Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Reassurances from professionals that we will heal

[mi...]

Great argument, Drew!

I'm going to use that the next time somebody says I should be healed by now...

My doctor shook my hand when I told him I was off all drugs. I think he hates

to write prescriptions. He and I have disagreed on a few things, but we feel the

same way about these drugs.

Iggy  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mi...]

• [ni...]

• [Lo...]

• [La...]

Thank god for this thread ! My therapist doesn't want me to cut until the fist week in May. I've been holding at .5 Ativan since around Oct. She wants to wait until I am totally healed from surgery and she is back from a one week vaca. Too much other crap going on and she didn't want me to cut before surgery. She says she has not had a patient who has not healed. She thinks most people do better on a slow taper and don't have as many lingering symptoms. She says she can only think of 6 people who have had symptoms lasting over 8 months. She's been at this 25 years so that gives me hope!  She thinks people who are not battling MAJOR stressors in their lives do quite well and heal faster and that stress certainly delays a faster healing. We were having a session about me having to change my employment to successfully be healed. My job is REALLY , REALLY bad as far as stress goes. Unfortunately I carry the Health insurance and will lose my retirement if I go. Right now I don't see any other way and that in itself piles the stress on. Just going to try to make it through the summer.

I've just read through this whole thread, and I want to thank everyone for their input. It's great to hear the stories about doctors and pharmacists who are knowledgeable and reassuring about benzodiazepine withdrawal. It sounds like there's no agreement about the time frame for healing, but what does seem consistent is that everyone says we DO heal. So, for some people, it might be a shorter time frame and for others, it might be longer, but we'll all get there in the end.

Sounds good to me!

Thanks again, Everyone!

This British National Formulary update from November 2013 on the topic of benzodiazepines includes a section on Dependence and Withdrawal, as follows:

"DEPENDENCE AND WITHDRAWAL"

"Withdrawal of a benzodiazepine should be gradual because abrupt withdrawal may produce confusion, toxic psychosis, convulsions, or a condition resembling delirium tremens. Abrupt withdrawal of a barbiturate is even more likely to have serious effects.

The benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome may develop at any time up to 3 weeks after stopping a long-acting benzodiazepine, but may occur within a day in the case of a short-acting one. It is characterised by insomnia, anxiety, loss of appetite and of body-weight, tremor, perspiration, tinnitus, and perceptual disturbances. Some symptoms may be similar to the original complaint and encourage further prescribing; some symptoms may continue for weeks or months after stopping benzodiazepines.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal should be flexible and carried out at a reduction rate that is tolerable for the patient. The rate should depend on the initial dose of benzodiazepine, duration of use, and the patient's clinical response. Short-term users of benzodiazepines (2–4 weeks only) can usually taper off within 2–4 weeks. However, long-term users should be withdrawn over a much longer period of several months or more.

A suggested protocol for withdrawal for prescribed long-term benzodiazepine patients is as follows:

Transfer patient stepwise, one dose at a time over about a week, to an equivalent daily dose of diazepam(1) preferably taken at night

Reduce diazepam dose, usually by 1–2 mg every 2–4 weeks (in patients taking high doses of benzodiazepines, initially it may be appropriate to reduce the dose by up to one-tenth every 1–2 weeks). If uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms occur, maintain this dose until symptoms lessen

Reduce diazepam dose further, if necessary in smaller steps; steps of 500 micrograms may be appropriate towards the end of withdrawal. Then stop completely.

For long-term patients, the period needed for complete withdrawal may vary from several months to a year or more

Withdrawal symptoms for long-term users usually resolve within 6–18 months of the last dose. Some patients will recover more quickly, others may take longer. The addition of beta-blockers, antidepressants and antipsychotics should be avoided where possible. Counselling can be of considerable help both during and after the taper."

Here's the link:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/BNF.htm

I just wanted to add that it's reassuring to read such information in a highly-respected source of information that's used by doctors and pharmacists in the UK. It states the length of time it can take for withdrawal to resolve, i.e. 6-18 months after the last dose (give or take).

It's a document that I printed out so that I could share it with those who might not understand how long recovery can take. It's validating.

My benzo wise pdoc said out of all of his 200+ benzo patients, not one of them took longer than 18 months to heal. He said most healed within a year.

Thank you so much for this thread. I have asked a few pharmacists and they all said to call my doctor.

My doctor doesn't know. So although I won't be able to contribute, I so appreciate being able to read it. Again, thank you. Cross

Hi everyone....I thought I would start a thread where everyone that has had a professional reassure them about the w/d syndrome could describe what they were told.....there are not enough benzo wise professionals that everyone is lucky enough to run into one, so sharing some positives may help those who need to hear that we will all heal.

I can start with what my pharmacist told me.....He told me that it did not matter how long we took these meds 2 wks or 20plus yrs. we will all ABSOLUTELY heal....he said those of us that are suffering are sensitive to this med.... he also said 6 to 18 mos. a few a little longer.....but it will end, he had no doubt whatsoever...I believe him and it was so reassuring to hear that from someone who deals with these meds everyday....

I hope others will chime in with other positives they have heard from professionals......thank you.......m

Great thread!

I am having multiple sx's and vision problems. I went to an eye Dr. who helps people with concussions. His OT works several places and said she has helped several people off their rx's and that it can take every bit of a year to 1.5 years. One patient took 2 years. She said anxiety seemed to be the biggest problems they had after coming off the rx's.

I saw a neurologist and he looked at my list of rx's that I was on and said the benzo was the problem. We discussed the GABA receptors, etc. He was familiar and said that there are more receptors involved than just the GABA. He said it can take about 18 months on average.

I also talked with my nephew who graduated as a Pharmacist a few years ago. he remembers studying about benzo withdrawal and taking quizzes about it. He doesn't have any personal experience in his practice. But, interesting that he studied about it in Pharm school.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you, it does help! Some of us have passed the 1.5 year mark, so it gets harder as we go along. It's good to hear about the person who healed at 2 years, and from other people who have contributed to this thread, it seems like 1-2 years is the normal range.

You've got a great moniker, HopeDreamBelieve! We all need to do those three things!

What does healing look like or feel like? I'd be really curious to hear what others' healing feels like, to give me some hope.

Lately I've felt - even as I've slowly tapered down to 0.5 mg diazepam - sometimes more confused, more alone, kind of crazy, not myself. I stare into space, I lie in bed depressed for hours, I can barely speak to others I'm so isolated. Do these kinds of things go away - I mean, can healing include remediation of these things? I can barely plan for the future like this but I have some opportunities I could take (grad program) yet I feel too out-of-it, messed up, to do so. It scares me. I want some clarity and confidence back.

NYC4, the Success Stories offer great examples of what healing looks and feels like, and they offer hope to the rest of us. If you haven't read any lately, it's worth taking the time to read a few -- new or old.

What does healing look like or feel like? I'd be really curious to hear what others' healing feels like, to give me some hope.

Lately I've felt - even as I've slowly tapered down to 0.5 mg diazepam - sometimes more confused, more alone, kind of crazy, not myself. I stare into space, I lie in bed depressed for hours, I can barely speak to others I'm so isolated. Do these kinds of things go away - I mean, can healing include remediation of these things? I can barely plan for the future like this but I have some opportunities I could take (grad program) yet I feel too out-of-it, messed up, to do so. It scares me. I want some clarity and confidence back.

I know how that feels. But I have a strong belief the isolation will fade. For me, a big part is that I do not want to burden my friends and I worry about my social ability. This will pass.

As for the grad program opportunity, I can tell you I was almost completed with a grad program when the side effects of the drug came on. I was on the drug and others because the stress of grad school and sick family was too much to bare. I wish I took time off. I am not a person who regrets or takes the easy road, but this I regret. I know now that it's okay to take things slow and not keep up with the pack. The school should be willing to delay your entrance or allow you to take one or two courses. another option is to try and obtain a syllabus of potential classes you can take, and get a head start on the material but wait for the classes another semester!

My advice is listen to your body and your soul. Mine told me to slow down and I didn't. Now I've been forced into slowing down.

Is it a year of healing (on average) regardless of how long you were on? I have been on K for less than four months. Can I expect a year of sxs after I finally jump?

Great thread. I struggle to find reliable professionals because I live in a more rural area and can't travel far due to anxiety

Healing time is a very individual thing, it seems. The British National Formulary states that it can take 6-18 months to heal after the last dose of a taper, with some taking less time and some taking more. Some heal very quickly, from what I can see. But I'm at 23 months off and still very dizzy. I'm sure genetics play a huge role, but there are other factors, such as which medication you took, the dose, concurrent medications, alcohol use, gender, age, etc.

I am 15 months off a mg of ativan, only took it for 5.5 weeks then tapered over 3.5 months. While I am largely healed, I still do have some sxs that are troubling and appear to truly be due to the benzo; muscle twitching, anxiety, early wake-up (insomnia) associated with a burning/buzzing brain.

And of course, profound sensitivity to alcohol.

But overall, I am mostly healed.

laser :)

Hi All,

I'm glad I found this thread. I don't have any professionals giving me encouraging information regarding recovery time. I've seen the 18 month mark bantered about a bit, but I notice it's been associated with recovery after tapering. Does the same 18 month recovery period hold true for cold turkey detox? Have any of you gotten any information regarding it? I'm 13 months out and am focusing on 5 months from now. Gotta have hope somewhere.

Thanks, Hayden  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank Heaven for this thread! What an incredible idea. My doctors have been telling me it's extremely unlikely for people to still have symptoms at 8 months out. From the Ashton Manual I know that's wrong but it's still messing with my head and getting in the way of the tiny hope I did have. I know I had anxiety & depression before but never this bad. I have to believe it's withdrawal. This thread REALLY helps.

"Reassurances from professionals that we will heal"

Are these the same "professionals" that advised us that:

benzos are not dangerous addictive drugs?

we could just stop whenever we want?

you cant get addicted from a short course?

withdrawals only last a few weeks at most?

2.5mg valium is subclinical and cant have any effect?

Please............

laser

No, these are probably other, more informed professionals. It's best not to paint everyone with a black brush. There ARE good people out there who are trying to help, and it's good to acknowledge them. That's what this thread is about, and it offers us some much-needed hope.

No, these are probably other, more informed professionals. It's best not to paint everyone with a black brush. There ARE good people out there who are trying to help, and it's good to acknowledge them. That's what this thread is about, and it offers us some much-needed hope.

I understand that the profession has folks with varying degrees of expertise in this field. I didnt claim otherwise; my post was a question, not a comment. But there are GOOD physicians out there trying to help that are unfortunately highly uneducated. I'm a trained neuropharmacologist and an expert in receptor pharmacology/neural degeneration/regeneration; what I've found from reading the relevant clinical and non-clinical literature on benzodiazepenes and their effects is that most physicians are off base (though well meaning) because the majority of information available to them is lacking.

That said, I am a firm believer in healing post-benzos but this has little to do with what a health professional tells me. It is based on empiricism: my own healing, the healing of the BB community, documented clinical case reports, and the like. I'm not trying to detract from the TRUTH that we do heal, I am just very suspect of physician's "expert" opinions on many things. The entire profession has had misguided advice in many areas of human health some of which have only begun to turn around (e.g. low fat diets and cardiovascular disease) but I digress....

:)

Laser, can you provide your own expert opinion with some of those encouraging clinical case reports or other scientific literature that you mention?

You're right that it's just really difficult to rely on anyone's opinion in this area.

Thanks for the clarification. I think that the point of this particular thread is to share some positive and informative experiences with health professionals. I know that written communication doesn't always work so well, and some things can come across in a negative way when they're meant to be neutral. I, for one, was happy to find this thread, for it offers some light.

Gah, thread discouraging. Have year long taper still and was told 2 mos after should be stabilized. If 18 mos is the case, might as well just speed taper up. Thought 18 was considered paws, and rare  :'(  :'(

Sigh.

Wave-whoever told you two months? It might be but I wouldn't count on it.  It'll just lead to disappointment.    I tapered for 26 months from 3mg of K and at 12 months off I'm now having more good than bad.  The average heal on bb is 14 months.