The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Hi all,

I was curious what would happen if you translated a 10mg Valium taper into a 0.5mg Klonopin taper, going from the Ashton manual, and using a factor of 20 when converting Valium to Klonopin. I am a cut and hold taperer but I use a vodka solution to get the cuts I want.

The cuts look like this

K taper in mg

Curious to hear your thoughts on it. I really hate Klonopin, I always have (Ativan was my "favorite") but I don't want to cross over to Valium if I can manage.

I hate Klonopin too, it does nothing for me 

Are you asking if you can taper the Klonipin using the same taper rare as you would an equivalent dose of Valium?

Im tapering by symtoms with an estimated percentage of reduction thrown in. 

Fayt thank you - yes my problem is sleep - the fear around not sleeping and the terror that occurs when I don't sleep is debilitating. Now I have added Benzo withdrawal to it which has put things at a whole new level.  So far non benzo sleep aids that have been prescribed do nothing. I am now 5 days back on the klonopin and did not sleep one minute last night. I am beyond terrified and feeling hopeless. I will stop taking it with very rapid taper or just stop - I realize I made the wrong choice going back on. Now I really don't know what to do. Not stable

Sorry to hear that ptqnn,

Have you attempted to use the medication I suggested? It works incredibly well.

It's one of the few things I've used in the past when I have sleep issues.

I understand the sleep thing. When I don't sleep well my anxiety is 100x worse. My most recent

panic attacks were caused by lack of sleep and being put in pretty uncomfortable spots.

The only other thing that ever worked for me regarding sleep were very small doses of antipsychotics.

I think I took 1/2 the minimum available dose of Olanzapine (Zyprexa) which is an atypical antipsychotic.

It worked pretty solidly to put me to sleep because well.. I'm not psychotic. The dose was so low that

there wasn't any harm in starting or stopping it and it's side effect profile is very low, especially at that

dose. People typically take 10x that dose or whatever.

The other thing that relaxes me and helps me sleep is guided meditation. One or two of those and I'm

pretty relaxed and ready to sleep. I had a therapist ~10 years ago that would do guided meditation

and hypnosis with me and I'd fall asleep midway through the session.

Fayt

The Ashton translation is .05 mg each cut... I did smaller .03 mg each cut from .555mg clonazepam down to 0 which worked for me but everyone is different. I sometimes wonder if I could have gone faster as my main complaint was stomach pain which went away when I stopped the clonazepam... wonder if it was a side effect *of* the drug and not the taper.

The Ashton translation is .05 mg each cut... I did smaller .03 mg each cut from .555mg clonazepam down to 0 which worked for me but everyone is different. I sometimes wonder if I could have gone faster as my main complaint was stomach pain which went away when I stopped the clonazepam... wonder if it was a side effect *of* the drug and not the taper.

I think the side effects of Clonzapam are strong.  Depression has been my main side effect and only now as I have gotten below

5 has it eased a little.  I have recently added 1 cod liver oil supplement and that could be helping some.  I still feel blah and have sadness but nothing like it was a few weeks ago. 

I'm hoping that it will lessen even more as I get lower.  I know withdrwal also causes depression and fatigue so I have to balance between both.

How is your sleep?

Mine is broken but I get some.  Hoping it wont get to bad as I get lower. 

My sleep is happily back where it was pre-health-stressor. Fall asleep quickly when I first go to bed and after bathroom break. Feel refreshed in morning. I started remembering my dreams again as I got lower and then off...

My sleep is happily back where it was pre-health-stressor. Fall asleep quickly when I first go to bed and after bathroom break. Feel refreshed in morning. I started remembering my dreams again as I got lower and then off...

That is good to hear.  I look forward to feeling refreshed in the morning. 

Jeff are you dry cutting or doing a liquid taper. I can't remember if you posted that.  I'm asking because I am considering switching to a liquid taper and making my own solution.  I dont know if I can handle it because I have reacted badly to compounded liquids in the past.

I just want to be less symptomatic and maybe that's a fantasy because I'm not tapering very fast at this time.  But the sedating and depressing effects of Clonzapamn are really getting to me.

Hey Final!! I'm sorry I'm so late in responding. Anyway, I'm doing a liquid taper. I'm not cutting daily at all because I just can't. Period. There's so much stress in my life that it just makes it impossible for me to do so. Working full-time, financial challenges, etc. I actually did a dry-cut from 6mg k down to about 3mg. It was a tiny bit challenging for me to transfer to liquid, but I did it wrong initially. I tried to convert all at once (because I was advised to do that). I was having a bit of a challenge, and then someone told me to convert a little at a time, I did that, and it was so much better. Thank God for the liquid taper! I'm so sensitive to cuts, so the liquid taper has been super helpful and manageable. I can't imagine doing a dry taper at my current level, but I know that others do. None of my liquid is from a compounding pharmacy. I drop a 1mg tablet into 2 milliliters of vodka, and then get after it. That process has helped so much with symptoms. We all have to do what best fits us. Let's stay in touch!

Take care,

Jeff

Jeff are you dry cutting or doing a liquid taper. I can't remember if you posted that.  I'm asking because I am considering switching to a liquid taper and making my own solution.  I dont know if I can handle it because I have reacted badly to compounded liquids in the past.

I just want to be less symptomatic and maybe that's a fantasy because I'm not tapering very fast at this time.  But the sedating and depressing effects of Clonzapamn are really getting to me.

Hey Final!! I'm sorry I'm so late in responding. Anyway, I'm doing a liquid taper. I'm not cutting daily at all because I just can't. Period. There's so much stress in my life that it just makes it impossible for me to do so. Working full-time, financial challenges, etc. I actually did a dry-cut from 6mg k down to about 3mg. It was a tiny bit challenging for me to transfer to liquid, but I did it wrong initially. I tried to convert all at once (because I was advised to do that). I was having a bit of a challenge, and then someone told me to convert a little at a time, I did that, and it was so much better. Thank God for the liquid taper! I'm so sensitive to cuts, so the liquid taper has been super helpful and manageable. I can't imagine doing a dry taper at my current level, but I know that others do. None of my liquid is from a compounding pharmacy. I drop a 1mg tablet into 2 milliliters of vodka, and then get after it. That process has helped so much with symptoms. We all have to do what best fits us. Let's stay in touch!

Take care,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for responding.  I'm not cutting daily either because it's too much for me.  My cuts tend to be weekly or sometimes 5 days apart.  I hold when symptoms hit, like they are unfortunately doing today. 

I probably will continue dry cutting unless things get rocky.  I has a pretty good week till yesterday. 

Yes, let's stay on touch.

Yes, I guess I was just so curious about whether Valium is so much gentler that, according to Ashton, you can go from 10mg V to zero in only 10 steps, so I calculated it in K mgs.

The biggest fork in the road for me is whether or not to cross over. I realize Ashton was working within the limitations of dry pill cuts. Using titration that can be replicated in the same 10 steps to get from 0.5mg K to zero.

This week I have to hold because of a stressful work week... but I will be on 0.5mg before Xmas and ready to start going down from there after Xmas. I have only one more cut, 0.6075 down to 0.54 before I get to cut to 0.5, woo-hoo.

I hate Klonopin too, it does nothing for me 

Are you asking if you can taper the Klonipin using the same taper rare as you would an equivalent dose of Valium?

Im tapering by symtoms with an estimated percentage of reduction thrown in.

Hey everyone. I’ve been doing a dry cut microtaper of .001 pill weight per day. Is this too slow?

Hello, The Greek.  Can you tell us a bit more?

What is your current total daily dose of clonazepam in milligrams today?

What is your current tapering rate (i.e. over the past 30 days, what percentage reduction have you made in your total daily dose)?

How long have you been tapering at this rate? 

How have your withdrawal symptoms been over this period?  Tolerable?  Consistent from day to day or is there a pattern (better on some days, worse on others)?

When I started my dry cut daily taper I was at .875 mg K. Now down to .72 mg. I’ve been reducing .001mg pill weight every day. I plan to continue doing this reduction rate. I can’t reduce in smaller amounts because my scale only “accurate” to .001. My symptoms are brain vibrating, fullness, rumination. I’m also on 30 mg Remeron.

When I started my dry cut daily taper I was at .875 mg K. Now down to .72 mg. I’ve been reducing .001mg pill weight every day. I plan to continue doing this reduction rate. I can’t reduce in smaller amounts because my scale only “accurate” to .001. My symptoms are brain vibrating, fullness, rumination. I’m also on 30 mg Remeron.

Does this sound right to you? (Other group members - please check my math!)

From April 21 to June 3, you made a 7.4% reduction in dose (from .875mg to .8125mg) over about a month for a taper rate of 7.4% a month.

From June 3 to date, you made a 11.38% reduction in your dose (from .8125mg to .72mg) over about 6 months for a taper rate of 1.9% a month - that’s a very conservative taper rate.

I held at .875 for 4 months trying to stabilize after making big cuts previously from 1.75 mg. Instead of stabilizing I was becoming worse so then I started the Remeron to help with my symptoms. Initially I cut from 1.75 mg to 1 mg in one shot then went from 1 mg to .875 over a couple of months, then held until I resumed my taper in mid October.

I held at .875 for 4 months trying to stabilize after making big cuts previously from 1.75 mg. Instead of stabilizing I was becoming worse so then I started the Remeron to help with my symptoms. Initially I cut from 1.75 mg to 1 mg in one shot then went from 1 mg to .875 over a couple of months, then held until I resumed my taper in mid October.

Bob 7 cut at that rate; he is off I think about a year and is doing mostly well. If it works for you, I would stick with it. If symptoms ramp up, then hold or cut that amount only a few times a week. Good luck.

FYI

Bob7 began reducing at .001mg (mg of clonazepam not weight of pill) when he reached a total daily dose of 0.125mg.  Before that, he reduced at a faster rate.  Here’s his sig:

13 years 0.5 mg (average).

I reduced 1/8 of a pill per month for 6 months and was ok. 

When I got down to 0.125 mg, I got heart palpitations, insomnia, anxiety, short of breath, back pain, no stamina, and chest pains. 

I held at 0.125 mg for 8 weeks to get stable (Buspar may have helped).

I then did a new taper method described in this link: https://benzodrytapermath.com/

This got me to zero Klonopin with tolerable symptoms on August 30, 2018.

To see my progress after Klonopin, go to this link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=209038.0

Take care,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for responding.  I'm not cutting daily either because it's too much for me.  My cuts tend to be weekly or sometimes 5 days apart.  I hold when symptoms hit, like they are unfortunately doing today. 

I probably will continue dry cutting unless things get rocky.  I has a pretty good week till yesterday. 

Good for you! Stay at it. Yep, dry cutting may get a bit tedious when you hit the super low doses, but maybe you'll breeze on through. You just never really know. I'm at about .087 mg/day at this point, and dry cutting would be brutal for me. I do a mega-tiny cut and then hold for a week or so depending on the daily challenges I'm faced with at any given moment. Lots of family stuff right now along with financial and work challenges. I'm doing the full-time work thing, but it's way too much. Withdrawal sx and everything else make it all a real killer most of the time. I would love part-time because it would be enough to keep me involved with the world as well as quality time to heal. Gotta take what we have though, right? Deal with things and move on to the next. Positive stuff to come for both of us.

Have a ridiculously awesome holiday time! Catch you later.

Jeff

Take care,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Good for you! Stay at it. Yep, dry cutting may get a bit tedious when you hit the super low doses, but maybe you'll breeze on through. You just never really know. I'm at about .087 mg/day at this point, and dry cutting would be brutal for me. I do a mega-tiny cut and then hold for a week or so depending on the daily challenges I'm faced with at any given moment. Lots of family stuff right now along with financial and work challenges. I'm doing the full-time work thing, but it's way too much. Withdrawal sx and everything else make it all a real killer most of the time. I would love part-time because it would be enough to keep me involved with the world as well as quality time to heal. Gotta take what we have though, right? Deal with things and move on to the next. Positive stuff to come for both of us.

Jeff

Jeff did you have someone help you with the liquid taper conversion?  I'm super sensitive too and really feel the cuts these days.  Are you symptomatic on the small liquid cuts that you do? 

I'm feeling really stuck right now in my taper.

Take care,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Jeff

Jeff did you have someone help you with the liquid taper conversion?  I'm super sensitive too and really feel the cuts these days.  Are you symptomatic on the small liquid cuts that you do? 

Hey Final, don't beat yourself up, my friend. It's all a part of the journey. All you can do today is all you can do. Try not to spend too much time focusing on the process, and do your best to get out and be as "normal" as you can (whatever that it). I distract all I can, but yes, I can and mostly do get pretty symptomatic on the small liquid cuts that you mentioned. I did have someone initially help me with the liquid taper conversion, but they had me switch to all liquid from the very beginning. That was pretty nuts, I listened to my body, and knew there had to be a better and more gradual way. I very slowly then tapered my first daily dose (I dose 3x/day), held for a little while, then began liquifying my second daily dose etc. until I got to full liquid. Much better! I'm so freakin' sensitive to everything that I'm amazed I've even gotten this far. If somebody even so much as farts in my direction then I'll probably get sx of some kind. It's crazy. I've had people for years tell me to try this supplement for this side effect or that supplement for that side effect, but nothing ever worked. My body just rejected it all. Still does. Finally, I learned to just let it all go, take things an hour or a day at a time, put real food and really good filtered water in my body, get sun exposure, found a good meditation for me, learned to say 'no' to activities and functions and people that created more stress/anxiety, made sure I had downtime and nature/quiet time, yada, yada, yada. You might feel stuck at this point in your taper, but you're probably where you need to be and you're probably in a space of some kind that's ultimately helping you find what works for you. Things will even out over time. Just keep searching for your answers, but don't search TOO hard. :). Maybe it's kind of a "accomplish more by trying less" kind of thing.

Try to do something enjoyable in the next hour without thinking about this taper thing. You can do it!! It's ok.

Take care,

Jeff

Take care,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Jeff

Hey Final, don't beat yourself up, my friend. It's all a part of the journey. All you can do today is all you can do. Try not to spend too much time focusing on the process, and do your best to get out and be as "normal" as you can (whatever that it). I distract all I can, but yes, I can and mostly do get pretty symptomatic on the small liquid cuts that you mentioned. I did have someone initially help me with the liquid taper conversion, but they had me switch to all liquid from the very beginning. That was pretty nuts, I listened to my body, and knew there had to be a better and more gradual way. I very slowly then tapered my first daily dose (I dose 3x/day), held for a little while, then began liquifying my second daily dose etc. until I got to full liquid. Much better! I'm so freakin' sensitive to everything that I'm amazed I've even gotten this far. If somebody even so much as farts in my direction then I'll probably get sx of some kind. It's crazy. I've had people for years tell me to try this supplement for this side effect or that supplement for that side effect, but nothing ever worked. My body just rejected it all. Still does. Finally, I learned to just let it all go, take things an hour or a day at a time, put real food and really good filtered water in my body, get sun exposure, found a good meditation for me, learned to say 'no' to activities and functions and people that created more stress/anxiety, made sure I had downtime and nature/quiet time, yada, yada, yada. You might feel stuck at this point in your taper, but you're probably where you need to be and you're probably in a space of some kind that's ultimately helping you find what works for you. Things will even out over time. Just keep searching for your answers, but don't search TOO hard. :). Maybe it's kind of a "accomplish more by trying less" kind of thing.

Try to do something enjoyable in the next hour without thinking about this taper thing. You can do it!! It's ok.

Take care,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I've always been sensitive and medication has heightened that even more.  I'm trying to take it easy and keep my stress low.  I'm working a little and sometimes get out for walks but these past days it's been hard.  I've cried more tears in the past months than I have my whole life and I dont have problems with emotions. 

Thanks for your words of encouragement. 

Take care,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Jeff

Take care,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I've always been sensitive and medication has heightened that even more.  I'm trying to take it easy and keep my stress low.  I'm working a little and sometimes get out for walks but these past days it's been hard.  I've cried more tears in the past months than I have my whole life and I dont have problems with emotions. 

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Your finish line is gonna be real sweet :)

Jeff

[0e...]

Hey

I wanted to chime in on a post for the klonopin klub as I am tapering off of this mess as well and would love to be in touch with y’all for mutual support. Currently my withdrawal symptoms have me feeling isolated and alone and I would like to make some friends on here that I can talk to daily.

So much love and empathy for your process

-Lib

Hey

I wanted to chime in on a post for the klonopin klub as I am tapering off of this mess as well and would love to be in touch with y’all for mutual support. Currently my withdrawal symptoms have me feeling isolated and alone and I would like to make some friends on here that I can talk to daily.

So much love and empathy for your process

-Lib

Welcome Lib.  Sometimes the Klonipin Klub is not so active but I would love it to pick up some traction.

I too feel isolated at times and it would be good to keep this thread going. 

What dose are you tapering from?

Please keep posting and hopefully others will too.