Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Reassurances from professionals that we will heal

[mi...]

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mi...]

• [ni...]

• [Lo...]

• [La...]

I clicked on this thread because it seemed really encouraging. Then, I saw that it had 26 pages and was like "Wow!" I continued to read, but like everything on this website, the posts stopped answering the thread question and began going in different directions. There are even pages of people insisting that not everyone heals. Why? Why do this? You could have put that negativity anywhere on this site; Lord knows it's everywhere on this site. What was the point of coming on this thread just to prove your point, or to argue with the OP asking whether we should trust these professionals? I would have much rather had this thread only be 2 pages if it was answering the question rather than 26 which turned negative and even went into different directions. After the first page, I was so encouraged and content while trying to just pull through this migraine that will not go away and getting prepared for work tomorrow. Now I am scared that I am destined like this forever. If someone told me I would heal definitely in 2 years, I would be ecstatic. I was the fool who put myself on these drugs and I do not mind putting the time in to heal if it meant total healing. Literally only the first 2 pages answer the thread question. This website would be more beneficial if people would not reply to threads to either contradict them or to get off topic of the thread question. But seriously, why? Take your negativity elsewhere.

Wow icy I haven’t read all the pages. Just ignore it honey. I do x

We all heal, I believe baylissa. I’ve joined her site and it’s super positive every time I feel down I listen to one of her webinars. I always feel better afterwards x

• 3 weeks later...

I clicked on this thread because it seemed really encouraging. Then, I saw that it had 26 pages and was like "Wow!" I continued to read, but like everything on this website, the posts stopped answering the thread question and began going in different directions. There are even pages of people insisting that not everyone heals. Why? Why do this? You could have put that negativity anywhere on this site; Lord knows it's everywhere on this site. What was the point of coming on this thread just to prove your point, or to argue with the OP asking whether we should trust these professionals? I would have much rather had this thread only be 2 pages if it was answering the question rather than 26 which turned negative and even went into different directions. After the first page, I was so encouraged and content while trying to just pull through this migraine that will not go away and getting prepared for work tomorrow. Now I am scared that I am destined like this forever. If someone told me I would heal definitely in 2 years, I would be ecstatic. I was the fool who put myself on these drugs and I do not mind putting the time in to heal if it meant total healing. Literally only the first 2 pages answer the thread question. This website would be more beneficial if people would not reply to threads to either contradict them or to get off topic of the thread question. But seriously, why? Take your negativity elsewhere.

Take our negativity elsewhere? You mean the truth?? Ok

That was not what the poster was asking for. They asked for those to only reply with positivity. You're just replying to be an asshole.

Hey guys.

I want to step in and remind us all to stay civil. We can dispute ideas, but let's do it in a positive way.

A positive discussion will do all of us well, and we can go over merits as well as elements that we don't find consistent with the premise, an unproven point, etc.  As to some people never healing, I don't think that belongs in this thread, but will leave it for now. In future, statements like this should only be posted if there is sound medical documentation to support it. Even then, this is not the forum for it.

Please keep that in mind.

No opinion is ever going to be perfect.

So, lets not fight about it. I want to shut down the tone now before it escalates.

Please, talk about the  info as if we are all united in our purpose (which we are.)

Respect for each other is something vital to retain mutual support and exchange of ideas. How about we commit to that?

Thank you everyone.

Ah yes, I knew that a moderator would only interfere after I used an ugly word. The issue is not about using articles that are reliable sources. The issue is that the original poster asked, "I thought I would start a thread where everyone that has had a professional reassure them about the withdrawal syndrome...so sharing some positives may help those who need to hear that we all heal...I hope others will chime in with other positives they have heard from professionals."  The poster asked for positive reassurance that we all heal; they were not asking "Do we all heal?" As an adult, I only click on topics that I know I feel comfortable reading and at the time I needed some reassurance. Other adults then took it upon themselves to ignore the post's purpose and just chime in with evidence of why we DO NOT all heal. Too many times people on this site come into positive threads to just say that we do not heal. As for it being the "truth;" did anyone ask for the truth? No, the poster asked for reassurance. I am tired of the excuse being that when in withdrawal we all say things we do not mean or that we behave in ways we normally wouldn't. Regardless, we're adults and most of us have to continue to function in the world, so this is a poor excuse to be given continually to adults who act like they either can't read, or just do not flat out care for their intrusion. Also, my original response is pretty old, what was the purpose of reviving an already soiled thread with MORE negativity? I realize that calling him an asshole was childish, but I am sick of seeing buddies like him come on in with their two cents like a child will do in a conversation that does not involve them, and then everyone else tip toe around the real problem.

As a moderator, feel free to delete or block my account. I am tired of this website anyways and have learned to continue trucking along without have benzo withdrawal constantly on my mind.

I had to rewrite my post, I misunderstood the issue. You might look back on it and see the change.

I never called you out for using a derogatory word, and that is not why I stepped in.

We have no intention of blocking or deleting your account. We will put you on post-mod if you violate the TOS.

We are on your side and want to support you as much as anyone else.

I am asking for civility, not fighting.

That is all.

BTW,  Shayna essentially nailed how to react and avoid pointless arguing.

Icy, I was running out the door to work, and did not give you the full response I wanted to. I was not speaking to you alone, or you specifically. Another poster got into sassy mode, which was inappropriate. You lost your temper, it happens. That did not concern  me. I found your initial post about the negativity quite valid, and was speaking to how from that post, the tone started to change to arguing.

My intent is that those of you who are not posting appropriately change your course of communication. As a mod, I believe you all are capable of becoming civil, even apologizing.  I would prefer everyone do that. I am really not interested in stepping in and editing posts when all of you are quite capable of doing that yourselves.

Icy, I was running out the door to work, and did not give you the full response I wanted to. I was not speaking to you alone, or you specifically. Another poster got into sassy mode, which was inappropriate. You lost your temper, it happens. That did not concern  me. I found your initial post about the negativity quite valid, and was speaking to how from that post, the tone started to change to arguing.

My intent is that those of you who are not posting appropriately change your course of communication. As a mod, I believe you all are capable of becoming civil, even apologizing.  I would prefer everyone do that. I am really not interested in stepping in and editing posts when all of you are quite capable of doing that yourselves.

I understand. My comment about blocking me was not said to offend the mods; I think you guys are doing a great job. I said that not out of anger but out of realization that after a certain amount of months of withdrawal, it is best to leave these website behind. I also am just annoyed with people hijacking threads to announce, "you'll never heal!" or "Life sucks so much, expect it to get worse!"

Thank you though for your help.

Wow, I read the first few pages of this thread, found it very encouraging, then realized it was from a long time ago and jumped to the end to find these last few pages.  I wish we could take back the original purpose.  I would have loved to hear the positivity.  Oh well.... :(

I’m writing this as I feel sheer & utter panic.  I went to a GP I saw years & years prior to going on Benzo’s.  She says that everyone heals, everyone is different with time frame but she says that everyone does indeed heal. 

Sometimes I find it hard to remember this but I have to cling on to it as tight as I can,

You will. Hang on to that. It may take a very long time, and many of us still get symptoms far into recovery if something triggers us (Like taking a benzo).  NO, it does not feel like we will ever get out of the fire when we are in the midst of it. But the fire will gradually burn out of fuel, and be gone. We will be well.

Every credible person I have read, listened to, and vetted all declare we heal, period. This includes Heather Ashton, Claire Weeks, Baylisa who has a private web page https://baylissa.com/

There is a lot of fear mongering on here. Please, ignore it. IGNORE IT.Move on to a positive post.

We heal from the addiction, but we still have the disorder(s) that got us here. That is not the same as not healing. Also, live clean, don't indulge in substances known to trigger a relapse. (alcohol for example.) And a relapse is just a relapse, it does not mean you are not healed.

I am very dependent on Claire Weeks to keep me going. She is my first choice for an encouraging, passionate , wise, uplifting lecture on all kinds of anxiety. Every one of these ladies was diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder. Baylissa was on Benzo's.

YOU WILL HEAL.

Follow the ones with medical degrees, experience and compassion, 3 of whom I included because I think they do the most good. They also want to calm us down, and encourage us.

Going to start you on Claire Weeks:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-h2b3GGv7jxx_EBIUW8Vg

She will teach you how to cope with what you are going through RIGHT NOW, and is magnificent.

Much of our healing is our practice of desensitizing ourselves to it.  It works. Even in acute, we do not have to let the pain wipe us out. We do have within our reach  wise and caring practitioners that provide both short and long term relief from the pain.

Case in point. I broke my foot this morning and went to the market in withdraw in a cumbersome boot. (I am in withdraw most of the time, I have learned to go do what I want anyway. I devoted myself to practice Claire Weeks simple steps everyday, and I am now functional and can do what I want, even in never ending withdraw. I am there. You can be too.) (NO pain meds, I wont take them.). It was physically hard and painful dragging myself around. I started to have a panic attack. I stopped, took some deep breaths, said, it's fine, I can do this. And I did. I did not run out of the store, I did not stop shopping, I did not even break a sweat. That is due to listening to Claire Weeks and practicing her method of acceptance.

My remedy is not in the medication, it will never give us what we need, but in positive legitimate professionals and my own multi varied coping tools.

When the waves come. relax, and accept, don't fight, encourage them to do their worst. It pays off for now while your in withdraw, and later, when your healed and have an episode.

You will heal.

That was not what the poster was asking for. They asked for those to only reply with positivity. You're just replying to be an asshole.

Well if speaking the truth makes me an asshole so be it, there is a minority that are 5 - 10+ years out still fighting to get there life back and should be supported not dis-credited.

Everybody improves over time but not everyone heals, all you are doing by discrediting the long termers is backing big pharma claims that benzos dont cause long term damage and letting them continue putting profits over peoples lives.

Nice work  :thumbsup:

I think the point icy was trying to make us sometimes positive threads need to stay positive. We are all suffering but if we can’t rely on certain threads to remain positive then where is safe to visit on this forum? For every 10 threads that are scary and very sad there might be one or 2 that aren’t. And I feel beyond sad that people are that protracted, but even they need hope and positivity.

Well said Shay, I agree.

I thought there was a special section of this forum specifically to address protracted cases.  I'm hoping this is a minute percentage of us, but I do not go there because it doesn't yet apply to me, nor would I wish to be exposed to everything that is said there at this early point in my journey.  Can't the protracted discussions stay there for the mental benefit of those of us under two years out?

I think the point icy was trying to make us sometimes positive threads need to stay positive. We are all suffering but if we can’t rely on certain threads to remain positive then where is safe to visit on this forum? For every 10 threads that are scary and very sad there might be one or 2 that aren’t. And I feel beyond sad that people are that protracted, but even they need hope and positivity.

Very well put.

I'm looking forward to this thread becoming a force for good again, and I'll make the promise that the team will be monitoring it closely from now on to make sure it stays that way.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to get it back on track and to those interjecting negative comments, start a new thread, don't sully this one.

Why you want to come in here and argue with people posting about what their medical providers have told them, or their own experience, seems like your determined to discredit the thread. No idea why it's important to you to act in this way.

If you want to talk about people not healing, or taking a very long time to heal, we have threads for that. Your issues belong in the protracted thread. If you need support, that's where to find it. If you don't like this thread, for whatever reason, your continued posting is just making you look bitter. It's time for you to post in the threads pertinent to your  belief that not everyone heals.

This thread is to encourage us based on what professionals have said about healing that gives us hope we will heal.

Please stop. We get it. You made your point.

You will. Hang on to that. It may take a very long time, and many of us still get symptoms far into recovery if something triggers us (Like taking a benzo).  NO, it does not feel like we will ever get out of the fire when we are in the midst of it. But the fire will gradually burn out of fuel, and be gone. We will be well.

Every credible person I have read, listened to, and vetted all declare we heal, period. This includes Heather Ashton, Claire Weeks, Baylisa who has a private web page https://baylissa.com/

There is a lot of fear mongering on here. Please, ignore it. IGNORE IT.Move on to a positive post.

We heal from the addiction, but we still have the disorder(s) that got us here. That is not the same as not healing. Also, live clean, don't indulge in substances known to trigger a relapse. (alcohol for example.) And a relapse is just a relapse, it does not mean you are not healed.

I am very dependent on Claire Weeks to keep me going. She is my first choice for an encouraging, passionate , wise, uplifting lecture on all kinds of anxiety. Every one of these ladies was diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder. Baylissa was on Benzo's.

YOU WILL HEAL.

Follow the ones with medical degrees, experience and compassion, 3 of whom I included because I think they do the most good. They also want to calm us down, and encourage us.

Going to start you on Claire Weeks:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-h2b3GGv7jxx_EBIUW8Vg

She will teach you how to cope with what you are going through RIGHT NOW, and is magnificent.

Much of our healing is our practice of desensitizing ourselves to it.  It works. Even in acute, we do not have to let the pain wipe us out. We do have within our reach  wise and caring practitioners that provide both short and long term relief from the pain.

Case in point. I broke my foot this morning and went to the market in withdraw in a cumbersome boot. (I am in withdraw most of the time, I have learned to go do what I want anyway. I devoted myself to practice Claire Weeks simple steps everyday, and I am now functional and can do what I want, even in never ending withdraw. I am there. You can be too.) (NO pain meds, I wont take them.). It was physically hard and painful dragging myself around. I started to have a panic attack. I stopped, took some deep breaths, said, it's fine, I can do this. And I did. I did not run out of the store, I did not stop shopping, I did not even break a sweat. That is due to listening to Claire Weeks and practicing her method of acceptance.

My remedy is not in the medication, it will never give us what we need, but in positive legitimate professionals and my own multi varied coping tools.

When the waves come. relax, and accept, don't fight, encourage them to do their worst. It pays off for now while your in withdraw, and later, when your healed and have an episode.

You will heal.

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate your help. I hope you are doing ok & having a good day.

I'm looking forward to this thread becoming a force for good again, and I'll make the promise that the team will be monitoring it closely from now on to make sure it stays that way.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to get it back on track and to those interjecting negative comments, start a new thread, don't sully this one.

Thanku Pam x and lockie I wish u healing. U certainly deserve it. X

Oh that’s a nice thing to say x Thanku baddove x I don’t know about the part that I want u to be better than u are? U are better  :smitten:, ur fighting to keep these threads positive, that’s a wonderful thing to try and do for us all  :)

I just really want these threads for us, we can’t be scared all the time. Besides it’s really bad for the cns  :laugh:

I hope u are feeling well today baddove x lots of love to you xx

Lockie, we all know not everyone heals, but most people do. We don't need reminding.

--- This is quite a statement, especially coming from a moderator. I realize your reply is to Lockie, but still. If I was to be in a wave today I would be quite disturbed by this. I just flat out don't believe that people don't heal. A very few may take years, but even they get better. They're not in acute for years. Maybe some still have issues perhaps because they're on another psychotropic med or a neuroleptic, or some other supplement or substance that's hampering their healing.

Of course it's not always like that. We have some who posted on this forum recently that they are doing well at 4 months and another at 12.

I've been at this 22 months med free, and I've come a very long way. Everyone heals. Be it 5 years or 10 years for some, it's rare but it happens.

This board went south as we can see, but it's still a good board.

My cardiologist has patiently sat and listened to my situation on 3 different office visits now. He said: "That's awful. You went to get help and instead things were made worse. (by benzos & Reglan in my case.) He was empathetic and listened and believes me.

So, let me just throw in a little positivity fwiw.

For 30+ years I was prescribed benzodiazepines, the first 20 for sleep. I took them on and off, never tapering. The last ten of those years I took Xanax four times a day and that was not something I could stop taking when I finally tried. So I began to taper. By the end of my taper I had a huge horrible mess of symptoms, mental, emotional and physical.

It took me 18 months to finally see improvement, another year or two of on and off symptoms but I was becoming somewhat functional again.

I’m now almost 9 years off.  I have no symptoms. I’m 70 years old and spent the day tearing paneling out of my brother’s new cabin after saying good-bye this morning to a houseguest who’d been here four days. I’m on a school board, I’m on a corporate board. My life is full, it is fulfilling, it is normal. It is actually better than normal and I have no complaints.

I can contribute to this thread because I still am on site. I can tell you I’ve seen countless people come here in desperation and pain, and seen them get through it and go back to their lives. Some write a success story, most do not.  Tens of thousands of people have been here and are gone now because they are well again.

Try not to zero in on not healing.  It won’t help.  Zero in on accepting the process.  I won’t tell you to look to the future because I know you can’t conceive of ‘future’ right now.  I couldn’t either when I was where you are now but I always believed I would get better.

Don’t let anyone take that away from you.  Believe you will get better, believe that you will heal.

:smitten: