But I’ve got to sleep since I work

Able to sleep 5 to 6 hrs sometimes

more. Ask dr about try gabapentin

for sleep to stop the cloz

but no go

I will have to look up propranolol

and see what it does

Thank you

My crazy opinion would be to not add another drug to the mix. It would just be another one to get off later and who knows how it would interact with k currently. Gaba and prop can be some scary stuff. I work full-time too and it's a massive challenge, but you can figure out a way to sleep without Rx's. It's takes a while, but find a routine or some healthy supplement(s)/food to use for sleep so your body can adjust to sleep in a positive and helpful way. That would probably be easier to sustain in the long run rather than more meds. The body adapts after a while. For example, I was taking enough meds to sink a ship for a long while ((over two decades), but now I just take a bit of melatonin at night as well as a tablespoon or two of almond butter or coconut oil to help suppress the adrenaline/cortisol surges that woke me up so often in the middle of the night. That along with a stress-reduction technique (soft music, meditation, etc.) helps a lot with sleep too. The whole process may be a couple of steps backwards but three steps forward. Like everybody, your situation is unique to you, so you'll do whatever you think is best. If a med is best for you at this moment, then go for it. Explore, experiment, and move on to the next step! Your finish line is out there somewhere :)

Take care,

Jeff

One big problem I have is I feel

guilty I take the cloz.

It is a disturbing psych issue.

My dose has not changed.

I take most at bedtime and wake feeling

guilty. I developed psych issues.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

I did not start taper due to my Mental

Health instability. I still work and have to sleep.

Ty

So I know people are often concerned about using any herbs/natural remedies that might affect gaba, but after two weeks of rough sleep--which not even my medical marijuana was helping much with--I have been using a small (6 ounces) of chamomile tea at night with some hops flowers steeped in it. It tastes awful but I have been sleeping well. Just throwing it out there in case others would like to try. Everything is worse when we don't sleep!

So I know people are often concerned about using any herbs/natural remedies that might affect gaba, but after two weeks of rough sleep--which not even my medical marijuana was helping much with--I have been using a small (6 ounces) of chamomile tea at night with some hops flowers steeped in it. It tastes awful but I have been sleeping well. Just throwing it out there in case others would like to try. Everything is worse when we don't sleep!

This is good to hear NJS.  I'm struggling some with sleep right now.  It takes me ages to relax at night, even though that is my heavier dose. I am going to go back to adding a little melatonin back in but will keep the chamomile in mind. 

This is good to hear NJS.  I'm struggling some with sleep right now.  It takes me ages to relax at night, even though that is my heavier dose. I am going to go back to adding a little melatonin back in but will keep the chamomile in mind.

I'll be honest ... I think it is really the hops that is making a difference. Chamomile on its own does help me relax but the hops knocks me out. I know melatonin causes nausea for me except in tiny doses (I take 333 mcg).

2 days ago I cut to 0.4mg and I'm functioning. I'm reconsidering whether to cross over to Valium at some point. One of my symptoms is paranoia, and I'm worried that my homebrew skills, however careful I am, are not good enough.

I do a simple vodka/water solution and I've been doing that since I was at below 0.75mg.

Hope everyone is doing well.

2 days ago I cut to 0.4mg and I'm functioning. I'm reconsidering whether to cross over to Valium at some point. One of my symptoms is paranoia, and I'm worried that my homebrew skills, however careful I am, are not good enough.

I do a simple vodka/water solution and I've been doing that since I was at below 0.75mg.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I too have questioned my method of tapering many times because I always worry that I'm doing something wrong.  I think it when I am feeling symptoms or just the plain fear that benzo withdrawal causes. 

I do think that fear, paranoia, worry and terror are all part of the benzo injury that we have suffered.  That's only my personal opinion but I have been out of my mind with fear many times during this journey but when I am more stable, I have more rational thinking. 

Do you have to make the decision now?  I ask because unless you are really struggling, it might make things rockier for you.  It does take time to cross over and then you need to get used to the Valium.  I'm not telling you what to do and if you do cross over, there are many supports here to do so. 

I'm doing okay after my last cut and I'm hoping that I can stay at least in the blah zone most of the time. 

HaveaGreatDay - if you are not having a bad time tapering Klonopin than it is my suggestion that you stay with the benzo you know. You can always slow down your taper if you are using a liquid taper and also put more days in between your cuts.  Many of us have successfully tapered off of K.  IMHO the fewer changes you make the better you off you will be when it comes to a benzo taper. 

Thank you.

The reason I would want to switch is so that I can travel with my pills instead of making homebrew solutions (multiples of 2mg Valium pills). But I have to think about this. Nothing's been decided.

There's a chance I'll be finished with my taper by the time I would travel, but I just don't know.

"I was taking enough meds to sink a ship for a long while ((over two decades), but now I just take a bit of melatonin at night as well as a tablespoon or two of almond butter or coconut oil to help suppress the adrenaline/cortisol surges that woke me up so often in the middle of the night."

Jeff,

Taking almond butter or coconut oil at night helps relieve cortisol surges?  Where did you find this information?  I've been on here for hours this morning looking for ways to deal with high cortisol in the morning that is creating extreme anxiety for me.  I am excited to hear that this helps!  Please tell me more? 

Mai

"I was taking enough meds to sink a ship for a long while ((over two decades), but now I just take a bit of melatonin at night as well as a tablespoon or two of almond butter or coconut oil to help suppress the adrenaline/cortisol surges that woke me up so often in the middle of the night."

Jeff,

Taking almond butter or coconut oil at night helps relieve cortisol surges?  Where did you find this information?  I've been on here for hours this morning looking for ways to deal with high cortisol in the morning that is creating extreme anxiety for me.  I am excited to hear that this helps!  Please tell me more? 

Mai

I tried everything under the sun to help with cortisol/adrenaline surges. I'm the odd guy out though. When something works for me it almost never works for anyone else that I come in contact with. And, when nothing works for most others, it tends to help me a bit. Also, I have what most people call high-functioning autism. My brain is pretty whacked, and is probably the reason I got led down the horror road of psych meds, etc. Anyway, I got desperate with the sleep thing (among others) and found a functional medicine doc about an hour and a half from me. I was in no position to afford him, but I slapped it on the credit card and spent an entire day with him as well as phone follow-ups maybe once a quarter. He essentially led me to Kelly Brogan (psychiatrist in NY) who I started reading about. I didn't agree with all of her tactics, but long story, we ended up on the phone together as a social call mostly. She told me how organic coconut oil and organic almond butter (real organic...no other ingredients) can often even-out the effects of cortisol. The science made sense, so I tried it. It works best for me when I don't take it every single night. I usually have one large tablespoon of one or the other just before going to bed. Another thing I throw in is two 1000 mg capsules of extended release vitamin C. I learned about the vitamin C and cortisol from a functional medicine nurse friend as well as a benzo buddie friend I met here years ago. I do take the vitamin C every single night. I didn't have a problem trying the coconut or almond butter and vitamin C since they are essentially foods. It all definitely helps BUT (for me) it has to be done in conjunction with something that calms me down in the evening and before going to bed. Easier said than done. It doesn't take much at all to get me amped up, so I have to be careful...turn off the TV, put on some calming music, meditate or whatever...just do what I can to shutdown. That's the really hard part. Kelly said that eating healthy fats for dinner followed by the coconut/almond thing before bed really helps level out the blood sugar levels and cortisol. I messed around and experimented with things and found something that helps a lot. I hope you (and others) can too! We all have our individual battles and therefore need to find our individual "therapies" to win the war. :)

Take care!

Jeff

There is a whole protocol (root cause protocol? I am not sure now) that talks about magnesium and adrenal cocktails which I think are orange juice, maybe sea salt and cream of tartar? I am not sure now. But others on benzobuddies have used the adrenal cocktail so maybe if adrenaline surges are a thing, that might help you. I have to say that now a year+ into my updose and hold I am finally not waking up with a racing heart anymore. It took forever to go away. And my resting heart rate is a bit lower although still on the high side.

I use an adrenal cocktail twice a day.  I used to wake up with adrenaline or cortisol surges.  So now I drink, 1/2 cup of oj (all natural) with 1/4 tsp pink sea salt, 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar twice a day.  It stopped the surges but I do still have morning anxiey but not the low cortisol surges.  I had a 4pt saliva test for my cortisol and it showed up low. 

I also take magnesium gylcinate to help me sleep. I still am anxious at night but I think that's due to my fear of not sleeping and the fact that Clonzapam has never really helped. 

When started with the adrenal cocktail, I started with one a day and then moved to two.  I drink them at 10am and then 3 or 4pm.

I find some of Kelly Brogans information helpful but like Jeff, there is a lot I don't agree with.  Some of it is too superficial and generic in terms of advice.  My peers on BB and other benzo sited have much more experience and depth of knowledge. Just my two cents.

Ultra, NJ and Final

Thank you! This is such helpful information.  I am going to try an adrenal cocktail.  Have y'all also adjusted your every day diet in other ways?  I have omitted caffeine, alcohol, sugar, starches and white flour products.  I don't know if I should get rid of all grains?  I'm still eating steel cut oats, wild rice and occasionally some basmati rice. 

Mai

I use an adrenal cocktail twice a day.  I used to wake up with adrenaline or cortisol surges.  So now I drink, 1/2 cup of oj (all natural) with 1/4 tsp pink sea salt, 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar twice a day.  It stopped the surges but I do still have morning anxiey but not the low cortisol surges.  I had a 4pt saliva test for my cortisol and it showed up low. 

I also take magnesium gylcinate to help me sleep. I still am anxious at night but I think that's due to my fear of not sleeping and the fact that Clonzapam has never really helped. 

When started with the adrenal cocktail, I started with one a day and then moved to two.  I drink them at 10am and then 3 or 4pm.

I find some of Kelly Brogans information helpful but like Jeff, there is a lot I don't agree with.  Some of it is too superficial and generic in terms of advice.  My peers on BB and other benzo sited have much more experience and depth of knowledge. Just my two cents.

:thumbsup:  Sometimes I hate to mention her name but I kind of had to here since she was a part of my process in getting from A to B. Yep, I too tried the adrenal cocktail but it didn't help at all. You just never know!! We all keep experimenting until we find what works for each of us. Next!

Jeff

:thumbsup:  Sometimes I hate to mention her name but I kind of had to here since she was a part of my process in getting from A to B. Yep, I too tried the adrenal cocktail but it didn't help at all. You just never know!! We all keep experimenting until we find what works for each of us. Next!

Jeff

Yes, trying things slowly and then sticking with what works helps me feel secure during this up and down process. 

Ultra, NJ and Final

Thank you! This is such helpful information.  I am going to try an adrenal cocktail.  Have y'all also adjusted your every day diet in other ways?  I have omitted caffeine, alcohol, sugar, starches and white flour products.  I don't know if I should get rid of all grains?  I'm still eating steel cut oats, wild rice and occasionally some basmati rice. 

Mai

Your diet looks really good to me. I've had numerous medical people and benzo buddy friends tell me that it's also WHEN you eat that's important. I was told to eat a healthy fat later in the evening simply to help with blood sugar/cortisol regulation. Good luck to you no matter what you do!

Jeff

Ultra, NJ and Final

Mai

Your diet looks really good to me. I've had numerous medical people and benzo buddy friends tell me that it's also WHEN you eat that's important. I was told to eat a healthy fat later in the evening simply to help with blood sugar/cortisol regulation. Good luck to you no matter what you do!

Jeff

I agree, your diet looks good.  I continue to eat rice, gluten free oatmeal, and sweet potatoes.  So far it's been okay.   

I don't have much of an appetite so I have to force my self to eat but it's important. 

Let's us know how you like the cocktail.  It took about a week or so for me to really feel a difference. 

I wanted to post myself today.

Not feeling so great due to my last cut on Friday.  I knew it would happen but going through it always feels lousy. 

Also, my sleep is rocky right now.  It takes me a long time to fall asleep, even with a heavier dose at night and the smaller dose intake in the morning just sedated me. 

I take my doses 3 times a day with the morning and afternoon dose equaling about half of the night time dose.  As soon as my daytime doses are exactly even, which will take 1 more cut, I plan to start trimming across all 3 doses but cutting more from the nightime. 

Its just one of those days where I feel far from my goal and my mood is low. 

FH: sorry you aren't feeeling well. Hopefully you will even out in a few days. I don't know where you live but it is a gray day here today which never helps my mood.

Thanks NJS.

I'm on the East Coast and it is grey today.  I got out for a walk yesterday and will try again today.  These days are long when the symptoms hit. 

Yes I'm hoping things even out soon. 

Thanks NJS.

I'm on the East Coast and it is grey today.  I got out for a walk yesterday and will try again today.  These days are long when the symptoms hit. 

Yes I'm hoping things even out soon.

As you know, Final, I'm always the weird one. I get super low when it gets sunny and warm here during the "winter" months. Makes no sense, I know. I'm in the Hilton Head area in SC, so we tend to not get much winter, but for me it's nice when we do. We're around 80 and sunny today (84 in nearby Savannah, GA). I'm mega low, but just trying to be positive. I can deal with sunny and 95 in the summer, but I like a taste of winter when possible. Just flat out weird. I grew up in New Orleans and then graduated from LSU in Baton Rouge (Geaux Tigers!) before heading to Southern California, so heat and humidity are just fine in the summers. We all have our battles. Hang tight!

Jeff