The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

[68...]

Lookingup:

Boy can I relate to your symptoms :thumbsup:  I experienced everything you are sharing and I did taper off Paxil pretty

quickly and then clonazepam at a slower rate, at least the last half of my 2 mg.  The cold thing for me was my thyroid and

as soon as I started taking a low dose, that symptoms was gone. I am now tapering off thyroid.  I have felt like I have neuropathy in my feet with a severe burning feeling and that has gone from full time to occasionally. The itching thing was real for me, too.  The heart palpitations which were severe after a heart attack have virtually gone away and my heart is healthy again at 5 months off.

Congratulations on getting off the Remeron and I guess I could suggest that it doesn't matter what caused the withdrawal symptoms, things will get better with time.  Things have gone way better than I had expected given my long term use and high dosage of C.

Where do you go?  Stay the course with your taper and remember that you will begin true healing when these drugs are out of

your system: so said Dr. Ashton.

Hang in there, Klonkar

I really appreciate hearing from you.  Wish I known abut how to properly taper AD’s then maybe the Mirtz. Withdrawal would not have been as bad. So, do you thinkI need to get started on the benzo taper since it is most likely playing a role here?  Feel horrible, but want to start moving forward.  Did you feel horrible when you realized you were in tolerance and needed to get going?  Sorry to hear about your heart attack.  Glad you are recovered and off Benzos too.  Thank you!

Libertas,

Sorry you had trouble also with homemade liquid.  Is the prescription preparation working out well for you and would you mind sharing more info? 

I think I am still moving to Valium (1/3 dose crossed and it's been a tough 2 weeks but some things are better - still just dealing with some weird head sensations, which was pain but is calming) - will probably dry cut/weigh based on my experience with the Klonopin liquid but it's always good to have options.  Seeing my doctor tomorrow.

[68...]

Hello,

I am getting more and more symptoms that make me feel they are Klonopin related:  numbness around mouth and on bottoms of feet, adrenaline surges with fast heart beat, twitching, pins and needles.  Have been on .5 Klonopin for very long time.  I am afraid Mirtazapine withdrawal destabilized it.  Thank you,  What do I do. 

Lookinup

Hello,

I am getting more and more symptoms that make me feel they are Klonopin related:  numbness around mouth and on bottoms of feet, adrenaline surges with fast heart beat, twitching, pins and needles.  Have been on .5 Klonopin for very long time.  I am afraid Mirtazapine withdrawal destabilized it.  Thank you,  What do I do. 

Lookinup

Same here..... Although I've tapered quickly I've been holding on .5 mg K/day for close to 6 weeks.  The most difficult times seem to have passed but still get tinnitus, pins/needles (plus weird crawling thingies) and sometimes the brain just feels strange.  Awhile back it was suggested I either updose or hold on until the brain/body catch up.  I seem to be of the stubborn variety of alien beings and will continue to hold with the anticipation this will pass (as the other stuff has)  :idiot:

[68...]

Hello,

Lookinup

Feel panicky all the time? 

Same here..... Although I've tapered quickly I've been holding on .5 mg K/day for close to 6 weeks.  The most difficult times seem to have passed but still get tinnitus, pins/needles (plus weird crawling thingies) and sometimes the brain just feels strange.  Awhile back it was suggested I either updose or hold on until the brain/body catch up.  I seem to be of the stubborn variety of alien beings and will continue to hold with the anticipation this will pass (as the other stuff has)  :idiot:

Feel panicky all the time? 

Back in the day I was prescribed K for anxiety attacks. Oddly enough, while tapering I've not had this issue.  Periodically I'll think about it, but it's simply not happened (fingers crossed).  Each of us have unique experiences.......   

Lookinup,

Did you go to the ambiem thread. Ambien causes alot of the sx yoy describe. When did you start getting these sx. So you have been at .5 k for s year and a half?

[68...]

Lookinup,

Did you go to the ambiem thread. Ambien causes alot of the sx yoy describe. When did you start getting these sx. So you have been at .5 k for s year and a half?

. I have been at .5 for at least that.  Interesting about the Ambien.  It has a shorter half life. Don’t know how to address that especially since it will most likely affect the Klonopin level.  Thank you1

Hi there, just wanted some advice. I have been using klonopin 1.5mg once every 3 days for 1-2 years (sorry not 100% sure how long but around that). I have been told the best way to begin a taper from other members is to turn this into a daily dose first so it is consistent; so am going to do 0.5mg a day for a few weeks and see how I feel; then from there commence a 10% reduction taper every 10 days. Just wanted to get verification I am doing this right. So I am taking 0.5mg a day for 10 days, then I drop 10% . . so that would mean I am taking 0.45mg a day for 10 days. 10% of that would mean around 0.40mg a day for 10 days, then the next taper would be around 0.35mg a day for 10 days. Does this sound accurate or have I got it all completely wrong? (presuming 0.5mg a day is an amount I can handle)

[64...]
Looking for some advise on getting off prn Klonopin that I’ve used infrequently for about 4 years. My dose is .5mg at night for insomnia. Usually I’ve taken the K for two or three nights at times of anxiety induced insomnia and then would go months before taking it again. Never had any in between symptoms. Then this year I lost my aunt to cancer which ramped up my insomnia and over the last 8 weeks I’ve retaken the K an average of twice a week. I took .375 mg a week ago and then last night I had really bad shaking which kept me from sleeping so I took .375 mg. I’m not sure how to taper off since I don’t take it daily. My doctor has given me Trazodone to try for insomnia since she doesn’t want to keep prescribing K. The insomnia is really frustrating but after what I’ve learned about Benzos in the last week on this site and others  I wish I’d never been prescribed it. I’ve long had health anxiety so now I’m worried I’ve developed or will develop a dependency on K even though I use it infrequently. Thanks everyone.

Hi there, just wanted some advice. I have been using klonopin 1.5mg once every 3 days for 1-2 years (sorry not 100% sure how long but around that). I have been told the best way to begin a taper from other members is to turn this into a daily dose first so it is consistent; so am going to do 0.5mg a day for a few weeks and see how I feel; then from there commence a 10% reduction taper every 10 days. Just wanted to get verification I am doing this right. So I am taking 0.5mg a day for 10 days, then I drop 10% . . so that would mean I am taking 0.45mg a day for 10 days. 10% of that would mean around 0.40mg a day for 10 days, then the next taper would be around 0.35mg a day for 10 days. Does this sound accurate or have I got it all completely wrong? (presuming 0.5mg a day is an amount I can handle)

Hi, I can't advise you on your dosage, but if you calculate a percent reduction, it would be from each dose. A 10 percent reduction of 0.5mg is 0.45mg, but then going forward the calculations are different than what you have.

You can take a calculator and multiply your dose by .9 to get 90 percent (what you would take) and it looks like this:

Not saying that is what you should do, but that is the difference between calculating a reduction from your starting dose vs from a reduction from your current dose wherever you are in your taper, if that makes sense.

[68...]

Hello,

Lookinup

Is it safe to have the w/d symptoms and stay there?  I don’t know whether to updose slightly or not.  I get those feelings all the time.

Is it safe to have the w/d symptoms and stay there?  I don’t know whether to updose slightly or not.  I get those feelings all the time.

lookinup, Since my original dose was higher, holding at .5 K currently works (for me). At the next doc visit we'll be discussing two things  1) Hold with w/d ....or... 2) taper with w/d.  Part 2 of that discussion will be when I get to zero ....there needs to be a plan B and C in place.

As far as updosing.....that's individual.  Sorry you've had those strange sensations.  Often I read that one day they'll pass.

I know that a lot of people advise going to a daily dose. This is just my opinion ... I would not do this. I took klonopin on and off not consistently for many years and never had a problem stopping for weeks or months at a time, it was when a doctor said take every day that I had a problem and i literally now cannot get off. I would see if you could go to 1.25 every three days, then 1 mg or smaller drops if you need to. And try to increase days between doses. Again my opinion. I hope it all goes well for you.

I know that a lot of people advise going to a daily dose. This is just my opinion ... I would not do this. I took klonopin on and off not consistently for many years and never had a problem stopping for weeks or months at a time, it was when a doctor said take every day that I had a problem and i literally now cannot get off. I would see if you could go to 1.25 every three days, then 1 mg or smaller drops if you need to. And try to increase days between doses. Again my opinion. I hope it all goes well for you.

Prior to tapering I high dose K "prn".  About 2 weeks after I started a daily dose, my cns wasn't in agreement. If I were to do this over, my wiser self would suggest journaling the "prn" dosing for a few weeks prior to tapering.  Then I'd taper on the "prn" basis which was revealed in the journal during the planning period.  IMO, NJ makes a very reasonable suggestion, however you'll decide what is best for you. 

[64...]

Prior to tapering I high dose K "prn".  About 2 weeks after I started a daily dose, my cns wasn't in agreement. If I were to do this over, my wiser self would suggest journaling the "prn" dosing for a few weeks prior to tapering.  Then I'd taper on the "prn" basis which was revealed in the journal during the planning period.  IMO, NJ makes a very reasonable suggestion, however you'll decide what is best for you.

I’m new here and find these posts might help my situation. I’ve been taking .5 and sometimes .375 Klonopin for sleep sporadically for about 4 years. In the last two months I’ve taken a dose 2-3 times a week although the last two weeks I’ve tried taking it less frequently. One week ago Sunday I took .375 and took the same yesterday.  For years I’d take it in times of high stress for 2-3 days a few times a year. I wouldn’t feel any withdrawal in between. I’ve felt more anxiety the last couple months and haven’t slept well so I took the K more often, as in weekly. I wish I hadn’t done that. I kinda feel like I’ve messed up my nervous system in some way. Until I found the site I didn’t know anything about withdrawal and half life and so many things my doctor never mentioned. Now I’m not sure if my current ramped up anxiety and shaking and fear are from the more frequent use of the K or not. I want to get off it and let my brain heal. I’m thinking it might  be worth trying Breck135’s suggestion of tapering the prn usage instead of going to every day use and tapering. I have an apt this week with a new therapist and hope she has some knowledge about benzo usage and getting off them in a healthy way.

I’m new here and find these posts might help my situation. I’ve been taking .5 and sometimes .375 Klonopin for sleep sporadically for about 4 years. In the last two months I’ve taken a dose 2-3 times a week although the last two weeks I’ve tried taking it less frequently. One week ago Sunday I took .375 and took the same yesterday.  For years I’d take it in times of high stress for 2-3 days a few times a year. I wouldn’t feel any withdrawal in between. I’ve felt more anxiety the last couple months and haven’t slept well so I took the K more often, as in weekly. I wish I hadn’t done that. I kinda feel like I’ve messed up my nervous system in some way. Until I found the site I didn’t know anything about withdrawal and half life and so many things my doctor never mentioned. Now I’m not sure if my current ramped up anxiety and shaking and fear are from the more frequent use of the K or not. I want to get off it and let my brain heal. I’m thinking it might  be worth trying Breck135’s suggestion of tapering the prn usage instead of going to every day use and tapering. I have an apt this week with a new therapist and hope she has some knowledge about benzo usage and getting off them in a healthy way.

I hope your experience is different, but I don't find that most therapists or doctors know how to get off in a safe way. That's why so many are here. Most dismiss symptoms or attribute it to symptoms that the benzo is treating returning. Keep checking in here to let us know how you are doing! Your symptoms may be your body wanting more K which is why it is smart to try to get off now.

You're not at the level of taking it daily. You're doing pretty good man.

I wish I was in your spot. Don't feel bad. The vast majority of us HAVE to take it daily otherwise withdraw.

There's a million other tools at your disposal given the dose and frequency you're at.

I would suggest something like medium high dose l-theanine. I love the stuff. I take 500mg 3x a day. For

reference I'm a 170lb male.

Theanine is an amino acid found in tea. It helps with sleep and anxiety. I decided to go another route and

buy the raw supplement powder instead of pills because I have a scale and no one had 500mg pills. It's

tasteless and disolves in water so I stir it in to my morning/afternoon/evening tea but you can mix in to water.

Want something even more natural? Exercise, diet, and meditation. Exercise a bit. Eat less refined sugar. And

spend some time meditating and just relaxing when you're feeling stressed instead of trying to push through it.

I'd kill to be in your position.

Also, Benzos are OK to use for moments you predict VERY high anxiety. Don't like dentists? Cool. Take some.

Don't like flying? Cool. After a while the sensation of "fear" around those things diminishes with the use of the

benzos proactively. It's a method used to extinguish fears in people who suffer panic from specific triggers.

Hope you do well and welcome!

Since mid-August I've been able to come down from 1.25mg to 0.75mg (as of 5 days ago).

I'm going to let myself feel proud about that. This was the dose I was on before my doctor let me updose last year during a stressful time. This same doctor appreciated when I emailed him the Ashton manual recently. He was actually really excited about it.

Don't forget to celebrate your successes no matter how small. The old "me" would have said to myself "ugh but I have so long to go to get to zero!" but I learned quickly over the past 2 months that negative thinking makes my symptoms worse. I am so grateful for this lesson. I'm starting to let go of all the negativity and happenings that led to me being on these drugs in the first place and all the frustration of realizing I'm physically dependent on them (for the time being).

[64...]

You're not at the level of taking it daily. You're doing pretty good man.

I wish I was in your spot. Don't feel bad. The vast majority of us HAVE to take it daily otherwise withdraw.

There's a million other tools at your disposal given the dose and frequency you're at.

I would suggest something like medium high dose l-theanine. I love the stuff. I take 500mg 3x a day. For

reference I'm a 170lb male.

Theanine is an amino acid found in tea. It helps with sleep and anxiety. I decided to go another route and

buy the raw supplement powder instead of pills because I have a scale and no one had 500mg pills. It's

tasteless and disolves in water so I stir it in to my morning/afternoon/evening tea but you can mix in to water.

Want something even more natural? Exercise, diet, and meditation. Exercise a bit. Eat less refined sugar. And

spend some time meditating and just relaxing when you're feeling stressed instead of trying to push through it.

I'd kill to be in your position.

Also, Benzos are OK to use for moments you predict VERY high anxiety. Don't like dentists? Cool. Take some.

Don't like flying? Cool. After a while the sensation of "fear" around those things diminishes with the use of the

benzos proactively. It's a method used to extinguish fears in people who suffer panic from specific triggers.

Hope you do well and welcome!

Thank you for the recommendations and kind words!

I'm just dropping a short message to say 'hi'. I was a part of the DLMT thread for several years before it fizzled out, and then I learned about this thread here. I don't jump around BB's a lot, but it's always nice to have a group to connect with. You can see my signature, but the bottom line is that I was on a ton of meds for over two decades (followed docs orders), but on klonopin for all years. I've been doing a really slow taper (due to life circumstances) for almost 4 1/2 years. We'll be in touch, and good luck to all!!

Jeff