The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

I'm just dropping a short message to say 'hi'. I was a part of the DLMT thread for several years before it fizzled out, and then I learned about this thread here. I don't jump around BB's a lot, but it's always nice to have a group to connect with. You can see my signature, but the bottom line is that I was on a ton of meds for over two decades (followed docs orders), but on klonopin for all years. I've been doing a really slow taper (due to life circumstances) for almost 4 1/2 years. We'll be in touch, and good luck to all!!

Jeff

Welcome Jeff.  This thread goes on spurts at times.

We all need support to get off these meds and its good to have you here. 

I'm just dropping a short message to say 'hi'. I was a part of the DLMT thread for several years before it fizzled out, and then I learned about this thread here. I don't jump around BB's a lot, but it's always nice to have a group to connect with. You can see my signature, but the bottom line is that I was on a ton of meds for over two decades (followed docs orders), but on klonopin for all years. I've been doing a really slow taper (due to life circumstances) for almost 4 1/2 years. We'll be in touch, and good luck to all!!

Jeff

Thank you!  :)

I did a fast taper of adivan in 2012.  a slow taper of .5 mg K in 2017/2018 (10% every 14 days)

now I'm in a situation of 1.5M K and am wondering if I will have issue b/c I was already on K. my plan was 10% reduction of the previous dose every 7 days?

Thoughts anyone. 

P.s ignore my ticker. 

[d0...]

Jeff

That is very inspirational.  Have you had symptoms all along?  How much do you cut?  Thanks for the encouragement!

I did a fast taper of adivan in 2012.  a slow taper of .5 mg K in 2017/2018 (10% every 14 days)

now I'm in a situation of 1.5M K and am wondering if I will have issue b/c I was already on K. my plan was 10% reduction of the previous dose every 7 days?

Thoughts anyone. 

P.s ignore my ticker.

I can only offer my opinion.

How long have you been on your current dose of K?

The rate you want to taper seems quick to me but I think it depends on how long your have been on your current dosage.  From what I have read it seems a 5-10% reduction would happen every 2 weeks instead of weekly. 

But maybe you can start with with a slightly lower percentage on your first reduction and then see how you respond.  I am moving slower due to being pollydrugged but you may be able to move more quickly. 

I think it depends on how your respond to your first cut and then watching how your body responds. 

I'm sure others will have an opinion as well. 

Jeff

That is very inspirational.  Have you had symptoms all along?  How much do you cut?  Thanks for the encouragement!

Howdy! Yep, I've had symptoms all along. Mainly because I've had to work high-stress jobs that were just more than I could/can handle. I haven't been able to cut consistently at all because of that stress as well as multiple back surgeries, hurricane evacuations, and other fun life events. That's why I still have a long way to go even after 4 1/2 years of "tapering". There's a finish line out there somewhere :) . Next!

One step at a time everybody!

Jeff

Thoughts anyone. 

P.s ignore my ticker.

How long have you been taking the 1.5mg of K?

That's going to affect how well your brain is going to accept a fast taper like that.

If you haven't taken it very long you can taper surprisingly fast.

Thanks final healing and Fayt,

I didn't realized that was considered a fast rate, based on BB typical direct withdrawel method (Withdrawing 10% over 7-14 days and then making another cut)

Been taking Klonipin this time arounds since end of Aug 2019. 

Thanks for your suggestions and please offer up any more if you have some. 

Charlene. 

Charlene you may want do a 'fast rate' but one that leaves you in a bit more control in case your body thinks it is too fast. How about starting at the rate you wish but doing it as a micro taper. This way you are cutting a small amount every day and if you start getting some bad s/x you can just slow it down by not cutting for a few days.  Many of us who took Klonopin found this was an easier and more successful way to get off whether you want to go fast or slow. 

Thanks KGirl10, yes my plan is a dry micro taper via scale of .014 every day which equates to like 10% every 7 days and like you said if it's too fast, I will slow down

Thanks for the confirmation :smitten:

hi I'm Jenn I feel like I keep rewriting the same thing so I just wanted to introduce myself. My doses are listed in signature. I will post more later as I still need to find a Dr. I do have 1 question and this may not be the right thread, but what do u do when you've been cut off and time is ticking, ER? I keep calling numerous Drs but I can't find help. thank you for time and reading this. 

hi I'm Jenn I feel like I keep rewriting the same thing so I just wanted to introduce myself. My doses are listed in signature. I will post more later as I still need to find a Dr. I do have 1 question and this may not be the right thread, but what do u do when you've been cut off and time is ticking, ER? I keep calling numerous Drs but I can't find help. thank you for time and reading this.

Greetings, Dragonflywings.  Welcome to the Klonopin Klub#2 Support Group!

Finding a prescriber who is willing to work with patients on a patient-led, symptom-based taper can be a daunting task!  In case you are not already aware of it, the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC) maintains a database of doctors who may be willing to do this.  I don’t know how up-to-date the database is, but - when I checked just now - two doctors were listed for Texas, both in Austin.  I have included a link to the BIC database below.  I will also send a PM to a member whom I believe lives in your area to ask if she knows of anyone.  Sending you all good thoughts and best wishes for a successful search.  Libertas

Doctors - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition

https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/

Hey Dragonfly, I have a friend in Austin, is that where you are?  I answered you on another thread.

He's off for the day, but I will find out his Dr's name for you tomorrow.  Mary 💜💜

Yes, Thank you!

Hey Dragonfly, I have a friend in Austin, is that where you are?  I answered you on another thread.

He's off for the day, but I will find out his Dr's name for you tomorrow.  Mary 💜💜

Yes, Thank you!

He usually signs on around 9 a m but he's at work, so I will catch him as fast as I can :)

With history of seizure I'm unsure it would be wise to taper without taking something to control the seizures.

Klonopin is used specifically to control seizure so.. :shrug:

Yes, Thank you!

He usually signs on around 9 a m but he's at work, so I will catch him as fast as I can :)

Dragonfly

Dr. Cheryl Clark Brown . Doesn't know if she is taking new patients, will keep my fingers crossed.

Mary 💜💜

You are the best, Mary5588! 

FYI to Dragonflywings: This is one of the docs listed in the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition’s “Find a Doctor” database I referenced earlier.

Thank you, I've tried calling 2 days and left messages, no return call. I did find a place in Austin and go next week for initial consultation and a back up appointment with my initial

prescriber. He refilled my script, so I won't run out phew!!!!

You are welcome. That’s great news on two fronts - you got your original prescriber to refill your Rx and you have an appointment for an initial consultation with a new pdoc next week. Congratulations! Libertas

Edit: typo

Thank you, I've tried calling 2 days and left messages, no return call. I did find a place in Austin and go next week for initial consultation and a back up appointment with my initial

Dr. Cheryl Clarke Brown is a compassionate doctor. Her office can be busy. I wouldn't call her the most benzo knowledgeable doctor, but more than most. She was pretty flexible when I saw her. I'm currently seeing a pretty good resident doctor with the Seton Mind Institute. He seems pretty benzo savvy, but I'm educating him a lot. He did put me on an SNRI, but it was probably a good thing, as it seemed to help. I'll work on getting off that after I am off benzos for awhile.

I am Mary's friend she spoke about.

Yes, it's been cold and rainy here.

Oh, I am so glad to hear that DF, I know it took a lot of stress off you.  :smitten: :smitten:

[0d...]

I’m new here and find these posts might help my situation. I’ve been taking .5 and sometimes .375 Klonopin for sleep sporadically for about 4 years. In the last two months I’ve taken a dose 2-3 times a week although the last two weeks I’ve tried taking it less frequently. One week ago Sunday I took .375 and took the same yesterday.  For years I’d take it in times of high stress for 2-3 days a few times a year. I wouldn’t feel any withdrawal in between. I’ve felt more anxiety the last couple months and haven’t slept well so I took the K more often, as in weekly. I wish I hadn’t done that. I kinda feel like I’ve messed up my nervous system in some way. Until I found the site I didn’t know anything about withdrawal and half life and so many things my doctor never mentioned. Now I’m not sure if my current ramped up anxiety and shaking and fear are from the more frequent use of the K or not. I want to get off it and let my brain heal. I’m thinking it might  be worth trying Breck135’s suggestion of tapering the prn usage instead of going to every day use and tapering. I have an apt this week with a new therapist and hope she has some knowledge about benzo usage and getting off them in a healthy way.

You're not at the level of taking it daily. You're doing pretty good man.

I wish I was in your spot. Don't feel bad. The vast majority of us HAVE to take it daily otherwise withdraw.

There's a million other tools at your disposal given the dose and frequency you're at.

I would suggest something like medium high dose l-theanine. I love the stuff. I take 500mg 3x a day. For

reference I'm a 170lb male.

Theanine is an amino acid found in tea. It helps with sleep and anxiety. I decided to go another route and

buy the raw supplement powder instead of pills because I have a scale and no one had 500mg pills. It's

tasteless and disolves in water so I stir it in to my morning/afternoon/evening tea but you can mix in to water.

Want something even more natural? Exercise, diet, and meditation. Exercise a bit. Eat less refined sugar. And

spend some time meditating and just relaxing when you're feeling stressed instead of trying to push through it.

I'd kill to be in your position.

Also, Benzos are OK to use for moments you predict VERY high anxiety. Don't like dentists? Cool. Take some.

Don't like flying? Cool. After a while the sensation of "fear" around those things diminishes with the use of the

benzos proactively. It's a method used to extinguish fears in people who suffer panic from specific triggers.

Hope you do well and welcome!

Since I last wrote I ended up having horrible insomnia. I tried melatonin, Benedryl, Unisom (doxilamin succinate), mediations, sleep restriction. Last  week the doctor gave me trazodone but when I took it, it plugged up my nose so bad I could only breathe through my mouth.I had 4 no sleep nights from last Wednesday to this Monday. Tuesday the doctor gave me seroquel but the list of side effects creeped me out and I haven’t taken it. Instead I ended up caving and took Klonopin .5 mg the last 3 nights. First night I slept all night, but last two days not as good. I feel like my system is very messed up now. I obsess about whether all the off and on K over the last two months has given me the insomnia. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in two weeks that I’ve never seen before. I know many folks here have gone through much worse and I feel pretty whimpy  in comparison. I’ve always been an anxious and scared person and the insomnia has me in a panic. Anyway I’m thankful for this forum as I don’t have anyone in my life who can relate to benzo use.

boolyn:

Some other "natural" remedies that might help with insomnia are taurine (I take 500 mg--this really, really helps me), ltheanine, magnesium if you can find one that doesn't cause diarrhea, amazon has a brand called triple calm which helps me with insomnia. I know not sleeping is the worst, hope you find relief.

Since I last wrote I ended up having horrible insomnia. I tried melatonin, Benedryl, Unisom (doxilamin succinate), mediations, sleep restriction. Last  week the doctor gave me trazodone but when I took it, it plugged up my nose so bad I could only breathe through my mouth.I had 4 no sleep nights from last Wednesday to this Monday. Tuesday the doctor gave me seroquel but the list of side effects creeped me out and I haven’t taken it. Instead I ended up caving and took Klonopin .5 mg the last 3 nights. First night I slept all night, but last two days not as good. I feel like my system is very messed up now. I obsess about whether all the off and on K over the last two months has given me the insomnia. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in two weeks that I’ve never seen before. I know many folks here have gone through much worse and I feel pretty whimpy  in comparison. I’ve always been an anxious and scared person and the insomnia has me in a panic. Anyway I’m thankful for this forum as I don’t have anyone in my life who can relate to benzo use.

I highly suggest l theanine. You can try taking it in a pretty large dose for sleep 300-500mg without issue.

I use it for sleep. It's pretty good.

You're being given antipsychotics which, I'm unsure of what your doctor thinks your issue is.

I've taken seroquel for one or two days. It was horrific in the fact that I slept 23 hours one day. Never touched

it again.

First off, my biggest piece of advice to you is don't be so hard on yourself. So you took some Klonopin to sleep.

Big fucking deal. Sleep and sanity are thinks we need. You want to get to a stable place.

Your biggest problem seems to be your own obsessions. Let them go. I know that sounds silly because those

obsessions are difficult to let go but the more you try and focus on other things, the less you'll obsess on the

things that are bothering you.

Exercise is really your friend in this.

Ask yourself, what things help you find stability? Happiness? Sleep? It's definitely NOT panic and anxiety.

After you've gotten that list of things for stability, embrace them. They'll pull you back to feeling normal.

Ignore the anti-Benzo lobby of this forum. Sometimes they're needed. Sometimes we're in a shit place in

life and we need some temporary relief. We SHOULD develop other coping mechanisms but we have the

Benzos incase life isn't perfect.. and life typically isn't perfect.

Have you considered taking .25 instead of dropping from .5 to 0?