Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi Becky,

I was on 7.5 mg for 8 months.  I started my taper the end of last June and jumped April 26.  It took 10 months. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[d5...]

Need advice about which drug to taper first, Valium or Mirtz?  I had to reinstate Mirtz because of horrible w/d symptoms. This time,it wil be very slow.  Thank you.

Need advice about which drug to taper first, Valium or Mirtz?  I had to reinstate Mirtz because of horrible w/d symptoms. This time,it wil be very slow.  Thank you.

Taper valium first. I say this because benzos have things like paradoxical effect and interdose withdrawal and the horrific tolerance withdrawal like I went through that make tapering a nightmare. Remeron will help smooth some of that out during your benzo taper. As much as mirt withdrawal sucks I have found it to be much more predictable and consistent and controllable. If you stop mirt first and then hit tolerance during your benzo taper you’ll be stuck. That is my two cents.

Hi Lookinup. Well when I was on Ambien, trazodone and mirtazapine I asked myself which one was the most damaging to me. I knew it was Ambien so I tapered that first. With trazodone and mirt left I asked the same question. Trazodone felt more toxic/more side effects so that went second. Now it's Mirt's turn. I know some sites say taper the AD first and others say benzo, but I feel it's an individual decision.

Which med do you feel you should taper first? Mirt will give you sleep as you taper the valium. Are you still taking seroquel?  Good luck whatever you decide.

Becky  :smitten:

If I recall, the Ashton manual says that depression can set in a couple of months after jumping from the benzo.  This is what happened to me.  By month 3 after jumping I was in a severe depression, was barely sleeping, and had lost a dangerous amount of weight due to complete loss of appetite.  My symptoms became much worse weeks/months after jumping.  I did not want to go on another medication, but low dose remeron (7.5mg). saved my life. The remeron helped immediately with sleep and improving my appetite.  As the days went by, I noticed that it helped with my anxiety as well,  not completely taking it away, but it wasn’t so crippling.  I suggest getting off the benzo first.  That way the remeron can cover you if your symptoms get too bad after you jump from the Valium.

[d5...]

Hi Lookinup. Well when I was on Ambien, trazodone and mirtazapine I asked myself which one was the most damaging to me. I knew it was Ambien so I tapered that first. With trazodone and mirt left I asked the same question. Trazodone felt more toxic/more side effects so that went second. Now it's Mirt's turn. I know some sites say taper the AD first and others say benzo, but I feel it's an individual decision.

Which med do you feel you should taper first? Mirt will give you sleep as you taper the valium. Are you still taking seroquel?  Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks, Becky. I am so confused.  One psy said with valium on board, have support to taper mirt since I had a really hard time trying to d/c last year. Another one said get off valium first.  Yes, still on Seroquel so getting sleep, another reason one said to get off Remeron first— ugh!

[d5...]

I would like to be off both!  But I know it is right to do only one at a time. I fee like I am getting side effects from Remeron, but I am afraid of developing tolerance with the V eventually.  So, maybe it is the Valium that needs to be addressed first?

Thank you for your input.

[d5...]

I would do valium first if I were you. Do you plan to taper the seroquel eventually?

Becky

Yes, not sure when, but would like t get rid of that.  I’m not sure the Remeron is doing anything for  sleep anymore. It is most likely coming from the Seroquel.  I already feel like Valiumis becoming paradoxical—getting increased hr after taking it. Don’t want any issues with that.  Maybe that is the answer then, but I hate Remeron.  For me,it is very difficult to come off.  Thank you, Becky!  Are you off?  What dose did you taper?

I've really just started tapering my Remeron. I plan to cut in a few days, just .20 mg, then hold for 1 month. It's super slow but it's best for me.  I hate the drug too. My original dose was 7.5 mg. With the cut I will be at 7.05 mg.

Becky

Has anyone had consistent momentary lightheadedness? I feel like I am short of breath too, but I just had a test of my oxygen and it was OK. I am so stressed wearing masks, with mild asthma that it could be the anxiety of it too.

I jumped January after tapering 4 months off of 3.75.

[d5...]

Did you get withdrawal from only tapering 4 months?

Tapering 3.75 mg. At 5% reduction a month will take 18 months!

I feel like it. But how many other things can I factor in and still know why I feel anything: I jumped from Benzos in 2016, lost parents, have a lot of muscle and joint stuff, and I think the corona quarantine is giving me a nervous collapse. (not totally) plus the unspeakable that we all have. I feel like I have maximum anxiety with no way to know what it is, or if it's temporary.

I was on 3.75 for 5 years and I just had to get off. I had a Dr tell me to just stop but I thought 4 months was a good medium. I didn't want to take years if I didn't have to.

I still have two more meds to drop, but it's hard to feel poised to do anything.

Has anyone had consistent momentary lightheadedness? I feel like I am short of breath too, but I just had a test of my oxygen and it was OK. I am so stressed wearing masks, with mild asthma that it could be the anxiety of it too.

Yes I have had both while tapering. I've felt weak and dizzy and a bit faint. Shortness of breath they call it here air hunger. I have had it tapering the previous AD and now Mirt. It's totally normal so don't worry about it. I wish you luck and hope w/d ends quickly for you.

Becky :smitten:

Thanks, Becky. I am so confused.  One psy said with valium on board, have support to taper mirt since I had a really hard time trying to d/c last year. Another one said get off valium first.  Yes, still on Seroquel so getting sleep, another reason one said to get off Remeron first— ugh!

I am tapering mirt now with plans to taper klonopin later. I have tried and failed over and over to taper the benzo first and was put on mirt to get off of klonopin. That didn't really work too well, I did manage to initially cut half the dose of klonopin then got stuck and had a lot of life stress with a sick child (still going on, two years later) so updosed the K and am only down 25 percent in dose. Unfortunately, I feel the mirtazapine has "pooped out" on me, no longer helping with much at all. I also know that my blood chemistry, triglycerides, blood sugar, are high on the mirt. So that is what I am doing. I have tapered from 15 mg to 12 mg in about six weeks and feel maybe a little more depressed--hard to know as this whole covid situation is beyond depressing and still strict quarantine where I live--and having fatigue come back lower in dose. Still early days in this taper, but this is a walk in the park right now compared to my initial cuts of klonopin, where I could feel every single cut no matter how small. I think that if you are still having Seroquel to sleep, you may be fine getting rid of the mirt first. I now use medical marijuana for sleep and it works better than anything I have ever used, so hopefully when I do my benzo taper that will help me.

[d5...]
Thanks for sharing your situation with Mirt.  It is a tough drug to come off for some and there is a good website dedicated to assisting with w/d.  Slow is the way to go with that.  So you still have the benzo to go as well.  Sometimes seems so overwhelming!  Too bad everything can’t be done at the same time!

Yes I have had both while tapering. I've felt weak and dizzy and a bit faint. Shortness of breath they call it here air hunger. I have had it tapering the previous AD and now Mirt. It's totally normal so don't worry about it. I wish you luck and hope w/d ends quickly for you.

Becky :smitten:

Thanks Becky! 

Yeah I just woke up after sleeping a reasonable amount and I got some spasms. They're not painful but they remind you whose in charge. It's been so long since I jumped it's hard to connect things. But I had a battery of tests the other day and I am "good" so to speak, no strokes, heart stuff or oxygen deprivation. Stay safe!

Thanks Warrior. How was your tapering form?Was it same at all doses? Starting from 7.5 with how much reduction?Under 3.5 how was your reductions and holding times?Did you find it tolerable?

Becky, i am going 0.3 mg reductions for three weeks. I am now at 9.45 mg. It seems like that anx. and depression debilitiates me mostly. I dont understand the ones who go through with aggresive cuts. There are some people who cut 1 mg at 9 mgs for two weeks, then again same. Note that i am still living bad anxiety due to my past medication. Thanks

Hi Juneight,

I get mild depression from tapering the Mirt. It's a common side effect from tapering Mirt.  I just say to myself it's not me, it's the Mirt. It seems to work. Try that and see if it helps.

Becky

[d5...]

I feel like it. But how many other things can I factor in and still know why I feel anything: I jumped from Benzos in 2016, lost parents, have a lot of muscle and joint stuff, and I think the corona quarantine is giving me a nervous collapse. (not totally) plus the unspeakable that we all have. I feel like I have maximum anxiety with no way to know what it is, or if it's temporary.

I was on 3.75 for 5 years and I just had to get off. I had a Dr tell me to just stop but I thought 4 months was a good medium. I didn't want to take years if I didn't have to.

I still have two more meds to drop, but it's hard to feel poised to do anything.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your parents and all you have been through.  Do you feel it helped you get off the benzos?  Keep you chin up, you have conquered a lot!

Hi June,

I was 11 months off the benzo and all my severe symptoms were greatly diminished at the time and I decided to start my taper from the mirt.  That was in June, last summer.  I decided to see what would happen if I cut 25% off my 7.5 mg tablet.  It was a big cut and the withdrawal was bad, but I stuck it out and it took me 6 weeks to stabilize.  After I stabilized, I waited another month and went to my psychiatrist and told her I needed to do a liquid taper.  She wasn't that happy about writing a prescription as she had never done this before.  But, I arrived with a copy of my taper schedule and dosage reduction, which she put in my file.  She had been with me all along during my benzo taper and I had given her the Ashton manual as well as articles and links addressing BWS.  Given all of this, she trusted me and called the compounding pharmacy, and ordered the dosage I asked for (7.5mg/5ml).  I recognize that I was very blessed to have a Dr. that acknowledged what was happening to me and trusted me to withdrawal at my own pace.  Many of them don't, as we all well know.

Anyway, so in September, I started the liquid taper where I had been with the pill, at 5.6 mg.  There were some symptoms when I transitioned to the liquid but it wasn't bad.  After a week or two, I started my taper of .1ml per week  (.15mg I think Jack said, thank you!)  The withdrawal almost always held to the same pattern: 36 hours after the drop, symptoms would start, peak days 3-4 and then start diminishing.  By day 6 I felt stable and I'd drop again on day 7.  I held to this taper schedule the whole time except when I was ill with a cold at Christmas which aggravated my benzo symptoms.  I think I held for three weeks.  Some weeks were not as bad and I'd drop on day 6.  I just listened to my body.  One time I got cocky and dropped on day 5.  That was a hard week.

I did notice an increase in symptoms when I hit 3.75, but it wasn't severe (I compare everything to my withdrawal from the benzo), and I did notice that I became more symptomatic the lower I got. (Mainly fatigue, anxiety, mild depression, restless legs, burning mouth, lump in throat, brain fog, itching and mild IBS)  I didn't feel good, but I was able to live my life, and I took care of myself using all the tools I learned from the benzo withdrawal.

In the end, this reduction worked well for me because I felt like I was making progress faster since I could drop every week instead of every month. 

[d5...]

Hi WarriorforPeace,

I am interested in getting started on a mirt taper also.  Just started a Valium taper though. To you think it was best to get the benzo over with before the Mirtz or should I think about the other way around?

Thanks,

Lookinup

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your parents and all you have been through.  Do you feel it helped you get off the benzos?  Keep you chin up, you have conquered a lot!

Thanks Lookinup! Oh Yeah. You know when I was trying to keep my job and life together (benzo madness) I was dancing with remeron. It helped me to survive this no question at all. It's a demon though. I was only on benzos because of remeron (30mg) discontinuation anyway originally, so I have a deep fear of it.  Stay safe!