Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

LadyD such progress!  I am so happy for you!! Yes those random pains are such nasty reminders of the drug...Do you notice with these random pains that they start and then slowly build to a crescendo and then moderate a bit before they finally go away?  This is what happens for me every time.  I couldn't help make the connection with something I heard on the Curable app, that pain is an emotion too.  And I have read so many books which tell us to let our emotions pass through us like energy and then they will pass.  So that's what I do.  There's no way to control it, so we must practice acceptance.

My morning yuck this am was very intense...I almost felt like when I was still on the drug and depressed.  It did eventually pass but I'm very off today.  My daughter is coming to visit so I'm looking forward to that distraction.  I think I've been overdoing things and pushing myself.  Always the same trap for me.

Shay I hope you are getting some zzzzzz's (how ironic is that?  Just noticed that connection  :crazy:)

Kachina, how are you doing after the taper?

Jerry - You are rocking it.  You sound very stable in your Sx's - very happy for you!

Becks - I wish you and everyone else here a fgood, sunny and uplifting WE!

Cheers!

Thanks WorriedDad. 

I made the decision yesterday to start tapering off of ambien after 21 years. Just joined benzo buddies out of desperation for wanting a different life.    I am only now realizing that my daily evening anxiety, shaking, and pain are due to withdrawals  from ambien on daily basis.  Over the past 5 years especially, the nightly anxiety, shaking, and muscle spasm pain have gradually gotten worse. My hope is that I can taper off ambien successfully. Reading stories of how you and others have done it brings strength and hope.

I do have a big fear I will not learn to sleep. I am starting this month to see a cognitive behavioral therapist as part of my learning new behavior as I taper.   

Interdose withdrawal; never even heard of this until I got on benzo buddies.

Every evening around 6 pm, my ears start ringing followed by anxiety, pain in leg, hands start shaking. All this and every evening and just associated with getting older.

My experience will tell, but really hope most of this from the nightly ambien of 15 to 20 mg of use for 21 years. Right now, its hard to imagine a night with out ambien. very grateful for this site and reading everybodies post.

The is the 2nd day of what I hope is a life changing moment for me.

Twbd1ila

Thanks WorriedDad. 

I made the decision yesterday to start tapering off of ambien after 21 years. Just joined benzo buddies out of desperation for wanting a different life.    I am only now realizing that my daily evening anxiety, shaking, and pain are due to withdrawals  from ambien on daily basis.  Over the past 5 years especially, the nightly anxiety, shaking, and muscle spasm pain have gradually gotten worse. My hope is that I can taper off ambien successfully. Reading stories of how you and others have done it brings strength and hope.

I do have a big fear I will not learn to sleep. I am starting this month to see a cognitive behavioral therapist as part of my learning new behavior as I taper. 

Ambien is a nightmare, the interdose is awful, I used to watch the clock waiting for my dose time to arrive.  It was such a ridiculous way to live, I'd take the drug to knock me out but after awhile it wasn't enough so when I'd wake up I'd take more.  I'd wake up and feel okay but as the day wore on I felt worse and worse waiting for bedtime and relief.  I was miserable every waking moment so I could get some drugged sleep which wasn't satisfying or restorative.

I finally stopped the Ambien and learned how to sleep on my own and my days and nights are wonderful, you're going to love the difference being drug free makes in your life.

Edit: Corrected spelling

Welcome Twbd1ila!  You are in the right place for this journey to your new best life.  I never realized that my chronic pain was due to inter-dose withdrawal either.  Lived with it for 18 horrible months until my Dr suggested I get off the Ambien.  Just like Pamster I woke up and took more never realizing what a horror it was causing.  I did a relatively fast taper off from 10mg in 5 weeks.  I can't say whether that was too fast or not, it's just that I actually felt better the lower I got wrt the anxiety.  I'd have to look back in my journal but the insomnia was never a major issue for me.  The most important thing is to accept that you'll have some sleepless hours/nights and to have a plan for how you'll handle this.  It's really good that you are going to do CBT.

Good Luck to you and we are here for you!

Thanks WorriedDad. 

Welcome.  Sorry you are here but also glad you are finding a way off ambien.  There is no rush to taper and it is likely you'll have insomnia for awhile but sleep returns.  Practice sleep hygiene as best you can.

As far as CBT goes -- do not be disappointed if it doesn't work.  You'll hear that a lot on here.  Tapering and withdrawal is an uncomfortable experience that just takes time and often conventional CBT won't work while you are experiencing physical symptoms. Life issues, etc, just have to be tabled until you get through your taper.

I always wondered what happened to Worried Dad who started this thread which was so important to me for so many months.  Love to all my z-buddies.  Hang in there.  It gets better!

WBB

Welcome to the new member that posted TWB? As Deanna and Pam said this is the right place to get support for Ambien withdrawal/taper. Glad to have you and please feel free to ask questions or make comments.

Deanna yes my symptoms seem to do as you described. They have a wave pattern to them: starting mild then reaching a peak then dying off. Like climbing a hill. LOL also do you experience itching fingers or feet at night? I've read this is kinda unique to Z drugs especially Ambien users. It's so annoying when I'm almost asleep and it starts.

Hope everyone else is doing well and having a nice day. It's Sunday here. I'm having family time and watching movies. Yes I'm sitting up during an entire movie! Woo hooo!!!! This was a LONG time waiting to do it his again. I'm so happy.

Welcome Twbd! Glad you're here! A new Ambien user!!! Yay! Me too, +/- 20 years on this poison. I'm still a bit confused about interdose w/d symptoms but starting to catch on a little. OMG was I SCARED to start this journey but, look at me now! Down to 4.5mg from 10mg since end of September.

I look forward to hearing your plan ... and how it's going! Those 6pm symptoms sound very rough. I have a lot of pain.

I started my taper by building a bedtime routine geared to calm me down ahead of bedtime. Not always hard to stick to ... but it helps for getting to sleep ... I gotta get off the internet and pull my energy back to the present moment in my home in a quiet, deep breathing way so I don't get overstimulated. I take a hot bath and read or write or sing or stretch ... put the house to bed way ahead of me going to bed. If not the lower dose of ambien doesn't make me sleep.

Pain is not our friend ... Shay, sorry you're hurting, no sleep turns up the volume. You do so much, facing the day! Dee, you too ...  Hope you had a great visit with your daughter and thanks for your wise reminder to not overdo it.. I need that, it isn't worth the price and I just started feeling better and my thought is I should get a ton of stuff done. But, instead, I'm cooking some food and chillaxing!

Lady, celebrating with you!!! My GOSH you have patience!!!! Happy to hear you're doing so well.

Pamster nice to see you and others here.

Kachina

TWD do you have a taper plan yet? If you need help please let me know as well as others on here. Kachina has 20 plus years on Ambien as well. She's doing great tapering. And following a sleep routine while you taper will help very much with your sleep. This was the key to how I put myself to sleep every night. I also shared this with Kachina. You do the basic CBT-I ( cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia) but personally cater it to your liking. For example what works best for you.

To all other Team Z buddies, how's your day? How's your tapers going? Any plans for spring? Trips for summer?

I'm starting my artwork again after a long year waiting to feel better. I'm so excited to do this again. Thx Kachina for the love. I admire your positivity in going through this. You're a brave lady for facing your fears and pushing through the pains you have.

Deanna are you feeling better? Pain lessened any?

Jerry how's the music coming along and your taper?

Shay I miss you but I know you're having a tough wave right now. Hang in there. I can't wait to see you return. Love and hugs! You're truly a survivor.

Becks I hope you're feeling ok today. Are you planting any flowers this spring?

And whoever I missed here's a hug  :hug:

Wow, what a great group;

Got tears and laughing because its so nice to hear from people that have actually been where I am.  I do think all day about that moment of taking my ambien; it is so messed up. For years, I planned my whole evening around making sure my stomach is empty at night to increase the ambien. Will stop here. Thanks for the posts, experience, strength, and hope.

Last night, I spent 30 minutes planning my ambien taper for the next 30 days.

week 1: stabilize to 15 mg (in past, took 15 to 25 mg)

week 2: 12.5

week 3 10

week 4 my hope is is 5, but will be happy with 7.5  Feels like a long way to zero, but one night at a time I want my evenings back.

I am tired of worrying about getting my next prescription or running out before I can get prescription.

Life is an adventure and this community is amazing; been looking for an ambien support group for months

"Dreaming" of the night I dont feel enslaved to this one tiny pill.

I don't have a green thumb and can't grow anything.  I tried to years ago but nothing would grow.  I have no plants or flowers either inside or outside.  I haven't seen or smelled a flower in years.  I'm in hell, physically and mentally.  Too much stress and too many problems all the time.

TWD, sounds like to have a solid plan.  I wish you great strength and fortitude in the execution phase.  I'm glad you are here to share your journey with us.  I have found this forum to be a great source of camaraderie that I can find no where else.  Even my family who loves me unconditionally just can't understand what we go through here.

Becks it sounds as if you are stuck in a bad place, and I'm so sorry.  Do you have anyone at all who could help you leave the house and maybe sit in the park on a sunny day to break up your routine?  Just one moment like that could change your perspective at least for a short time and it's a step in the right direction.  Spring is a time for rebirth, and I believe anything is possible.  Have you ever read Dr. Andrew Weill's book "Spontaneous Healing" ?  It is a bit older published 25 years ago but very inspirational with case studies which helps to open our minds beyond what is held in Western Medicine.  Spring is a perfect time to learn something new!

Beck, during this hard time, it has helped me to listen to music or even better; go outside and listen to music.

To break the moment even for a minutes helps me get through this crazy life.

Deanna and T, I just don't want to go anywhere.  It's like a person with the flu who doesn't want to go anywhere.  I've been feeling this way for a very long time.  I have severe head pressure and nausea, etc. nearly 24/7 from all the stress on me all the time.  All the problems and stress I've got in my life have destroyed my brain.  I was diagnosed with Lupus Encephalitis on Jan. 22 and my brain is inflamed and swollen inside my skull and I feel horrible all the time.  The only think that makes me feel better is watching some TV shows at night that might be interesting.  I also listen to music on the TV too and watch some music TV shows on PBS.  I also watch The Voice and Name That Tune sometimes.  I can't vary my routine or I really feel awful.  Everything causes stress for me.

hang in there one moment at a time;

Another thing that has recently helped was to go to holistic doctor about my bodies inflammation. cutting my ambien is one part of the change I'm doing. I never realized that my body was in a constantly inflamed due to food allergies. Got a test for food alergies. It sounds too simplistic. but its one of the changes that has helped me get to this place of being willing to eliminate ambien.

I'm not giving up yet, as I come off ambien, I feel like I need to replace it with something healthy.  :D

This is night 5 for me.  At this moment, I'm reading benzo buddies and doing an online NA meeting at the same time LOL.

Right now I have to believe there is a better way of living. Time will tell; sure there will be ups and downs.

Another thing that has recently helped was to go to holistic doctor about my bodies inflammation. cutting my ambien is one part of the change I'm doing. I never realized that my body was in a constantly inflamed due to food allergies. Got a test for food alergies. It sounds too simplistic. but its one of the changes that has helped me get to this place of being willing to eliminate ambien.

I'm not giving up yet, as I come off ambien, I feel like I need to replace it with something healthy.  :D

This is night 5 for me.  At this moment, I'm reading benzo buddies and doing an online NA meeting at the same time LOL.

Right now I have to believe there is a better way of living. Time will tell; sure there will be ups and downs.

Good for you for taking positive steps to fill your time while you're working on getting Ambien out of your life.  I've chased sleep all of my life, first with alcohol, then with Klonopin and last it was Ambien but when I finally gave all of them up, I no longer chase sleep, it finds me.  You're going to love how deeply you'll be able to sleep without it, its so satisfying and restorative, I can't wait for you to know this too.  :thumbsup:

Deanna and T, I just don't want to go anywhere.  It's like a person with the flu who doesn't want to go anywhere.  I've been feeling this way for a very long time.  I have severe head pressure and nausea, etc. nearly 24/7 from all the stress on me all the time.  All the problems and stress I've got in my life have destroyed my brain.  I was diagnosed with Lupus Encephalitis on Jan. 22 and my brain is inflamed and swollen inside my skull and I feel horrible all the time.  The only think that makes me feel better is watching some TV shows at night that might be interesting.  I also listen to music on the TV too and watch some music TV shows on PBS.  I also watch The Voice and Name That Tune sometimes.  I can't vary my routine or I really feel awful.  Everything causes stress for me.

Becks that sounds incredibly challenging.  Have the Drs suggested a treatment for the brain inflammation?

Becks, I'm happy to read that you do have escape and relief in that escape ... and music! It does sound like a lot of suffering that you're in, sorry about your stress and your brain. I'm glad you are here.  :-* I hope you will keep looking for solutions or at least stay open to them! I have limits too and going out and doing things can be draining, staying home can be restorative. Have you heard of curable health.org? Deanna told me about it and listening to the app has helped me.

Pamster, love hearing your sleep success, thanks.

Deanna, I looked up that book by Dr. Weil and reserved it from my library! It's actually called Spontaneous Happiness, not Healing.

Twbd, right on!!!! Doesn't it feel good?! I am So Happy I've taken the next taper step in my journey and grateful to say I've been sleeping most nights.

We ARE getting ready to plant Spring plants over here at our house!

Hey Kachina!  Andrew Weill must have written both books!  :smitten:  I am so happy you found some help in the Curable app, I definitely still listen to the podcasts and follow their regimen. 

The sun has come out and we are having lovely weather in Virginia this week.  I feel a teeny bit better.  I sense some morphing of symptoms so I hope that is a sign of healing.  Hope everyone is getting some relief of some sort.

Hey Kachina!  Andrew Weill must have written both books!  :smitten:  I am so happy you found some help in the Curable app, I definitely still listen to the podcasts and follow their regimen. 

The sun has come out and we are having lovely weather in Virginia this week.  I feel a teeny bit better.  I sense some morphing of symptoms so I hope that is a sign of healing.  Hope everyone is getting some relief of some sort.

Hurray Deanna. This is great news. I had another big wave yesterday but feeling better today. Not back to baseline but better. I did my first art piece in years! I'm so happy. It turned out beautiful. I'm sad to report that Shay isn't doing well. She's struggling really badly with big waves. I hope she pulls out soon. 

I don't have a green thumb and can't grow anything.  I tried to years ago but nothing would grow.  I have no plants or flowers either inside or outside.  I haven't seen or smelled a flower in years.  I'm in hell, physically and mentally.  Too much stress and too many problems all the time.

I wish I could send you a beautiful piece of my wandering Jew plant. It's huge and gorgeous. Easy to care for. Just water it once a week. Leave near a sunny window. I'm sorry you're still miserable. Wish you feel better.

Good for you for taking positive steps to fill your time while you're working on getting Ambien out of your life.  I've chased sleep all of my life, first with alcohol, then with Klonopin and last it was Ambien but when I finally gave all of them up, I no longer chase sleep, it finds me.  You're going to love how deeply you'll be able to sleep without it, its so satisfying and restorative, I can't wait for you to know this too.  :thumbsup:

I totally agree, Pam. I sleep so much better...naturally.  :thumbsup:

Oh my goodness, Lady and Pam, we need you here ... telling us you sleep well. That's great to read.

Shay, any chance you could try progesterone? Natural health oriented doctors recommend it's use for sleep and it's sold in cream over the counter. I use it in Rx form. I'm so sorry you're suffering.

Deanna, oh!! Silly me, made an assumption ... apologies! That's cool he wrote 2 books like that.

In a lot of pain, got stress and worry going on ... or is it the taper ... or what I ate ... or ... it is my brain. Pain is an emotion they say, created by the brain. So on to something soothing for the evening.

love to all

Kachina  ;):)