Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Moss, if all you're feeling is a little dizziness, I wouldn't updose. Of course you'll feel SOMTHING! But we cannot eliminate s/x and trying to do so is folly. Why on earth would you start freelancing the crossover? Really, maybe you need to just put on your big girl panties and tough it out. Sorry to sound harsh. Some dizziness? Really? There is no s/x free cross just as there is not s/x free taper. If we can arrange things so we're functional, then good job.

Hope you feel  better,

Katz

Hey Katz,

I'm confused. What was I being told to updose and why? And is your question why am I crossing over during my freelance job? I started this job before crossover and was in such bad tolerance before it really didn't matter. I felt like total shit just on the .5 Ativan 3x a day. If things get bad i have someone who can sub in for me but so far I am functional but going on a shoot in LA will be really hard and i am hoping to be somewhat stable to take on that trip. Once i finish this job (mostly done from home except the shoot) in mid Jan i can take off a few months if need be. Am i understanding your question right?  The other thing is I don't just have dizziness I have really bad POTS and pretty bad anxiety and intermittent nausea so that is a challenge too. If I don't work, though, i don't have income to pay for all these expensive docs and save money to take time off. Also the distraction is VERY helpful! Seeing Pdoc today to see what he says, though i know this is all up to me. Trying to figure out when to start to change out that morning dose and was thinking maybe the weekend so if i get bad side fx (I will know right away) I can hold and wait?  I know my Pdoc isnt into me crossing to valium as he thinks it's such a dirty drug but I don't see how not to...

Thanks,

Sherri

Miss, I believe I said this earlier:

What your body is tellin you is: "Help! I don't have enough Ativan! I feel like crap! And what is this dumb valium anyhow? It's doing nothing for me!" But you have to give the valium a chance. It's a different drug than Ativan. It needs to build up in your system. It lasts longer, is smoother and doesn't give you the instant relief that Ativan does. It will just take awhile for your body to re-engineer things. Eventually it'll be used to the valium and Ativan will be a distant memory.

So, uh huh, it's the decrease in Ativan that is making you squirrely. I felt it too. But you just have to tough it out. Or decrease less and do your own math.

Sorry you feel so bad.

Katz

I think you are right and i have to taper the Ativan slower as i crossover starting with the evening dose. Unfortunately the math part is what is really hard for me (severe dyscalculia). Is there someone on here who can help me with the crossover numbers. I also think I will need to get liquid Ativan since the amounts are gonna get so low and I can't do the pill cutting or scale thing. I am also considering a direct taper down from Ativan but I assume that is not a good idea. I feel like failure and I haven't even begun...

Miss, I believe I said this earlier:

What your body is tellin you is: "Help! I don't have enough Ativan! I feel like crap! And what is this dumb valium anyhow? It's doing nothing for me!" But you have to give the valium a chance. It's a different drug than Ativan. It needs to build up in your system. It lasts longer, is smoother and doesn't give you the instant relief that Ativan does. It will just take awhile for your body to re-engineer things. Eventually it'll be used to the valium and Ativan will be a distant memory.

So, uh huh, it's the decrease in Ativan that is making you squirrely. I felt it too. But you just have to tough it out. Or decrease less and do your own math.

Sorry you feel so bad.

Katz

I think you are right and i have to taper the Ativan slower as i crossover starting with the evening dose. Unfortunately the math part is what is really hard for me (severe dyscalculia). Is there someone on here who can help me with the crossover numbers. I also think I will need to get liquid Ativan since the amounts are gonna get so low and I can't do the pill cutting or scale thing. I am also considering a direct taper down from Ativan but I assume that is not a good idea. I feel like failure and I haven't even begun...

Bob7 is a math whiz, shall I ask him to drop by?

Hi Missfrida,

Pamster asked if I could help you with math.

I am happy to.

Let me know were you are at and what you want to do. 

I need to know what your are taking now (the total dose per day and the mg of each pill as written on the bottle)

I need to know what you want to move to (the total dose per day and the mg of each pill as written on the bottle)

How fast do you want to crossover?

I was just thinking about him. Missfrida, I'm terrible at math too. Bob7 has helped many with figuring out their tapers. You will need oral syringes to dose the liquid. Bob can help you with what you will need, and with percentages and measuring. I had thought of the weighing thing, but I getting by on cut and hold, weighing may be in my future. Bob7 explained it all in a way I could understand, and how to determine the next dose. 

I was just thinking about him. Missfrida, I'm terrible at math too. Bob7 has helped many with figuring out their tapers. You will need oral syringes to dose the liquid. Bob can help you with what you will need, and with percentages and measuring. I had thought of the weighing thing, but I getting by on cut and hold, weighing may be in my future. Bob7 explained it all in a way I could understand, and how to determine the next dose.

I am SOOOOO bad at math and get so overwhelmed it is literally the hardest part of this for me and by far the scariest. I am hoping i can take what he says to my doc and he can call it in to a compounding pharm and i can do liquid? I cannot cut up, crush or weigh pills. I am also having such a hard time figuring out whether to stay on Ativan and slowly taper from that or move to Valium. It's the immediate dizziness and unrealness I felt on it that scares me but maybe that was cause i cut the Ativan??? UGHHHHHH

Edit: Profanity

So my questions were assuming you had tablets.

Just let me know what you have and what you want to do when you are ready and we can work the math.

Writing it up for you now!

Hi Missfrida,

Pamster asked if I could help you with math.

I am happy to.

Let me know were you are at and what you want to do. 

I need to know what your are taking now (the total dose per day and the mg of each pill as written on the bottle)

I need to know what you want to move to (the total dose per day and the mg of each pill as written on the bottle)

How fast do you want to crossover?

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for helping!  Right now I am taking .5 ativan 3x a day. That is also the size of the Ativan pills I have. I know that crossing over to Diazepam may be easier but I am also thinking about a long, slow direct Ativan taper using either compounded pills or liquid from my pharmacy (I want to avoid making stuff as much as i possibly can). At least to start maybe we work on a crossover. I have been crossing according to Ashton schedule 8 (but half of that since i am on 1.5 mg Ativan a day total not 3mg a day) and have been finding that cutting half my evening dose (to.25), even with the 2.5 Valium substitution (I have 5mg Valium pills) is too much of a cut. I am not sure how fast i should crossover but I think the evening dose crossover (and all subsequent crossovers) need to be smaller cuts to Ativan. I don't really have a timeframe i just know it needs to go slower.

Also, Bob, I would really love to make this as easy on myself as possible when it comes to having to weight or mix or cut anything. I would love oto do it liquid at least for the Ativan part since the Valium pills come in varied sizes. I can also try to get V liquid and do all liquid for the crossover. I am seeing my Pdoc on Tuesday and he is pretty on board with doing what i need as long as I do the math (and by me I mean you). Does this make sense? What else do you need from me? Again, THANK YOU!!

Hi Missfrida,

I saw this just as I was leaving.

I think I have a very good idea for you but let me make sure about a couple of things first.

I have never seen a good story from people trying to cross over.  Therefore, I would never do it myself.  So please, take a little time and really think about it while I am gone tonight.  If you decide you don't want to cross over, then I have a really simple way for you to taper slowly using a liquid.

Let me know.

Bob

Hi Missfrida,

I think I have a very good idea for you but let me make sure about a couple of things first.

I have never seen a good story from people trying to cross over.  Therefore, I would never do it myself.  So please, take a little time and really think about it while I am gone tonight.  If you decide you don't want to cross over, then I have a really simple way for you to taper slowly using a liquid.

Let me know.

Bob

Bob I am having my doubts about crossing over too but it's what all of Ashton is based on and I am worried about interdose withdrawals. I am gonna go with my gut and at least try! Let's do it. If it's low and slow and simple I can at least give it a shot. Have a great night and again THANK YOU!!!!!

Miss, remember, I did a cross from A to V and it went pretty well. A few glitches, but basically okay. But I did it because the i/d w/ds from Ativan were  awful. I benefitted greatly from getting onto a long-acting benzo. Not everyone has or will have my reasons for crossing over . . . but I just want to offer up my cross as an example of a successful one. Your choice, of course if you cross or not. But it always made sense to me that I'd do better on a long-acting benzo for tapering.

It's great that you have Bob 7 to help with math, whichever way you decide to go.

Best,

Katz

Kaaatttzzzzzzz your story is in the back of my mind all the time!!! I am SO torn. Today I had to go to a family function and bang on 2pm I started feeling anxiety and my heart was racing. That was when i was due for my afternoon dose. Those are moments I can't imagine tapering down on this short acting med. I totally hear you, but i am just so worried about the crossover because i have been feeling so much better off Valium (for now). No feeling dizzy or like I am walking in a fog, but again, that could have been from the high cut on my evening dose of Ativan. Do you suspect if i cut less on my crossover it could help this?

And please call me Sherri or whatever. Anything but Miss (dumb name choice. Frida was my dog that recently passed at close to 15).

TY

S

[6c...]

Hi Missfrida,

Let me know.

Bob

I second what bob7 said. I spent months on a Valium crossover and it was a nightmare. I was extremely sick and I ended up unable to lower my dose at all. I recently switched to Klonopin because I couldn’t tolerate Valium anymore. I highly suggest really thinking about crossing to Valium. Of course it’s your choice and my experience won’t necessarily be your experience, as everyone is different. I do know that a lot of people have struggled with a crossover to Valium and regret it, too. In all honesty if I could go back to the beginning of my taper a year ago I would have gone much more slowly directly from the Xanax and done a symptom based taper with no greater than 10% reductions and directly tapered from Xanax. Just my opinion though. And I also have to say that Bob7 is an amazing help with the maths and very knowledgeable about this stuff. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi Missfrida,

Let me know.

Bob

I second what bob7 said. I spent months on a Valium crossover and it was a nightmare. I was extremely sick and I ended up unable to lower my dose at all. I recently switched to Klonopin because I couldn’t tolerate Valium anymore. I highly suggest really thinking about crossing to Valium. Of course it’s your choice and my experience won’t necessarily be your experience, as everyone is different. I do know that a lot of people have struggled with a crossover to Valium and regret it, too. In all honesty if I could go back to the beginning of my taper a year ago I would have gone much more slowly directly from the Xanax and done a symptom based taper with no greater than 10% reductions and directly tapered from Xanax. Just my opinion though. And I also have to say that Bob7 is an amazing help with the maths and very knowledgeable about this stuff. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thank you. Your story breaks my heart and I think about it too. I hope the K will work and you can taper more smoothly from that. 

I do wonder if somehow I am kindled on Valium because I used it as needed (but somewhat regularly) in small doses for anxiety. I was always stopping and starting it but with its long half life it never really bothered me to do so and i never felt dependent. I really wonder how that factors into my reaction to it. I feel like once i started on Ativan and my CNS became sensitized my body's reaction to Valium completely changed.

[6c...]

Hi Missfrida,

Let me know.

Bob

Thank you. Your story breaks my heart and I think about it too. I hope the K will work and you can taper more smoothly from that. 

I do wonder if somehow I am kindled on Valium because I used it as needed (but somewhat regularly) in small doses for anxiety. I was always stopping and starting it but with its long half life it never really bothered me to do so and i never felt dependent. I really wonder how that factors into my reaction to it. I feel like once i started on Ativan and my CNS became sensitized my body's reaction to Valium completely changed.

It’s so hard to say. I’m struggling a bit right now because the Valium is pretty much exiting my system since my switch 3 weeks ago, so my CNS is very sensitive right now but I will eventually even out again. These drugs are so hard to predict how one person will react to them as everyone has a different experience. All I know is that when I was on Valium I looked back at my symptoms on Xanax and I was wishing “If only I could dealing with that again, I’d trade it back over this”, it was that awful for me. I had interdose on Xanax which led me to Ashton and Valium and I regret it deeply, but like I said, that’s just my own experience and I feel like people considering a crossover should hear both sides from others who have crossed to Valium. I will just say please read some more experiences, and don’t rush into it until you feel confident in your decision. I completely understand the uncertainty and being on the fence about this. It’s a big decision, so do your research and take your time in deciding what is best for you. Good luck in whatever you decide to do  :)

Hi Missfrida,

Let me know.

Bob

It’s so hard to say. I’m struggling a bit right now because the Valium is pretty much exiting my system since my switch 3 weeks ago, so my CNS is very sensitive right now but I will eventually even out again. These drugs are so hard to predict how one person will react to them as everyone has a different experience. All I know is that when I was on Valium I looked back at my symptoms on Xanax and I was wishing “If only I could dealing with that again, I’d trade it back over this”, it was that awful for me. I had interdose on Xanax which led me to Ashton and Valium and I regret it deeply, but like I said, that’s just my own experience and I feel like people considering a crossover should hear both sides from others who have crossed to Valium. I will just say please read some more experiences, and don’t rush into it until you feel confident in your decision. I completely understand the uncertainty and being on the fence about this. It’s a big decision, so do your research and take your time in deciding what is best for you. Good luck in whatever you decide to do  :)

Thank you! It is so personal and so much plays into how our bodies react to things. I am stable now back on .5 ativan 3x a day but am a bit worried that that will teeter once the Valium i have been on for 2 weeks exits my system. I need to stay at this dose i think for at least a few weeks to even out but i am chomping to see what a taper plan looks like for me as I am so bad at math and need to wrap my head around something concrete because fear is my biggest enemy right now and numbers really do scare me. I have severe learning disabilties around math and particulary charts and graphs and percentages. I can look at them for hours and they will make no sense to me. I am super skilled in other areas, but my math issues have plagued me my entire life. It really does make all of this daunting for me! 

I hope you find some peace now that you are off Valium and can start the true taper you deserve.

Sherri

Sherri, it seems to me that you are leaning towards to Ativan taper and that's certainly okay. If you're feeling better off the valium that should tell you something. Hey, everyone's different. The goal is to feel okayish while we're tapering . . . okay enough to work, see friends, eat (!).  And if the A taper doesn't work you can always try something else. You won't be married to it.

Whatever you decide, good luck  my friend.

:thumbsup:

Katz

Sherri, it seems to me that you are leaning towards to Ativan taper and that's certainly okay. If you're feeling better off the valium that should tell you something. Hey, everyone's different. T]he goal is to feel okayish while we're tapering . . . okay enough to work, see friends, eat (!).  And if the A taper doesn't work you can always try something else. You won't be married to it.[/color]

Katz

That and feeling well enough to get a new dog are all i care about. Nailed it!!!

Sherri,

I got back home and immediately starting reading the posts again,

In particular, I hope you pay close attention to ThroughAGlassDarkly about the concerns with a cross over.  More over, as Katz pointed out, you played with the cross over drug and found it a problem.  Those two are very smart/wise people on this topic.  I would trust them.

I on the other hand have no experience with cross overs.  So while I can do math, I am not sure I can guide you well on a cross over. 

Since you have indicated you want something super simple and you also said you are interested in liquids, let me give you a sample liquid taper which would be very mild on you.

Assume you want to be benzo free in 180 days.  Here is a very easy and relaxed way to do it.

Once a day, drop three of your 0.5 ativan tablets in a jar and fill the jar with 180 mL of water and it will make a suspension.

You will then drink 1/3 of it 3 times a day or, if you want to be real smooth, just sip it as needed for the next 24 hours.

To taper each day:

On day 1, after making your 180 mL suspension, remove 1 mL with a syringe before you start drinking.

On day 2, after making your 180 mL suspension, remove 2 mL with a syringe before you start drinking.

On day 3, after making your 180 mL suspension, remove 3 mL with a syringe before you start drinking.

Do this for 180 days and you are free.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES:

-Use a jar with a lid so you can shake the suspension vigorously each time before you take a drink.

-After you finish the jar, put some fresh water in it and swirl it about and drink that water.

-You can add a few drops of Vodka to help break it down but it is not too important.  I suggest you first try it without the Vodka.

-Ativan takes 10 to 15 minutes to break down in water so you might set this up the night before so you don't have to wait in the morning.

Bob

Sherri, it seems to me that you are leaning towards to Ativan taper and that's certainly okay. If you're feeling better off the valium that should tell you something. Hey, everyone's different. The goal is to feel okayish while we're tapering . . . okay enough to work, see friends, eat (!).  And if the A taper doesn't work you can always try something else. You won't be married to it.

Katz

Hi Katz,

Woke up and I am still wavering on what to do. My fear is that i go back on valium for a 3rd time to try and taper (ive only been off for 3 days though) and it's too hard  I'm addicted to V as well. I am actually worried about that right now which is why I am holding off making any swift changes at the moment. I would love to ask you, though, if i do go back to doing the crossover (which I still think may be better for me in the long run because of how short acting Ativan is) I think I would need to slow down the crossover. Did you cut your evening dose in half when you were crossing over as per Ashton? It just seems like a lot for 2.5mg of Valium to cover. Below is what my schedule would look like for the first 6 weeks according to Ashton. I can't do an attachment so this is the best I can do. Hope you can understand it. I can surely slow down when i change out my morning dose but i would still be cutting my evening dose by quite a bit which is what i think has been problematic. I would love any thoughts you have on this or if you know anyone who has crossed over and cut their evening dose by less. As you said, i am trying to do whatever I can to ease this as best I can as i have to work and want to try to live my life (knowing it's gonna be rough no matter what).

TY!

MORNING MIDDAY EVENING DAILY DIAZEPAM EQUIVALENT

Starting Dose Ativan 0.5 Ativan 0.05 Ativan 0.5 15mg

Stage 1 (1 wk) Ativan 0.5 Ativan 0.05 Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 15mg

Stage 2 (1 wk) Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 Ativan 0.05 Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 15mg

Stage 3 (1 wk) Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 15mg

Stage 4 (1wk) Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 Stop Lorazepam Diazepam 5mg 15mg

Stage 5 (1 wk) Stop ativan Diazepam 5mg Ativan 0.25 Diazepam 2.5 5mg Diazepam 15mg

Stage 6 (1 wk) Diazepam 5mg stop Ativan 5mg Diazepam Diazepam 5mg 15mg

Stage 7 (1-2 wk) Diazepam 5mg Diazepam 3mg Diazepam 5mg 13mg

Sherri,

I got back home and immediately starting reading the posts again,

In particular, I hope you pay close attention to ThroughAGlassDarkly about the concerns with a cross over.  More over, as Katz pointed out, you played with the cross over drug and found it a problem.  Those two are very smart/wise people on this topic.  I would trust them.

I on the other hand have no experience with cross overs.  So while I can do math, I am not sure I can guide you well on a cross over. 

Since you have indicated you want something super simple and you also said you are interested in liquids, let me give you a sample liquid taper which would be very mild on you.

Assume you want to be benzo free in 180 days.  Here is a very easy and relaxed way to do it.

Once a day, drop three of your 0.5 ativan tablets in a jar and fill the jar with 180 mL of water and it will make a suspension.

You will then drink 1/3 of it 3 times a day or, if you want to be real smooth, just sip it as needed for the next 24 hours.

To taper each day:

On day 1, after making your 180 mL suspension, remove 1 mL with a syringe before you start drinking.

On day 2, after making your 180 mL suspension, remove 2 mL with a syringe before you start drinking.

On day 3, after making your 180 mL suspension, remove 3 mL with a syringe before you start drinking.

Do this for 180 days and you are free.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES:

-Use a jar with a lid so you can shake the suspension vigorously each time before you take a drink.

-After you finish the jar, put some fresh water in it and swirl it about and drink that water.

-You can add a few drops of Vodka to help break it down but it is not too important.  I suggest you first try it without the Vodka.

-Ativan takes 10 to 15 minutes to break down in water so you might set this up the night before so you don't have to wait in the morning.

Bob

Thanks so much for this Bob. Today was pretty awful for me with intense anxiety, nausea, no appetite, wild fluctuations in BP and total fogginess. Exactly WHY I didn't want to take Valium, except i've been off it for 3 days after essentially being on 2.5mg for about a month so I guess it is my body withdrawing from it even though my Ativan at .5 3x a day has been even for the last few days. I think I just need to keep going and switch to the Valium. I know you don't have experience with crossovers but right now for the evening dose I am doing 0.25 Ativan and 2.5 Diazepam and that cut in Ativan is just too high. Do you have any advice on how i could start to cross that evening dose and make it easier? I was doing SO well Sat/Sun but i knew the Valium would come and bite me in the as*. I really don't want to be addicted to both so I need to continue the cross i think. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sherri