Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  446 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Emergency dental appointment

[Ga...]

[Ga...]

Good morning all!  I woke up this morning with part of a tooth missing and am making an emergency dental appointment.  I haven’t been to the dentist in a long time, so would like to get some input on what numbing or other needed medicines to steer clear of!  Definitely don’t want to raise the sleeping tiger!!!

Thanks!

GG

[Na...]

I’ve had no issues with getting fillings replaced and the use of local anesthetics whatsoever. Nothing beyond the normal experience of having a filling done which no one looks forward to but we all survive.

You’ll be fine 👍

[Ga...]

Thanks so much Nathan.  I am concerned because there have been more than a few buddies reporting issues with epinephrine?  I think it was Trina75 who had such a bad reaction that her husband had to come pick her up and wheel her out in a wheelchair.  I noticed that my new dentist has used Valium or Versed for a calming med, so I know to tell her NO on those.  Geez, if it isn’t one thing it’s another!

Hugs,

GG

[Ma...]

Try to stay away from novicaine as it has epinephrine that a lot of us respond to extremely negatively. I believe lidocaine is what most use.

Also, if they suggest the dreaded antibiotic use a warm salt rinse.

[Ga...]

Thanks, Mary.   I sure hope I don’t need an antibiotic….how would they know if I have an infection?  Will definitely tell them not to give me anything with epinephrine!!!!   What were you given???

GG

[Ma...]

Lidocaine. They’ll try to preempt an infection with an antibiotic so just decline for now & use warm salt rinses-IMO.

[Ga...]

In and out quickly as it was determined with an X-Ray that I need to see an oral surgeon as there is nothing left to attach a new crown to.  I was given the name of an excellent oral surgeon who will remove what needs to be removed, and then I will return to my dentist to have a crown put in.  The dentist said that as of right now there is nothing urgent, so I will probably go ahead with whatever knee treatment is prescribed by my orthopedist on Friday….I have a torn meniscus!!!!

Have the best day you can!!!

GG

[Ma...]

If you need dental surgery sedation, I recommend asking for propofol and strongly tell them no Versed.

My dentist did.not.listen (natch) late February and I am just now recovering.

You might also want to do the salt rinses now as it can help any discomfort and ward away an infection as you wait.

Luck!!

[Ga...]

Mary, everything is on hold; my dentist took an X-Ray and determined that there is no emergency and gave me a referral to an oral surgeon, as I need to have the small area where the crown was surgically cut out, and she can then put a new crown in.  And, yes, I would request propofol as I have had it before several times.  I was given Versed back in 2020, and it really set me back.  At that time I was not aware of all the issues with benzos, and just went blindly along with what the surgeon deemed appropriate.  My dentist agreed that it was more important to get my meniscus tear on my right knee taken care of.  I will see my orthopedic doctor on Friday and he will decide how to proceed.  I also have lots of arthritis in that knee which is painful, so I will look forward to getting whatever needs to be done to “fix” my knee, so I can stop hobbling around and get back to gardening, which is my most favorite thing to do!!!

Healing hugs,

GG

[Be...]

I had Novocaine for all the drilling on my teeth Monday and it didn't bother me at all. 

[Ga...]

Thanks, Becks.  Good for you for taking action and getting your teeth back to good health!!!!   You are doing things that seemed almost impossible two years ago!!!

GG