Important Survey - Please Participate ×

1mg Ativan - 1x-2x per week

[bo...]

Hi, I am brand new to this forum.  I have really bad agoraphobia and my physical symptoms became severe after catching covid. I have debilitating nausea and POTS and it made it even harder to function daily. I needed to do some medical tests and couldn’t even get myself to the doctor. I live in a big city and going to the doctors office was daunting, my life became even smaller. I got a prescription for Ativan after doing therapy and the NP told me to take it as often as needed. I know it’s addictive so I have been very cautious but I have been taking 1-2 times per week to get some of my life back. I’ve made it to the various doctors, gone to restaurants, and even started working again. Sometimes I take 0.5mg, worse case I take 1.5mg. I really don’t want to get addicted to it but sometimes I feel like I already am. What is recommended to try to reduce dependency? I don’t get the same relief from meditation anymore now that I started the Ativan.

• Like 1

[Re...]

Hello @[bo...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you found us! 

I approved your account and your post is now visible to others. It is getting a bit late where I am posting, I will have to call it a day for now. 

Please make yourself at home, this is a wonderful and helpful community, our other members will most certainly comment and share their thoughts very soon. 

Take care, 

RR

[Ka...]

Hello @[bo...] & welcome to BB.
May I ask how long you’ve been taking ativan, & what the instructions on the label are - for example: as needed. Also, whether you take any other meds. 

Edited by [Ka...]

[kn...]

I'm in the process of tapering off the one mg of Lorazepam (Ativan) I took for thirty years.  I know that the generic form (Lorazepam) comes in one mg tabs.  You might want to check that out and see if that size dosage might be of better help in regulating your daily amount.  Mind that I'm not endorsing taking Benzos, but that could be an immediate help.  This is one of the most powerful on the market (Benzos that is) and will indeed leave you drug dependent. There's a big difference between being a drug seeking, psychological addict and physically drug dependent.  You'll undoubtedly have to get off them at some point.  Most providers, my own included, will not prescribe Benzos unless it's on a reduction basis.  

[bo...]
3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hello @[bo...] & welcome to BB.
May I ask how long you’ve been taking ativan, what size the tablets are (lowest tablet size is usually 2mg) & what the instructions are - for example: as needed. Also, whether you take any other meds. 

0.5mg of lorazepam “take one tablet daily by mouth once a day as needed”.   I also take 40mg of Pantoprazole (for gastritis, could have developed from anxiety).  My NP said to take as much Lorazepam as needed though to get through stressful episodes (like going downtown for a doctors appointment), she said I can take 2mg or more if needed. 

[Ka...]

Right. Thank you. I’ve taken ativan in the past. It’s a small pill but I found needs treating with respect! It has a short 1/2 life meaning the effect wears off more quickly compared with other benzos. 

As you probably know, benzos are designed to be taken for up to 4 weeks. Thereafter, longer term use means we can run into problems especially with intolerance. The pill doesn’t work so well, our system needs more & we then notice withdrawal symptoms. 
Like you, I took different doses & this is not a good idea. It is better to take the same amount - with regular spacing between doses. 
You are right to be cautious. Benzo can be just a one off dose for something like dentistry. Otherwise, say for anxiety, continual use would be the usual recommended approach and for up to 4 weeks. 
Personally, if I were you I would not keep altering your dose but keep it the same. 
Lots of information at BIC Benzo Information Coalition will provide you with vast knowledge of benzos so you can confidently decide what suits you best. Wish you well. 

ps I edited previous post I was thinking of valium 2mg tablet. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Ps

[Ca...]

.5 mg of Ativan equals five mgs of valium. Are you taking that daily and if so for how long? Maybe you might not be dependent on it yet. Well physically that is. I understand the agoraphobia as I have it from benzo withdrawal. I am not a doctor but I might try stopping it if you've only taken it for a few weeks and see if that's tolerable. And I would not take any rescue higher doses as your prescriber suggested. You will become physically and psychologically addicted to that high a dose very quickly. 

• Like 1

[tb...]
5 hours ago, [[b...] said:

Hi, I am brand new to this forum.  I have really bad agoraphobia and my physical symptoms became severe after catching covid. I have debilitating nausea and POTS and it made it even harder to function daily. I needed to do some medical tests and couldn’t even get myself to the doctor. I live in a big city and going to the doctors office was daunting, my life became even smaller. I got a prescription for Ativan after doing therapy and the NP told me to take it as often as needed. I know it’s addictive so I have been very cautious but I have been taking 1-2 times per week to get some of my life back. I’ve made it to the various doctors, gone to restaurants, and even started working again. Sometimes I take 0.5mg, worse case I take 1.5mg. I really don’t want to get addicted to it but sometimes I feel like I already am. What is recommended to try to reduce dependency? I don’t get the same relief from meditation anymore now that I started the Ativan.

I hope you are able to get off of Ativan soon as possible. 

[ns...]
5 hours ago, [[b...] said:

Hi bondcars06, im currently tapering lorazepam  generic Ativan. 

Please try to stop this medication. Your doctor should never have told you to take as needed.

Mine did that too.

I was up to 4 mg per day. I am in a nightmare scenario for over 4 yrs now. 

Please do your homework on this drug.

There are many options for anxiety and panic disorder available. 

TMS therapy is one  

On YouTube, look for trey Jones anxiety, he best anxiety and panic disorder and ocd, health anxiety. 

Therapy in a nutshell with Emma on YouTube as well.

Please listen to all of us here with regards to benzo withdrawal. It's not a cake walk trust me ok.

You are in a unique position here, you can stop the Ativan hopefully before you become chemical addicted. 

If you find you need to taper, there is help here. I'm sure I'd you do, it will go quickly given your short use of the drug. 

I'm sorry to sound so grim but I'm in it and I've spoken to many here who are suffering. 

Please consider another option for your anxiety ok

Take care 

Ns

[ns...]

I believe I probably have every symptom you can possibly have from Ativan benzo withdrawal, And I'm not the only one going through this. 

my symptoms include 

Sleeping in the fetal position due to stiff muscles and tension. 

Involuntary body movements, Jerking, numb mouth, tongue, lips, throat, losing my voice, phonophobia, tinnitus, feeling of electrical shock or current running through me, like being plugged in to an electrical socket!

Vibrating through me!

Extreme muscle Tension, Muscle spasms and squeezing, pins and needles, 

Anxiety attacks, panic attacks, 

Tachycardia, shortness of breath, difficult to walk or stand without internal tremors from my waste down numbness and tingling including under sternum, chest pain.

Brain zaps, brain shaking, insomnia, extreme weight loss  extreme weight gain, fluid retention, benzo belly, diarrhea, constipation, ibs, belly spasms, unable to visit family including 9 grandchildren or adult children for 4 yrs!

Mostly home bound,but I do push myself to get out for exposure therapy. 

No sugar, no glutamate foods, I can only eat 5 foods right now. Can't take any medications for anything including pain, infections or dental care, medical treatment like gastroenterology. 

Difficult to go to doctor visits.

Spent thousands on medical bills searching for answers, but there are none, just withdrawal. 

Why am I posting this?

I don't want anyone else to suffer through pain of benzo withdrawal ever!

If you are someone with short term use, please go off of it. If you find it difficult, taper asap, there's help here for that, but do it!

There are more symptoms  I can't think of them right now, I'm having a little break I from some of them I guess 😅 

I pray you will listen to the many voices here who are experiencing the pain of benzo withdrawal and do everything you can to stop taking these horrible drugs. 

Ns

• Like 2