Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

In hope of allaying concerns re: a possible shortage of the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam in the US ...

The US FDA maintains a searchable database of current and resolved drug shortages at:

FDA Drug Shortages

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/

The database is updated on a daily basis. As of the date/time of this post, a shortage has not been reported.

Two fyi’s that may (or may not :)) be of interest:

(1) Roxane and West-Ward have been part of Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC since 2016. Hikma is a multinational pharmaceutical company.  PLC stands for “public limited company” - it is the British equivalent of the US “Inc.” or “incorporated company.”  Contact info for Hikma US headquarters:

Hikma Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.

246 Industrial Way West,

Eatontown, NJ 07724

Main Number 732-542-1191

(2) In the US, the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam is supplied to pharmacies in 500 mL bottles.  Individual prescriptions are dispensed from that bottle into smaller bottles.

In hope of allaying concerns re: a possible shortage of the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam in the US ...

The US FDA maintains a searchable database of current and resolved drug shortages at:

FDA Drug Shortages

The database is updated on a daily basis. As of the date/time of this post, a shortage has not been reported.

(1) Roxane and West-Ward have been part of Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC since 2016. Hikma is a multinational pharmaceutical company.  PLC stands for “public limited company” - it is the British equivalent of the US “Inc.” or “incorporated company.”  Contact info for Hikma US headquarters:

246 Industrial Way West,

Eatontown, NJ 07724

Main Number 732-542-1191

(2) In the US, the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam is supplied to pharmacies in 500 mL bottles.  Individual prescriptions are dispensed from that bottle into smaller bottles.

Thanks so much for that information Libertas!!  You're the bomb.  💣💣💣🙋🏼🙋🏼

FDA Drug Shortages

246 Industrial Way West,

Eatontown, NJ 07724

Main Number 732-542-1191

Hi Libertas:

Thanks for the update. Appears google lead me astray. What a convoluted series of aquisitions/buy backs, FDA rulings etc. A public limited company ('PLC') is a company that is able to offer its shares to the public. They don't have to offer those shares to the public, but they can. Well over 95% of limited companies in the UK are "private" – it is by far the most common form of limited company.

Shall delete my prior comment.

Appears production of Roxane branded products is still in Columbus, Ohio. Hikma is a big international operation with 29 manufacturing facilities in 11 countries.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I had also checked FDA shortage list before posting my original comment and found no shortages.

Consequently, the comments made by the Walgreens pharmacist/calls to competitive pharmacies and inconsistent availability caused some alarm. Particularly, when they stated sometimes it takes a few months to fill backorders. Must be a regional issue with suppliers--in my area--or production issues.

Please accept my apology for having caused any consternation and concern to members in this support group.

Cheers

Blue001

Mary5588 and Momof7babes:  You are most welcome.  As always, it’s good to see you on the boards.

blue001: There’s absolutely no need to apologize!  Being told by a pharmacist that a key drug is on backorder (or “unavailable”) is unsettling.  I know because it happened to me.  What I discovered is the same thing you have—the pharmaceutical supply chain is complex so there are multiple points where disruptions might occur.

Hikma is huge, isn’t it?  It’s also the only company I’ve found that manufactures all four of the US FDA-approved benzodiazepine liquid formulations—the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam as well as the Intensols for diazepam, lorazepam, and alprazolam.  I take this as a positive sign.

Guys, I spoke to my pharmacist today when picking up another prescription, I use Walmart.

He looked it up and said he didn't see any issues, but if it would make me feel better, I could pre order just to make sure it's there .  He was very reassuring.    ;)

Mary5588 and Momof7babes:  You are most welcome.  As always, it’s good to see you on the boards.

blue001: There’s absolutely no need to apologize!  Being told by a pharmacist that a key drug is on backorder (or “unavailable”) is unsettling.  I know because it happened to me.  What I discovered is the same thing you have—the pharmaceutical supply chain is complex so there are multiple points where disruptions might occur.

Hikma is huge, isn’t it?  It’s also the only company I’ve found that manufactures all four of the US FDA-approved benzodiazepine liquid formulations—the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam as well as the Intensols for diazepam, lorazepam, and alprazolam.  I take this as a positive sign.

Thanks Libertas

deleted--see new post below.

Cheers

Blue001

Hi! Not sure if I’m posting this the right way, but I have a question. I switched straight from Ativan to Valium and I’ve had crippling depression for about 3 or 4 weeks. Does this lift? I’ve been kindled, thrown around on doses... I’m just trying to stabilize but this depression is bad. Does it lift?

Hi! Not sure if I’m posting this the right way, but I have a question. I switched straight from Ativan to Valium and I’ve had crippling depression for about 3 or 4 weeks. Does this lift? I’ve been kindled, thrown around on doses... I’m just trying to stabilize but this depression is bad. Does it lift?

Hi Amisucks:

Just wanted to say hi to you. I am relatively new on BB and wish I could give you definitive feedback. Could very well be due to direct crossover and just be temporary given you had no pre-existing depression. Many of us are tapering with concurrent depression. I can certainly empathize.

Cheers

Hi Amlsucks. As far as I know, the equivalence for 0.5 lorazepam would be 5mgs Valium but I'd like someone with more experience on Ativan to express their opinion. I'm not sure. In any case, I have read many buddies who expressed how depressing Valium is after a crossover. It's better to cross over gradually if possible. Waiting for more buddies to come and help you. Hang in there.

Hi group:

A bit of ventilation.

I decided to forego my next .2 reduction this coming Thursday and reevaluate the process and timing (per my above-deleted comment).

Today, noticed after 8 days of .2 cut a bit of sx's. Nothing serious just a bit of an eye twitch from time to time and feeling irritable. It's a minor sx and something I ought to just accept--as part of the process--given many others have far worse sx's. I am eager to get this show on the road after sitting on 4 mg for nearly four months. However, I am not willing to endure the battery of sx's from last year--ever again.

While perusing the 3 mg and under group, was surprised by the sx's many experiences even at low doses that are well below any any real therapuetic value.

Of course, Ashton's method is heavy handed and recommends sizable reductions even when down to 2/4 mg. Realize BB does not at all recommend such once down to lower doses.

Any guidance on the time between reductions and the % of reductions once one is below 4 mg.

I am irritated and impatient with this slow process. However, I realize going to fast interfers with bodies ability to safely reach homeostasis.

In addition, wonder is it better just to reduce every 10 days by .10 mg. or as most---advocate---just let your symptoms be your guide.

I often see the term kindled on the site. Did some research and it appears to be set off by either repeated attempts at withdrawal or making too many frequent re-instatements etc. Is this correct or does BB use the term more liberally to mean, e.g. more difficult SX's after reductions.

Cheers

Blue001

Hi group:

A bit of ventilation.

I decided to forego my next .2 reduction this coming Thursday and reevaluate the process and timing (per my above-deleted comment).

Today, noticed after 8 days of .2 cut a bit of sx's. Nothing serious just a bit of an eye twitch from time to time and feeling irritable. It's a minor sx and something I ought to just accept--as part of the process--given many others have far worse sx's. I am eager to get this show on the road after sitting on 4 mg for nearly four months. However, I am not willing to endure the battery of sx's from last year--ever again.

While perusing the 3 mg and under group, was surprised by the sx's many experiences even at low doses that are well below any any real therapuetic value.

Of course, Ashton's method is heavy handed and recommends sizable reductions even when down to 2/4 mg. Realize BB does not at all recommend such once down to lower doses.

Any guidance on the time between reductions and the % of reductions once one is below 4 mg.

I am irritated and impatient with this slow process. However, I realize going to fast interfers with bodies ability to safely reach homeostasis.

In addition, wonder is it better just to reduce every 10 days by .10 mg. or as most---advocate---just let your symptoms be your guide.

I often here the term kindled on the site. Did some research and it appears to be set off by either repeated attempts at withdrawal or making too many frequent re-instatments etc. Is this correct or does BB use the term more liberally to mean, e.g. more difficult SX's after reductions.

Cheers

Blue001

Some people have a harder time on lower doses especially if going too quickly and already are having symptoms.  Definitely let them be your guide, don't set any rules.  Kindle is more the repeated attempts or if you get prescribed too many meds and aren't taken off one med before more are added.  It's something we just aren't familiar with until we have been on bb awhile.  Not sure most Dr's even know it exists.    :( :(

Thank Mary

Appreciate the concise explanation and guidance. And wading through my semi-rant/ventilation.

You are very helpful to those of us in this group.

Cheers

Blue001

Thank Mary

Appreciate the concise explanation and guidance. And wading through my semi-rant/ventilation.

You are very helpful to those of us in this group.

Cheers

Blue001

If a rant helps blue, rant on.  It's all so confusing and there is so much more involved than anyone not going through it could possibly imagine  :smitten:

After 6 weeks of CT off  Allprazolam (xanax)...only used for 2 months.  My doctor put me on 20 mg of Diazapam to stabalize.  It took me about 3 weeks to stabalize. I don't feel 100 %.  My body obviously likes xanax better. I was quite depressed when I started the Diazapam an it makes me sleepy.  The depression lifted a week ago and I made my first cut today.  20 mg down to 19. (4 am)  (5 pm)  (10 evening).  Just wanted to share. 

One question,  At what point did you start microtapering or water tapering.  I'm seeing most people do it around 5 mg????

One question,  At what point did you start microtapering or water tapering.  I'm seeing most people do it around 5 mg????

I was able to do cut and hold until 3 mgs. Then I switched to microtapering -- DLMT.  Please be aware  the "water tapering" must include a solvent for the valium -- either alcohol or PG. Benzos are not soluble in water (or milk, or orange juice).

I took 2mgs of valium in pill form, and dissolved 1 mg of valium in 1 ml of vodka, added water in a beaker up to 100 mls and used that "witches' brew" to taper a tiny, consistent amount every day. It worked out fine.

Hope this helps.

Katz

I'm tryng to learn as much as I can.  In your experience with Diazapam/Valium, when did you ususally feel the cut.  How many days out?  Right away?  Thanks so much for helping out a newby. 

I'm tryng to learn as much as I can.  In your experience with Diazapam/Valium, when did you ususally feel the cut.  How many days out?  Right away?  Thanks so much for helping out a newby.

It depends on the size of the cut, but usually within a week I would feel the cut. That’s part of why I switched to a daily microtaper. It helps smooth things out.

Dizziness question.

Hi, I didn't have this before, but for the past two months I feel terribly dizzy, accompanied by a headache and nausea. Is it glutamate damage or side effects of the Gabapentin? Does anyone have this symptom?

Dizziness question.

Hi, I didn't have this before, but for the past two months I feel terribly dizzy, accompanied by a headache and nausea. Is it glutamate damage or side effects of the Gabapentin? Does anyone have this symptom?

I have this symptom sometimes and I’m not taking gabapentin, so it’s possible it’s the benzo. It comes and goes for me, I usually notice it’s worst around ovulation.

Kitsune I'm around ovolutation now but it's much worse than last month. I'm not sure in my case it has a connection with ovulation. I really find there's a connection between this dizziness and the feeling we both have of a headache with a sensation of balloon being inflated inside our head, or as GP once's described it, as if there was a huge key being turned inside my brain. I feel there's a connection between this and the dizziness.

Kitsune I'm around ovolutation now but it's much worse than last month. I'm not sure in my case it has a connection with ovulation. I really find there's a connection between this dizziness and the feeling we both have of a headache with a sensation of balloon being inflated inside our head, or as GP once's described it, as if there was a huge key being turned inside my brain. I feel there's a connection between this and the dizziness.

I think you’re right about the connection between the head pressure and the other symptoms. I had both last week when I was ovulating and now am feeling better. I hope you’re able to pinpoint what is causing your symptoms. My worst symptoms tend to follow my cycle, which I know is common for a lot of women, but it sounds like that isn’t the case for you.  :(

Dizziness question.

I was dizzy off and on in the beginning Val, but not in a long tine.  I think it was wd, it's been gone.

Hope yours doesn't stick around long.  It's such an uncomfortable feeling.  LY 🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼

I think you’re right about the connection between the head pressure and the other symptoms. I had both last week when I was ovulating and now am feeling better. I hope you’re able to pinpoint what is causing your symptoms. My worst symptoms tend to follow my cycle, which I know is common for a lot of women, but it sounds like that isn’t the case for you.  :(

Kitsune, it could be the case for me too as now I think I'm ovulating so that would make sense out of why I'm having much more dizziness. But I don't remember being this bad last month although maybe I was, I remember having a couple days feeling terrible and then better. This dizziness is so incapacitating. Another symptom I have if such low stress tolerance. When something happens, like for instance the micrphone of my computer was not working now during a skype call, and I was just freking out inside like "ok this is just too much". It's true that for the past months I've had so many things going wrong that it might be a combination between bwd and too much stress.