Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hello Jackie?

I was just reading about your mirtz taper by crushing the pill and weighing it?  How do you take the powder?  (In water or ???)

I'm asking because I'm down to 1.8 mgs and am struggling big time.  I have been dry cutting 7.5 pills, but my level of med is all over the place at this low dose and I know I'm not getting consistent levels.  I was dropping .1 mg every week for the longest time...then hit the wall with symptoms at 1.4. 

I did try to go to liquid compounded medicine...but it wasn't the right dose (not sure if it was too high or too low), so back to the cut pill I went.  It's been 2 months on the same dose, but it's never the same.  Each day is a whole new experience of "what dose of med did I get last night"?

Any suggestions??

Hi Diana, I’m pretty low now and am able to just dip my finger and lick it up then drink some water. Do you use a scale to weigh your dose?  One thing that helped me was to crush my pill and grind it very fine then weigh out dose. I would crush several pills and grind up using a mortar. I also calibrate several times to make sure I’m accurate as I can be. The video I’m sending is someone who crushes and weighs her pills. She puts her pills in the mortar and crushes them. I put mine in a pill crusher and then pour in the mortar to continue the crushing process. Yes I probably lose a little bit of powder by doing two crushing steps but not enough to worry about. this is what has been working for me. I felt like this helped me a lot. I wish you well. Let me know if I can help you more.

Jackie :smitten:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jackie. I have been reading your progress log. You are down to your last milligram. How exciting!

Becky :smitten:

Hello,

I jumped from mirt on April 26.  Has anyone who has jumped noticed worsening blurry vision and tinnitus afterwards?  Is this expected?  I had both when tapering from the benzo, but it’s gotten worse since getting off the mirt. 

Hello,

I jumped from mirt on April 26.  Has anyone who has jumped noticed worsening blurry vision and tinnitus afterwards?  Is this expected?  I had both when tapering from the benzo, but it’s gotten worse since getting off the mirt.

I get tinnitus sometimes while tapering. I am not off so I can’t speak to that.

Hello,

I get blurry vision and worse tinnitus when tapering. What did you jump from? Becky.

I started mirt at 4 months post jump after Xanax taper. I’m 22 months off the benzo.  Weight loss and insomnia was so severe and it helped with sleep and appetite.  I was on it for 8 months at 7.5 mg and then started my taper.  I had a compounded solution of 7.5 mg /5 ml and I dropped .1 ml every week.  Went well except when benzo setbacks and waves made it worse.  Right now my biggest symptoms are blurry vision, brain fog, tinnitus, head pressure / headache, lump in throat and burning tongue.  It’s not really interfering with my activity, I’m just uncomfortable.  I had all of these during my taper and post jump from the benzo, but it’s gotten worse since my jump from the mirt, especially the last few days.  I’m sure I’m still having some withdrawal from the benzo too.  Gratefully, my sleep has been pretty good and the weight (I gained 40 lbs) is starting to fall off.

Hi Becky! Yes below 1Mg!!! I’m ecstatic!!! I’m soooooooooo ready to be done. Thank you for asking. How are you doing?

[65...]

I started mirt at 4 months post jump after Xanax taper. I’m 22 months off the benzo.  Weight loss and insomnia was so severe and it helped with sleep and appetite.  I was on it for 8 months at 7.5 mg and then started my taper.  I had a compounded solution of 7.5 mg /5 ml and I dropped .1 ml every week.  Went well except when benzo setbacks and waves made it worse.  Right now my biggest symptoms are blurry vision, brain fog, tinnitus, head pressure / headache, lump in throat and burning tongue.  It’s not really interfering with my activity, I’m just uncomfortable.  I had all of these during my taper and post jump from the benzo, but it’s gotten worse since my jump from the mirt, especially the last few days.  I’m sure I’m still having some withdrawal from the benzo too.  Gratefully, my sleep has been pretty good and the weight (I gained 40 lbs) is starting to fall off.

What did the .1ml a week equal in mg?

Hi Becky! Yes below 1Mg!!! I’m ecstatic!!! I’m soooooooooo ready to be done. Thank you for asking. How are you doing?

Hi Jackie. I just really started in April. Like you I found I can only cut once a month since it hits me on the second week harder. Can you believe that? What a garbage med.

I am down to 7.25 mg. I am only going to cut .2 mg each month, since tapering .1 cut and .15 cut both got me. So I'll push it to .2 mg each month. I wish I could go faster, but my brain has something else in mind. You're going to be fine. You're just winding down.

Becky  :smitten:

You know it's all withdrawal with windows and waves. As long as you can handle the symptoms they will all improve with some time. I hope you feel better soon.

Bekcy

Hi Sharkie. Sorry it has been awhile since I was on last. Trying to keep busy so I’m not thinking so much about all the bad stuff. When I started my Remeron taper I was so scared because of what everyone else had been through. I too had C/T off a benzo, ( Lorazepam ) and wanted that far behind me. So I waited for I believe 2 1/2 - 3 years before I started my Remeron taper. I was on 3.75Mg. I spoke to many people on BenzoBuddies and Surviving Antidepressants as well as some Facebook groups. One of the things I was told was to make sure I was pretty well healed from my benzo. I was also told to not overthink it. That was the best advice for me.

When I first started I would cut my pill and weigh out my pieces but as I started getting lower I realized that I wasn’t getting all the medication in my piece so at that point I started crushing my 15Mg pill in a pill crusher and then using a mortar and pestle I was able to grind it further. Did I lose medication? Maybe a little but I decided not to worry about that. I know that some people crush several pill but I don’t. I bought a very tiny spoon or measuring type spoon from Amazon. I use that to sprinkle the powder in the bowl on my scale. Now that I’m lower it takes a bit for the scale to except the weight but it does. It takes patience. I then take the bowl of powder and put the powder in a pill case. If you want you could just weigh your dose everyday but I just want it done.

I think it’s important to not get to worked up about losing powder. Remeron has a longer half life and if you take your time you’ll be alright. I did similar when I tapered Valium. I’ll help you in any way I can. Just let me know. When you starting and at what Mg? Also 5, 10% a month is good, IMO.

Jackie  :smitten:

I know this was meant for Sharkie but could you list what kind of scale you have and little spoon? And what is a pill case? Do you mix the powder in water and take it? I'm so confused.  I tapered off Clonazepam but mixed mine in liquid so this scale method is new to me.  Been off Benzos for three months now.  I'm going to start my Mirt taper very soon.  Thanks so much!!

Hi BUddies Tapering Off Mirtazapine. I’ve not been here for a while. In large part because I ended up in the Hospital in March due to development of Afib and all the tests and follow up since then has kept me preoccupied. They’ve been trying me on different meds to deal with it and my system has been on a roller coaster. I’ve still been tapering the mirtazapine while all this has been going on. Overall I’ve been feeling pretty crummy and who knows what’s causing what. I’m now down to 0.1mg of mirtazapine. Another week-10 days and I will end this lonnngggg drudgery of a taper. I will no longer have any psychotropics in my system and hopefully will begin to start feeling better.

Paul.

Hi BUddies Tapering Off Mirtazapine. I’ve not been here for a while. In large part because I ended up in the Hospital in March due to development of Afib and all the tests and follow up since then has kept me preoccupied. They’ve been trying me on different meds to deal with it and my system has been on a roller coaster. I’ve still been tapering the mirtazapine while all this has been going on. Overall I’ve been feeling pretty crummy and who knows what’s causing what. I’m now down to 0.1mg of mirtazapine. Another week-10 days and I will end this lonnngggg drudgery of a taper. I will no longer have any psychotropics in my system and hopefully will begin to start feeling better.

Paul.

I was just thinking about you when I saw the comment alert in my email. Glad to hear you are okay. Wow, you are so close. That’s great news. I hope you can get the afib under control. I would not be surprised at all if it resolves after you are off the mirt but who knows.

Paul.

Aaah the end of the taper. That is such good news. You will heal faster and feel better once all the mirt is gone. I hope you get the afib sorted soon. I'm suspicious too that mirt could have an effect. Becky.

Pokey, glad to hear that you ll be off soon. I hope and pray God will present the off and peaceful days all the buddies around here. You struggled too much, but it will be worth to do this long journey...

Thanks everyone. Ill check back in periodically to see how everyone is doing and let you know how I am being off and with the AFIB. You all take care. Stay safe, well and wishing you peace of mind and body  :smitten: :smitten:

Paul aka Pokey

Hi everyone,

Hi Becky, I think you’re being smart with your taper. One day at a time yet feels like forever that I’ve been tapering. Gotta do what works for each one of us. Glad to hear you have started.

Pokey, so good to hear from you. Healing is coming your way. I was wondering what happened to you.

Raquel, No problem. I use the American Weigh scale Gemini Series Precision Digital Milligram Scale, Silver 20G x 0.001G ( Gemini-20 ) (Silver) from Amazon and I use Mini Stainless Steal Measuring Spoon Sets from Amazon also. I also use a small mortar and pestle. I just use a pill case that I can see through. Like a 7 day or 14 day. I wet my fingers and dip in powder, take a drink after. This works well for me. I don’t use a box like she does in the video. I’m sure you will do great and Congratulations on your Benzo taper. I wish you the best!

I need help and information, please.

Does Mirtazapine withdrawal cause IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)? I jumped off my last dose of 3.75mg two days ago and now for two days I'm experiencing intense IBS that has me laying in a fetal position and running to the bathroom every 15 minutes. It's triggered as soon as I eat and right now my diet is extremely clean.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I need help and information, please.

Does Mirtazapine withdrawal cause IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)? I jumped off my last dose of 3.75mg two days ago and now for two days I'm experiencing intense IBS that has me laying in a fetal position and running to the bathroom every 15 minutes. It's triggered as soon as I eat and right now my diet is extremely clean.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Well, I have had IBS for 20 years on and off. I wouldn’t say it causes ibs but it does cause symptoms very similar to ibs. In some ways it is actually more intense than regular ibs. But yes, mirt withdrawal causes some pretty intense digestive symptoms.

I should also advise you that Mirtazapine significantly increases your chances of contracting c diff infection. I have had two c diff infections so far while on Mirtazapine. It might be worth checking with your doctor just to be sure. But mirt can cause these issues with or without an infection.

This is one of the reasons I want to get off of Mirt. I have been getting a lot of infections while on Mirt. I read about the C diff also. It's got to go! Becky

Thanks, Jack. I will keep the C. difficile in mind and be watchful for more symptoms that resemble that but right now I don't think that's what it is. Anyone else having bowel issues from quitting or tapering from Mirtazapine? Is this common or is it rare?

Becky, did you have a C. difficile infection?

No, I did not, but I seem to pick up plenty of viral and bacterial infections, sometimes one after the other. I had a failed Mirt taper when I just was cutting/weighing my pill. I had plenty of loose stools, more than I've ever had before. So yes what you are experiencing is from the Mirt. When I reinstated the Mirt it all went away. Your jump was too high IMO. I'm going down to .1 mg. Becky.

Hi DJ100,

I jumped 22 days ago from a 10 month taper from 7.5 mg. and I did have IBS symptoms during my taper and after my jump.  It went away a few days ago.  It wasn’t as bad as you are describing, but if you tapered too quickly I don’t doubt it would be worse. My taper was very slow.  I pray you have peace and full healing soon as I do for all of you here. 

I checked in with you all a few days ago with worsening brain fog, blurry vision and tinnitus.  It all lifted 24 hours later and I’m feeling MUCH better.  No other way to describe it other than I “feel unmedicated” for the first time in over 5 years.  Thank you all who responded to my post last week.  I appreciate you!