• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

• [Re...]

• [or...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot seem to figure out this marijuana for nausea at all and feel frustrated that it is another thing to navigate without much guidance. I made appt with another dispensary for three weeks from today. But the nausea is just so bad not sure what to do.

NJ- I am so glad you found SOMETHING to help with the nausea.  That completely sucks about the daytime nausea.  My doctor told me that it was fine to drive after smoking the only CBD cannabis but I am not 100% convinced on this.  Are you thinking of taking some of the THC drops before your workday?  I guess it truly depends on the nature of your job, and if you would feel up to doing it.  From the sound of it, you must be a rockstar at work. 

I have been mixing CBD with an Indica strain for the past month, about a 50/50, mixture, and it is okay.  My main problem is the munchies.  I've put on about 3-4 pounds in the last month or so, and I am thinking this is the main reason why.  I have now switched back to just the Indica strain, but it really does not work as well on pain and muscle tension, but it does help a lot with migraines, nausea, and sleep. 

Do all CBDs cause the munchies?  Has anyone found a way around this problem?

NJ- I am so glad you found SOMETHING to help with the nausea.  That completely sucks about the daytime nausea.  My doctor told me that it was fine to drive after smoking the only CBD cannabis but I am not 100% convinced on this.  Are you thinking of taking some of the THC drops before your workday?  I guess it truly depends on the nature of your job, and if you would feel up to doing it.  From the sound of it, you must be a rockstar at work. 

I have been mixing CBD with an Indica strain for the past month, about a 50/50, mixture, and it is okay.  My main problem is the munchies.  I've put on about 3-4 pounds in the last month or so, and I am thinking this is the main reason why.  I have now switched back to just the Indica strain, but it really does not work as well on pain and muscle tension, but it does help a lot with migraines, nausea, and sleep. 

Do all CBDs cause the munchies?  Has anyone found a way around this problem?

Greencup, you are funny saying I am a rock star at work! Love that. I do pretty well and I don't know how honestly with how sick I have been feeling. I tried mixing the high THC strain with the CBD oil I have and it did not work. Going to try a new strain that is supposed to be good for nausea that is also good for daytime use; it does have THC. Will try next week when I am off. I keep reading that this is the best thing for nausea but I am just not finding the right thing yet ... navigating another health issue with no guidance, dispensaries not that helpful and this is an expensive experimentation.

I just keep losing weight, so have no idea of what to tell you about the munchies!

NJ- Have you checked out lift.co?  There are reviews of all strains on there and what helps with what symptoms.  I am always getting a note with my cannabis purchases to leave a review on there.  It's for Canada, but the reviews might still help.  There must be something similar for the United States.

Thanks gc for the recommendation. Have done extensive online research ... but so many strains with similar names, hard to know if something similar would have similar properties. Also very limited availability here, both in strain and dispensary. But I am going to keep pushing forward. I keep reading that mmj is the best medicine for nausea, so I will keep looking for now.

NJ- Have you checked out lift.co?  There are reviews of all strains on there and what helps with what symptoms.  I am always getting a note with my cannabis purchases to leave a review on there.  It's for Canada, but the reviews might still help.  There must be something similar for the United States.

Yes, its called Leafly.com....very informative!!

I am new at this and am applying for a mmj card here in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

I see online that it is up to the patient to research and find what strains, etc. they should be using, taking weeks, months, and years of research and experimentation.

All I want is for someone to make some suggestions regarding me getting off this drug and helping with some of the withdrawal symptoms.  I am totally ignorant of this and was told that this

treatment with mmj is a hit or miss thing and varies a lot--plus being very expensive. 

I thought a doctor would help me find the best suited cannabis I would need and then work with me on this. 

Now I notice that the websites I checked say that the dispensary personnel help to "sell" you their products.  And Lancaster reviews say that this dispensary prices are higher than others.

I just don't know what to do. 

My main symptoms that made me go back on the Benzo at the advise of the ER personnel and doctors was because of the extreme insomnia, nausea, and ACID skin pain I suffered right after my withdrawal last sept.  All the drugs they tried me on failed. All I want is some help with these so that I can stay off this horrid poison.  I never had trouble with insomnia, nausea or burning/acid skin until the benzo's.  My life before my surgery was wonderful.  EVerything changed with the drugs they gave during surgery and then the benzo's after!

Any suggestions?  I am desperate!

Please!

I am new at this and am applying for a mmj card here in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

I see online that it is up to the patient to research and find what strains, etc. they should be using, taking weeks, months, and years of research and experimentation.

All I want is for someone to make some suggestions regarding me getting off this drug and helping with some of the withdrawal symptoms.  I am totally ignorant of this and was told that this

treatment with mmj is a hit or miss thing and varies a lot--plus being very expensive. 

I thought a doctor would help me find the best suited cannabis I would need and then work with me on this. 

Now I notice that the websites I checked say that the dispensary personnel help to "sell" you their products.  And Lancaster reviews say that this dispensary prices are higher than others.

My main symptoms that made me go back on the Benzo at the advise of the ER personnel and doctors was because of the extreme insomnia, nausea, and ACID skin pain I suffered right after my withdrawal last sept.  All the drugs they tried me on failed. All I want is some help with these so that I can stay off this horrid poison.  I never had trouble with insomnia, nausea or burning/acid skin until the benzo's.  My life before my surgery was wonderful.  EVerything changed with the drugs they gave during surgery and then the benzo's after!

Please!

I got a card in June in NJ and share some of your frustration. I have only tried one strain recommended for insomnia and nausea; it helps a bit with insomnia but I am struggling to find a dose that helps without making me feel overly drugged (or feeling nothing at all). It does not help much with nausea. I am going to another dispensary this weekend to try another strain supposedly good for nausea during the daytime.

It is very much experimentation. I am also using an alcohol tincture I make myself, which is also a bit overwhelming.

I feel like I am navigating this whole benzo mess on my own and now the medical marijuana thing on my own too.

There is a lot of info online. Unfortunately, and I think the same is true in PA, the dispensaries are limited and don't have a wide variety of product. Hopefully you can find something that works for you quickly (and yes, this is all very expensive ... to keep my card will cost me $600/year, that is without any product, just required dr. visits).

Hey Lynn-

So there are three main types of cannabis.  They are Indica, Sativa, and CBD.  The CBD is the one that has little to no THC, so you won't get a high feeling from it.  It is known to be relaxing and help with muscle tension and anxiety.  Indica, is also sometimes called, "In Da Couch"  because it is a calming strain and many people use it for anxiety and to help with sleep.  Sativa, is knows as more of a psychoactive strain, and also called the creative strain.  It is known to help with depression. 

I have found that these three main strain categories overlap in their uses.  For example, I have found both indica and sativa extremely helpful for me when I am feeling very very negative and also when I am having or about to have a migraine.  I think Indica is more helpful for sleeping.

Do you know any specific strains that your dispensary has?  Maybe someone here has tried and can let you know how it worked for them. 

I’m going to chime in and relate a little bit of my experience to date and random thoughts....many random thoughts, lol.  I’ve been a frequent visitor to the dispensaries in both Lancaster and Phoenixville.

Yesterday was my first requisite follow up cannabis Dr. visit. Truthfully everything that’s been previously mentioned here was discussed with my prescribing Dr. She has valid  concerns how the program has been implemented to date, the lack of diversity in product consistency or availability,  and how yes, the dispensaries are indeed prescribing according to what they’re have in stock rather than guiding them to perhaps a more suitable product.  We had a very long discussion that made me feel better in that she truly recognizes the challenges patients face under these circumstances.

The truth of the matter is I don’t see any other way to go about using cannabis products other than painful and prohibitively expensive trial and error, even with education and recommendations for specific strains. Of the returning patients she’s seen in the last month, her estimate is that it’s taken many of her patients a minimum trying 10 to 15 different products before finding a few they can work with. I cannot disagree with her estimate. That’s approximately the amount of products I’ve tried so far, in fact I've already tried more than 15. Thankfully I am finally beginning to piece together a treatment strategy 4 months later, but knowing it’s nearly impossible to find the same products on repeat visits is disheartening extremely challenging and just plain frustrating.

I did a lot of reading and studying of cannabis literature over the last several years trying to familiarize myself for this program so I had a fair idea of what product ratios and strains meant. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money in the last several months because that’s the only way to go about this as far as I can tell even armed with good knowledge.

I have not yet found a product to with help my insomnia, however I am daily micro dosing 24/7 very successfully for nerve muscle pain and chronic daily migraine so I need a variety of options throughout the day into night. I also need thc in the mix, cbd alone doesn’t give me enough relief. I really have a preference for the hybrids, indica dominant hybrids work well for me, however they are too sedating for daytime use. I have enough trouble with fatigue and energy levels so the quest continues next I’ll be trying a sativa dominant hybrid.

I feel for everyone, I truly do, my heart breaks for all of us as we are among the most desperately ill and suffering who can least afford the amount of trial and error needed let alone the financial aspects we’ve been through so much indescribable hardship already.

Unfortunately like any other business high demand results in the current prohibitive market and rampant price gouging is the result at least for now in spite of the state's assurances they would impose price controls. I’m hopeful when flower arrives in August the prices will eventually come down because this is not in the least financially sustainable.

I honestly and wholeheartedly believe patients should be the ones in control, no parameters or restrictions as I’ve heard happening in other medical programs. PA has gotten that right as far as I’m concerned. Under the circumstances with the lack of product I’m not sure how else it can be managed, although yes of course it would be helpful if prescribers were able to suggest products. I did receive a paper yesterday with general guidelines for conditions although in the current climate patients simply cannot find the recommended product.

I’ve found both dispensary staffs to be extremely knowledgeable about the products however not nearly enough information is shared with patients concerning ratios and terpenoid profiles. I understand the state has also stepped in and dictated what they may or may not include on their websites, therefore the menu selections are now quite basic. There is even less information available than a few months ago. I sincerely hope this all changes as the program grows, I’m trying not to be too critical because ultimately I’m beyond grateful this is now available after I've somehow managed to survive years of this hellish ongoing nightmare.

Resources I've found most helpful:

Cannabis Revealed author Bonni Goldstein

https://healer.com/

https://www.projectcbd.org/

https://www.medicaljane.com/

https://www.leafly.com/

https://www.allbud.com/

:smitten:

You all have been very helpful.  Thank you.  I know it is still going to be quite the adventure.  Right now I wish it would help with the anxiety, nausea, and insomnia, but they are somewhat manageable yet.  Some days quite bad, other days, tolerable.  Seems to be getting better as I decrease dosage, but I know from past experience that it may become quite difficult as the doses go low.  I am preparing myself mentally for that, but hopefully this time will be different since I am going down on clonazepam instead of valium and I plan to go a lot slower.  Valium made me feel bad the second time around.

What I wanted from the mmj program was a card so that if the pain becomes severe enough, I can be prepared to find the help I may need from the mmj.  The last time I was off the benzo's in Sept 2017, I started to progressively get worse and worse until I got "o" sleep and SEVERE Acid skin--not just the burning.  I could hardly eat and it was pure horror.  When I went to the ER twice, they refused to give me anything for the sleep and/or the pain telling me that only the benzo would work and they put me back on them.  I was desperately ill and believed them.  Thus I took the benzo they and my pcp gave me.  Each time I immediately reduced because I worked too hard to get off of them to get back on them like that. This was done twice.  Then I went to an Urgent Care physician and he took about 45 minutes to hear my story and he was very sympathetic and told me that I had gotten off the benzo's previously way too fast for my sensitivity to them. He said he always cautioned his patients to go very slow.  He urged me to go up higher, stabilize, and then come down much slower.  I still had a lot of trouble near the end.  Then my psych put me up way high and fast recently, but I asked to come down.  I felt no improvement while higher and so here I am again coming down.  This time, however, at this level of dosage, I still feel bad days, but there are some better days I've been having.  It is definitely different.  But I am still high at 2 mg. 

So, I am planning to start liquid tapering and going slower and then if I run into trouble, I refuse to go back on the benzo's NO MATTER WHAT, and will hopefully be helped by the mmj.  It's my last hope.  They've tried all the drugs on me back in 2016 without relief and 2017 was spent tapering off of the benzo and mirtazepine [they used that to help me sleep and eat.  Heard later that Mirt is very hard to come off of for some people, so I'm sure it made my taper harder].

Meanwhile, I'd like to know what works for these three specific symptoms, but the more I ask and the more I research, it looks more and more hopeless and difficult to navigate.  Not sure now that I even want to attempt all of this with the expense and all, but if the symptoms get as bad as they did the last time, it could mean my death--and I'm not over-exaggerating!  I will need something.  The searing pain and almost no sleep for 2-1/2 months straight and getting worse and worse was pure horror.

Sorry for the sad story.  But this is why I may need to use the mmj.  Studying up on it now and finding some suggestions from all of you may be what prepares me for what could happen.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Please!

Hi! I live in Colorado, have been a medical patient for over 6 years and have worked in the industry at a medical dispensary for over 4 years. I was lucky enough to get to vote for legal cannabis here in 2014...one of my proudest moments as a long-time user and advocate, both medically and recreationally.

We have such a wide variety of products and places to purchase them from, it's difficult NOT to be able to find what works for everyone here. The doctors who recommend our mmj cards usually don't have advice on which products to use, but support our finding what works for us on our own 100%.

I think some main issues you guys in medical-only states, especially with newer programs, experience is sometimes they don't even allow all consumption methods to be sold. We really need access to flower, concentrates, edibles AND topicals to play around with what works best. Not only does it give us more choices, but gives us options to get specific and create products we need, if they don't exist.

Also, when dispensaries order wholesale products to stock their shelves, often times it's with specific strains, which is why it's important to have multiple flower strains available to choose from, so a customer can buy flower and MAKE the specific medicine they need, like a tincture, if they can't find it already made into a product.

Unfortunately, dispensary staff don't really have any official sources to educate themselves with to help customers besides personal experience, personal anecdotes from other industry members, friends and customers, very limited local education opportunities and the good ol' world wide web. When I suggest folks consult leafly.com, that's what I'm doing too. I have a lot of personal knowledge I've gathered over the years, but we're still in the infancy of this industry.

I have high hopes that with the more recent wider acceptance of cannabis as medicine, more research will be done and we won't be so on our own.

Luckily, a lot of us working in the industry are very passionate about what we do and constantly educate ourselves as much as possible. We rely on each other too. There are about 5000 occupationally badged cannabis industry employees in my state who being to an online group, so we can communicate with each other. It's quite helpful and pretty cool.  :)

If there's any questions I can answer for you, I'll certainly try. Best of luck to you!

Hey everyone. Just starting using MMJ again and definatly getting some relief from it. I haf a bad setback off cannabis oil 5 months ago that scared me off but glad i tried again.

My mental symptoms have all vanished and only left with muscle pain / stamina issues which can be quite severe. I started using a white widow / ak47 cross strain before bed, it relaxes my body and gets me to sleep without getting the munchies.

Im waking up feeling limber without muscle tension and my body all locked up in pain. Its not a miracle cure  but im getting relief and pretty happy with the way things are going.

Anyone else with similar issues to me i would highly recommend this strain from AMS seed bank its called AK47 XTRM.

Lynne--I feel your pain. I have spent most of the weekend researching strains for nausea and still don't know what to do. I guess I was hoping this would be some magic bullet for me but it is just very frustrating. In the end, I have no idea of what to do. I also have some anxiety so not sure if I should go with a sativa strain of chocolope. Some suggest ac/dc but don't know if that has enough thc to make a difference.

I would say the blueberry kush did work for insomnia.

I feel aurora is right that in the med only states there are not a lot of options. I can only get flower--no edibles, no tinctures. My nausea is truly overwhelming and I just want relief. Not sure how much experimentation to do at this price point. Ugh, we all need relief just wish there was a better way to figure it all out.

NJ- I have found sativa works for my anxiety just as well as the Indica strains.  I honestly think it depends on what kind of anxiety you are having. 

NJ- I have found sativa works for my anxiety just as well as the Indica strains.  I honestly think it depends on what kind of anxiety you are having.

GC: I feel like all my anxiety stems from the nausea!

Just tried a very low dose edible with the sativa (actually ended up with tangelope instead of chocolope ... who makes up these names?). Not feeling much yet but the nausea is better. Less depressed. Will make an alcohol tincture with it tomorrow (when the kids aren't home) as that is how I am preferring to dose ...

I just need relief from the nausea. I have been nauseous every day for seven months. I cannot take it any more.

GC: I feel like all my anxiety stems from the nausea!

Just tried a very low dose edible with the sativa (actually ended up with tangelope instead of chocolope ... who makes up these names?). Not feeling much yet but the nausea is better. Less depressed. Will make an alcohol tincture with it tomorrow (when the kids aren't home) as that is how I am preferring to dose ...

I just need relief from the nausea. I have been nauseous every day for seven months. I cannot take it any more.

Well the sativa ended up with me feeling pretty out of it, but the nausea and anxiety were gone yesterday and the nausea, once I got through the morning, is still mild today. The strain was Tangelope. I also feel the depression lifting. I think the indica strain I have been trying to use was worsening depresion. Making an alcohol tincture with the Tangelope now. Also picked up ac/dc which is supposed to help with nausea but with no impairment because of almost non existent THC. Going to try that this week too. If I can have some relief from the nausea I will be able to pick up with my very stalled taper.I need to be done with this! I feel like I am going to be tapering for the rest of my life!

There are definitely more things to consider when choosing strains besides just the Sativa/Hybrid/Indica designation, but it hasn't really caught on yet.

Terpenes are the 'essential oils' of the cannabis plant and they have their own set of effects; i.e. just because it's a Sativa doesn't mean all effects will be uplifting. Here's a good article about it.

https://naturalcannabis.com/what-are-terpenes-and-why-do-they-matter/

There are definitely more things to consider when choosing strains besides just the Sativa/Hybrid/Indica designation, but it hasn't really caught on yet.

Terpenes are the 'essential oils' of the cannabis plant and they have their own set of effects; i.e. just because it's a Sativa doesn't mean all effects will be uplifting. Here's a good article about it.

I really wish the dispensaries shared this info or were better at helping find something to help. I was looking for something for daytime use with nausea, and the strain recommended definitely helped the nausea but it was not something I could use at work. It is very much trial and error. It's just a very expensive thing to figure out.

I really wish the dispensaries shared this info or were better at helping find something to help. I was looking for something for daytime use with nausea, and the strain recommended definitely helped the nausea but it was not something I could use at work. It is very much trial and error. It's just a very expensive thing to figure out.

Several Sativa/daytime strains are noted for helping with nausea, but if the THC content is too high, it can rev one up too much. A sativa-dominant hybrid with a lower THC % may be helpful. If you can find Blueberry Diesel, I'd recommend it. It's an Indica-dominant hybrid, but said to have a "Sativa front and Indica end," plus usually has a lower THC content, around 15%, to lessen the chance of anxiety. We have a Blueberry strain currently testing at 18.39%, which is low for our selection. Blue Dream, Durban Poison, Sour Diesel and Super Lemon Haze are all Sativas or Sativa-dominant hybrids known for help with nausea, but be wary of the THC % and steer clear of any too close to 20% or above if you can.

I'm not sure if terpene testing is available in your area yet, but you can certainly inquire at your local labs and request it at your dispensaries. It's not currently required. We do it voluntarily because we're very medically-geared and it's so helpful. If the labs are new, they may not be up to speed yet. There's cannabinoid (THC, CBD, CBN, CBG, CBC), moisture, solvent and pesticide testing; here they just implemented microbial testing too. They may need to hear that people are interested in knowing what terps are in their buds to get the ball rolling. I'd put bugs in some ears for sure. It can't hurt.

https://www.coloradopotguide.com/colorado-marijuana-blog/article/the-8-best-cannabis-strains-for-nausea-relief/

heard that it takes on average about 15 tries to find something that "might" work "somewhat" for a person.  There is the initial out-of-pocket dr. visit to qualify for the card.  Then there is the cost of the card.  Then there is the cost of the return visits to the doctor which is more out-of-pocket expenses every so many months and then there are the expenses for the mmj trial and errors that amount to a second mortgage or some of us.  What's the deal?  Then on top of all of that, there is the fact that this stuff does not work for everyone and some become worse.  This is crazy!  Who's  to know what and where and how and who? 

Just not so sure this is worth it all!  Not to mention the crushed hopes when this fails, too, like everything else!

I am not trying to sound negative, though it comes across that way.  I just know what I've been reading and hearing from those who have spoken with their doctors or who have experienced it themselves.

I have an appointment with a doctor to acquire the card, but not sure I want to keep my appointment at those costs/risks.

Any thoughts?

Lynn:

My out of pocket cost to date has been around $650, with another $150 soon for the quarterly renewal of the card for the doctor visit.

I was feeling super nauseous last night and used my indica heavy strain as a tincture, and it did prevent me from getting sick. I would have gotten sick without the marijuana, I am sure of it. So, for that, I guess it is worth it. I need to not throw up all night long. I have gone to work too many days after throwing up all night. 

But I am struggling to find something for the daytime. I am making a tincture now will be ready for Friday of the strain I bought on Sunday that definitely killed the nausea but made me too high for daytime use. I am hoping that maybe one or two drops would help with nausea but not leave me high. I tried ac/dc, very low THC, it helped a little with the nausea but left me with really bad rebound anxiety, so now not sure what to do.

I think it can be helpful, but there is a lot of experimentation. My nausea has been constant for seven months which is really impacting my mental health, and I am disappointed this hasn't helped more. Whether to move forward or not I guess really depends on your financial situation and if you have $$ to experiment. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I've spend probably around $1000 so far, since January.  $200 for my membership card, which lasts a year, and then about $800 on different strains.  I wish I had paid more attention to the sizes of the containers, and bought less of each strain, cause now I have some that just sit there, not ever being used.  For me, thought, none of them are TERRIBLE.  Most of them will help with pain, and negative thinking, but some are so much better at helping with migraines,sleep and anxiety, than others. 

My dispensary has sales a lot, and I buy things on sale, even if I don't know if it will help me, just cause stuff is expensive.  They also have a discount for people below a certain income, I'm not sure if a  lot of places have that.