess of symptoms, mental, emotional and physical.

It took me 18 months to finally see improvement, another year or two of on and off symptoms but I was becoming somewhat functional again.

I’m now almost 9 years off.  I have no symptoms. I’m 70 years old and spent the day tearing paneling out of my brother’s new cabin after saying good-bye this morning to a houseguest who’d been here four days. I’m on a school board, I’m on a corporate board. My life is full, it is fulfilling, it is normal. It is actually better than normal and I have no complaints.

I can contribute to this thread because I still am on site. I can tell you I’ve seen countless people come here in desperation and pain, and seen them get through it and go back to their lives. Some write a success story, most do not.  Tens of thousands of people have been here and are gone now because they are well again.

Try not to zero in on not healing.  It won’t help.  Zero in on accepting the process.  I won’t tell you to look to the future because I know you can’t conceive of ‘future’ right now.  I couldn’t either when I was where you are now but I always believed I would get better.

Don’t let anyone take that away from you.  Believe you will get better, believe that you will heal.

[/quote

This!  This is exactly what I needed to hear today.  Challis, thank you!  You have "saved" me more times than I can count!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Multiple psychiatrists and a neurologist told me that it takes 3-6 months on average for healing, for some people, a year. My pharmacist was also reassuring, saying that the withdrawal symptoms would end.

I know some on this site have seen improvements from the 1-3 year mark. Everyone's healing journey is unique.