The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Since I last wrote I ended up having horrible insomnia. I tried melatonin, Benedryl, Unisom (doxilamin succinate), mediations, sleep restriction. Last  week the doctor gave me trazodone but when I took it, it plugged up my nose so bad I could only breathe through my mouth.I had 4 no sleep nights from last Wednesday to this Monday. Tuesday the doctor gave me seroquel but the list of side effects creeped me out and I haven’t taken it. Instead I ended up caving and took Klonopin .5 mg the last 3 nights. First night I slept all night, but last two days not as good. I feel like my system is very messed up now. I obsess about whether all the off and on K over the last two months has given me the insomnia. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in two weeks that I’ve never seen before. I know many folks here have gone through much worse and I feel pretty whimpy  in comparison. I’ve always been an anxious and scared person and the insomnia has me in a panic. Anyway I’m thankful for this forum as I don’t have anyone in my life who can relate to benzo use.

I highly suggest l theanine. You can try taking it in a pretty large dose for sleep 300-500mg without issue.

I use it for sleep. It's pretty good.

You're being given antipsychotics which, I'm unsure of what your doctor thinks your issue is.

I've taken seroquel for one or two days. It was horrific in the fact that I slept 23 hours one day. Never touched

it again.

First off, my biggest piece of advice to you is don't be so hard on yourself. So you took some Klonopin to sleep.

Big fucking deal. Sleep and sanity are thinks we need. You want to get to a stable place.

Your biggest problem seems to be your own obsessions. Let them go. I know that sounds silly because those

obsessions are difficult to let go but the more you try and focus on other things, the less you'll obsess on the

things that are bothering you.

Exercise is really your friend in this.

Ask yourself, what things help you find stability? Happiness? Sleep? It's definitely NOT panic and anxiety.

After you've gotten that list of things for stability, embrace them. They'll pull you back to feeling normal.

Ignore the anti-Benzo lobby of this forum. Sometimes they're needed. Sometimes we're in a shit place in

life and we need some temporary relief. We SHOULD develop other coping mechanisms but we have the

Benzos incase life isn't perfect.. and life typically isn't perfect.

Have you considered taking .25 instead of dropping from .5 to 0?

This is all great advice!

Hi,

Not sure if I’m posting in the right place, but I just wanted to ask people who are on klonipin and have been switched to other generics, does anybody do okay with this? And more specifically, has anyone done okay with new Tevas?

Thanks so much for any feedback you can give me!

Hi all

I recently started a liquid cut and hold taper using valium, and have been doing really well. I'm on day 7 of a cut from 0.75 to 0.675!

Question about split doses during the taper: when my doctor originally prescribed K I was taking 0.25 in the morning and 0.5 in the evening. I've more or less held to this 1/3, 2/3 daily dosing plan throughout my use and my taper. I would like to consider consolidating to one dose per day at some point, maybe when I get to 0.5mg.

Thinking (way) ahead, if I dose once a day, I wonder if it will be easier for me to jump from an evening dose or a morning dose? Does it even matter? If I am naturally a light sleeper and want the "benefit" of K in the evening, then I'd want to take my entire dose then. But if I want to learn to sleep without it, maybe I should take my dose in the AM, when I do decide to go down to just once a day?

Hi all

I recently started a liquid cut and hold taper using valium, and have been doing really well. I'm on day 7 of a cut from 0.75 to 0.675!

Question about split doses during the taper: when my doctor originally prescribed K I was taking 0.25 in the morning and 0.5 in the evening. I've more or less held to this 1/3, 2/3 daily dosing plan throughout my use and my taper. I would like to consider consolidating to one dose per day at some point, maybe when I get to 0.5mg.

Thinking (way) ahead, if I dose once a day, I wonder if it will be easier for me to jump from an evening dose or a morning dose? Does it even matter? If I am naturally a light sleeper and want the "benefit" of K in the evening, then I'd want to take my entire dose then. But if I want to learn to sleep without it, maybe I should take my dose in the AM, when I do decide to go down to just once a day?

I'm sure I'm the last person who should give advice since my case is pretty extreme, but I would say to keep both doses and keep going. Valium has a long half-life, so that's good, but maybe keeping a steadier stream in your system will make the taper that much smoother. Heck, I'd take any smoothness I could get, but your body is probably really different than mine. I had been taking 3 doses each day for 21 years, so I just kept it that way throughout my taper. I've gone from 6 mg/day k down to .09 mg/day and the consistency has been really helpful. Anyway, FWIW. You'll do fine! Keep on rockin'.

Jeff

Hi,

Not sure if I’m posting in the right place, but I just wanted to ask people who are on klonipin and have been switched to other generics, does anybody do okay with this? And more specifically, has anyone done okay with new Tevas?

Thanks so much for any feedback you can give me!

There is a whole thread on this. Teva Clonazepa Discontinued Group.

[39...]

Hi all

I'm sure I'm the last person who should give advice since my case is pretty extreme, but I would say to keep both doses and keep going. Valium has a long half-life, so that's good, but maybe keeping a steadier stream in your system will make the taper that much smoother. Heck, I'd take any smoothness I could get, but your body is probably really different than mine. I had been taking 3 doses each day for 21 years, so I just kept it that way throughout my taper. I've gone from 6 mg/day k down to .09 mg/day and the consistency has been really helpful. Anyway, FWIW. You'll do fine! Keep on rockin'.

Jeff

Was it hard to switch toValium?

Hi all

Jeff

Was it hard to switch toValium?

I never made the switch to Valium. Too risky with the tendency towards more depression.

Jeff are you dry cutting or doing a liquid taper. I can't remember if you posted that.  I'm asking because I am considering switching to a liquid taper and making my own solution.  I dont know if I can handle it because I have reacted badly to compounded liquids in the past.

I just want to be less symptomatic and maybe that's a fantasy because I'm not tapering very fast at this time.  But the sedating and depressing effects of Clonzapamn are really getting to me. 

I know no one can definitively tell me what to do, but as you can see from my profile I successfully tapered off Klonopin 7 years ago. Never touched a Benzo or any other med for 7 years. Long story short in August after breakdown took Ativan in ER and 2 more times - still not ok - I asked to go back on Klonopin because I knew I got off it before. Horrible unstable taper with severe debilitating anxiety and insomnia the whole way. Off for 13 days - multiple crisis visits to ER/counseling/doctor. Finally after 3 days Zero sleep took Ativan for 3 days then tried to stop 3 days later (having real trouble making decisions)I opted to go back on Klonopin and try a slower taper. Now 3 days into it on . 5 mg, I feel like it was the wrong choice. Even with med, I didn’t sleep last night and have high high anxiety.

SO should I do the taper again, or should I just stop (13 days off Klonopin, 3 days on Ativan, 3 days off Ativan, 3 days on Klonopin)

I am debilitated by this decision. Is it better to put it back in my system and do it again or just stop at this point. HELP!

My psych issue is a terrifying phobia of insomnia which no matter what I have to face to get out of this mess.

Ptqnn:

I am not sure if you were ever stable on the Klonopin - if yes than I would suggest you go back up to the dose you were stable on and hold until you feel better.  You can then address a slow taper off of it when you feel better.  No sense in putting your body through the ringer when we all know you can safely get off if you do it slowly. 

If  you were never stable on the Klonopin (not sure if this is the case) then IMHO, if you feel no worse than when you were on it - than I don't see the point in reinstating. 

I also think you have thrown too many drugs into the equation and your body is reacting to them as well as your heightened state of anxiety.  I know how it is - we have all been there - but if you are going to go back on a drug - pick only one - and then don't fool around with going on and off of others  - these drugs really mess us up - as you know and adding and subtracting more of them over the course of a few days only serves to mess us up even more. 

There is a separate board here for how to deal with insomnia - so I suggest you look there as to how people deal with this issue. 

I hope this helps. 

Thank you for responding to me in such a kind and thoughtful way. I’ve spent hours on the insomnia board and have found some things that are helpful, but it mostly frightens me to read about insomnia - huge trigger for my anxiety.

I don’t know if I was ever stable on the Klonopin this time around it just never seemed to work and I was desperate to get off for fear of keeping it in my brain longer. Last time around it went so smoothly and this time it was insane. I’m just really afraid right now and can’t make a choice. I am obsessed with making this decision and I’m scared. I seem to be in the wringer no matter what I do - and it has worn me out and made me feel very fragile and frightened for my upcoming life. I hear how negative I sound - I’m sorry - I was so positive last time around. Something is way way different.

[39...]

Thank you for responding to me in such a kind and thoughtful way. I’ve spent hours on the insomnia board and have found some things that are helpful, but it mostly frightens me to read about insomnia - huge trigger for my anxiety.

I don’t know if I was ever stable on the Klonopin this time around it just never seemed to work and I was desperate to get off for fear of keeping it in my brain longer. Last time around it went so smoothly and this time it was insane. I’m just really afraid right now and can’t make a choice. I am obsessed with making this decision and I’m scared. I seem to be in the wringer no matter what I do - and it has worn me out and made me feel very fragile and frightened for my upcoming life. I hear how negative I sound - I’m sorry - I was so positive last time around. Something is way way different.

I feel your fear.  You did it once, you can do it again

Ptqnn:  Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. I say this because our worrying and stress about what to do adds to our issues vs making us feel better.  It took me many months to realize what works and that is what is called 'radical acceptance'.  You just accept 'what is' and know that you can't change it by worrying about it.  It sounds easy to do but it is very hard. 

The fact that your prior taper was easier makes perfect sense - that is why for most of us we can't ever take a benzo again except for a one shot medical procedure.  If you read the boards you will see that there are many others like you who took benzos got off fine, started again and after a very short time had exactly what you are experiencing. 

My suggestion is to ask those closest to you what they think you should do - listen to what they have to say and then write down your own list of pros and cons about what to do.  Then with their help and your list decide what is best for you at this moment in time.  And then the hard part - do it. :smitten: :smitten:

Know that this is doable - you will be okay.

Thank you again Kgirl10 - you are so insightful. Yes, radical acceptance, non resistance, accepting what is, being in the present moment, questioning my thoughts all work so so well for daily life and even big life issues and stressors  such as illness, death, divorce, but THIS one is so much more difficult for me - those seem to go right out the window for this one thing. Even though I KNOW it is really the only way. Fighting and resisting what is (reality) is a losing battle. Accepting what is ends suffering. Truth!

I am reinstating and taking it slowly still with some trepidation and fear. Here goes....

Ptqnn - glad you made a decision, that is one hurdle you have now jumped over and is behind you.  Now just go forward - it may be a longer journey than you anticipated but you will get there and meet some great people on BB along the way to help you through it. 

Here is wishing you a happy and healthy holiday. 

Now 3 days into it on . 5 mg, I feel like it was the wrong choice. Even with med, I didn’t sleep last night and have high high anxiety. SO should I do the taper again, or should I just stop (13 days off Klonopin, 3 days on Ativan, 3 days off Ativan, 3 days on Klonopin)

I am debilitated by this decision. Is it better to put it back in my system and do it again or just stop at this point. HELP!

My psych issue is a terrifying phobia of insomnia which no matter what I have to face to get out of this mess.

Look, if you don't NEED to be on a benzo don't. If you NEED to be on one, cool.

I would take the lowest dose that you're "comfortable" at. I don't mean REALLY comfortable.

Your problem isn't K. It's sleep. You should look to your doctor to prescribe a NON-Benzo sleep medication

such as Rozerem (Ramelteon). It's non-addictive as far as I know and activates entirely different receptors to

help you sleep that are related to melatonin. It works really well for people with Benzo issues because it doesn't

interact with those receptors.

Fayt

[39...]

Hi all,

Would  appreciate some feedback from members of this group.  I have had pretty extreme w/d symptoms and have been on .5 Klonopin for some time.  Experienced lots of twitching, pins and needles, anxiety, trembling, etc. as if I was actively tapering and I had not even started.  Wish I had asked people on this forum about a reasonable amount to updose.  Consulted with the wrong people (psy who will be helping me with taper,), added .25 to make a total of. .75 a day and spread out dose.  I think I am desperate to stabilize as I have some thyroid issues going on as well that I am working on with medication.  I realize, thanks to Valley and SA members, that I am not ready for a taper and need to stay put for awhile as I have had changes in meds since June and coming off REmeron was huge.  I had hoped to get rid of Ambien at this time via Valium crossover, but am taking good advice and not doing that either.  Hope to make some acquaintances here for future guidance.  Thank you very much.  Lookinup

Lookinup:

Because right now is not a good time to taper for you,  I suggest you up dose slowly over the course of a few weeks to see what is the minimum dose that makes you feel better. Perhaps going up .125 mg for your next step if you need to.  I would wait at least a week or two after each up dose to see how you feel so you give your body time to adjust.  I hope this works for you. 

Hi Lookinup,

I understand that desperation to stabilize and it can be confusing to what that means in benzo wirhdrawal.  When I tapered other medications, I had very clear patterns of stabilization. 

With benzos, it has been harder for me to have those clear patterns.  It's much more up and down for me and the stable days often are just blah days without much joy. So as long as my symtoms are not extreme, that is stabilizing to me

Klonipin is a heavy medication so I had to separate out what the side effects were from the wirhdrawal.  Sometimes they are happening at the same time. 

I wanted to share this because you can get through this as you Learn and understand what stabile is to you and go from there.

You are doing the best you can and reaching out for support when things get tough is a good strategy. 

[39...]

Lookinup:

Because right now is not a good time to taper for you,  I suggest you up dose slowly over the course of a few weeks to see what is the minimum dose that makes you feel better. Perhaps going up .125 mg for your next step if you need to.  I would wait at least a week or two after each up dose to see how you feel so you give your body time to adjust.  I hope this works for you.

Thank you. I appreciate you reaching out.

Ptqnn - glad you made a decision, that is one hurdle you have now jumped over and is behind you.  Now just go forward - it may be a longer journey than you anticipated but you will get there and meet some great people on BB along the way to help you through it. 

Here is wishing you a happy and healthy holiday.

Hey Kgirl!!!!!! Long time no see, I thought I would pop into the site that helped me so much all thru my taper & jumping......Hoping you are doing well!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Fayt thank you - yes my problem is sleep - the fear around not sleeping and the terror that occurs when I don't sleep is debilitating. Now I have added Benzo withdrawal to it which has put things at a whole new level.  So far non benzo sleep aids that have been prescribed do nothing. I am now 5 days back on the klonopin and did not sleep one minute last night. I am beyond terrified and feeling hopeless. I will stop taking it with very rapid taper or just stop - I realize I made the wrong choice going back on. Now I really don't know what to do. Not stable

I've been offline for a few days, taking care of myself. I'm doing well with my taper, now at 0.6075mg and the vodka solution is easy to make and nonperishable.

It's still frustratingly slow. At the same time I'm terrified to go too fast. I don't have much useful to say but hope everyone is doing well.

Hi all,

I was curious what would happen if you translated a 10mg Valium taper into a 0.5mg Klonopin taper, going from the Ashton manual, and using a factor of 20 when converting Valium to Klonopin. I am a cut and hold taperer but I use a vodka solution to get the cuts I want.

The cuts look like this

K taper in mg

Curious to hear your thoughts on it. I really hate Klonopin, I always have (Ativan was my "favorite") but I don't want to cross over to Valium if I can manage.

I've been offline for a few days, taking care of myself. I'm doing well with my taper, now at 0.6075mg and the vodka solution is easy to make and nonperishable.

It's still frustratingly slow. At the same time I'm terrified to go too fast. I don't have much useful to say but hope everyone is doing well.

Glad you are doing well.  I too am creeping along, with a micro dry cut taper.  It's slow for me as well but I can't go any faster.