Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Hi Jerry

Thanks Shay: Lets not forget that most of us ended up on these meds due to a difficult life experience. dont beat yourself up xx

2 nights of sleep and feeling back to myself, grateful!

Good for you Kachina!! Cheers!

Hi Z ladies,

Tough times for me. This morning I woke up much too early at eight O clock. There’s a lot of noise around my house, because of labour activities. They are making a new railway station. And at a building next to my appartment building they make scaffolds. Because they are going to paint the windows and replace panels. This is already busy for a couple of weeks. Maybe I am going to sleep at my fathers house, I am not sure yet. Big hugs from me, I read al your stories, but don t have the power to respond to them.  :thumbsup: Jerry

Kachina do u think right now is a good time for you to be a mod? Maybe reading thru the sad and scary posts isn’t good for ur positivity right now. I know u want to help others and that’s a beautiful trait. But sometimes in order to help others u need to put urself first? Or maybe u should limit ur work here to early in the day so it’s not playing on ur mind later on when ur trying to unwind.

Please take care of urself, ur down to the pointy end now. U need everything uve got to get thru this part of the journey x

Stay strong. And don’t let someone else’s story be ur story. And go slow. U have been taking ambien for a long time. U need to to wd from it x

I absolutely agree with Shay and I've given the same advice because Kachina you have been on it a long time. Slowwwwwww!!!!!

Also chocolate can rev up symptoms. Because you of the caffeine and sugar. This might not be what had you feeling funky but it's possible. Please take care Kachina.

Shay you're awesome! Glad you're doing ok. Have you been enjoying the beach or the gym?

Deann good to hear from you. And u too Jerry. I miss u all and love ya. I'm going through a highly difficult family situation so this is why I'm absent. Also preparing for the baby's arrival in 2 weeks.

Kachina do u think right now is a good time for you to be a mod? Maybe reading thru the sad and scary posts isn’t good for ur positivity right now. I know u want to help others and that’s a beautiful trait. But sometimes in order to help others u need to put urself first? Or maybe u should limit ur work here to early in the day so it’s not playing on ur mind later on when ur trying to unwind.

Please take care of urself, ur down to the pointy end now. U need everything uve got to get thru this part of the journey x

Stay strong. And don’t let someone else’s story be ur story. And go slow. U have been taking ambien for a long time. U need to to wd from it x

I absolutely agree with Shay and I've given the same advice because Kachina you have been on it a long time. Slowwwwwww!!!!!

Also chocolate can rev up symptoms. Because you of the caffeine and sugar. This might not be what had you feeling funky but it's possible. Please take care Kachina.

Shay you're awesome! Glad you're doing ok. Have you been enjoying the beach or the gym?

Deann good to hear from you. And u too Jerry. I miss u all and love ya. I'm going through a highly difficult family situation so this is why I'm absent. Also preparing for the baby's arrival in 2 weeks.

Hey team z

Jezza I’m sorry ur not feeling good, I think staying at ur dads is a good idea for now. X

Lady D x it’s been really raining here so no beach and last week I only went to gym once to do yoga. I haven’t been feeling too good, but I’ve still been walking x how’s therapy going ?

Hello Team,

WoW!! Lady, a new baby in 2 weeks!! I can't believe it's almost April. Sorry about your struggles right now, thinking of you.

Jerry, construction is annoying! Thanks for your message, hope you're sleeping!

I had another sleepless night but did better with it this time, rode out some funky feelings the next day but not near as bad as Monday. Grateful I'm doing a taper. Thanks Shay and Lady for being guiding lights!

Happy First Day of Spring to All of you here, Becks hope you're having some good moments. Twbd1ila how's it going with you?

K

you all have motivated me to write down my dosage.  Seems to help others

Really hope to see my progress in the coming weeks.

Thanks to this site; It helps to understand I've been experiencing interdose withdrawal symptoms for at least the last 5 years.  I do not feel "as crazy".  Its good to know there is the physical dependence that seems so obvious now,  Going to some friends home tonight for dinner. Trying to occupy my time in the hours I normally count the minutes before my night time dose.

Last night, was my first good night sleep; 

*Zolpidem/Ambien, 21 years 15 mg to 20

03/06/2021 stabilize to 15 mg

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

Hey Team Z! Thx Kachina and you're welcome. I've been thinking about you too. Things will settle down for you soon. Recovery is like Shay's roller coaster ride with ups downs turns and loops. Then it straightens up...slows to a crawl. Then comes to a complete stop. All over with! That's what I'm keeping in mind.

Shay my home therapist is finished with coming to my house but he gave me exercises to continue at home. Sorry about the rainy weather. I hope it clears soon because I know you love the beach. We had a couple rainy back to back days here last week. Now it's beautiful spring sunshine with birds singing everywhere and flowers blooming and MUCH pollen already. Lol Love and hugs!

Jerry don't worry about the small stuff. You're doing good. Hang in there. How's the sax playing?

Twd it's good that you're still going out with friends to enjoy life. We're glad to be support to you. Take your time with Ambien regardless of what you hear. It's a beast if you go too fast. I know you can do this. Accept that it won't be easy. Expect symptoms ( not feeling good or not sleeping well etc) and most importantly DISTRACT yourself each day with things you enjoy. Keep your positive attitude. You got this!!

Deanna how are you doing lately? Are you happy to be heading into month 9? It's easy to keep up with you because I'm only a month ahead. This Sunday I'll be 10 months!!! Woo hoooo.  :thumbsup:

Hey LadyDen I want to congratulate you on expecting a grandbaby very soon! The miracle of life! I wish speedy healing for you to enjoy every moment.  Yes I am very happy to be closing in on 8 months off the poison.  I think this month has shown some promise. I feel more stable and as long as I keep stress to a minimum I feel more functional.  I am hopeful going forward but I am realistic that there may be more waves ahead before it is all over.

I also want to get the vaccine which might bring some possible setback.  I'm concerned but I really want to get out and socialize again and do not want to get COVID  :tickedoff:

To Z-everyone else here I hope you are enjoying the start to Spring (and Autumn for Shay!)

Yes my 8th month was good too. My 9 th month not so much. This month has been tough. Hopefully my 10th one will be better because this neck tension sucks! It's a new symptom for me. Better than yesterday but still tough. I'm just going to rest today with relaxing and maybe use my heating pad. I'm glad it's temporary so all I have to do is wait for the relief.  :thumbsup:

I pray everyone else is doing good. Beautiful spring time here. A little cloudy but I'm loving the flowers and trees blooming. Birds sounding so lovely.

Yes my 8th month was good too. My 9 th month not so much. This month has been tough. Hopefully my 10th one will be better because this neck tension sucks! It's a new symptom for me. Better than yesterday but still tough. I'm just going to rest today with relaxing and maybe use my heating pad. I'm glad it's temporary so all I have to do is wait for the relief.  :thumbsup:

I pray everyone else is doing good. Beautiful spring time here. A little cloudy but I'm loving the flowers and trees blooming. Birds sounding so lovely.

Oh a couple months ago I went through the worst neck and shoulder pain ever! Lasted about 10 days and I was sure I must have done something to instigate it but the only thing I could think of was that I lifted a pretty light picture over my head onto the wall.  I guess in our strangely fragile state something simple can spur these things on.  Yes the heating pad helped a bit.  And maybe tylenol a little too.  But once that resolved I haven't had it again.  I find it amazing that we all go through very similar patterns of healing.  I hope you feel better soon LadyD!!!

Hi, I’m new here and I’m having a really hard time. Recently, I was having issues with anxiety and dizziness so I was on Ativan 0.5mg -1mg per day for 4 weeks. I knew this was going to give me issues later on so I tapered rapidly during the last week and have been off it for six days now. I have been going through some awful withdrawals including terrible insomnia and dizziness/ feeling like like I’m rocking on a boat. I feel like my withdrawal is probably worse because in the past year, I have also been sporadically using zopiclone usually 3.75 mg a couple of times a week. I regrettably gave in and I had two doses of that during my Ativan withdrawal. I know I’m making matters worse and my brain is a mess now. I want to quit the zopiclone as well but I used that sporadically so I’m not sure if I should cold turkey that now ... I really regret being on either of these :(

It’s nice to have you here. Please don’t take zopiclone x it will make everything worse. I know how hard the insomnia is in wd. I’m getting 2 hrs a night if I’m lucky. It is a symptom some of us have unfortunately, but adding zopiclone to the mix will only make it worse. Try unisom if u need a break from the insomnia. It’s an antihistamine and doesn’t act on same receptors as benzo/z drugs. It gives me 3-4 hrs some nights but it sends me deeper which is what we really need, because in wd it difficult to get rem sleep, which is the deep sleep. Xx hang in there.

[d7...]

Hi, I’m new here and I’m having a really hard time. Recently, I was having issues with anxiety and dizziness so I was on Ativan 0.5mg -1mg per day for 4 weeks. I knew this was going to give me issues later on so I tapered rapidly during the last week and have been off it for six days now. I have been going through some awful withdrawals including terrible insomnia and dizziness/ feeling like like I’m rocking on a boat. I feel like my withdrawal is probably worse because in the past year, I have also been sporadically using zopiclone usually 3.75 mg a couple of times a week. I regrettably gave in and I had two doses of that during my Ativan withdrawal. I know I’m making matters worse and my brain is a mess now. I want to quit the zopiclone as well but I used that sporadically so I’m not sure if I should cold turkey that now ... I really regret being on either of these :(

For someone who is having natural insomnia, and has never reached out to a prescription drug yet to manage it, this is what I would recommend:

1. Start with CBTi. Essentially that is forcing yourself to have a set sleeping pattern, and doing some other things that help your mind get ready for sleep (get RGB lights and program them to turn amber, or red 2hr before bedtime)

2. If still having problems, next step is to get an Ebb CoolDrift machine, and use it. I wish I had tried this originally.

3. If still problems, next step is Melatonin. You can go as high as 6mg a night for years at a time if needed.

4. If still problems, Unisom is a decent OTC medication (If you had to get to this step and you can honestly say you've done the above, then you might be one of the few that has a genetic problem). If you can get your hands on Cannabis, I would alternate between them, and try to use them every other day.

5. Next step is to ask your doctor for Mirtazapine, and start with 7.5mg, and reduce (or increase) as needed.

6. Seroquel would be the next step here, but that drug is powerful, and has potentially bad sides.

7. If none of that is making you sleep, then you have something causing it far more serious than just genetics. Trauma perhaps? A Benzo or Z-Drug will probably work, but these are the Nuclear Weapons of the sleep arsenal. The work, but leave massive destruction in their wake. (All you have to do is read this thread from the beginning to know that).

For those already on a benzo or Z-Drug, Cold Turkey or taper depends on your specific case. How long you were on it, and at what dose.

I essentially CT'd off Zopiclone because I had no choice. How do you taper a drug that has a 5hr half life? My doc refused me Valium, and in hindsight that was probably a good decision. I knew it too, so I didn't push. For those of us already stuck, we have no choice but to go thru the hell on earth.

Definitely try some supps, like Melatonin, Melissa Leaf (Lemon Balm), and Magnolia Bark and see if they help.

Unisom too if you can get it, and Cannabis too if you can get that. Definitely STOP using Zopiclone for rescue doses. It's like trying to put out a fire with gasoline and a Nitrous Oxide spray.

Best of luck to you

Thanks to this board and people talking about tapering.

Tried to stop ambien cold turkey before, but has serious body shakes, aches, and out of body feeling. 

Today, the anxiety has been low, good to have a break in this area.

Tapering has been the solution so far. guess we live and learn. Really wish I never started taking ambien 21 years ago; but here I am.

This week, saw a CBT therapist to help me change my nightly habits. Cautiously optimistic.

The leg nerve pain that has been very difficult for 3 to 4 years is dissipating. Hoping its because the lower dose of ambien is slowly reducing the interdose withdrawal symptoms.  Learned all about these symptoms from this BB. Its been a god send and miracle to be around people that have healed and people still struggling through it like me.

One night at a time I am healing.

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

03/23/2021 to 11 mg

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

03/23/2021 to 11 mg

Hey TWD - I am happy that you are already finding relief in your taper...I too had suffered terrible leg nerve pain due to inter-dose withdrawals from Ambien never knowing the real cause.  Once I started tapering I started to feel better.  It hasn't been easy but I look forward now to a life without pain or drugs.  Wishing you continued and steady healing.  You are in the right place!!

Welcome AK. Nice to have you join us. IF you've not been on the zop very long and only taking it off and on. I would say that you could just not take anymore. I agree that it's putting gas on your fire each time you take it. As Shay said Unisom is a better choice when you're desperate for sleep. I disagree with some of Andros suggestions because Dr Ashton warned against certain herbs, supplements and medications to assist sleep. Such as cannabis, lemon balm, magnesium, chamomile.....just to name a few. If you'd like to see her exhausted list please google Dr Ashton substances not to take during benzo withdrawal. In a nutshell, our brains are too sensitive to introduce anything that acts on gaba receptors. It's like touching a fresh burn on your skin. BUT it's your choice to decide. No offense to you Andros but I wouldn't feel right not mentioning Dr Ashton warning. Some of those things she listed may not bother you or her. AK I'm sorry you're having such a rough time as we all are. As Deanna said the body suffers some form of withdrawal even before the taper starts. The journey back to normalcy is a bumpy road. Waves and windows occurring unpredictably but towards healing. I hope you get some sleep soon. Hang in there. And Andros I strongly agree with CBT-I. It has served as my best tool and many others on BB. I learned what works for me at the beginning of my taper. I'm so glad I did because insomnia is a beast! Love and hugs to all. As TWD said lets all keep moving forward to a better health.

hello teamZ

Great to read your posts and welcome new person, you got this, really you do---!!!! hugs

Twbd would love to hear more about what you're doing to help, the cat stuff, congrats, great to see your taper.

I went down last night and didn't sleep until after 3am ... and feeling quite rocky tonight. Mood issues when not enough sleep, hit hard but anyway, trust I'll sleep tonight and plan to stay reduced.

I did all my normal stuff last night, I think I did anyway ... to calm down. But anyway, sleep didn't happen and I rested .... got up and read ... listened to a sleep story that was so boring but it didn't work ... finally about 2-3 hours of sleep.

For those ahead of us, thank you so very much for your posts.

Kachina

Hi all. I hope everyone is as well as can be.

I have posted in other areas on the forum but interested in feedback specifically related to Z drug Lunesta. Long story short developed tinnitus in right ear Jan 2020. Doctors put me on Ambien, Ambien cr, and then Lunesta to help me sleep. Interchanged them for a few months to try to get sleep and then was introduced to Klonopin by my ENT late August. Started klonopin C/T (learned hard way) restated and then started tapering klonopin, had a medical issue, then updosed. Finally weaned off all Ambien usage and was at 0.41 mg klonopin and 3 mg Lunesta nightly 3 weeks ago. Decided to hold klonopin and wean off Lunesta since it has a shorter half life. Decided to do 25% cut each week and am down to a 1/4 (last 25%) of the 3 mg pill. (not under a doctor taper). Plan to stop all Lunesta on Sunday. Been holding klonopin for about a little over 2 weeks or so.

What I really expected primarily was sleep issues. No real sleep issues since taking klonopin and melatonin but mainly slight shaking, some heart palpations, and a lot of pins/needles/burning sensations in my hands and feet. Is this "normal"?

I know Z drugs are somewhat similar to benzo's regarding GABA receptors so I am assuming it is w/d symptoms I am guessing from the Lunesta.

Anyone have any thoughts?

appreciate your time....

thx seekingtoheal

Thanks to this board; 80 % of my issues are interdose withdrawals.

Each day around 5, anxiety goes up, nerve pain in leg, and ringing in ears. What I'm so happy to know is that these are in deed withdrawals symptoms. Before I got to this board, thought I was slowly going crazy, not wanting to be around people because of my sensitivity to sound/lights. The relief is in the knowing there is a real physical cause. 

Yesterday was my first real day with no withdrawal symptoms. Today, they are back with a vengence. But again, it help to know this is normal.

trudging the road toward happiness. I'm not alone and that feels good.

Another night here I come.

:crazy:

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

03/23/2021 to 11 mg

Hello seekingtoheal - I just wanted to jump in and say that the whole time I was in tolerance withdrawal on Ambien I had no issues with sleep.  I'd take it every night and be knocked out as usual but slowly and surely I began to suffer physical symptoms (muscle tightness, pain, spasms, nerve pain, then god-awful anxiety attacks in the middle of the night)....I thought I was going insane and finally my GP said let's get off the Ambien.  I NEVER made the connection.  Once I started tapering I began to feel less anxious which confirmed the suspicion that it was the drug, but even as I tapered and got off sleep was never the main issue. It was always the physical symptoms that were my most bothersome.  I vowed to not let the insomnia become an issue, so I followed the iCBT principles and while I'm still battling the physical stuff, I can honestly say my sleep is completely satisfactory.  I have plenty of nights where it takes me hours to fall asleep, but most nights it's OK.  And plenty of nights where I'm up in the middle of the night, but I quietly count my blessings, or plan my next good day, and before you know it, it's morning with the promise of one day closer to healing.

What you are experiencing is completely normal.  Good luck to you in your journey!

Thanks to this board; 80 % of my issues are interdose withdrawals.

Each day around 5, anxiety goes up, nerve pain in leg, and ringing in ears. What I'm so happy to know is that these are in deed withdrawals symptoms. Before I got to this board, thought I was slowly going crazy, not wanting to be around people because of my sensitivity to sound/lights. The relief is in the knowing there is a real physical cause. 

Yesterday was my first real day with no withdrawal symptoms. Today, they are back with a vengence. But again, it help to know this is normal.

trudging the road toward happiness. I'm not alone and that feels good.

Another night here I come.

:crazy:

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

03/23/2021 to 11 mg

I’m so proud of ur attitude, u are team z all the way Twb.

But, I’m gunna just say, be careful not to drop too fast. I know u want off, but after taking ambien for 21 years, u can’t rush this. U have dropped 4mg in 3 weeks. That’s fast. X if u feel u can do it then more power to u but I would hate for those cuts to catch up to u and then u end up reinstating . Just take care xx

Appreciate the feed-back.

Patience and persistence.

Deanna, hearing your experience with ambien helps me know I'm not alone with my experience. "(muscle tightness, pain, spasms, nerve pain, then god-awful anxiety attacks in the middle of the night)"

Hello Team Z!

I am excited to report that I have an appt for April 1st (oh no that's April fool's - oh my)...to get my COVID vaccine shot.  I'm opting to go with the J and J version as it is only one shot.  I am realistic in that it may cause an uptick in symptoms, but I no longer want to fear family functions.  It causes more stress that getting the jab.

I'll report back on it, but I am hopeful that it is a non-event.  Other than that I am still working hard at eating clean, good sleep hygiene, limiting stress, etc.  I am almost done with 8 months post-jump.  Can't believe it! Started to walk again and it does still uptick my nerve pain  :-\

Hope you all are moving along in your tapers and withdrawal. So looking forward to all of our success stories.