Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Twbd, so cool you're feeling relief and more hopeful as you've started your taper. I experienced that too.

Lady, love all your suggestions, thank you for laying them all out again, so very helpful. I do go through the US states sometimes and I do the caressing my arm to sooth myself. Had a great teddy bear back in the day!

Wow important info on your experience Shayna.

Everyone thanks for reminding me that I detest these drugs. Time to drop down again. I'm scared and holding on tight at my taper level. But I'll be okay, I'll do this. I'll keep doing it.  :thumbsup:

[fa...]

Andros, cool, thanks for the feedback on a cool wet washcloth, lol!!! Sticking with that for now, but it's great to hear how this device helps you ... will keep it in mind.

I can literally feel the machine's effect in 30min. It's like your brain suddenly switches to relaxed mode. It's such a weird feeling, but 15min later I'm out.

Mind you I still have to take either Cannabis, or Remeron to get sleep, but it comes on so much quicker if I add the machine.

I think for regular people that suffer insomnia due to too much worrying, this machine would be awesome. For us, well, we need to heal 100%

Thank you again! I’ll do that. When you say you may have seen this discussion before, do you mean the question of whether 10mg tablets have the same amount, proportionately, of active ingredient as the 5mg tablets? (Not the question about being out of date increasing potency)?...

It was for the out of date question, I didn't notice your other question.  :-[

Andros I think my husband was born with 10 of those embedded in his brain. I swear he's often sound asleep in less than a minute after I turn the light out! Soooo jealous. He grew up sharing a bedroom and says it's like he just pulls the curtains in his brain and everything goes away!

When I wake in the night my thoughts are off and running, so I put my attention on anything and everything below my head to distract myself from what wants to happen in my head. Especially with the taper I get scared I won't go back to sleep, and sometimes I don't, but usually I do and that gives me more confidence.

Hello Team Z. There's good posts going on in here. I'm happy to see the supporting and suggestions to each other. Sorry I haven't been here much. I'm going through a serious personal issue, waves been off & on and our family welcomed my new grand daughter born yesterday.

As far as what Shay said about Z drugs IMO I think they have their own special brutalness because they have a very short half life, designed to impact harder and everyday your body has some kind of withdrawal. As you all know what Zolpidem did to me....completely bedridden for at least 2 years. Not that this will happen to anyone else but it's a huge risk with each pill you take. It's a matter of what type of injury to what areas of the brain according to your unique makeup. I think most of us can say we wished we would have never touched these things. I agree with Shay that even though it's advised that a switch to Valium can be made for tapering off a Z-drug, I don't feel it's a good idea either. But I'm not telling anyone what to do. This is my opinion that the brain is already in a rough state from the Z drug so why introduce it to another drug that's in the same family. There will be withdrawal from the Z-drug AND then the new medication will have withdrawals too. To me, it's a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario. This is why I did a dry taper from the only medication I was on....Zolpidem (Ambien). I decided this after doing my research first. I'm happy I made this decision because I don't want to even think about how much worse shape I'd be in from two medicines.

I couldn't agree more with LadyD regarding the short half life issue of Ambien and interdose withdrawals and the peril of taking on yet another benzo.  It was bad enough I got polydrugged with steroids/gabapentin, etc for my non-existent (wish I knew) disc degeneration.  Made everything worse.  I'm glad I did my quick taper and only from Ambien.

Congrats LadyD on the birth of your grandaughter!!! I can't imagine how lovely that must be to see the promise of new innocent life.  You are a very sage gradmum, and she will learn so much from you.  She is lucky  :smitten:

Deanna you're so very sweet! Thx for your congrats and sharing your thoughts on Z drugs. You've experienced what I'm talking about. Z drugs....They're sneaky little brutal monsters. I'm sorry you were polydrugged. So you know what I mean firsthand. Some other doctor and an ER doctor tried to get me to take diazepam and a few other medications for my Ambien interdose withdrawals. I'm so glad God didn't let me do that!!!! I felt such overwhelming disgust when I thought about trying it. It was unbelievable! I thank him for not letting me try it. My family was annoyed because I wouldn't try them. They saw it as me refusing doctors help. I was terrified of it. That's one of my fears in the early stages that I'm so glad I had. Or else I'd been polydrugged too. I appreciate your congrats on my new grand child. I plan to share all the wisdom of life that I have. Hopefully she will use it as guidance and won't prefer to learn the hard way. I hope you're doing well today. Have you lost any more symptoms? Gotten any new ones?

To everyone else. I'm wishing you well. Hope you're enjoying the Spring. Take advantage of the sunlight if you can stand it. Vitamin D ( from the sun) and walking are great ways to feel better. Don't forget about the pollen. Here it's already bad! All the cars are yellow lol

Love and hugs

[fa...]

Deanna you're so very sweet! Thx for your congrats and sharing your thoughts on Z drugs. You've experienced what I'm talking about. Z drugs....They're sneaky little brutal monsters. I'm sorry you were polydrugged. So you know what I mean firsthand. Some other doctor and an ER doctor tried to get me to take diazepam and a few other medications for my Ambien interdose withdrawals. I'm so glad God didn't let me do that!!!! I felt such overwhelming disgust when I thought about trying it. It was unbelievable! I thank him for not letting me try it. My family was annoyed because I wouldn't try them. They saw it as me refusing doctors help. I was terrified of it. That's one of my fears in the early stages that I'm so glad I had. Or else I'd been polydrugged too. I appreciate your congrats on my new grand child. I plan to share all the wisdom of life that I have. Hopefully she will use it as guidance and won't prefer to learn the hard way. I hope you're doing well today. Have you lost any more symptoms? Gotten any new ones?

To everyone else. I'm wishing you well. Hope you're enjoying the Spring. Take advantage of the sunlight if you can stand it. Vitamin D ( from the sun) and walking are great ways to feel better. Don't forget about the pollen. Here it's already bad! All the cars are yellow lol

Love and hugs

I didn't go the Diazepam route because my GP would not give it to me, and neither did the hospital the couple of times I went to the ER. I could have pushed, but I didn't. Had they given me the script though I would have taken it. I figured I might as well tough it out, the hardest 2 months of my life, bar none, and I tore my arm about a decade ago and needed surgery. A walk in the park compared to the Z-Drug withdrawal. Stupid doctors refused to give me a Benzo because it's addictive, but the Z-Drug I got like it was candy. Such ignoramuses.

Thanks for having my back guys about Valium! We go thru enuf without the “help” of another benzo.

Unfortunately I listened to drs advice. Some of the med doses and types they put me on was terrifying. I’m glad to be alive.

It has showed me, that they really have no idea about most things. It makes me even more hesitant to listen to them in the future. I know after this, I am going to take the best possible care of my body. I’m never going down that road again.

Congrats on ur little gbaby ladyden!!!! Nawwww I love babies!!! I’ll be so glad one day to become a grandma (I’m way too young yet tho. I hope my kids wait til 30)

Ps... I slept 5-6 hrs last night. Only took my tiny .25ml Valium. So so greatful! 

Oh Shayna i am SO HAPPY that you are getting a decent nights sleep!!! After all you've been through you should take great big breaths of relief and feel the hope and promise of tomorrow.  It will only get better and better I am so certain.  Yes we must take uber good care of our bodies.  Treat your body as the temple that it is. 

I am grateful that after getting the JandJ vaccine last Thursday that I had minimal flu like symptoms for 36 hours but now only feel just a bit of remaining fatigue.  Probs WD fatigue with a sprinkle of vaccine fatigue LOL.  I still have my typical nerve pain pattern, but I must say it is fading.  I know it is there but I am able to observe it and stay distracted with my activities.  I also feel that the over stimulation that I get in stores is a bit less, and I even tolerated a 6 hour Easter festivitity with relatives this past Sunday after which I was intensely drained, but it did not induce a wave.  So I feel in my heart that I am making progress and I can taste recovery in the future.  New Sx are vibrations in my shoulders, burning mouth, gum pain and I occasionally have over reactive outbursts to minor stresses with my hubster.  I think sitting in the sun for Vit D is definitely helping.

One thing I am contemplating is trying camomile tea again.  I miss it soooo much in the evening when I unwind from the day,  Any thoughts??

Love and healing to all!

Oh Shayna i am SO HAPPY that you are getting a decent nights sleep!!! After all you've been through you should take great big breaths of relief and feel the hope and promise of tomorrow.  It will only get better and better I am so certain.  Yes we must take uber good care of our bodies.  Treat your body as the temple that it is. 

I am grateful that after getting the JandJ vaccine last Thursday that I had minimal flu like symptoms for 36 hours but now only feel just a bit of remaining fatigue.  Probs WD fatigue with a sprinkle of vaccine fatigue LOL.  I still have my typical nerve pain pattern, but I must say it is fading.  I know it is there but I am able to observe it and stay distracted with my activities.  I also feel that the over stimulation that I get in stores is a bit less, and I even tolerated a 6 hour Easter festivitity with relatives this past Sunday after which I was intensely drained, but it did not induce a wave.  So I feel in my heart that I am making progress and I can taste recovery in the future.  New Sx are vibrations in my shoulders, burning mouth, gum pain and I occasionally have over reactive outbursts to minor stresses with my hubster.  I think sitting in the sun for Vit D is definitely helping.

One thing I am contemplating is trying camomile tea again.  I miss it soooo much in the evening when I unwind from the day,  Any thoughts??

Love and healing to all!

Thanks so much Dee! I actually felt hope this morning while I was walking. It was such a nice feeling!

I’m glad U are feeling ok since ur shot. I have stopped camomile recently. I’m just not taking anything right now. I don’t know what to suggest about tea. Maybe another herbal that is “safe” x I drink tea tho and it has caffeine soo... maybe try a weak cup first? Xxx

[fa...]
Ps... I slept 5-6 hrs last night. Only took my tiny .25ml Valium. So so greatful!

Oh wow!!! I am sooooooooooooooo happy for you!! maybe you're finally getting close to being over this BS.

I sorta knew that moving to Valium was bringing new risks, so I didn't push for it. Ironically, they could have given me Remeron to begin with for my original insomnia, and the sides (at least for me) would have been a walk in the park to deal with.

But hey, once we all heal, this bullshit will be a thing of the past.

Remember, NO alcohol!! I'm abstaining for the next 2 years. THEN maybe I'll risk a cooler here and there. I will miss those Bacardis a little bit, but I rather sleep :)

Oh wow!!! I am sooooooooooooooo happy for you!! maybe you're finally getting close to being over this BS.

I sorta knew that moving to Valium was bringing new risks, so I didn't push for it. Ironically, they could have given me Remeron to begin with for my original insomnia, and the sides (at least for me) would have been a walk in the park to deal with.

But hey, once we all heal, this bullshit will be a thing of the past.

Remember, NO alcohol!! I'm abstaining for the next 2 years. THEN maybe I'll risk a cooler here and there. I will miss those Bacardis a little bit, but I rather sleep :)

Thanku andros! I know it’s pretty excellent but I’m not getting my hopes up. I am walking 2 hours a day so maybe that’s contributing.

Yep there’s so many things out drs could have suggested before Benzos. But oh well, here we are.

Don’t worry I had 1 drink at xmas and had a setback so I’m definitely not doing that again. I would rather sleep any day over a scotch. Xx

Love and healing to all!

Thanks so much Dee! I actually felt hope this morning while I was walking. It was such a nice feeling!

I’m glad U are feeling ok since ur shot. I have stopped camomile recently. I’m just not taking anything right now. I don’t know what to suggest about tea. Maybe another herbal that is “safe” x I drink tea tho and it has caffeine soo... maybe try a weak cup first? Xxx

Yes I decided back in January that I will not take ANYTHING in my body except nutritious food and water.  I even stopped using magnesium in my baths.  I do use lavender aromatherapy which seems ok.  And I feel that really made the difference that my body could get down to the work of healing.  I feel that I've had several months worth of pure healing time so I'm soooo wary of trying anything new.  If I do try it will be very weak...I know that it should be ok at some point.

[fa...]

I started adding caffeine to my morning green shakes about a week ago. I have a powder, and started adding 50mg, and I'm up to 80mg now.

I have to get my body used to it again, since I have 6 months of not drinking a single coffee or pop (except for yesterday when I had 2 large French Vanillas).

Since Oct I've been drinking nothing but pure reverse osmosis filtered water.

Andros1 -- Hi --  It's funny -- I'm working at getting off caffeine.  Everyone is different on their journey.  For me -- I felt like I lived on coffee to survive my post jump fatigue but now its working against me the further out I am in post benzo jump.  It is just time for me to let go of coffee and boy, it is hard.  I even have a jump date for the caffeine and joined a support program.

I have always wanted to know what if felt like to be completely drug and sugar free because I know they effect my sleep.  So I'm hoping I can do it.  WBB

Shay! YAY!!!

Everyone! YAY!!!

Thank you for being here. Wow, I'm so glad I don't drink alcohol in general--why is it so bad during W/D and healing?

Great hearing how everyone takes good care of themselves.

Lady, so wonderful to know you have a sweet bundle of Joy during this time.

I'm still feeling so scared of not sleeping .... rode it out until 2 or 3am 2 nights ago but reading here I want to get on with it and drop down again. Will keep you posted.

Love to all,

Kachina

[fa...]

Andros1 -- Hi --  It's funny -- I'm working at getting off caffeine.  Everyone is different on their journey.  For me -- I felt like I lived on coffee to survive my post jump fatigue but now its working against me the further out I am in post benzo jump.  It is just time for me to let go of coffee and boy, it is hard.  I even have a jump date for the caffeine and joined a support program.

I have always wanted to know what if felt like to be completely drug and sugar free because I know they effect my sleep.  So I'm hoping I can do it.  WBB

Caffeine specifically will mess with your sleep. Caffeine blocks GABA receptors from being activated, and hence you feel more alert, but will find it very hard to fall asleep even if you are normal.

I was never a huge drinker of it, but sure, it helps you wake up in the morning. Because I wanted to heal, I stopped drinking it C/T since Oct. For 4 straight months all I've been drinking is filtered water with my green shakes. About a month ago I started adding some fruit juices to it, and approx 2 week ago I started adding a bit of caffeine to it. Started with around 50mg, and I'm up to 80mg so far.

The reason alcohol messes us up is because it activates GABA receptors (not like coffee that blocks them, but activating them to open). Since benzos and Z-drugs damage the receptors, Alcohol puts salt on the wound, so to speak. So for me, even when I am healed, I'm taking 2 years off from it. Won't be a huge loss.

Way to go Shayna; .25ml Valium is something to be proud of.

I need to hear the successes.

Thanku x u will get there. Keep going

Many have uptick in symptoms when they consume too much sugar and caffeine. This is wise to take a break from them so you can heal more comfortably. You can do it!!!! :thumbsup:

I drink decaf and hazelnut creamer with no problem.

Shay! YAY!!!

Everyone! YAY!!!

Thank you for being here. Wow, I'm so glad I don't drink alcohol in general--why is it so bad during W/D and healing?

Great hearing how everyone takes good care of themselves.

Lady, so wonderful to know you have a sweet bundle of Joy during this time.

I'm still feeling so scared of not sleeping .... rode it out until 2 or 3am 2 nights ago but reading here I want to get on with it and drop down again. Will keep you posted.

Love to all,

Kachina

Kachina it acts on the same receptors in the brain that's already been injured from the medication. This is why when drinking alcohol it causes dizziness, unbalanced, cognition issues, etc.

thx for the congrats! Hope you sleep well and calm your sleeping fears. Please don't let that fear bother you too much. That will cause your sleeping to be worse. Stay calm relaxed and dismiss the fear when it pops up. This is a mental battle that I know you can fight and WIN! Tell yourself....ok if I don't sleep well then that's ok because this is expected temporarily. I'm not going to die from it. My brain is adjusting and this takes time.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for having my back guys about Valium! We go thru enuf without the “help” of another benzo.

Unfortunately I listened to drs advice. Some of the med doses and types they put me on was terrifying. I’m glad to be alive.

It has showed me, that they really have no idea about most things. It makes me even more hesitant to listen to them in the future. I know after this, I am going to take the best possible care of my body. I’m never going down that road again.

Congrats on ur little gbaby ladyden!!!! Nawwww I love babies!!! I’ll be so glad one day to become a grandma (I’m way too young yet tho. I hope my kids wait til 30)

This is super awesome news! Wow I'm happy for u Shay. Yes I'm hesitant of listening to the doctors too.

Hi Everyone, Happy WE!

I haven't been to my doctor since September.  I keep thinking I should update her on how I'm doing, actually provide her with feedback where she can learn and see this mess in other people, but I don't have the energy.  IDK...

Last couple nights I've awoken after a not so nice dream, and feeling a bit of fear again.  Two nights ago it was that I thought I heard noises and my husband was away.  Last night I awoke with the fear that I may have damaged myself with the vaccine shot.  I've been in a bit of a wave, probably doing too much around the house.  I thought that fear stuff was gone.  Alas it is cycling back.  And now getting more frequent headaches, and neck pain back again too.

I know I should walk more.  But afraid it will make things worse.  LadyD, how is your yoga going?  Are you walking outside at all?  You are my model for recovery :-)

Hi Everyone, Happy WE!

I haven't been to my doctor since September.  I keep thinking I should update her on how I'm doing, actually provide her with feedback where she can learn and see this mess in other people, but I don't have the energy.  IDK...

Last couple nights I've awoken after a not so nice dream, and feeling a bit of fear again.  Two nights ago it was that I thought I heard noises and my husband was away.  Last night I awoke with the fear that I may have damaged myself with the vaccine shot.  I've been in a bit of a wave, probably doing too much around the house.  I thought that fear stuff was gone.  Alas it is cycling back.  And now getting more frequent headaches, and neck pain back again too.

I know I should walk more.  But afraid it will make things worse.  LadyD, how is your yoga going?  Are you walking outside at all?  You are my model for recovery :-)

Deanna I'm sorry you're cycling back with symptoms. I assure you this is normal and necessary. This has happened to me as well. The reason for it is to heal that area a little better. But you should be able to notice that unlike last time, the symptoms that are back are less intense. Also they will go away quicker. Please do your best to stay distracted and rest a bit more until they pass. Yes I think you might be overdoing it a bit. I'm still walking outside. I'm also still doing chair yoga but not as often. The walking at a normal pace should not make you worse. The best way to know is to just try it. Go for a short walk and see how it goes. Feel better soon.

I have some great news... I planned on going to meet my new grand daughter on this past Friday but I was in a wave and the baby had an appointment to make sure she was still doing ok. Saturday was better for me but residual wave. So instead of being disappointed I chose to look at this as a blessing to ensure I would be in my best shape. This turned out to be the case! I got dressed got in the car ( not driving) took a 12-15 minute ride to hold the baby. I did very well staying there about an hour and a half. The ride back went well too. It had been over a year that I've been anywhere. Wow! I'm a witness that healing does happen with time. Today I'm sore especially my neck and having a medium wave from yesterday's adventure but it was so worth it.

I hope all of you take my wonderful news as hope that you'll make a full recovery! Keep tapering, keep distracting, keep moving forward and keep the faith! You will be glad you did. Wow now I can cry tears of joy now! I'm so proud of all of us for our bravery. This isn't easy! But Team Z are warriors! We got this.... Am I right?????