Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Reassurances from professionals that we will heal

[mi...]

I think it would make sense, that by intelligently tapering, you are (possibly) healing/upregulating on the the way down, which can minimize damage from excitotoxicity (glutamate)

As I said in the post, nothing is set in stone, I've seen people who used as long as you that have gotten off with less than a scratch, then others who got nailed. When I mentioned my surveying, I am taking into account those that I see who are protracted (beyond 2 years) The vast majority of them have used for 5+ years, or used very high doses, ct'ed or kindled or were on a cocktail of psych meds. Of course there are exceptions to everything I've said here, but this is what I've noticed in my now 3 or so years on this forum and others.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mi...]

• [ni...]

• [Lo...]

• [La...]

Congrats on finishing your taper. I think it is likely a good sign that you are doing so well, let's hope you are one of the lucky ones.

You have a keen intellect and an open heart. I think you are doing well... I'm saddened by the misery. It is a real gift that done on this forum can shine so brightly despite this. Thank you for your inputs and best wishes for your happiness.

• 1 year later...

My pdoc told me that at .75 everyday, I won't get addicted. But I dunno if I should trust her😫

Are you serious????  How is that uplifting?  Have you not read every post on this site?  It's not like you are new here so I just don't know what else to say.  ugh

It was in the wrong thread. And no I haven't read every post on here. I'm very aware that we will heal. My regular doctor has said that it is very likely to heal from benzos and that it just takes time.

My response on the part about reading the posts was in reference you even entertaining the idea that .75mg a day might not be addictive.  Don't trust any dr. who says that isn't addictive.  Best of luck. 

Ok, little confusion.. which is common in WD....

back to the point of the thread...

Does anyone have their own story of reassurances from professionals? Would love to hear of them. 

I have a great pdoc who has tapered 300+ patients off benzodiazepines. He has seen and heard it all and one thing he said is for certain: we all eventually heal and he doesn’t believe in permanent damage.

I have a great pdoc who has tapered 300+ patients off benzodiazepines. He has seen and heard it all and one thing he said is for certain: we all eventually heal and he doesn’t believe in permanent damage.

Awesome stuff Benzogirl, thanks for dropping in😊

Omigosh, that's awesome news, benzogirl! Thanks so much for sharing that info.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OMG - so glad you "bumped" this!

I've never read this thread, but I just read the first 5 pages and am so encouraged! I will read more later.

MY GP validated that she's heard of protracted withdrawals but I am her first. She's referred me to a psyche doc nearby who actually specializes in getting ppl off of benzos (didn't know he even existed!).  I guess just to talk to him as a point of reference and experience.

• 2 weeks later...
For the most part I found this topic to be enlightening and hopeful!  I am lucky to have a young, very benzo savvy neurologist, who supports me and reassures me on a monthly basis, via in person appointments or by phone.  He is angry that doctors are still prescribing these drugs, and he himself will never write a script for them!  He says that younger doctors are learning about the dangers of benzos while in medical school, and that older doctors probably only had a few hours of education on the effects of benzodiazepines.  I spoke with him a few days ago and he said that at ten months and having good windows and a lessening of my symptoms, he expected me to feel at about 80% in another month or two.  My GP has estimated about a year to 14 months.  Whatever it is, I am looking forward to a full recovery :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For the most part I found this topic to be enlightening and hopeful!  I am lucky to have a young, very benzo savvy neurologist, who supports me and reassures me on a monthly basis, via in person appointments or by phone.  He is angry that doctors are still prescribing these drugs, and he himself will never write a script for them!  He says that younger doctors are learning about the dangers of benzos while in medical school, and that older doctors probably only had a few hours of education on the effects of benzodiazepines.  I spoke with him a few days ago and he said that at ten months and having good windows and a lessening of my symptoms, he expected me to feel at about 80% in another month or two.  My GP has estimated about a year to 14 months.  Whatever it is, I am looking forward to a full recovery :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gardenguru,

Thank you for posting this. It really brings a ray of light and hope to know that not all healthcare practitioners turn their heads the other way.

A big part of this battle is getting people (friends, family, practioners) to be understanding & believe our suffering vs devaluing it. It can lead to stress, stress we don't need in the type of injury we have. Choosing the path of least stress helps healing.

I go through phases where I'm mad at my GP who prescribed Ativan to me, then to where I just forget about it because it just is not worth it. When I saw his "little side kick" nurse practioner with my complaints of tinnitus, severe insomnia, and debilitating vertigo she missed that those were tolerance symptoms and she actually told me to increase the Ativan. I'm so glad that I did not do that. I actually have not seen my GP nor the nurse practitioner since the month I quit the benzo, and I probably never will again.

Sometimes I envision, when I'm fully healed, me going in there to educate them on benzos, but if I were to do that there's a good chance I will get snubbed by them anyway and that will only infuriate me. So, why bother? Being infuriated only brings upon stress and I don't need that. I've suffered enough. We all have.

I will someday need a new GP. I think I'm going to take my time "interview" some doctors with appointments when covid wanes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my Integrative PCP,  my Psychiatrist, my long time Rheumatologist and my Holistic therapist all assure me that I will have a successful taper.  Each of them have a track record that indicates this.  All four are experienced.  While I was low dose I was on Xanax for a number of years.  I am tapering down from 1mg daily. Today is my 33rd day.  They have me on a schedule that tapers .125mg every two weeks. I am near the middle of my third taper currently at .625.  Nothing is set in stone.  I will take it as it comes.

My symptoms are difficult.  I, also suffer depression and variety of painful autoimmune issues.

I am practiced at acceptance and letting time pass.

Best to everyone,

Rcristal

I have had my Integrative PCP,  my Psychiatrist, my long time Rheumatologist and my Holistic therapist all assure me that I will have a successful taper.  Each of them have a track record that indicates this.  All four are experienced.  While I was low dose I was on Xanax for a number of years.  I am tapering down from 1mg daily. Today is my 33rd day.  They have me on a schedule that tapers .125mg every two weeks. I am near the middle of my third taper currently at .625.  Nothing is set in stone.  I will take it as it comes.

My symptoms are difficult.  I, also suffer depression and variety of painful autoimmune issues.

I am practiced at acceptance and letting time pass.

Best to everyone,

Rcristal

Thank you for sharing.

Glad to hear that you're getting good support.

"Letting Time Pass" ..... I love this.