Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anxiety After Klonopin Withdrawl

[Re...]

I’ve been off Klonopin for over a month. Was on a max of .5mg twice daily for maybe 10 years, but usually only took it .5mg or .25mg  once daily as needed for sleep or anxiety.  

I didn’t take it every day, so I really didn’t think I’d have any problems stopping it. I tapered haphazardly over a 6 month period. Didn’t learn about the Maudsley deprescribing methods or Ashton Manual or any of the issues with protracted withdrawl, BINDS, etc. until AFTER I was almost completely off Klonopin.  But, I soon learned first hand about Benzo Belly, and the rest of the lingering symptoms of withdrawl. 

My biggest problem now is waking up around 4 or 5am with very high anxiety, which just kinda stays with me all day. I describe it as like a cat purring, but not because he’s happy.  What is that all about?  I’ve completely cut out my morning coffee and all sources of caffeine. 

Some days I take 1 or 2 Benadryl to try to defuse the constant feeling of anxiety. I saw Benadryl recommended in the Ashton Manual, because it does not affect the GABA system like benzos do. Benadryl used to knock me out, but now it’s almost like taking nothing.

I’ve read on Benzoinfo.com in their “Potentially Dangerous Substances List”  to possibly avoid most of the substances I’ve been using to help the anxiety. Lemon Balm tea, chamomile tea, GABA supplements, Ashwagsnda, ibuprofen, etc. So, my question is what can I do about this feeling of anxiety, how long will it last, is it normal after complete withdrawal?  
Thanks. 

[...]

Hi, @[Re...]! Welcome to Benzobuddies!) I'm sure you'll find all the necessary information you need here and plenty of support and sharing. It's so crucial to be among people who understand you to the full bc of their own experience.

One month in benzo withdrawal can most likely be a very hard time and morning anxiety is a very common symptom. I'm sure you'll have lots of replies to the point. 

Wish you steady healing!

• Like 2

[Le...]

think the body starts boosting cortisol as you approach waking and trigger this. it gets less over time but i think your body is overreacting to it. 

• Like 2

[jo...]

Hi, My worst symptom, and very common. you'll find that everyone's pattern of recovery, severity of symptoms, and timeline for recovery can be vastly different. But in general, anxiety becomes less severe and frequent after the acute phase of withdrawl which is usually between 1 and 3 months, sometimes more sometimes less.

Mine comes in waves at three and a half months out. It can be intense but does subside now as opposed to being relentless for days on end which is what it sounds like your experiencing now. I wish I could give you a magic cure but in my experience only time makes it pass. But it does eventually pass. Trust me. It's very common.

• Like 3

[Ja...]

Yea I had this yesterday,like a 3 hr panic attack b4 my first dose,.and today to as I went to leave the house,.a flood of fear I couldn’t shake,.a good walk b4 helped,.it’s strange how it can subside at night to.

• Like 1

[jo...]
7 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Yea I had this yesterday,like a 3 hr panic attack b4 my first dose,.and today to as I went to leave the house,.a flood of fear I couldn’t shake,.a good walk b4 helped,.it’s strange how it can subside at night to.

Mine subsides at night too which is a blessing if it's been attacking you all day. It's like...phew!!! 

• Like 1

[st...]

Hi, I had that too, it's completely normal after being off. At 4 am I would put on headphones and listen to audiobooks, which helped to focus on something. I didn't take anything for it and it went away after a few months. You're doing great.

• Like 3

[Le...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

I’ve been off Klonopin for over a month. Was on a max of .5mg twice daily for maybe 10 years, but usually only took it .5mg or .25mg  once daily as needed for sleep or anxiety.  

I didn’t take it every day, so I really didn’t think I’d have any problems stopping it. I tapered haphazardly over a 6 month period. Didn’t learn about the Maudsley deprescribing methods or Ashton Manual or any of the issues with protracted withdrawl, BINDS, etc. until AFTER I was almost completely off Klonopin.  But, I soon learned first hand about Benzo Belly, and the rest of the lingering symptoms of withdrawl. 

My biggest problem now is waking up around 4 or 5am with very high anxiety, which just kinda stays with me all day. I describe it as like a cat purring, but not because he’s happy.  What is that all about?  I’ve completely cut out my morning coffee and all sources of caffeine. 

Some days I take 1 or 2 Benadryl to try to defuse the constant feeling of anxiety. I saw Benadryl recommended in the Ashton Manual, because it does not affect the GABA system like benzos do. Benadryl used to knock me out, but now it’s almost like taking nothing.

I’ve read on Benzoinfo.com in their “Potentially Dangerous Substances List”  to possibly avoid most of the substances I’ve been using to help the anxiety. Lemon Balm tea, chamomile tea, GABA supplements, Ashwagsnda, ibuprofen, etc. So, my question is what can I do about this feeling of anxiety, how long will it last, is it normal after complete withdrawal?  
Thanks. 

this long acting benzo is very confusing and the most dangerous. taking it lasts for days and the addiction is very thorough. 

• Like 1

[En...]

Yes anxiety in the mornings is the worst. I used to wake up at 3am and get out of bed and sit on the couch doing breathing exercises to no avail only to watch the sun slowly rise in the morning. I would be in a zombie state all day from lack of sleep which would ramp up my anxiety and OCD. I would listen to the thermostat click on and off for the furnace and get anxiety over the furnace.  I would hear the fridge in the kitchen come on and worry about it breaking down. I would sit in the dark with the TV off it was very quiet. I could hear a these appliances operating and it drove me insane with inner thoughts. My anxiety would start to rise until the sun rose and I would think I didnt sleep at all last night even though I would try. Breathing exercises did nothing for my anxiety. I was on 2mg clonazepam the worst time of my life. I couldn't start to taper off until my anxiety was stabilized. Took an antipsychotic to do that as I tried a few different antidepressants only to fail to the side effects. Took 3 months to finally stabilize on an antipsychotic so I could taper. I choke these meds down nightly. I hate being on these meds. The antipsychotic took my personality and motivation away but also helped my anxiety so I could taper. It's a double edged sword. I look forward to the day I am med free and no more Dr appointments. 

• Like 1

[Ja...]

Jonwil totally bud,.if I can get through this with a least having a bit of time at night feeling semi norm,it might just be manageable 

• Like 2

[Re...]

I can’t figure out how to respond to someone’s reply. But thank you all for responding. It helps so much to hear others say they experience the same thing. 

My anxiety also subsides at night. I assume it’s because I know I can go to sleep?  But maybe it’s the morning cortisol finally diminishing?  I don’t know how that works.  I wish my doctor had a clue.  And I do still take a 5mg Ambien nightly for sleep. I had read to taper sleep meds last, so as to be sure to get sleep while decreasing any other psych med.  Thank God I read that!  I’ve tried halving the Ambien now and then, but I’m being very careful to guard my sleep. 

[PE...]
1 minute ago, [[R...] said:

I can’t figure out how to respond to someone’s reply. But thank you all for responding. It helps so much to hear others say they experience the same thing. 

My anxiety also subsides at night. I assume it’s because I know I can go to sleep?  But maybe it’s the morning cortisol finally diminishing?  I don’t know how that works.  I wish my doctor had a clue.  And I do still take a 5mg Ambien nightly for sleep. I had read to taper sleep meds last, so as to be sure to get sleep while decreasing any other psych med.  Thank God I read that!  I’ve tried halving the Ambien now and then, but I’m being very careful to guard my sleep. 

No it seems to be the nature of withdrawal anxiety. Many reports that the get better as the day passes by. I only have minor anxiety when i wake up now. It was like you have.

• Like 2

[jo...]
2 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Yeah sleeps a real issue even if the anxiety has gone at nigh.

• Like 2

[Ja...]

Eng101,.I know how you feel bud,.I got of the mood stabilisers & anti ds last year after to mutch depersonalisation,.even the way I walked became different,.I used the benzo to get over it and it worked,.I’m thinking about medical cannabis/Cbd gummies for sleep when it gets rough.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Le...]
41 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

this long acting benzo is very confusing and the most dangerous. taking it lasts for days and the addiction is very thorough. 

sorry. my post was to tell you that you can have some physical addiction from less frequent use with long actinf benzos. not so bad likely and you will be ok soon. 

• Like 1

[PE...]
6 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Eng101,.I know how you feel bud,.I got of the mood stabilisers & anti ds last year after to mutch depersonalisation,.even the way I walked became different,.I used the benzo to get over it and it worked,.I’m thinking about medical cannabis/Cbd gummies for sleep when it gets rough.

Yes it's the less damaging sleeping aid there is. Actually I don't know any side-effects, except mabey getting hungry 

I'm getting a vape next month with THCH from a indica strain. I have big hopes for it as i have real problem falling asleep atm. When i have fallen asleep I'm good. But can spend 10+ hours a day trying to sleep. That's not hiw i want to spend my life.

In sweden you can get pills with THC on sub. But not for insomnia yet. But benzos and AD that fucks you up big time is ok lol.

THCH is legal in EU. I don't want to order weed on the darkweb and all that hassle. I'm a pro marijuana person but don't smoke myself. I did as a kid.

[Ja...]

Yea peppe the indica definitely helps with sleep man,.I was having a smoke a month back just for a few nights,.but yea it’s available in the uk privately now,takes a few £ to get the consolation after getting your med records,.I know a few folk that get it bud

• Like 1

[PE...]
5 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Yea peppe the indica definitely helps with sleep man,.I was having a smoke a month back just for a few nights,.but yea it’s available in the uk privately now,takes a few £ to get the consolation after getting your med records,.I know a few folk that get it bud

I live in a stupid country that gives out suboxone to anyone that wants but not subscribing marijuana to people with insomnia. Though it's common knowledge it helps. It's belived here if I smoke marijuana i will start with heroine. 

I get mad thinking about it. 

[Re...]
1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

Yes!  Some mornings I wake up with a full blown panic attack for no reason, nothing on my mind, no stress in my life that day. First time it happened I scrambled to find online info, downloaded an app for panic attacks, did all the breathing and self talk I could, but literally nothing helped except time. That was scary.  Thankfully I don’t usually wake up with a full blown panic attack. More like just wide awake at 4am, engine way too revved up and ready to run.

I’ve learned to not try to self analyze and look for a psychological reason for the panic/anxiety if there really isn’t an obvious one, and to tell myself it’s physiological/body/brain and to just ride it out, read, listen to something online, make a caffeine free hot herbal tea, take a Benadryl or two or exercise later in the morning. Maybe I’d do better to exercise as soon as I wake up feeling like that in the morning?  I don’t think to do that.  My first instinct is to try to calm down that rush of energy, because it just doesn’t feel natural waking up to that so early in the morning. 

Does anyone know of any online info/studies about this early morning cortisol surge and Benzo withdrawal, or is it just anecdotal reports by people on support groups and their common lived experiences that we have to go by?  My doctors want to go straight to it’s your old symptoms coming back, but my husband says it’s nothing like that.  And I know it’s not the same at all.  My anxiety before benzos was always very clearly connected to life events, not free floating all day like this.  And not early morning waking in a panic.

• Like 1

[Le...]
52 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I live in a stupid country that gives out suboxone to anyone that wants but not subscribing marijuana to people with insomnia. Though it's common knowledge it helps. It's belived here if I smoke marijuana i will start with heroine. 

I get mad thinking about it. 

like everything it helps in the short term only. and if used while already anxious or anxious about smoking it often has the opposite effect.  maybe you cant control your thoughts even more on it. idk. i tried and day 1 freaked out a bit. day 2 kinda calming. everyday after increasing anxiety. not a fan but i have a lot going on that would affect it too. 

[jo...]
6 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Yes!  Some mornings I wake up with a full blown panic attack for no reason, nothing on my mind, no stress in my life that day. First time it happened I scrambled to find online info, downloaded an app for panic attacks, did all the breathing and self talk I could, but literally nothing helped except time. That was scary.  Thankfully I don’t usually wake up with a full blown panic attack. More like just wide awake at 4am, engine way too revved up and ready to run.

I’ve learned to not try to self analyze and look for a psychological reason for the panic/anxiety if there really isn’t an obvious one, and to tell myself it’s physiological/body/brain and to just ride it out, read, listen to something online, make a caffeine free hot herbal tea, take a Benadryl or two or exercise later in the morning. Maybe I’d do better to exercise as soon as I wake up feeling like that in the morning?  I don’t think to do that.  My first instinct is to try to calm down that rush of energy, because it just doesn’t feel natural waking up to that so early in the morning. 

Does anyone know of any online info/studies about this early morning cortisol surge and Benzo withdrawal, or is it just anecdotal reports by people on support groups and their common lived experiences that we have to go by?  My doctors want to go straight to it’s your old symptoms coming back, but my husband says it’s nothing like that.  And I know it’s not the same at all.  My anxiety before benzos was always very clearly connected to life events, not free floating all day like this.  And not early morning waking in a panic.

it's not an old issue cropping up trust me it's withdrawl. Almost everyone gets this symptom. It's not like 'normal' anxiety that is brought on by some kind of external factor it's just there and it will go away when it want's to there's nothing much you can do about it. You can only try and distract yourself from it. Some excercise, do puzzles, play video games etc. Some go to work! It's a nightmare symptome but it does get less frequent and eventually goes away. At this point, if I'm not in a wave of symptoms, I get it for around 20 mins in the morning and then it pretty much leaves me alone the rest of the day. Some days it's not there at all! 

• Like 2

[PE...]
2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

like everything it helps in the short term only. and if used while already anxious or anxious about smoking it often has the opposite effect.  maybe you cant control your thoughts even more on it. idk. i tried and day 1 freaked out a bit. day 2 kinda calming. everyday after increasing anxiety. not a fan but i have a lot going on that would affect it too. 

Yeah I know I use to smoke alot in high-school. 

My anxiety is almost gone so i think i be fine.

I have to try something. I get quentapine but that stuff only works in really high doses on me. Also it fucks the brain to much. 

[En...]
2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

it's not an old issue cropping up trust me it's withdrawl. Almost everyone gets this symptom. It's not like 'normal' anxiety that is brought on by some kind of external factor it's just there and it will go away when it want's to there's nothing much you can do about it. You can only try and distract yourself from it. Some excercise, do puzzles, play video games etc. Some go to work! It's a nightmare symptome but it does get less frequent and eventually goes away. At this point, if I'm not in a wave of symptoms, I get it for around 20 mins in the morning and then it pretty much leaves me alone the rest of the day. Some days it's not there at all! 

I find going for a walk helps. It also gives me a sense of accomplishment even if it is false. Mornings are always the worst when you go through withdrawal. Cortisol levels are the highest that's the hormone that wakes you up. I find as the day goes on the anxiety lessens. Distraction is the best medicine. Keep your mind busy to pass the time. Especially the early hours. I go to bed at night thinking I have to do this all over again tomorrow. 

• Like 3

[Le...]

exhausting yourself with the exercise you can do is helpful :)

• Like 2

[Re...]
49 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I find going for a walk helps. It also gives me a sense of accomplishment even if it is false. Mornings are always the worst when you go through withdrawal. Cortisol levels are the highest that's the hormone that wakes you up. I find as the day goes on the anxiety lessens. Distraction is the best medicine. Keep your mind busy to pass the time. Especially the early hours. I go to bed at night thinking I have to do this all over again tomorrow. 

Groundhog Day! 

• Like 1