Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Andros:  Thanks for the input, progesterone has really helped me and I have other health things it helps with (endometrious, anxiety and I'm post-menopausal) .... and my second night without it was so awful maybe more due to physical pain from gardening that I went back to letting it support my taper.

Twbd:  Okay!!! Good to hear from you. I was laying in bed last night, worrying about if I'd get to sleep ... and thinking I don't see many ambien folks on here.

So you have anxiety from dropping down? What happens? Did going all the way back to 15 make it go away? How'd you do last night going down again and what did you go to? Add the info to your signature so you and we have a clearer picture. Looks like you took 17 days to drop 4.00mg. I've held a 0.50mg taper for 17 days a few times!

The reason I'm taking so long to taper is to avoid as many side effects as possible and I think it's been helping a lot. I do a 0.50mg drop and hold for 10 to 14 days before I drop again. I'm actually hoping to get off by end of June, at the 9 month mark... 9 months of tapering. Scared?? Hell Yeah!

It is SLOW but you and I, with 20+ years under our belt, we can go slow ... because we want to win. This is a MAJOR change to our life and we need to set up as much support for success as we can. Stay with me now ... let's keep doing this! Little jumps .... over time. I'm right here with you. I woke up way too early today though!! My mind racing with a to do list. But I know I can handle less sleep now, finally, vs. the desperate way I used to feel and take another piece of ambien if I woke up in the middle of the night. Not any more. Still scary but this is one day at a time. And we can hold a drop for as long as we want/need really.

Ambien folks:  Are you out there?!! Deanna and Lady are the main 2 on here, but there have to be more people tapering ambien?!!??! Or wanting too?

Deanna:  How was your weekend, did that wonderful feeling continue or come back?!!??!?! I want what she's having!

Shay:  Somewhere I think it was you that mentioned using a headlamp with yellow light to read with at night. I really need to do that. If I don't go off the computer a couple of hours before bedtime it effects me. I do have the blue light blockers so try to use those in the evening and definitely if I'm going to be on the screen later then that. But, again, I want what you have! So, what exactly is it?! Thx

Happy Day Team Z!

Hey Team Z!!!! Good to read the posts and see everyone keeping each other informed/in contact. I'm doing ok. I went for my second car ride to visit the baby. When she heard my voice she opened her eyes and looked at me for a good while. I changed her diaper with no dizziness.  :thumbsup: wow she's so tiny! Like a doll. If I keep doing well by this time next month I might try to drive short distances. Love and hugs to you all. Those who's having bad waves ( like Shay) please know that I send my love and hang in there! Those in pain ( like Kachina) do all you can to pamper yourself. When I had this phase my heating pad was my best friend. To everyone else dealing with whatever you're facing please don't give up. Brighter days come after the storm.  :thumbsup:

Deanna:  How was your weekend, did that wonderful feeling continue or come back?!!??!?! I want what she's having!

Shay:  Somewhere I think it was you that mentioned using a headlamp with yellow light to read with at night. I really need to do that. If I don't go off the computer a couple of hours before bedtime it effects me. I do have the blue light blockers so try to use those in the evening and definitely if I'm going to be on the screen later then that. But, again, I want what you have! So, what exactly is it?! Thx

Happy Day Team Z!

Kachina is not any particular brand I got it from daizo (Japanese retailer) it’s just a cheap one x

Happy Day Team Z!

Kachina is not any particular brand I got it from daizo (Japanese retailer) it’s just a cheap one x

Shayna, how are you doing since your last cut, I can't believe you reduced by half again after the last horrific one.  :o

Happy Day Team Z!

Shayna, how are you doing since your last cut, I can't believe you reduced by half again after the last horrific one.  :o

Yep not good x no sleep 2 days

Yesterday I kept busy but today I feel terrible from unisom that didn’t work x

Lady, congrats on your second car ride and the sweet precious girl who knows you already!!

Shay, ohhh so sorry, sending relaxing vibes. Thx, I'll find one of those headlamps.

It is late, just took a shower and now listening to some jazz music. It was 17 degrees today, but the next coming days it will be 10 degrees and lots of sun. I am still holding (till when?) A good friend who suffers from manic depression, has just arrived in his depression period. Now we kind of feel the same, because I am always depressed. No feelings.

I am always emotionally flat......  :idiot: Jerry

Thanks KachinaBirdsong for the support and guidance.  I was disappointed in myself for the relapse back to 15mg ambien for a week. During the relapse, the anxiety skyrocketed again. I'm back to 11 mg and equally surprised how the anxiety has decreased on the lower dose.

Omg, I could identify with the  taking  a piece of ambien if I wake up in middle of night. At first, I felt embarrassed, but then felt I'm not alone. Your experience strength and hope is appreciated.

One night at a time

*Zolpidem/Ambien, 21 years 15 mg to 20

03/06/2021 stabilize to 15 mg

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

03/23/2021 to 11 mg

04/12/2021 relapse back to 15mg

04/18/2021 back to 11 mg

Happy Day Team Z!

Hi Kachina! Thanks for asking - I really challenged myself on Saturday and joined in a family garage sale set-up.  I only had a very small table with a few items but even that modest activity of gathering the items, setting up and all the engagement with shoppers and family was definitely more action than my CNS has had in a LONG time.  I did well during the event and really had fun (which is also important to recovery!).  I got back home around 3pm and I was wiped out with a headache coming on.  So I took a nice bath, got in my jammies and laid on the sofa for the rest of the day.  I got a pain flare (not too terrible) which lasted about 4 hours, but then it settled down a bit and I was able to sleep.  Sunday I awoke a little tired but had a decent day.  So I can say that I might be experiencing an improved level of tolerance which is a blessing.

I don't know if this will keep up or I'll go back into a wave eventually, but I feel like maybe I've turned a corner.  Some new things I'm doing is I stepped up my nutrition with daily green smoothies (kale and or spinach), fruit, yogurt, etc.  I've also really dedicated a daily 20 minute meditation, AND I have decided to forego the yoga routine I've been doing for months.  I feel like the less I do physically, the better I feel.  I'm dying to exercise though....

Since I've been feeling a bit better I find I am busy living my life again - and that is precious to me!  All I can say is for everyone to just keep the faith - I really believe healing happens.  Give your body rest, eat well, stay calm and put yourself first.  Who knows - I might be here next week telling you I'm in my next wave, but I'm gonna enjoy this while it's here!!!  I am constantly think of all of you and I can't wait to hear about your healing as well  :smitten:

Jerry, well look---YOU ARE AT HALF!!! That counts and that's great.

Twbd, one night at a time!! I love it. No kidding. Then, if you slept, it's one day at a time ... Yeah, we have no shame here! So thought I'd ask you what are you thinking about your taper because my thought, since you had trouble at first, is holding 11 for longer ... really getting some good time under your belt that 11 works and you're doing good at it, maybe even throw in a few days over that for good measure, for protection of not reverting this time. I'd like to see you set yourself up for success and that could be weeks because you already dropped, essentially, from 15 to 11 in under 3 weeks ... one common recommendation, and the one I'm doing, is 0.50mg every 10 to 14 days.

Deanna, So happy to hear your progress! I believe you and Lady have turned corners here! And I think I recall you're on a similar schedule of coming up on one year off?? Anyway, very good to hear you are doing well and also listening to the need for rest. REST ohhhh . . .

Thanks KachinaBirdsong for the support and guidance.  I was disappointed in myself for the relapse back to 15mg ambien for a week. During the relapse, the anxiety skyrocketed again. I'm back to 11 mg and equally surprised how the anxiety has decreased on the lower dose.

Omg, I could identify with the  taking  a piece of ambien if I wake up in middle of night. At first, I felt embarrassed, but then felt I'm not alone. Your experience strength and hope is appreciated.

One night at a time

*Zolpidem/Ambien, 21 years 15 mg to 20

03/06/2021 stabilize to 15 mg

03/13/2021 to 13 mg

03/17/2021 to 12.5

03/23/2021 to 11 mg

04/12/2021 relapse back to 15mg

04/18/2021 back to 11 mg

Hey TW many people tapering do a little yo-yo dosing. It's nothing to feel bad about. I see you've hopped back on track. Great job!  :thumbsup: may I suggest something? When you have a bad spell on whatever dose you're on, just hold your dose. As you found out, going back up is not ideal. It's not set in stone that you have to reduce if you're not ready. With Ambien, because of its short half life, it's best if you just reduce about every 10-14 days at a 10% rate. If the 10% is too much, then do a 5% reduction. My intended advice is to help you not to pay a hefty price for going back up. It WILL catch up with you. With sleep medication its normal to obsess/worry about sleeping. This is the effects of the Ambien. It does NOT want you to quit taking it. Fight this with all your might. Keep in mind every dose is doing damage to your receptors. So it's not ideal to prolong your taper. The damage stops when the pills stop. I know you can do this. Keep going, ignore the fears and be encouraged that if you get only 3-4 hours of sleep it won't kill you. You might be tired but you'll live. Hugs to you.

Lady, congrats on your second car ride and the sweet precious girl who knows you already!!

Shay, ohhh so sorry, sending relaxing vibes. Thx, I'll find one of those headlamps.

Thx Kachina! I'm looking forward to more car rides. Then I'll go to a store. Then try driving. I'm excited for the little things. I'm hoping you continue being positive and kick Ambien's butt for your last few mgs  :thumbsup: I am so proud of you and Shay too. She's been a real warrior as well. She has Valium by the balls. Lol And you have Ambien by the balls too. Keep going cuz you're almost there. I'm excited about your jumping date getting closer.

Shay is jumping any day now. Hooray!!!!!

Jerry you keep hanging in there buddy! Keep reducing. You can do it this time. You got this! Team Z are finishers!!!!! We get it done!!!!! Come on Jerry, you got this this time!

Deanna I hope you're having nice window and enjoying the spring. I'll be 11 months this Sunday. Wow almost a year. What a journey so far. You're right behind me. I had the same experience with trying to exercise too soon. Listen to your body. Give it another month then try again.before you know it, we both will be able to go to the gym if we want. Come on, I'm paving the way for all of you!

Hello to Pamster! I hope you're doing well.

NICE PEP TALK LADY!!!! I can tell you're feeling it and I am too. I need it.

My life has changed a lot, A LOT, since I began this taper. Overall I'm less depressed because I'm hopeful I'll get off ambien. And I wake up and GSD: Get S#$@ Done ~ but really, I used to sleep in a lot because ambien wasn't the only Rx I had ... and now I get more done. I wish I slept later and longer but hope to in time.

I've also taken care of some major business and life decisions ... and getting my affairs in order the way you're supposed to when your an adult, lol! Being off work and on a healing journey has given me time to take care of stuff it was hard to address when working. But I know it's my taper that is key here.

I am looking at that pill, when I cut it each night, eyeballing the next jump, to one half of the 5mg. Yes, it scares me!! Why should it???? My goodness dependency for so long ...

I lay down in bed and say to myself, okay well, if I don't get to sleep ... I'll deal with it. And if I wake in the middle of the night and can't sleep I'll deal with it. Just added something in to my sleep ritual to help my brain quiet down and self-sooth, like the period at the end of the sentence and the sentence is the day.

TGIF TEAM,

Shay I hope you Sleep.

Ha Ladyden, thank you for the “oppepper” as we say in Dutch. I am not ready to go on at the moment, but I am not going back either. But don’t worry I will finish it sooner or later. I am just not in a hurry. Maybe I wait till the swimming pools open again here in Holland. Huggs Jerry

NICE PEP TALK LADY!!!! I can tell you're feeling it and I am too. I need it.

My life has changed a lot, A LOT, since I began this taper. Overall I'm less depressed because I'm hopeful I'll get off ambien. And I wake up and GSD: Get S#$@ Done ~ but really, I used to sleep in a lot because ambien wasn't the only Rx I had ... and now I get more done. I wish I slept later and longer but hope to in time.

I've also taken care of some major business and life decisions ... and getting my affairs in order the way you're supposed to when your an adult, lol! Being off work and on a healing journey has given me time to take care of stuff it was hard to address when working. But I know it's my taper that is key here.

I am looking at that pill, when I cut it each night, eyeballing the next jump, to one half of the 5mg. Yes, it scares me!! Why should it???? My goodness dependency for so long ...

I lay down in bed and say to myself, okay well, if I don't get to sleep ... I'll deal with it. And if I wake in the middle of the night and can't sleep I'll deal with it. Just added something in to my sleep ritual to help my brain quiet down and self-sooth, like the period at the end of the sentence and the sentence is the day.

TGIF TEAM,

Shay I hope you Sleep.

Hey Kachina, It sounds like you are really making progress, both in your taper and your life!  I am very happy for you.  I too have noticed that this journey is not only about getting off the drug.  It is about growing as a person and improving skills that will help us in all areas of our lives, not just with our sleep.  I find it ironic that the reason I took the drug in the first place (insomnia) is the least of my concerns as I go through this withdrawal.  I never had chronic pain before this experience and now I am so enlightened to what so many people experience every day.  I think I have become a more compassionate person and really empathize when I see/hear about the suffering of others.

Do not fret about the upcoming cuts in your taper.  Turn it around in your mind and look forward to less poison in your body.  I swear I felt better with each cut.  How is your fibro-like pain?  Is it better or worse as you go?

Wishing you well.

And wishing z-everyone a good weekend and a calm and relaxing week ahead  :smitten:

Thank you Deanna, great to hear your experience and thanks for the kind words. I think the pain is less with flares. I'm trying to move on with my life and not pay attention to it. It does go away. Okay, yes I'm going to turn my attitude around to I am sooo happy to get this poison out and done with for all.

Jerry, that sounds good, once you have swimming back in the picture you may be ready to drop down again.

I've been feeling really really tired in the afternoons so much so that I literally almost went to sleep, that thing called nap. Wow, that has to be the taper as it just never happens. Hope it's taper related as my mind starts worrying about what is wrong with me!

The mind ... helpful at times not at other times.

Happy Sunday Team.

Thank you Deanna, great to hear your experience and thanks for the kind words. I think the pain is less with flares. I'm trying to move on with my life and not pay attention to it. It does go away. Okay, yes I'm going to turn my attitude around to I am sooo happy to get this poison out and done with for all.

Jerry, that sounds good, once you have swimming back in the picture you may be ready to drop down again.

I've been feeling really really tired in the afternoons so much so that I literally almost went to sleep, that thing called nap. Wow, that has to be the taper as it just never happens. Hope it's taper related as my mind starts worrying about what is wrong with me!

The mind ... helpful at times not at other times.

Happy Sunday Team.

Kachina - So happy to hear your pain flares are lessening!  Mine are better too.  And there is nothing wrong with you re: the afternoon fatigue.  I have noticed that as I heal the fatigue has become the most bothersome symptom now.  I sometimes have to stop what I'm doing to lay down for a bit.  It is all part of this wonderful process!

Wow Deanna, really? Like the poor body needs to rest, ya think? At our age. So lucky to be able to do that now. But thanks, that's good to know.

Lady what about you, do you get hit with fatigue as part of your post-taper symptoms?

Hello Team Z! I've missed y'all. I'm dealing with another headache spell. This has been my newest symptom since I've turned the corner. Yesterday I made 11 months!!!!  :clap:

Kachina YES the fatigue/ sudden intense tiredness hits me off and on. Yes it IS part of the taper/recovery process. That's your body saying " we are hard at work repairing so please chill" LOL

Also at the end of my taper, I magically started yawning with sleepiness in the evening. The first few times I did it, I was shocked because I realized I hadn't yawned in years!!!! Not to mention took a nap. Never could! I get close to napping now that it feels like I actually took one. Maybe at 12 months milestone I'll be able to try a nap. But I don't want to mess up my sleep routine so I don't know if I'll try it. My tiredness comes with a heaviness feeling. Do you remember how you'd go swimming and when you get out of the pool there's a heaviness? That's how it feels. When it hits, I just simply lay down until it's time to sleep. It's nothing to worry about.  :thumbsup:

Deanna can tell you, Kachina, symptoms pop in and out in varying degrees as you heal. I've felt all kinds of strange sensations strange experiences on my journey from numb teeth, vibrating, pulling, pushing, boaty, itchy fingers & toes only at bedtime, temple thumping, feeling like a piece of hair laying on my nose, eye twitching, feeling like a drop of water is on my leg or arm, chill, goosebumps, thinning hair, feeling hungry when I'm full, heavy legs as if I've been sitting on them, intense sudden sleepiness,etc Yep the weird world of recovering  :laugh:

Shay we miss you sweetie!!!!

Hugs to you Jerry, Twd, becks, Pam, andros and whoever I missed. LOVE !

Kachina, I have stabilized on the 11 mg per night. I got a little aggressive with my tapering and came back to bite me.

At first, i was a little disappointed, but it is about the long-term and successfully sleeping with out ambien; thats is my "dream"  :)

Supercool Lady!!! Eleven months OFF ambien. Awesome. Wow lots of weird annoying symptoms.

Twb--glad you're finding your way! Don't be afraid to go slow ... it actually ends up going quite fast. My 2 weeks is coming soon and I'm, like, OMG YIKES 2.50mg???!!!

NOT feeling good either. But anyway, another day is almost over. I need some pampering, wish there was healthy yummy take out near home ... gotta get some precooked food that is healthy and yummy. Feeling pain, fatigue and major spacey brain symptoms, cooking meals is not my thing these days.

Who else is on here, how ya doin? My goodness---the whole world takes Ambien from what I see and there are only a few of us speaking up on here?

So anyway, I gotta really lay low and do things like movies and listen to a book or something for more hours in the day when I have a really bad night. Bad for me. Then I think of Shay and I cannot imagine. My mind goes soooo low to anxiety and depression when I don't get much sleep. Oh well. Felt better today until now. Thanks for listening.

Supercool Lady!!! Eleven months OFF ambien. Awesome. Wow lots of weird annoying symptoms.

Twb--glad you're finding your way! Don't be afraid to go slow ... it actually ends up going quite fast. My 2 weeks is coming soon and I'm, like, OMG YIKES 2.50mg???!!!

NOT feeling good either. But anyway, another day is almost over. I need some pampering, wish there was healthy yummy take out near home ... gotta get some precooked food that is healthy and yummy. Feeling pain, fatigue and major spacey brain symptoms, cooking meals is not my thing these days.

Who else is on here, how ya doin? My goodness---the whole world takes Ambien from what I see and there are only a few of us speaking up on here?

So anyway, I gotta really lay low and do things like movies and listen to a book or something for more hours in the day when I have a really bad night. Bad for me. Then I think of Shay and I cannot imagine. My mind goes soooo low to anxiety and depression when I don't get much sleep. Oh well. Felt better today until now. Thanks for listening.

Kachina I feel the same way! Where are all the Ambien or Z drug suffers???? As much as it's prescribed I don't see why this forum isn't full of people. But I also know some people are polydrugged and Ambien is a walk in the park for them to get off. They still have other meds or benzos they're taking so because of its long half life they don't feel the Ambien withdrawals much. Just a guess...

Yes you should pamper yourself real good. You deserve it. You're doing a super job coming down slow. You'll be at the jumping point very soon. I'm excited for you.

Deanna I'm glad to hear that your symptoms are stabilizing better so you can enjoy normal things like garage sales. Your body's reaction ( degree of a wave) will show you how much you've healed. It sounds like it's quite a bit. So happy for you. I've had the same experience. I'll try something new or more of something I can do again then see how I react. Mostly when I do this my waves are not as intense as before. Since I've turned 11 months I've had my symptoms flashing in and out throughout the day and night. For consecutive days. I guess this is rapid cycling that I've heard about????

Love and hugs to everyone else. Shay I hope your catching some Z's plus feeling better.