Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hello all, I'm new here and want to pose a question to you. I am currently trying to taper off from 15mg Valium coming from Ativan. During being on Ativan I had interdose withdrawal with anxiety. Now on Valium I have these feelings a lot less but now I am experiencing a down, depressive feeling all day long which started when I started tapering the Valium. It is very uncomfortable to say te least but can this be an effect of Valium, the tapering process or is it me having a depression? Any input is appreciated! Thanks and best to all of you going through this difficult time. Greetings Pecoro.

I switched from x to Diazapam.  Diazapam is very depressing.  I find myself crying a lot. ON x I was always happy but hart to taper

Did anyone here that was using homemade liquid diazepam made from pills for their taper and then switched to prescription liquid diazepam for their taper, notice the prescription liquid was better in helping with your wd sx?

I am asking because I am thinking about having my Dr. change my pill Rx to Roxanne liquid for a few reasons. 

1: Mixing a Rx liquid batch would be a lot quicker and easier than dissolving pills in vodka and then adding your water. 

2: My physical wd sx are starting to ramp up the lower I get into my taper even though I have slowed it down and have held at different times.

3: I have always dosed 2x a day during my taper and I am nearing 4 mg a day.  I have always taken my daily doses using both pills and liquid since I

started tapering at 15 mg, and I tried to keep my doses as equal as possible throughout my taper...which was within 1mg of each other.  I thought going

all liquid would help me keep both daily doses closer to equal.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone had any thoughts, opinions, or experiences with switching to prescription liquid (good or bad).  And if you did switch, do you think it helped in anyway at all?

Thanks to all,

JoJo  :smitten:

JoJo, I switched from home brew to Rx liquid at 2.8 mg. I think my sleep is better now than it was on the home brew, but the Rx liquid bothers my stomach more so I have to make sure to eat something. It’s WAY easier to make my solution with the Rx liquid though and I think dosing is more reliable with the Rx liquid.

Did anyone here that was using homemade liquid diazepam made from pills for their taper and then switched to prescription liquid diazepam for their taper, notice the prescription liquid was better in helping with your wd sx?

I am asking because I am thinking about having my Dr. change my pill Rx to Roxanne liquid for a few reasons. 

1: Mixing a Rx liquid batch would be a lot quicker and easier than dissolving pills in vodka and then adding your water. 

2: My physical wd sx are starting to ramp up the lower I get into my taper even though I have slowed it down and have held at different times.

3: I have always dosed 2x a day during my taper and I am nearing 4 mg a day.  I have always taken my daily doses using both pills and liquid since I

started tapering at 15 mg, and I tried to keep my doses as equal as possible throughout my taper...which was within 1mg of each other.  I thought going

all liquid would help me keep both daily doses closer to equal.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone had any thoughts, opinions, or experiences with switching to prescription liquid (good or bad).  And if you did switch, do you think it helped in anyway at all?

Thanks to all,

JoJo  :smitten:

I like the liquid better for all the reasons you listed, but can't honestly say my symptoms have been better.  Now I am still at 7.7, so maybe when I get lower, I might have easier symptoms.  That sure would be nice  ;)

Jojo, I'm not sure either but I think it has.  I also have been placing the liquid under my tongue to see if I can get it to absorb sublingually. Not sure if it does or doesn't, but maybe?  Can't hurt, right?  I'm getting ready to swap out another 1 mg here tomorrow from pill to liquid and then I will be 2.38mg liquid and 1 mg pill.  Will probably wait another month or two and then go all liquid.  It's very easy to use as all the others have said. 

TG, I'm sorry about the depression.  Honestly, my depression got a lot better after switching; however, I was crying hours a day when in severe w/d from Klonopin.  That all stopped when I moved to Valium but I wasn't on a high dose of it - only 6.5mg.  I know many others have had issues with depression with Valium. Seems to be a somewhat common complaint, unfortunately.  I hope this lifts for you as you get lower.

Since lowering my dose a tad (20 to now 17). The depression is not as strong.  I just feel really fatigued.  Now that I'm at 17, I"m going to cut a 1/2 mg after three weeks.  THis is at 3%.  I don't care how long it takes me to get off but I want to stay functional for my kids and hubby.  When I get to 10, I would like to learn more about liquid titration and microdosing. 

Hi,, I am not down to 17 mg.  My main symptoms are fatigue, deptression (due to diazepam), and anxiety.    My dr. suggested switching over to liquid diazepam.  Did anyone have issues with this?    He said that the liquid diazepam does not have alcohol but other additives.  I'm so sensitive to everything now.  I don't wear lotion, makeup...I have to be careful what I eat because I have major sensitivities.  I"m wondering if I should just stick to the pills and water taper if needed. 

Are you all having symptoms or not really?  I feel like I'm struggling. I would say I'm half way functional.  I'm in bed some days.  Other days I'm doing laundry, attending birthday events, etc.  Overall, I just don't feel well.  How about you all?  I just want to know if this is normal .  Thanks

Tall Golfer, just fyi:

Each 1 mL of Diazepam Oral Solution (Concentrate) contains 5 mg of ... polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, alcohol (19%), D&C Yellow

I know another liquid valium prep does not contain alcohol, and maybe someone will chime in and tell you what it is. Maybe the alcohol-free ne is the one that your doc mentioned? Sorry, I don't know. Just thought I would alert you to this info as you sure don't want to have the wrong one prescribed if you are sensitive to alcohol.

Best,

Katz

TG, the 5 mg/5ml solution (in the US) doesn’t have alcohol, just propylene glycol. The 5 mg/ml concentrated solution is the one with alcohol and propylene glycol (that’s the one Katz mentioned above).

Hello!  I ct 1 mg Lor last Friday and started on 10mg Val a day. Plan is to use Val for 7 days then start a 5% weekly reduction. Started off feeling pretty decent, but now I am struggling. Should I reinstate the Lor or up my dose of Val?

Hello!  I ct 1 mg Lor last Friday and started on 10mg Val a day. Plan is to use Val for 7 days then start a 5% weekly reduction. Started off feeling pretty decent, but now I am struggling. Should I reinstate the Lor or up my dose of Val?

You are likely having withdrawals from the lorazepam. Is it possible for you to hold at 10 mg Valium until you feel better? Usually it’s recommended that you crossover slowly so the withdrawal from the old drug is minimized.

You are likely having withdrawals from the lorazepam. Is it possible for you to hold at 10 mg Valium until you feel better? Usually it’s recommended that you crossover slowly so the withdrawal from the old drug is minimized.

That is exactly what I was going to say  :thumbsup:  If you can hold until you stabilize, please don't try  a 5% weekly reduction.  That's 20% a month, that is way more than most people can handle.

I am afraid you will hit a wall pretty quickly and feel really bad again.  It's much easier to start out lower, see how you do, and then if you are feeling really well, you might speed up some.  We don't have any information on how long you were on Lorazepam or any other drug you may be taking.

They can all off an effect.  Good luck!  🙋🏼

Mary and group:

Thanks for your positive comment a few weeks ago. I appreciate it---Mary!

It has been 20 days since last reduction. Did not have any troubling sx's. One week overdue for 5%. Noticing an apprehension to reduce yet 5% is so minimal. The mind--says--remember those very uncomfortable and unruly sx's last year. However, I am now at 10% equivalent dose of X I took for 4 months and made big reduction after cross over.

So, another drop to 3.23 mg starting today. Going to follow advice and cut slowly. And get back on 10 to 14-day schedule.

Cheers

Mary and group:

Thanks for your positive comment a few weeks ago. I appreciate it---Mary!

It has been 20 days since last reduction. Did not have any troubling sx's. One week overdue for 5%. Noticing an apprehension to reduce yet 5% is so minimal. The mind--says--remember those very uncomfortable and unruly sx's last year. However, I am now at 10% equivalent dose of X I took for 4 months and made big reduction after cross over.

So, another drop to 3.23 mg starting today. Going to follow advice and cut slowly. And get back on 10 to 14-day schedule.

Cheers

Wishing you great luck with cut blue!!  Really good to hear you are doing well :D.  Please keep us posted.  LY 🙋🏼🙋🏼😘😘🙏😷

Hi group:

Today, I became curious about the constituents/basic pharmacology of diazepam. And am trying to stay busy, been thinking about a nap!

Have read comments in passing about such but decided to revisit the topic.

Diazepam is a unique benzo and is metabolized as follows.

__________ Diazepam_________

|                                                |

Temazepam _________________ Nordiazepam

|

Oxazepam

The half-life of each:

Temazepam---Metabolites were formed with a half-life of 10 hours and excreted with a half-life of approximately 2 hours.

Nordiazepam---Has a half-life of 40-99 hours (other sources state 36 to 200 hours see below), so it remains in the blood and brain for a longer time.

Oxazepam (final metabolite)---Half-lives between 6 and 25 hours.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, the slowest metabolite is Nordiazepam. Wiki gives the following explanation:

Nordazepam is a partial agonist at the GABAA receptor, which makes it less potent than other benzodiazepines, particularly in its amnesic and muscle-relaxing effects.[5] Its elimination half life is between 36 and 200 hours, with wide variation among individuals; factors such as age and gender are known to impact it.[1] The variation of reported half-lifes are attributed to differences in nordazepam metabolism and that of its metabolites as nordazepam is hydroxylated to active metabolites such as oxazepam, before finally being glucuronidated and excreted in the urine.[6] This can be attributed to extremely variable hepatic and renal metabolic functions among individuals depending upon a number of factors (including age, ethnicity, disease, and current or previous use/abuse of other drugs/medicines).

________________________________________________________________________________________________

What, apparently, increases the long half-life of diazepam is the conversion rate of Nordazepam into Oxazepam.

The fastest conversion to Oxazepam is Temazepam.

So, the two metabolites have a vastly different half live.

This does seem to confirm the cutting rate of 10 to 14 days. At a slow reduction rate of 5% to 10% sx's should be modest or marginal after 10 to 14 days depending on the factors listed above, i.e. (including gender, age, ethnicity...etc.)

10 days = 240 hours

14 days = 336 hours

14 days or longer if necessary seems to be the best time frame.

If anyone finds an error in this simple explanation feel free to correct or add your input. Note--that half-lives are not consistent with sources but the ones above ought to be a close representation.

Note: I finally found a clear video explanation of half-lives and the complete elimination of drugs. Remember when we speak of half-live that is only 50% of the metabolites. It takes 4.5 half-lives to expend 95% of a drug.

This is an excellent lesson in the half-life and the elimination process.

And Gaba receptors and how they work. This is an excellent yet short vissual discussion of how hypnotics and sedatives work in different gaba receptiors.

Cheers

Hi group:

Today, I became curious about the constituents/basic pharmacology of diazepam. And am trying to stay busy, been thinking about a nap!

|

Oxazepam

The half-life of each:

Temazepam---Metabolites were formed with a half-life of 10 hours and excreted with a half-life of approximately 2 hours.

Nordiazepam---Has a half-life of 40-99 hours (other sources state 36 to 200 hours see below), so it remains in the blood and brain for a longer time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, the slowest metabolite is Nordiazepam. Wiki gives the following explanation:

Nordazepam is a partial agonist at the GABAA receptor, which makes it less potent than other benzodiazepines, particularly in its amnesic and muscle-relaxing effects.[5] Its elimination half life is between 36 and 200 hours, with wide variation among individuals; factors such as age and gender are known to impact it.[1] The variation of reported half-lifes are attributed to differences in nordazepam metabolism and that of its metabolites as nordazepam is hydroxylated to active metabolites such as oxazepam, before finally being glucuronidated and excreted in the urine.[6] This can be attributed to extremely variable hepatic and renal metabolic functions among individuals depending upon a number of factors (including age, ethnicity, disease, and current or previous use/abuse of other drugs/medicines).

________________________________________________________________________________________________

What, apparently, increases the long half-life of diazepam is the conversion rate of Nordazepam into Oxazepam.

This does seem to confirm the cutting rate of 10 to 14 days. At a slow reduction rate of 5% to 10% sx's should be modest or marginal after 10 to 14 days depending on the factors listed above, i.e. (including gender, age, ethnicity...etc.)

10 days = 240 hours

14 days = 336 hours

If anyone finds an error in this simple explanation feel free to correct or add your input. Note--that half-lives are not consistent with sources but the ones above ought to be a close representation.

Note: I finally found a clear video explanation of half-lives and the complete elimination of drugs. Remember when we speak of half-live that is only 50% of the metabolites. It takes 4.5 half-lives to expend 95% of a drug.

And Gaba receptors and how they work. This is an excellent yet short vissual discussion of how hypnotics and sedatives work in different gaba receptiors.

Cheers

Blue, that is very interesting.    I have kept track of when I taper, it is usually right around the 11 day mark, my wd symptoms pop up.  So around the 16th, 17th day, I decide if I am okay to taper again or better hold up awhile.  Figuring out that day , approximately,has helped me.  A lot of people don't realize there are 3 metabolites in Diazapam, with different actions and half times.  If I had know, I am not sure I would have crossed.  Diazapam and I are not friends, but been together to long now to split up  ;)

Hi group:

|

Oxazepam

The half-life of each:

10 days = 240 hours

14 days = 336 hours

Cheers

Blue, that is very interesting.    I have kept track of when I taper, it is usually right around the 11 day mark, my wd symptoms pop up.  So around the 16th, 17th day, I decide if I am okay to taper again or better hold up awhile.  Figuring out that day , approximately,has helped me.  A lot of people don't realize there are 3 metabolites in Diazapam, with different actions and half times.  If I had know, I am not sure I would have crossed.  Diazapam and I are not friends, but been together to long now to split up  ;)

Hi Mary:

I am still chuckling ------- "Diazapam and I are not friends, but been together to long now to split up  ;)"

The whole benzo family should be drawn and quatered or as the Queen of Hearts, would say---"off with those benzos' heads."

You know even at 4 mgs and under; I feel/sense no noticable effect. Must be very subtle.

Yes, seems about right 17th to 20th day.

Thank care and cheers

Blue001

Hi group:

|

Oxazepam

The half-life of each:

10 days = 240 hours

14 days = 336 hours

Cheers

Hi Mary:

I am still chuckling ------- "Diazapam and I are not friends, but been together to long now to split up  ;)"

The whole benzo family should be drawn and quatered or as the Queen of Hearts, would say---"off with those benzos' heads."

You know even at 4 mgs and under; I feel/sense no noticable effect. Must be very subtle.

Yes, seems about right 17th to 20th day.

Thank care and cheers

Blue001

:smitten:

Blue, I agree, I didn’t notice much effect at 4 mg and less. At this point in my taper I’m certain it’s not doing anything for me.

Blue, I agree, I didn’t notice much effect at 4 mg and less. At this point in my taper I’m certain it’s not doing anything for me.

Hey guys, when did you go down to one dose a day?  :)

Mary, I’m still dosing twice a day. Last year when I was tapering I switched to just PM at 10 mg. (Went back to am/pm when I reinstated)

Hi group:

|

Oxazepam

The half-life of each:

10 days = 240 hours

14 days = 336 hours

Cheers

Hi Blue,

Thanks for this very interesting post. I didn't know any of this.

As for the cutting rate every 14 days, what we need to have in mind is that one thing is how long the drug is having an effect in your system, and another thing is, how long your gaba receptors are going to take to upregulate after that last cut, and there's no evidence that it will take 14 days. In fact, due to my own terrible experience in the past, I'm absolutely sure that kindled gaba receptors can take much longer to upregulate than the period of time the drug is no longer in your system. Therefore, regardless of the time of action of the drug, we need to wait for the gaba receptors to upregulate (and sxs will tell us when that is), before attempting the next cut, unless we want to risk what I call a benzo crash, or: "How on earth did I go into acute WD if I was "just" tapering?". This is all my personal opinion based on what I read on BBs and my own "benzo crash".

The info is amazing. If my doctor wasn't a know it all I'd share it with him. But what's the point?  ::)

I know of some who feel their cuts on Day 5 with Valium.  As you said, I think metabolism and other factors are definitely at work here.  I also think that weight may be a factor as well - I read an article that spoke about this somewhere.  The more a person weighs, the longer the medication stays in their system.