Jump to content
Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Music devices, Echo Dot, etc?


[or...]

Recommended Posts

[or...]

I really want an alternative for my bed-side especially as I don't get good reception to any of the main radio stations here.  My internet music has always been the best, but I want a more "music specific" device like maybe an Echo.  I just don't have much experience except downloading music to my phone which doen't have good sound, I mean good enough if I put earbuds in when walking. 

Figured there are plenty of young folks here, I'm 71, that might give me some ideas what to get.  Here's a link to one I found on Amazon, but recommends are most welcome.  Last night I had a bit of race-brain and wished I had a simple device to turn on ;) oregonlady~Denise

Echo Dot 5th Generation on Amazon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[An...]

I have two of these. You can use them as Bluetooth speakers from your smartphone to the echo. Download the Alexa app to your smartphone. Then, You simply connect the echo to your home wifi using the Alexa app. Setup is a breeze. You can then use your phone, play or tune into any internet audio and then transmit it to your echo device for listening. You can also do a lot of other things using the echo by just talking to the device using your voice after you wake it up using a select wake word when it is asleep (idle) and not being used. For example, you could say Echo. The word echo wakes the device. Then, you could say tell me the weather today, what time is it, who was president in 1950, (anything imaginable), etc. basically a google search without having to use your smartphone or computer. I also purchased a blink video doorbell with a sync module and the echo tells me when someone is at the door. The sync module lets you view the video doorbell's camera using your smartphone +  you can talk to the person at the door using the echo by simply saying echo, answer doorbell. (really cool). There are also a ton of other things you can do with this smart speaker.

Here is what I bought.  👇

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B8V1LZ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If you wanted to spend the extra money and wanted video also, you could purchase the Echo Show.. It is basically like the dot with a video screen but the echo dot is great IMO and I did not want to spend any more money than I had to for what I wanted the smart device to do. You will love the DOT IMO.

 

 

image.png

Edited by [An...]
added Amazon product link
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]
9 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I have two of these. You can use them as Bluetooth speakers from your smartphone to the echo. Download the Alexa app to your smartphone. Then, You simply connect the echo to your home wifi using the Alexa app. Setup is a breeze. You can then use your phone, play or tune into any internet audio and then transmit it to your echo device for listening. You can also do a lot of other things using the echo by just talking to the device using your voice after you wake it up using a select wake word when it is asleep (idle) and not being used. For example, you could say Echo. The word echo wakes the device. Then, you could say tell me the weather today, what time is it, who was president in 1950, (anything imaginable), etc. basically a google search without having to use your smartphone or computer. I also purchased a blink video doorbell with a sync module and the echo tells me when someone is at the door. The sync module lets you view the video doorbell's camera using your smartphone +  you can talk to the person at the door using the echo by simply saying echo, answer doorbell. (really cool). There are also a ton of other things you can do with this smart speaker.

Here is what I bought.  👇

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B8V1LZ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If you wanted to spend the extra money and wanted video also, you could purchase the Echo Show.. It is basically like the dot with a video screen but the echo dot is great IMO and I did not want to spend any more money than I had to for what I wanted the smart device to do. You will love the DOT IMO.

image.png

This was just excellent, thank you so much!  I trust your review, but the ones on Amazon sounded way to "canned" like infomercials.  This is the one I looked at (your pic) and I have an excellent Moto One 5G Ace.

Can I set some sort of timer for the Echo to turn off?  That's pretty important to me as the only thing that keeps running all night and doesn't wake me is my Chrome Doze for tinnitus.  Music is good to fall asleep to, but sometimes songs have instruments that disturb me so I just want it for falling asleep (comfy relaxing) ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[An...]
20 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

Can I set some sort of timer for the Echo to turn off?  That's pretty important to me as the only thing that keeps running all night and doesn't wake me is my Chrome Doze for tinnitus.  Music is good to fall asleep to, but sometimes songs have instruments that disturb me so I just want it for falling asleep (comfy relaxing) ;)

Yes, the DOT has a built-in DND (do not disturb) feature. I just took this screenshot off my smartphone from the Alexa App.  You can schedule the device to DND you by selecting a time to turn off and turn back on or simply a time to turn off and you turn back on manually after you awake.

image.thumb.png.c4c07e4b941e3f0e564a09509b09dead.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]

Of course, just like my DND on Android!!  I ordered the Echo @[An...], also, for the first time I got the 4.99 Warranty for 2 years.  Usually I just rely on luck, but for 4.99 what the heck.

In my order receipt (via email) I'm offered to set it up with my info so out-of-the-box it should just work with my wifi etc.  Do you think doing it that way is a good idea?  I can do the setup when it gets here but sounded kind of neat.  I love that it has EERO as I read about that some time ago but didn't need it.

Can't thank you enough for recommending it and I usually have no issues with any of my devices.  Sometimes a "bluetooth" connect is a little slow, but usually reboot whatever device isn't connecting, and then it works ;) I won't get it until 23rd, and I won't be home, but they'll have the package in the office, and they are very reliable about deliveries ;) oregonlady~Denise PS I do already have Amazon Prime account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[An...]
1 minute ago, [[o...] said:

In my order receipt (via email) I'm offered to set it up with my info so out-of-the-box it should just work with my wifi etc.  Do you think doing it that way is a good idea?  I can do the setup when it gets here but sounded kind of neat.  I love that it has EERO as I read about that some time ago but didn't need it.

 

Yes, excellent! Do the setup with your Amazon info. now. That was what I did too. You will not have to do much after you get it but plug and play. Have you already downloaded the Alexa App to your phone? If not, you can do that now so you will be all ready when the device comes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]
Just now, [[A...] said:

Yes, excellent! Do the setup with your Amazon info. now. That was what I did too. You will not have to do much after you get it but plug and play. Have you already downloaded the Alexa App to your phone? If not, you can do that now so you will be all ready when the device comes.

Yes, I did, downloaded the app ;)  I'll go do the setup since that's how you did it!  Can't wait to have my music handy on the less sleep-filled nights ;) OL:balloon:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]

Hi @[An...], I'm having a little trouble getting my Pandora to come through my Echo I just got today.  I'm looking at the app on my phone, and have the ED plugged in and it's showing a Red base.  I tried a command "Alexa, play best country on Pandora" but nothing happened so far. I've messed up somehow, can you help? ;) oregonlady, Denise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[An...]

I am sorry I did not reply sooner. I just saw this. All you need to do Oregon is wake your echo and say connect to bluetooth and have your smartphone on and look for the device to show up and then select connect on your droid phone.

I am using an iPhone, but the process is the same, I would think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]
2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I am sorry I did not reply sooner. I just saw this. All you need to do Oregon is wake your echo and say connect to bluetooth and have your smartphone on and look for the device to show up and then select connect on your droid phone.

I am using an iPhone, but the process is the same, I would think.

Thank you AB but mine must have been a lemon as I had to stay on the phone twice to have CS try to help before they said they'd replace it so I'll send this one back.  I kept ending up with the same message saying somthing like, The Connection to Wifi was dropped, blah blah blah, I followed to more "factory resets" still would not connect to my Wifi.  Had to be the Echo as all my devices never drop Wifi, and were easy and fast to connect.

Denise, PS I'll let you know how I do with another one ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[An...]
On 25/04/2024 at 19:08, [[o...] said:

Thank you AB but mine must have been a lemon as I had to stay on the phone twice to have CS try to help before they said they'd replace it so I'll send this one back.  I kept ending up with the same message saying somthing like, The Connection to Wifi was dropped, blah blah blah, I followed to more "factory resets" still would not connect to my Wifi.  Had to be the Echo as all my devices never drop Wifi, and were easy and fast to connect.

Denise, PS I'll let you know how I do with another one ;)

Ok, let me know after you get the replacement device.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]

Hi AB,

I will try the same routine with the new one first, no need to bug you with it because I know the setup by heart now ;)  If it doesn't work, I'm to call Meagan at Amazon, have a straight-to-her email.  Let her do her job first if there is anything else to try.  Did test all my router and modem, and none of my devices fail to work so it was the Echo.

I will let you know though, and so appreciate your willingness to help me, and I know your directions were perfection according to what Amazon's written directions say online ;)  OL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Bl...]

Can I ask, @[An...] is the sound from the Echo device heavy with bass? I briefly used an applePod speaker, but there was no way to control either the bass/or treble. Was greatly disappointed, since the bass was overwhelming.

Also, is it possible to listen to music files that have been created in a Youtube account? For example, can Echo pair with my iPhone....Youtube App? When using the applePod I must have had AppleMusic which I no longer subscribe to. Much appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]
Posted (edited)

Yes, imo, and I like more treble, but I only tried one a couple or so years ago, but trying again just to see how it goes.  I like to hear books read, and not the deep sounding bass the kids seem to like, LOL!!

 

Been so busy with new puppy, can hardly find time to get on here, lol!  I don't know the answers yet myself to my youtube etc. but you can stick around and learn with me ;) maybe even find another device that might work better.  I do know you can get a bluetooth speaker for echo, pretty sure.  And maybe get one with treble option less bass?? ;) Denise

Edited by [or...]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Bl...]

Thank you @[or...]! I just might give the Echo a try. It's basically being given away right now...$27.99. I'm just unsure...but...no time to waist, since the deal will disappear in a day no doubt. lol

How nice to have a puppy. A lot of company...and will keep you active.:laugh:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]
1 minute ago, [[B...] said:

Thank you @[or...]! I just might give the Echo a try. It's basically being given away right now...$27.99. I'm just unsure...but...no time to waist, since the deal will disappear in a day no doubt. lol

How nice to have a puppy. A lot of company...and will keep you active.:laugh:

she is a busy girl but I first trained her to her crate, well, she was easy to potty train, that was actually first.  But I get breaks when I need them as she loves her crate, but also loves to play and wear me out long before she is tired, LOL!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Bl...]

Oh..I see her @[or...]. If it's her, she sure is a cutie. Imagine all the fun exercise you get from having her. That's what it is all about, in part. Not to mention the emotional support. What's her name? It's well worth your having her...a win, win situation. But I know that given what you're dealing with...any animal companion will require more than the average effort. 

If only people in general understood what we have/are dealing with in this state of recovery. It's SO hard to accept that fact,j for me(people's lack of understanding or trying to even grasp it). I try to put myself in their shoes...I can see not understanding/grasping benzo w/d. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]

I'm going over to Health Matters board and write about "Raising Annie" to tell a little of the story as it happens :balloon: I just got her exactly 7 days ago ;)

My Dot is supposed to be here today so we'll see how it works, hopefully it will so I can try it out.  As the article said, I should I can change the treble/bass balance but if it's too much bass, I'll have to get something else going on for a small device to hear music.  Maybe a super good radio ;) oregonlady~Denise PS so far I haven't seen anything show up on here like an IPOD for example, might have to spend way more for one of those, and no clue at all how they work:heybabe::idiot:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Bl...]

I see...the Dot looks like a dot😁

If the bass can't be adjusted and/or the bass is unreasonably  heavy then I'll have to live without one of these devices....unless the right one pops into my life. Apple already took me for way too much with their dud device...couldn't enjoy the music. I believe I listened to it the day I bought it, but the store was too noisy with people talking to catch this issue. I really should have been more careful. Never again🙁 

I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your little buddy, Annie.😊

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[or...]
1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

I see...the Dot looks like a dot😁

If the bass can't be adjusted and/or the bass is unreasonably  heavy then I'll have to live without one of these devices....unless the right one pops into my life. Apple already took me for way too much with their dud device...couldn't enjoy the music. I believe I listened to it the day I bought it, but the store was too noisy with people talking to catch this issue. I really should have been more careful. Never again🙁 

I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your little buddy, Annie.😊

What was the "dud" device so I can avoid it please!! :smitten:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Bl...]

Apple Home-Pod...it was insanely expensive. What a waist...still mad at myself. Oh well. Hopefully, I won't be duped again. 

Sorry if I earlier said it was an I-Pod.....the I-Pod looks like a cell phone?. Goes to show, I am lagging behind in the world of tech devices.

I'm curious how it works out for you @[or...]...sure hope it works. I fall asleep with headphones on that are plugged into my laptop. Puts me to sleep almost every night. Insomnia is what got me here...BB! And listening to something via headphones has been indispensable during taper and recovery, in my falling asleep without feeling like there's no hope in even trying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[An...]
On 28/04/2024 at 11:54, [[B...] said:

Can I ask, @[An...] is the sound from the Echo device heavy with bass? I briefly used an applePod speaker, but there was no way to control either the bass/or treble. Was greatly disappointed, since the bass was overwhelming.

Also, is it possible to listen to music files that have been created in a Youtube account? For example, can Echo pair with my iPhone....Youtube App? When using the applePod I must have had AppleMusic which I no longer subscribe to. Much appreciated!

Let me personally play some music @[Bl...] and use the echo dot as a BT speaker and report back. To be honest, I don't use my echo dot much to play music. I mostly listen to audio podcasts and I usually use my standalone bluetooth speaker for that. I use my echo for other tasks or ask it questions to google when I don't feel like using my laptop or iPhone bc I am lazy.....LOL. I also have a few smart switches and I use the echo dot to turn lights on and off.  I also have a blink video doorbell and the echo dot alerts me when someone is at my door and I can answer the doorbell with the dot and talk to whoever is outside. I use my echo mostly for stuff like I just described, but I will play some music to it and reply back to this thread.

 

You said>>>>

Quote

Also, is it possible to listen to music files that have been created in a Youtube account? For example, can Echo pair with my iPhone....Youtube App?

Emoticon holding Yes sign stock vector. Illustration of glad - 293319607

Edited by [An...]
addition
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...