Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Medical Cannabis and Cannabis CBD Oil Group

[su...]

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[d4...]

WOW!  THAT'S POWERFUL!  No wonder there are so many variables with cannabis and why some people react as they do and others don't.  It also explains why I am so apprehensive about trying anything.  They are still discovering so many things about this medication that I am not sure I want to spent that kind of time, money, effort, and hope in something that is still so unexplored.  But I guess when  someone is desperate, which I and so many others are, it is sometimes worth the risk????

Thanks for sharing!  We're always learning more and more . . . . . .

Going into my 7th year as a medical cannabis patient, I never stop learning! I'm so thankful that I've had the luxury to experiment (financially, availability of products, those who knew way more than I did to guide me) and find what works for me. Cannabis has been an amazing tool in my life.  It is certainly not a magic bullet. Blessings to all.

[d4...]

Thank you for all the links and helpful info! This gives me a good starting point! :smitten:

You're very welcome. I'm an information junkie! LOL I read this entire thread before even replying. :) Have a wonderful weekend! <3

rikki, I used an Indica marijuana for the last year of my taper to help me sleep. It was very effective . . . and there was no interaction that I was aware of with my valium. I make a tincture of high THC Indica flower bud.

I've since used a CBD marijuana for pain and insomnia, and it didn't work as well as the Indica tincture I made. So I went back to the Indica. Just fyi.

Katz

I can say this with the utmost honesty and know it's 100% accurate. If marijuana was legal in my state, and if I wasn't harshly / randomly drug tested as a condition of my employment, I would have never required or been prescribed benzos or z-meds.

[d4...]

I can say this with the utmost honesty and know it's 100% accurate. If marijuana was legal in my state, and if I wasn't harshly / randomly drug tested as a condition of my employment, I would have never required or been prescribed benzos or z-meds.

If only.....

I am 3 months off ct. doing well now but my biggest disturbance is insomnia. I am sleeping 5-6 nights at least 4-6 hours and one night no sleep at all. I had been a regular weed smoker many years but quit during the withdrawl. I have tried to slowly go back but each time I take a few hits- I don't sleep at all that night? Any input if  anyone has had this problem because I really would like to go back to using mj?

I do what Katz does with the high thc indica marijuana tincture to help with sleep (I actually got her recipe from her directly!). I feel it helps with sleep immensely.

Hi guys. I am new to this thread. I have already been through withdrawal and am three years off benzos. My question is : My sister is taking Xanex and will be tapering it soon. She is having trouble sleeping and wants to know if it’s okay to take CBD oil along with her Xanex to help her sleep. Any advice or experiences you can share?

CBD alone doesn’t help me sleep. I need THC as well. Everyone is different, and hemp derived CBD is different from cannabis derived CBD.

Hi nmsafe,

If you ever get the chance or inclination, could you please explain the difference between hemp derived & cannabis derived CBD oil? Much thanks, SC

I hope this helps!! https://www.projectcbd.org/guidance/cannabis-oil-vs-hemp-oil

I’ve also found that the amount of cannabidiol in a lot of CBD oils varies widely.  Be safe; buyer beware. I’ve seen people saying that they’ve bought CBD on Amazon and eBay? NO FRIGGIN WAY. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Much thanks nmsafe!take care

I am 3 months off ct. doing well now but my biggest disturbance is insomnia. I am sleeping 5-6 nights at least 4-6 hours and one night no sleep at all. I had been a regular weed smoker many years but quit during the withdrawl. I have tried to slowly go back but each time I take a few hits- I don't sleep at all that night? Any input if  anyone has had this problem because I really would like to go back to using mj?

Do you know what you're smoking? I'd stick to Indica strains with lower THC %s if you have a choice. If you have access to MMJ, I'd also suggest an Indica tincture (or edible). Sativas, or even Indicas with high THC %s, can ramp up anxiety. I've been carefully selecting my strains to try and avoid it.

Another way to lessen the chances of feeling the negative effects of THC is to take CBD with it.

I've been using Indica edibles to help me sleep throughout my taper, withdrawal and recovery; they, along with melatonin, have helped me so much.

yes have been smoking indica only have taken about 6 puffs and keeping me awake- I will give it more time for my system to calm down I guess

yes have been smoking indica only have taken about 6 puffs and keeping me awake- I will give it more time for my system to calm down I guess

Sorry to hear that. You may want to look for Indica strains with the least amount of THC available. You may also want to try less puffs.

Do you have access to high-CBD, low-THC strains, like Harlequin, Charlotte's Web, Cannatonic, AC/DC, etc? Those may be better for your sensitive system for now.

Sorry to hear that. You may want to look for Indica strains with the least amount of THC available. You may also want to try less puffs.

Do you have access to high-CBD, low-THC strains, like Harlequin, Charlotte's Web, Cannatonic, AC/DC, etc? Those may be better for your sensitive system for now.

I am curious about AC/DC. I tried it once for daytime nausea but it caused horrific rebound anxiety. Anxiety is not a symptom I normally have. Any idea of why that might happen? I had such hopes that this might work for daytime nausea but I crashed very hard. Afraid to try again.

According to potguide, AC/DC is a Sativa-dominant strain -- a hybrid Sativa/Indica cross, heavier on the Sativa, although some sources place it at 50/50.

It is very high in CBD -- the profile is 20:1 CBD to THC and I have read that it may be as high as 30:1.

Not sure why it caused you anxiety. The tiny amount of TCH and the presence of Sativa? But now you know it does not work for you. you can avoid it.

Katz

I am curious about AC/DC. I tried it once for daytime nausea but it caused horrific rebound anxiety. Anxiety is not a symptom I normally have. Any idea of why that might happen? I had such hopes that this might work for daytime nausea but I crashed very hard. Afraid to try again.

Although they're high-CBD, low-THC strains, they still have Sativa, Hybrid and Indica designations. On Leafly, orange is Sativa, green is Hybrid and Indica is purple. Leafly describes AC/DC as a "Sativa-dominant phenotype of the high-CBD cannabis strain, Cannatonic." Since it leans that way, I have to conclude it has the potential to cause anxiety, although the high-CBD content should help mellow that out, but alas, strains affect everyone differently. Our nervous systems are so fragile while we're healing; maybe it wouldn't trigger anxiety under typical circumstances.

I'm attaching an article from Leafly naming their 10 best CBD strains according to their users:

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/10-best-cbd-cannabis-strains-according-to-leafly-users

You can also click through to the individual strain's page and read more about it.

These are good examples of why we need more and better research for sure.

Although they're high-CBD, low-THC strains, they still have Sativa, Hybrid and Indica designations. On Leafly, orange is Sativa, green is Hybrid and Indica is purple. Leafly describes AC/DC as a "Sativa-dominant phenotype of the high-CBD cannabis strain, Cannatonic." Since it leans that way, I have to conclude it has the potential to cause anxiety, although the high-CBD content should help mellow that out, but alas, strains affect everyone differently. Our nervous systems are so fragile while we're healing; maybe it wouldn't trigger anxiety under typical circumstances.

I'm attaching an article from Leafly naming their 10 best CBD strains according to their users:

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/10-best-cbd-cannabis-strains-according-to-leafly-users

You can also click through to the individual strain's page and read more about it.

These are good examples of why we need more and better research for sure.

Thanks again aurora. Of the strains on the list, only one other than ac/dc is available locally to me, and it is at a dispensary with a wait list of several weeks. The whole process can be confusing. Just made a small cut Saturday and all of a sudden the medical marijuana is not helping that much with the nausea ... this is so frustraing. The cut was .001 mg in pill weight, so from .138 to .137 weight of K, I should not feel the difference but I do.

Hey all

I’ve been following this thread and it’s been very informative. I recently received my medical marijuana card (I live in New York). I find that New York is pretty behind on the marijuana options. For one, when I mention cbn oil, they have no idea what I’m talking about.

My biggest withdrawal symptom at this point are random adrenaline surges that can last anywhere from hours to weeks, particularly right before my period. I had been off of benzos for 6 months when a neurologist placed me on nortryptyline for migraine which put me in the biggest adrenaline surge lasting a week with no sleep. This put me in the Er several times and eventually in a detox to where they reinstated Valium. I’m currently tapering slowly again but the adrenaline surges scare me more than anything. My goal is to be able to get through these adrenaline surges and come out the other side without losing my mind or collapsing in an ER or detox center again!!

I find that when I mention Indica strains for sleep (a guy in Colorado once told me they refer to Indica as “in da couch” lol), the dispensaries look at me like they don’t know what I’m talking about or why I would ask. I guess I could just use some advice on WHAT to ask for at a New York dispensary.

I called a few dispensaries and they aren’t able to give me much information other than the cbd to thc ratio. I know this varies person to person so I know it’s a trial and error for most. Are there questions that I should be asking and ones that these dispensaries SHOULD be able to answer?

Hey all

I’ve been following this thread and it’s been very informative. I recently received my medical marijuana card (I live in New York). I find that New York is pretty behind on the marijuana options. For one, when I mention cbn oil, they have no idea what I’m talking about.

My biggest withdrawal symptom at this point are random adrenaline surges that can last anywhere from hours to weeks, particularly right before my period. I had been off of benzos for 6 months when a neurologist placed me on nortryptyline for migraine which put me in the biggest adrenaline surge lasting a week with no sleep. This put me in the Er several times and eventually in a detox to where they reinstated Valium. I’m currently tapering slowly again but the adrenaline surges scare me more than anything. My goal is to be able to get through these adrenaline surges and come out the other side without losing my mind or collapsing in an ER or detox center again!!

I find that when I mention Indica strains for sleep (a guy in Colorado once told me they refer to Indica as “in da couch” lol), the dispensaries look at me like they don’t know what I’m talking about or why I would ask. I guess I could just use some advice on WHAT to ask for at a New York dispensary.

I called a few dispensaries and they aren’t able to give me much information other than the cbd to thc ratio. I know this varies person to person so I know it’s a trial and error for most. Are there questions that I should be asking and ones that these dispensaries SHOULD be able to answer?

NJ is also behind the times.

Here though all the dispensaries list the strains they have available online, so you can do your own research before you go. We have no CBN oil here, which I know is good for sleep. We also don't have terpene profiles. It is frustrating. I hope NJ actually moves to recreational because I think then more products will be available.

I have found this a frustrating trial and error experience. And of course it is pricey. Good luck to you.

Also, while I don't follow this protocol their is a facebook group of people who follow the root cause protocol which includes an adrenal cocktail to help with the adrenaline surges. I don't know if any of that might be helpful. You can probably google root cause protocol for lots of info.

Hey all

NJ is also behind the times.

Here though all the dispensaries list the strains they have available online, so you can do your own research before you go. We have no CBN oil here, which I know is good for sleep. We also don't have terpene profiles. It is frustrating. I hope NJ actually moves to recreational because I think then more products will be available.

I have found this a frustrating trial and error experience. And of course it is pricey. Good luck to you.

Also, while I don't follow this protocol their is a facebook group of people who follow the root cause protocol which includes an adrenal cocktail to help with the adrenaline surges. I don't know if any of that might be helpful. You can probably google root cause protocol for lots of info.

Sounds like NJ and NY are pretty similar in what’s available. Just out of curiosity, I called a few dispensaries in Colorado and i was able to get SO much information about each of their products. It’s amazing just how far behind we are! And it’s unbelievably frustrating knowing it can potentially be one of the most useful tools to get through this withdrawal (as opposed to throwing other prescribed meds at it)

Thank you for the Facebook Information. I’ll see if I can locate that group. At this point,

I’m considering flying to Colorado or California to get my hands on something that may be able to help.

Hi all,

I'm also new to this thread. I head back to work in a week. I suffer from anxiety related to my job, or at least I did last year, and that's why I started benzos. I'm five months off benzos today and still suffering from depression, and I have no idea if the anxiety will return when work starts. Someone my wife knows recommended trying CBD oil and gave us a link to this site. Would this be a good CBD oil to try?

https://thoughtcloud.net/product/full-spectrum-cbd-500mg-in-coconut-oil/

I have been very sensitive to marijuana in the past and don't want to have a negative reaction or make withdrawal symptoms worse.

Boom if it were me, I’d try a product from a company with a trusted reputation and the one beyond seems to recommend is Charlottes Web cbd hemp oil.

https://www.cwhemp.com/

They have 3 different products and the lowest or least potent one has the same amount of cannabinoids as the one you showed. I also highly recommend the cbd oil I still use at times to help combat the effects of too much thc. Ezra has been great to work with!  https://www.ezrahelps.com/

Hi NoMore , I nodded several times reading your post, that was an inspired thought to call dispensaries in CO! I fantasized about traveling to CO many times simply for some CBN products since that was the first question I asked when the dispensaries opened here. I really really want to try CBN!  They were promised CBN specific strains but so far it hasn’t happened.

I do a lot of my own research by checking all the dispensary menus in the state for information about specific strains/ products. Since there are so few producers right now they tend to have the same products available throughout the state however I’ve found every menu lists different types of information. I gather as much as I possibly can before going to the dispensary. Then I mostly ask their opinion or for them to compare specific products. It’s very surprising to me how little information is displayed but I’ve been able gather a fair amount in addition to checking the sites I’ve previously mentioned like Leafly and Allbud. The biggest general miss all the way around is terpene profiles. I’ve occasionally been able to get answers at the dispensary about some of those profiles but a printout or a display of the profiles would be most useful.

I’m happy to say the dispensaries in PA are really starting to have a nice variety of products available. Flower is now available in all the dispensaries and the restrictions on amounts have been lifted. Three weeks after flower was introduced I’ve noticed some  of the other products  have dropped a little bit in price thankfully. I’m feeling a little better about availability in general however I learned the hard way to buy 2 of something if it works well for me just in case it goes missing for long periods of time and I don’t have a backup product.

It’s still very much a trail and error experience even doing all kinds of research unfortunately, I wish there was a better way to go about this but I don’t believe there is unfortunately.

I’ll look for the concoction to help with adrenaline surges and post it here for you if I find it, I can’t say I used it myself but it’s worth a try.

:smitten:

Adrenal cocktail

Adrenal Cocktail Recipe

½ cup orange juice

½ teaspoon cream of tarter

½ teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt

Hope it helps!

Hi Saga:

I remember this from long ago with "our" little group of buddies:

Adrenal Cocktail Recipe

½ cup orange juice

½ teaspoon cream of tarter

½ teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt

Many found it very useful. Nice of you to pass it on.  :thumbsup:

Katz

Ahhh Katz  :smitten:  Funny isn’t it, when I was searching for the adrenal cocktail last night I had such a wistful pang remembering everyone in our great group, also remembering so many used this and found it helpful. I don’t see the cocktail shared much these days so I was happy to pass on something that may help lighten the misery index. It sure brought back fond memories of our group although it’s hard to believe it’s been so long now. 

I hope you’re doing as well as possible these days.  I’m almost ready to try making my first tincture now that the limit on flower has been lifted. I’m trying to decide which strain to go with since I can only try making one for now. It’s a toss up between Blueberry and Tigers Milk, both indica strains. I’m so happy the tincture has worked so well for you. I’d much prefer to use more tinctures since  using cannabis orally gives me better full body relief than vaping. I actually use quite a combo these days but if I can nail making tinctures and or capsules eventually I’ll hopefully lessen my expenses as well. Appreciate your help in advance since I’m still rather math challenged even with significantly mproved cognitive skills. Some things just don’t change.  ;D

[d4...]

Ahhh Katz  :smitten:  Funny isn’t it, when I was searching for the adrenal cocktail last night I had such a wistful pang remembering everyone in our great group, also remembering so many used this and found it helpful. I don’t see the cocktail shared much these days so I was happy to pass on something that may help lighten the misery index. It sure brought back fond memories of our group although it’s hard to believe it’s been so long now. 

I hope you’re doing as well as possible these days.  I’m almost ready to try making my first tincture now that the limit on flower has been lifted. I’m trying to decide which strain to go with since I can only try making one for now. It’s a toss up between Blueberry and Tigers Milk, both indica strains. I’m so happy the tincture has worked so well for you. I’d much prefer to use more tinctures since  using cannabis orally gives me better full body relief than vaping. I actually use quite a combo these days but if I can nail making tinctures and or capsules eventually I’ll hopefully lessen my expenses as well. Appreciate your help in advance since I’m still rather math challenged even with significantly mproved cognitive skills. Some things just don’t change.  ;D

I love Blueberry. I grew it I. My last crop & I made full extract oil from it! Very good strain!