Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi Sharkie and everyone. Has anyone heard from Pokey? Just wondering how he is doing.

Sharkie, I am down to 0.012grams and will be making another cut very soon. So under 1 mg. I’m crushing my Remeron and then I mortar it real good so that it’s like powder, then I weigh the powder on the Gemini scale. So far it’s working great. I’m planning to keep going as long as it weighs out. How are you doing now?

Jackie :smitten:

Good to hear from you Jackie.  Congratulations on how low you've gotten! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  How are you feeling?  What's your taper been like overall? 

Even though I haven't been on here much lately, I think about you and your progress forward as I plan my ultimate goal to be Mirt free. 

As for me I'm uncertain.  Still not fully recovered from previous benzo and SSRI withdrawal and I feel a bit stuck even after 30 months off.  Thought I would be further along.  I wonder if the Mirt is preventing full healing or just masking benzo withdrawal.  I have numerous supplement and food interactions with the Mirt metabolism (some things potentiate and some things reduce it's effectiveness).  That throws me all over the place and I never feel well so I'd really like to be drug-free and see if I can heal.  All that to say, I'm taking a page from your book and starting slow at 5% a month since I feel rather compromised already and have had one horrid taper I don't want to repeat. 

I want to start crushing and weighing out the powder, so, if you don't mind, here are some specific questions.

Do you crush with a mortar and pestle?  Any specific one I should get?

When you weigh the powder, did you notice that it weighed out similarly to an uncrushed pill?  I wonder if the weight changes after crushing.

After getting it in powder format, how do you transfer it to your scale (so as not to waste) and then how do you transfer from your scale to your mouth?  Do you encapsulate?  Any advice appreciated on the details of your protocol. 

Thanks for your help!

Shark :smitten:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a member of BB for years; joined to try to get off klonopin which has not been very successful ... have only managed to reduce .25 mg of a 1 mg dose but I have been stable here for 18+ months. Several years ago was put on mirt to help with the k taper. Now it doesn't seem to help with anything, so I decided to taper mirt, mostly due to weight I can't get off ... I am very overweight now. I work full-time from home always, not just during the coronavirus pandemic, so thought this would be a good time to try to get off. I cut 3 percent two days ago and have a horrific headache. I assume it's connected but don't know for sure. Hoping to cut 3 percent every week or so, hoping smaller cuts make this more do-able. I really hope I can get off this drug. I am trying to reclaim my health! Hope to then do my K taper in the fall of 2021, after my youngest starts college. That will also need to be a long slow taper. Want to remain functional.

Hi Nj, i have seen your posts in this forum somewhere, but i dont remember where it is. The people here mostly leaves first benzos, then remeron. Have you searched about that? BTW, welcome this friendly thread.

One question to taperers: i have used liquid all in this process. It is available here. Now i wonder how long its potency lasts once it has opened. I think it is much more durable than compounding and so i am using it for two months once the bottle is first served. Then throw the dust bin no matter how much it contains. This my thought. What do you think about that?

BTW, Jack how are you doing? And Pokey so...

Welcome NJ,

I feel like I have seen you here before as well, must have been on another thread. I agree with June. It is usually recommended to taper the benzo before Remeron. That is what most of us here did. Personally I don’t think doing it the other way around would have been an option for me. I can’t really advise you there as I am biased to think my way is the right way. But that does not mean it can’t work for you.

June,

I am improving. I am back on my feet but still can’t go back to work because of this damn fever. The doctor’s still suspect covid so they sent me for an antibody test 2 days ago and we are waiting for results. Whatever it is it feels like I am almost through it but the fever just won’t stop popping back up.

Thanks for your input. The issue is that I have really struggled with the K taper and put it on hold a year and a half ago. My son developed serious health issues, I had to get my shit together and at that point I was really struggling and had been for at least two and a half years. I don't want to taper that until my son is away at college, in a year and a half, so would like to get rid of the remeron as I don't think it really does anything for me anymore. I cut Saturday (3%) and only symptom is maybe a little nausea and sometimes very bad headaches.

I started the remeron to help with sleep and nausea. I now use medical marijuana to help with that,  in low doses. Works so much better than the remeron and that is what I hope to lean on when I begin to taper K again (Sept. 2021)--I will not let my child ever again see me as sick as I was then. He had been sick for a while and I didn't even realize what was going on I was so absorbed with my own issues.

Hoping the remeron taper is not as traumatic as my attempts to reduce K.

Thanks for your input. The issue is that I have really struggled with the K taper and put it on hold a year and a half ago. My son developed serious health issues, I had to get my shit together and at that point I was really struggling and had been for at least two and a half years. I don't want to taper that until my son is away at college, in a year and a half, so would like to get rid of the remeron as I don't think it really does anything for me anymore. I cut Saturday (3%) and only symptom is maybe a little nausea and sometimes very bad headaches.

I started the remeron to help with sleep and nausea. I now use medical marijuana to help with that,  in low doses. Works so much better than the remeron and that is what I hope to lean on when I begin to taper K again (Sept. 2021)--I will not let my child ever again see me as sick as I was then. He had been sick for a while and I didn't even realize what was going on I was so absorbed with my own issues.

Hoping the remeron taper is not as traumatic as my attempts to reduce K.

IMHO if you start super super slow and proceed with extreme caution then Remeron withdrawal is pretty much as traumatic as you allow it to be. It is not as bad as a benzo BUT it can be. If you go too fast it feels almost exactly like benzo withdrawal and the severity can be less, the same or even worse depending on how fast you go. I have pushed the limits here because I want off but I think I could have gotten to this point practically asymptomatically if I had gone at half the speed or less. Dave did his taper over 5+ years if you read his signature. Erin Green the youtuber that we refer to on occasional here spent 2 and a half years tapering 15 mg of Remeron and her symptoms seemed much less that what I have put myself through at the pace I did so far. One thing that strikes me about Remeron that makes it much less scary is the consistency of the cut and stabilization process and the absence of tolerance withdrawal. Tolerance is the thing that makes tapering benzos so nightmarish, it almost traps you when you get to a certain point. If you go slow enough you should be fine.

However, I am concerned that the mirt could be doing more for you than you know. It could mask benzo tolerance and you might expose some underlying benzo symptoms when you start peeling away the Remeron. Again, that’s only a possibility. If you proceed with caution then you should be able to stop your taper without too much pain if you don’t go too far too fast. I wish you the best of luck. I am glad to have your company to go through this with us but I am sorry that you have to go through it at all.

Hey Jack, i think it was Covid for you and if it was so i think you got through that shit. Because of the unsafe world of tests, if you tested negative, in fact it may have been positiive. Covid or any other problems are the worst things which one could face while tapering. Anyway, i am pleased to hear you went through that.

You could say some world about the durability of originally liquid rem?

Nj, the last thing i can say about the rem is you should mind Jack's warnings, because lots of people use remeron to get a sleep&appetite support while pushing benzo taper and you want to eliminate this support first. Remeron isnt a good thing, but if you dont want to get messed up, please do some search. Maybe, thinking lowering to 3&4 mgs and waiting there for sleep&appetite, then pushing benzo taper, then finally finishing rem could be an option. This is my two cents. Please mind the objections and do some search..

Hey Jack, i think it was Covid for you and if it was so i think you got through that shit. Because of the unsafe world of tests, if you tested negative, in fact it may have been positiive. Covid or any other problems are the worst things which one could face while tapering. Anyway, i am pleased to hear you went through that.

You could say some world about the durability of originally liquid rem?

Nj, the last thing i can say about the rem is you should mind Jack's warnings, because lots of people use remeron to get a sleep&appetite support while pushing benzo taper and you want to eliminate this support first. Remeron isnt a good thing, but if you dont want to get messed up, please do some search. Maybe, thinking lowering to 3&4 mgs and waiting there for sleep&appetite, then pushing benzo taper, then finally finishing rem could be an option. This is my two cents. Please mind the objections and do some search..

June, thank you. I am going very slow. I use the medical marijuana now for sleep, really do not need help with appetite, I have gained a lot on remeron and cannot afford any more, it is seriously messing up my health. If I start having a hard time I will hold on the taper. Unfortunately, I really don't see tapering the benzo in the next 18 months. I really tried for three and a half years and just was very unstable; obviously the remeron was not helping me enough then. I have a child with a serious chronic health condition and need to be functional so would like to get rid of something if I can. I will not continue if it becomes too horrible because I need to be functional. So far just some headaches. I did initially go on remeron for help with the benzo withdrawal; it did allow me to drop some in dose but I just struggled at all doses below .5 of Klonopin, now I am at .75. I know remeron has a high "poop out" rate, and I think that is what has happened.

Hello, I really need some help and advice, please.

I managed to get off benzos almost 4 weeks ago. I was a medium-term, low-dose user of benzos since late October 2019. I also started taking mirtazapine in early December 2019 to help me sleep. Throughout my benzo taper, I was sleeping on and off, but I survived it. ACtually, I felt better the lower the benzo dose got, which I know is not the norm. All this time, I dosed up and down on Mirtazapine between 3.75 and 15mg depending on how wired I felt near bedtime. I wanted off of the Mirtazapine too so I kept my dose at 3.75 for a week and then jumped. A couple of days later, I had wicked insomnia and anxiety at bedtime and couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours. A few nights ago I got frustrated around midnight and took a 11.25mg dose to knock me out. It worked....

So now what? How do I get off this stuff? It almost feels as difficult, if not more, to wean off than benzos. Does anyone else feel that way? I just want to sleep normally again.

Hello, I really need some help and advice, please.

I managed to get off benzos almost 4 weeks ago. I was a medium-term, low-dose user of benzos since late October 2019. I also started taking mirtazapine in early December 2019 to help me sleep. Throughout my benzo taper, I was sleeping on and off, but I survived it. ACtually, I felt better the lower the benzo dose got, which I know is not the norm. All this time, I dosed up and down on Mirtazapine between 3.75 and 15mg depending on how wired I felt near bedtime. I wanted off of the Mirtazapine too so I kept my dose at 3.75 for a week and then jumped. A couple of days later, I had wicked insomnia and anxiety at bedtime and couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours. A few nights ago I got frustrated around midnight and took a 11.25mg dose to knock me out. It worked....

So now what? How do I get off this stuff? It almost feels as difficult, if not more, to wean off than benzos. Does anyone else feel that way? I just want to sleep normally again.

Cold turkey actually works for some. But on this thread you won’t find any of those lucky people. Lol. So if you tried CT and it did not work then you have to reinstate and taper like we are all doing here. Now as far as your comment on benzo withdrawal that is very personalized. It would depend how bad your benzo withdrawal was. Mine was like spending 6 months in literal hell. There was a point where I did not eat or sleep for 45 days. I swear I was going to die but somehow I did not. I started getting food down and some sleep in just in time thanks to Remeron. I swear that Remeron saved my life. It sucks that I have to taper that now but it has not been anything close to benzo withdrawal as that literally almost killed me. Remeron withdrawal does not have to be total hell BUT tapered properly it can take years. You are supposed to taper no more than 10 percent per month. Not 10 percent of the original dose but 10 percent of last your current dose so the cuts get smaller and smaller so it takes forever. Now if you had a mild benzo withdrawal then yeah it can be just as bad. If you had a hellish near death experience with benzos then Remeron tapering is a piece of cake in comparison. It really all depends on your own personal experience and perspective. The one thing I appreciate about mirt tapering is not having to deal with the monkey wrench of tolerance withdrawal like many of us dealt with during our benzo taper.

How does one dissolve or taper Mirtazapine though? Is it soluble in anything? I have the hard 15mg tablets and can split them into 7.5mg and 3.75mg only.

I'm shocked that Mirtazapine has such a hold on me, especially since I got off benzos relatively easy compared to most others here. I'm trying to skim this thread and see that some of you have said Mirt has masked some of your benzo withdrawal? I wonder if that's why I hardly had any withdrawal symptoms from valium? Sleep has been and still is the worst problem for me.

How does one dissolve or taper Mirtazapine though? Is it soluble in anything? I have the hard 15mg tablets and can split them into 7.5mg and 3.75mg only.

I'm shocked that Mirtazapine has such a hold on me, especially since I got off benzos relatively easy compared to most others here. I'm trying to skim this thread and see that some of you have said Mirt has masked some of your benzo withdrawal? I wonder if that's why I hardly had any withdrawal symptoms from valium? Sleep has been and still is the worst problem for me.

Yep, I always had sleep issues. That’s what got me into this whole mess. I should have just stuck with the melatonin. I had my doctor write a script to a local compounding pharmacy and they mix up a liquid compound for me every two weeks and I taper from there.

Yep, I always had sleep issues. That’s what got me into this whole mess. I should have just stuck with the melatonin. I had my doctor write a script to a local compounding pharmacy and they mix up a liquid compound for me every two weeks and I taper from there.

Jack, what about the durability of orinigally liquid mirt. i have used liquid all in this process. It is available here. Now i wonder how long its potency lasts once it has opened. I think it is much more durable than compounding and so i am using it for two months once the bottle is first served. Then throw the dust bin no matter how much it contains. This my thought. What do you think about that? Sorry i am asking again because there was no answer...

June,

Yes, I think manufactures liquid mirt would be preferable. However, here in the United States it is not available.

DJ,

Not sure where you are at, maybe you can get liquid mirt. Here in the US it is not available so we have to have it mixed up for us.

Hi Sharkie. Sorry it has been awhile since I was on last. Trying to keep busy so I’m not thinking so much about all the bad stuff. When I started my Remeron taper I was so scared because of what everyone else had been through. I too had C/T off a benzo, ( Lorazepam ) and wanted that far behind me. So I waited for I believe 2 1/2 - 3 years before I started my Remeron taper. I was on 3.75Mg. I spoke to many people on BenzoBuddies and Surviving Antidepressants as well as some Facebook groups. One of the things I was told was to make sure I was pretty well healed from my benzo. I was also told to not overthink it. That was the best advice for me.

When I first started I would cut my pill and weigh out my pieces but as I started getting lower I realized that I wasn’t getting all the medication in my piece so at that point I started crushing my 15Mg pill in a pill crusher and then using a mortar and pestle I was able to grind it further. Did I lose medication? Maybe a little but I decided not to worry about that. I know that some people crush several pill but I don’t. I bought a very tiny spoon or measuring type spoon from Amazon. I use that to sprinkle the powder in the bowl on my scale. Now that I’m lower it takes a bit for the scale to except the weight but it does. It takes patience. I then take the bowl of powder and put the powder in a pill case. If you want you could just weigh your dose everyday but I just want it done.

I think it’s important to not get to worked up about losing powder. Remeron has a longer half life and if you take your time you’ll be alright. I did similar when I tapered Valium. I’ll help you in any way I can. Just let me know. When you starting and at what Mg? Also 5, 10% a month is good, IMO.

Jackie  :smitten:

Thanks so much Jackie!  :)

I just bought a pill crusher and micro powder spoon from Amazon.  I'll start there and let you know if I have more questions.  I've made 2 cuts so far and am at .057 right now just shaving and weighing.  I'll be a while.

It's been 2.5 years since the end of my ativan/valium taper.  I was hoping to be farther along in healing, but I'm just not (still have three persistent 24/7 symptoms).  I wonder if the Mirt is just overall delaying healing for me.  I continue to have food and supplement interactions with it and really would like to be off all meds if I can.  I'm praying!

How are you feeling?  Has your taper been manageable or difficult?

Sharkie :smitten:

So I am kind of terrified here. I got the results back from my covid antibody and they were negative. That scares me because my job is just about the highest level of exposure in the country. I was not afraid of this virus when I was doing well but I am not doing well. I am far far from doing well. I am in rough shape here and I have no idea what the hell is going on. I have c diff which I had last year and suspect has been back for about 6 months. It did not cause a fever before and I don't think it is the cause now. I have been on vancomycin for 10 days so my fever should be gone but it's not. I have been sick for almost a month now. I don't know whether the Remeron taper finally caught up with me or all the stress I am under lately caused a Xanax wave or if I went too low on the Remeron and exposed some underlying withdrawal. I have not cut in 38 days. I should be stable by now. I am scared because I am starting to thing that I have permanent damage. I am running out of steam here. I have been getting tortured for a year and a half straight now. It is destroying my marriage and I am once again burning sick time at work that I just got this week. Keep in mind I still have not been able to even fully deal with losing my daughter as the doctors starting torturing me almost immediately by giving me these meds to help. I am afraid to updose the mirt as I know it could actually make things worse. I keep telling myself that this too shall pass but I am having trouble believing it. My psychologist wants me to go see a psychiatrist, we all know how that goes. 2 years ago I was a healthy 36 year old. I have lost every aspect of myself over and over again. I need encouragement. I am really struggling here. I don't know what to do. I am sick of the non stop torture. I just want my life back.

So I am kind of terrified here. I got the results back from my covid antibody and they were negative. That scares me because my job is just about the highest level of exposure in the country. I was not afraid of this virus when I was doing well but I am not doing well. I am far far from doing well. I am in rough shape here and I have no idea what the hell is going on. I have c diff which I had last year and suspect has been back for about 6 months. It did not cause a fever before and I don't think it is the cause now. I have been on vancomycin for 10 days so my fever should be gone but it's not. I have been sick for almost a month now. I don't know whether the Remeron taper finally caught up with me or all the stress I am under lately caused a Xanax wave or if I went too low on the Remeron and exposed some underlying withdrawal. I have not cut in 38 days. I should be stable by now. I am scared because I am starting to thing that I have permanent damage. I am running out of steam here. I have been getting tortured for a year and a half straight now. It is destroying my marriage and I am once again burning sick time at work that I just got this week. Keep in mind I still have not been able to even fully deal with losing my daughter as the doctors starting torturing me almost immediately by giving me these meds to help. I am afraid to updose the mirt as I know it could actually make things worse. I keep telling myself that this too shall pass but I am having trouble believing it. My psychologist wants me to go see a psychiatrist, we all know how that goes. 2 years ago I was a healthy 36 year old. I have lost every aspect of myself over and over again. I need encouragement. I am really struggling here. I don't know what to do. I am sick of the non stop torture. I just want my life back.

Since I am new on this thread I don't know your whole story. Cdiff though can be very difficult to manage. My son has Crohn's and while we have not experienced that I have seen horror stories. I would think that could cause a fever and alot of ongoing issues. I don't know the background of losing your daughter, I am incredibly sorry for that loss, but I know that grief can also cause issues, maybe the whole trauma with COVID is triggering you. Can you also possibly have COVID? I see you had an antibody test but maybe you still have ongoing infection? Please take care of yourself. Maybe a slight updose in the mirt would help and then just hold for a while until you are passed the cdiff and life in general for all of us is better with all of this.

Since I am new on this thread I don't know your whole story. Cdiff though can be very difficult to manage. My son has Crohn's and while we have not experienced that I have seen horror stories. I would think that could cause a fever and alot of ongoing issues. I don't know the background of losing your daughter, I am incredibly sorry for that loss, but I know that grief can also cause issues, maybe the whole trauma with COVID is triggering you. Can you also possibly have COVID? I see you had an antibody test but maybe you still have ongoing infection? Please take care of yourself. Maybe a slight updose in the mirt would help and then just hold for a while until you are passed the cdiff and life in general for all of us is better with all of this.

I am hesitant to try updosing because I have seen that backfire on others here. I also might be getting worse due to being on the vancomycin. I tolerated it well last time but I went on it when I was asymptomatic. Not the case at all this time around. I will definitely wait to finish the vanco on Wednesday and then see if I feel any better once I am off it.

So sorry for the rough patches, Jack. But i am sure you havent been damaged, you said you were to go a wedding in the past. You had remarkably good times most of us havent experienced after w/. So dont lose hope and try to distract. This will pass, also. Updosing doesnt make sense for the people who are far from cuts, to me. If you have had it 7 days before, so i d say it may be useful to make an uptick. What s your most disturbing sx? Fever? It is interesting. If you said anx. or any other, i would say the things caught up you. I said before to communicate with member B Strong. Because he was saying he had fever while using Remeron. But i dont know the conditions he had it. In these days, i am having also a shitty process in which i hope i am healing...

Hi everyone!

Sharkie, I too have food and supplement issues so I just avoid them for now. I can’t emphasize enough to go slow. I’ve read so many others stories and Mirtezapine isn’t a drug to hurry. I’m not saying that some people can’t come of faster but if you already don’t feel well it just makes sense to me that slower is better. Some start out slower and realize they can speed it up. I just cut last night and today my breathing is harder but still tolerable. Not doing much today.  Hang in there Sharkie. You’ll get there. :smitten:

Hi Jack, I’m so sorry you are struggling so much. Is the vancomycin a strong Antibiotic? Anything like that would mess me up for sure. How big are your cuts if you don’t mind me asking? You’ll get there Jack. Please don’t be discouraged. There is so much going on right now in the world that that just makes everything so much harder. I have to give you a lot of praise that you are even able to go to work with all you are dealing with.  :smitten:

Jackie :smitten:

My wife was put on 45mg Mirt at an inpatient detox place for benzo withdrawal. The psychiatrist said it was for major depression and GAD but i believe it was all benzo withdrawal symptoms since she never had MDD or GAD before. How can you argue with a psychiatrist.... impossible.

Has anyone come off 45mg Remeron successfully after benzo withdrawal? If so what was your experience? My wife won't listen to me about meds even though i do a ton of research. She will only listen to her dr which I fear will lead to more meds and issues in the long term.

My concern is the dr will taper her off to quickly. He took her off gabapentin 900MG in like 3 weeks. Somehow she didn't have any adverse reactions to that. I'm wondering if the Mirt is masking everything (benzo & gab withdrawal)?

My wife was put on 45mg Mirt at an inpatient detox place for benzo withdrawal. The psychiatrist said it was for major depression and GAD but i believe it was all benzo withdrawal symptoms since she never had MDD or GAD before. How can you argue with a psychiatrist.... impossible.

Has anyone come off 45mg Remeron successfully after benzo withdrawal? If so what was your experience? My wife won't listen to me about meds even though i do a ton of research. She will only listen to her dr which I fear will lead to more meds and issues in the long term.

My concern is the dr will taper her off to quickly. He took her off gabapentin 900MG in like 3 weeks. Somehow she didn't have any adverse reactions to that. I'm wondering if the Mirt is masking everything (benzo & gab withdrawal)?

Most importantly right now, how is she doing on the Remeron. Is she acting normal? Is her anxiety under control? Is she sleeping well? Is she active? As the psychiatrists say “How is she presenting?”.

I would say she’s “presenting” well, but our marriage sucks. It seems she’s lost all emotions and feelings for me. I’ve read a lot about that happening from antidepressants.

I would say she’s “presenting” well, but our marriage sucks. It seems she’s lost all emotions and feelings for me. I’ve read a lot about that happening from antidepressants.

I am sure she haven't lose emotions about you, because the drugs converted her to another person who isn't. Absolutely, she isn't real "she". How happy for her she has a conscious husband like you and how happy for you, you have had some research about these issues. Because surroundings near us mostly dont consider wd as a big problem an accuse us being wrong somethings in our head. You havent choose this way and i see you have the power to tackle this. Now what you should is to convince her she is living some wd issues and this'll take a remarkable time. More and more, you may need some support with some benzo and AD-wise counselors. Of course benzobuddies is a real inspiration for the people who lives this process.

Yes, there are lots of people who tackles this issue. Dave, who opens this thread and courages people, he comes in the first lines, won this tackle after a harsh withdrawal of benzos when you search this thread.

Needless to say, we don't take the responsibility here about tapering or drugs, but if there is something to say about your wife, her CNS seems very sentisized and if she has started remeron less than 1-2 days, you may seek the ways of going through low doses of remeron like 3-4 mg, and of course if it is necessary due to sleep or appetite problems. But, if the usage of remeron went beyond the daily usages, likely a period of 10-15 days,it may require to withdraw safely with a ratio of max. % 10. Low doses aren't such big triggers and sedative. As far as i know, 15 mg and larger doses for remeron are activating. But, most important thing you should consider, dont do a change until her benzo&other drug withdrawals are safely stabilized and she is out of the woods if remeron usage has been for a while like a period as i said before. This is my two cents.