Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Well Sherri, I have no experience with computing crossovers.

But what you are experiencing is exactly why I say "I have not see very much success when people try to cross over". 

If you want to do the liquid method I showed you, you need to hold first on just Ativan until this experience with Valium goes away.  You said you have been three days without a Valium?  I bet within 2 to 8 weeks you will be stabilized on just Ativan and you can then do the water method with Ativan alone.

Bob

Miss, remember, I did a cross from A to V and it went pretty well. A few glitches, but basically okay. But I did it because the i/d w/ds from Ativan were  awful. I benefitted greatly from getting onto a long-acting benzo. Not everyone has or will have my reasons for crossing over . . . but I just want to offer up my cross as an example of a successful one. Your choice, of course if you cross or not. But it always made sense to me that I'd do better on a long-acting benzo for tapering.

It's great that you have Bob 7 to help with math, whichever way you decide to go.

Best,

Katz

I had a successful cross from K to V, V agreed with me so much better, I went faster than Ashton recommends. I felt better on V, and have been doing okay tapering V. Some people don't do well with crossing over, so they stick to their original benzo. It's really up to you whether you want to cross or not. You can slow down the cross if needed as well. Ashton's schedules are guides, based on what worked best for her patients.

Miss, remember, I did a cross from A to V and it went pretty well. A few glitches, but basically okay. But I did it because the i/d w/ds from Ativan were  awful. I benefitted greatly from getting onto a long-acting benzo. Not everyone has or will have my reasons for crossing over . . . but I just want to offer up my cross as an example of a successful one. Your choice, of course if you cross or not. But it always made sense to me that I'd do better on a long-acting benzo for tapering.

It's great that you have Bob 7 to help with math, whichever way you decide to go.

Best,

Katz

I had a successful cross from K to V, V agreed with me so much better, I went faster than Ashton recommends. I felt better on V, and have been doing okay tapering V. Some people don't do well with crossing over, so they stick to their original benzo. It's really up to you whether you want to cross or not. You can slow down the cross if needed as well. Ashton's schedules are guides, based on what worked best for her patients.

Thank you for answering here, BL. Ugh I can definitely feel the lack of V in me after being on it a total of 22 days crossing (with 3 days off) at 2.5mg. That's why I think i need to keep going. What is my option really? I think maybe my cross is so hard because i have use V before stop and start here and there but quite a bit so maybe my body is just reacting to that? Also I feel like moving from long acting to long acting may have been easier?

[de...]

Well Sherri, I have no experience with computing crossovers.

But what you are experiencing is exactly why I say "I have not see very much success when people try to cross over".

If you want to do the liquid method I showed you, you need to hold first on just Ativan until this experience with Valium goes away.  You said you have been three days without a Valium?  I bet within 2 to 8 weeks you will be stabilized on just Ativan and you can then do the water method with Ativan alone.

Bob

Everything that Bob said is very on point. I’m going through the same thing since I switched from Valium to Klonopin and I was on Valium for months at 45 mgs. It is obviously going to take longer to clear my system than it will for you and the symptoms you are feeling now are quite possibly from not taking Valium for 3 days. In my opinion it’s detrimental at this point to start and stop the Valium. You can stabilize on the Ativan and then proceed with a taper if you decide to go with a direct taper. I don’t want to discourage you but I will say that the on and off with Valium is not going to be beneficial for whatever you decide to do. Valium is not always a success story for everyone. Again, that’s just my experience, and the experience of many others, and I feel that both sides should always be heard. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.  :)

Yes i am thinking more and more about this. I am seeing my Pdoc tomorrow and will see what he says. I am just worried about C/T (essentially) off of Valium for however long it will take while I am working. I will be done and can take off a big chunk of time end of Jan but from now and for the next 1.5 months solid i have function (and travel a bit). If I was just on the Ativan I would wait and start my taper when I am done but this feels like it's gonna be hell.

[de...]

Yes i am thinking more and more about this. I am seeing my Pdoc tomorrow and will see what he says. I am just worried about C/T (essentially) off of Valium for however long it will take while I am working. I will be done and can take off a big chunk of time end of Jan but from now and for the next 1.5 months solid i have function (and travel a bit). If I was just on the Ativan I would wait and start my taper when I am done but this feels like it's gonna be hell.

You can always ditch the Valium and stabilize at your original Ativan dose and hold there. Holding will give you time to stabilize and level out on the Ativan before you start tapering, and I wouldn’t recommend attempting to taper while you are feeling so poorly. So 1.5 months holding at your current dose of Ativan is very much in line with what Bob7 said regarding stabilizing on the Ativan. I highly doubt it will even take that long to be honest. That Valium will be eliminated long before then, especially considering the small dose and the short period of time you have been on it. Thinking things out thoroughly is a good thing!

You can always ditch the Valium and stabilize at your original Ativan dose and hold there. Holding will give you time to stabilize and level out on the Ativan before you start tapering, and I wouldn’t recommend attempting to taper while you are feeling so poorly. So 1.5 months holding at your current dose of Ativan is very much in line with what Bob7 said regarding stabilizing on the Ativan. I highly doubt it will even take that long to be honest. That Valium will be eliminated long before then, especially considering the small dose and the short period of time you have been on it. Thinking things out thoroughly is a good thing!

1000% to all of that. I will need to stabilize like crazy before my ATI taper. My concern is how am i gonna be functional while C/T valium?  I feel like it's gonna make the next few months hell. Today sucked.

[de...]

1000% to all of that. I will need to stabilize like crazy before my ATI taper. My concern is how am i gonna be functional while C/T valium?  I feel like it's gonna make the next few months hell. Today sucked.

It can definitely feel like it will last forever! The thing is, even if you did decide to do the crossover to Valium you are unfortunately going to be very likely to have even worse symptoms, especially since you said that you have started and stopped it as well as taken it in the past with some negative side effects. The Valium will clear out of your body completely within a few weeks max, and that’s a generous estimate. I guess one way to look at it is like this: if you are feeling really bad from the Valium now, you at least figured it out early in the crossover attempt and you are still able to fairly easily go back to Ativan at your previous dose and stabilize there. I’m sorry, I know it sucks and I wish I had more answers or suggestions.  :-\  I recall you saying you were having dizziness? Now that is one of the wd symptoms that can bring anyone to their knees and I completely sympathize with you on that! It’s the worst feeling! What are your current symptoms that you are really struggling with? Has the dizziness subsided? One thing that really helps is keeping a log of your symptoms and doses/times, etc. I just use a notebook but I just realized that my iPad has voice notes after having it for 2 years!  *facepalm* So even a voice log if you aren’t up to writing it out can be helpful to keep track of everything. I hope this helps some.  :)

I agree and support what though a glass darkly said.

Get stable on your old benzo and then try a liquid taper from there.

I think this is your best chance for the next month and a 1/2 but remember everybody is different.  We are just giving you the our best guess.  No matter what you do you will have withdrawal issues it's just something we all have to pay to get off these drugs.  But I can tell you it is worth it.  I am nearly a 100% better now.

Sherri:

I completely agree with Bob 7:

It seems the wisest course of action.

:smitten:

Best,

Katz

It can definitely feel like it will last forever! The thing is, even if you did decide to do the crossover to Valium you are unfortunately going to be very likely to have even worse symptoms, especially since you said that you have started and stopped it as well as taken it in the past with some negative side effects. The Valium will clear out of your body completely within a few weeks max, and that’s a generous estimate. I guess one way to look at it is like this: if you are feeling really bad from the Valium now, you at least figured it out early in the crossover attempt and you are still able to fairly easily go back to Ativan at your previous dose and stabilize there. I’m sorry, I know it sucks and I wish I had more answers or suggestions.  :-\  I recall you saying you were having dizziness? Now that is one of the wd symptoms that can bring anyone to their knees and I completely sympathize with you on that! It’s the worst feeling! What are your current symptoms that you are really struggling with? Has the dizziness subsided? One thing that really helps is keeping a log of your symptoms and doses/times, etc. I just use a notebook but I just realized that my iPad has voice notes after having it for 2 years!  *facepalm* So even a voice log if you aren’t up to writing it out can be helpful to keep track of everything. I hope this helps some.  :)

Hi,

I am keeping track of everything i take and when and the symptoms in a big calendar book I have. For some reason I'm doing it analog. My symptoms right now are dizziness, lightheadedness (feels like I am in a dream), high heart rate (POTS which I got from going on these meds and pretty much always have), lack of appetite (though I am eating), major light sensitivity which I haven't had before, and extreme anxiety. When i was just on .5 Ativan this weekend but sgtill had valium in my system from friday i didnt have any of this. It's crazy. I know it's gonna get worse as it leaves my system so i guess i just have to be prepared for that. I am seeing my doc today and am curious to hear what he says. Ugh. I wish i didnt stop and start the Valium. I am really, really sensitized to it now. My biggest frear is that my body is essentially going C/T on it and that it will add to longer term problems. I am terrified of that actually. Thank you for your advice and kinds words, TAGD!

Sherri:

I completely agree with Bob 7:

It seems the wisest course of action.

:smitten:

Best,

Katz

Yes i suppose so. I am def sensitized to Valium at this point. SO afraid of what C/T off it will be like.

I agree and support what though a glass darkly said.

I think this is your best chance for the next month and a 1/2 but remember everybody is different.  We are just giving you the our best guess.  No matter what you do you will have withdrawal issues it's just something we all have to pay to get off these drugs.  But I can tell you it is worth it.  I am nearly a 100% better now.

SO glad to hear you are better!! I agree with you on stabilizing. Just have a lot of fear about all the Valium in my system that will be leaving slowly and making my life hell.

I do have a tapering question, Bob. Can i do your taper plan (when it's time) with Ativan liquid? How would that work?

TY!

Yes the liquid form of ativan will actually work better because it should mix better.

So go back to my post and where I said you should put 3 of your pills in the water but instead put whatever dose or drops the doctor told you to use in the water. Everything else is the same.

Question - are you really still on 25 mg of ambien? 

Yes the liquid form of ativan will actually work better because it should mix better.

So go back to my post and where I said you should put 3 of your pills in the water but instead put whatever dose or drops the doctor told you to use in the water. Everything else is the same.

Question - are you really still on 25 mg of ambien?

Yes. I need to taper off of that too.

My biggest frear is that my body is essentially going C/T on it and that it will add to longer term problems. I am terrified of that actually.

I can see your fear is working overtime but think about this, I quit 6-10 mgs of Klonopin cold turkey, I say 6-10 because I had no idea how much I was taking a day, it varied but it was a lot.  I recovered in record time with no setbacks, no PTSD, everything back to normal.  There are plenty of horror stories to go around but our story doesn't have to be one.

Part of your issues might be too much benzos?

I took Klonopin or Ambien to treat by insomnia but not at the same time.

I would taper the Ambien first by taking all your Ativan at bed to prevent insomnia withdrawal.

Then when the Ambien is at zero, start on your Ativan.

But it is your choice.

I would taper the Ambien first by taking all your Ativan at bed to prevent insomnia withdrawal.

But it is your choice.

I think you are so right about too much benzos. I wish i could taper like that but i can't take all my Ativan at once. My body would freak out. I am working with my Psych on others ways to go down on it. We are talking about replacing the Trazadone with Neurontin for sleep. It's so messy and I'm so sad. I think if i didn't have the issue with Diazepam i could have tapered Ambien easier on that.  :(

But it is your choice.

I think you are so right about too much benzos. I wish i could taper like that but i can't take all my Ativan at once. My body would freak out. I am working with my Psych on others ways to go down on it. We are talking about replacing the Trazadone with Neurontin for sleep. It's so messy and I'm so sad. I think if i didn't have the issue with Diazepam i could have tapered Ambien easier on that.  :(

You should seriously think about seeing another doctor and get a set of good opinion.

You're on trazadone  ambien and Ativan  and a SSRI.

Don't be afraid to seek a second opinion.

And as for how you taper when you put all that stuff into a liquid you can just sip on it gradually throughout the day but save most of it for bedtime to sleep

But it is your choice.

You should seriously think about seeing another doctor and get a set of good opinion.

You're on trazadone  ambien and Ativan  and a SSRI.

Don't be afraid to seek a second opinion.

And as for how you taper when you put all that stuff into a liquid you can just sip on it gradually throughout the day but save most of it for bedtime to sleep

He inherited me on these meds very recently as I decided to make a change. It's my fault, not his.

[de...]
I want to say this as gently as possible. It sounds like you are really worrying yourself sick over the Valium, but unnecessarily so. I understand, I do, how our brains go into overdrive and we start imagining the worst possible scenarios. I just want to say that I agree with Bob7 that you might want to seriously consider a second opinion. You’re on 4 medications and 2 of them are for sleep as well? So why are you thinking about replacing trazadone with gabapentin? I’m not sure if you are aware that gabapentin/neurontin can be highly addictive and has to be tapered also? A good friend of mine went through a lot from gabapentin and struggled very horribly. I know Ambien has to be tapered as well and I think Bob7 gave you some sound advice and I really don’t know much about Ambien. Some people do taper multiple medications at once but it’s generally the exception and it will make for a harder benzo taper, and I highly doubt it would have been any easier to taper Ambien if you were still on Valium vs Ativan. I hope that you are able to get this figured out. You have received some very good advice here, and I hope it helps you, but ultimately it’s your decision and you will always be supported in whatever you choose.

I want to say this as gently as possible. It sounds like you are really worrying yourself sick over the Valium, but unnecessarily so. I understand, I do, how our brains go into overdrive and we start imagining the worst possible scenarios.

Ok, I will chill on this. I know that i make myself anxious worrying over what 'may' happen and that does a number on my CNS.

I just want to say that I agree with Bob7 that you might want to seriously consider a second opinion. You’re on 4 medications and 2 of them are for sleep as well? So why are you thinking about replacing trazadone with gabapentin? I’m not sure if you are aware that gabapentin/neurontin can be highly addictive and has to be tapered also? A good friend of mine went through a lot from gabapentin and struggled very horribly. I know Ambien has to be tapered as well and I think Bob7 gave you some sound advice and I really don’t know much about Ambien. Some people do taper multiple medications at once but it’s generally the exception and it will make for a harder benzo taper, and I highly doubt it would have been any easier to taper Ambien if you were still on Valium vs Ativan. I hope that you are able to get this figured out. You have received some very good advice here, and I hope it helps you, but ultimately it’s your decision and you will always be supported in whatever you choose.

I totally get what you are saying. Unfortunately as soon as i started to take Ativan the Ambien completely stopped working. I had taken the Traz as a way to sleep (Ativan doesnt help me sleep at all and i wasn't given it for sleep). I was using it to try to taper off of Ambien and it's actually worked and i've taken less. If I don't sleep I cannot function. But i hear you on the Neurontin. I was only going to try 100mg and never take more than 300mg and not take the traz. While my current psych didnt prescribe me the other meds he did suggest Neurontin for the reasons mentioned and also to help with anxiety since that has been getting worse. If something can help me sleep and get me off Ambien and i can stay on a low dose of it then I thought it would be OK, but I will rethink that. I'm on too much stuff and mostly worried about the Ativan/Valium situation and i know THAT is just the tip of the iceberg. I think it's because before the Ativan I was doing ok in terms of not feeling 'addicted' to anything. Of course I was totally dependent on Ambien but I never felt this kind of crazy dependence i now feel. Having said that, I need to get the Ambien down but am just not sure how to do that and sleep. I have to sleep. Thank you for the support and tough love. I need it.

• 4 weeks later...

Advice:

I am down to 3.6mg val/day 1.2mg 3x day and the interdose w/d is horrible. Also I feel so much better before i take my morning dose, and also feel little to no symptoms whenever I lie down. Idk what my body is trying to tel me but i know it no longer likes this val. I want to speed up as i'm doing .03mg drop every 3 days currently and feel like this is dragging it out and only adding more med to my system for it to flush out. Am i crazy for thinking every dose i take only makes this worse? Im starting to think my body is either saying speed up or quit idk....

Hello people,

I haven't been on here in a long time since being switched over to Diazepam from Ativan - boy what a relief!  No more interdose withdrawals and all the other fun stuff that comes from being on a short acting benzo.

I managed to get a psych who, at my very insistent request, agreed to switch me to diazepam.  It was a bit rocky for a while but things eventually smoothed out.

I have been working on my anxiety and have made HUGE progress; gained weight (a little more than I would have liked but NO COMPLAINTS), sleep has been a non-issue most of the time, GONE BACK TO MY FULL TIME JOB AS HOTEL RECEPTION AGENT and am able to do pretty much what I want thanks to a great online program based on the works by Dr. Claire Weekes.  The program has helped me more than anything since nothing has changed regarding my meds - it's work but well worth it.

I feel as though i'm not ready to taper off just yet as I need more practice with the anxiety symptoms but I am wondering if I could go from three doses a day to two.  The Ashton manual has a direct taper schedule from diazepam but it is based on two doses a day.

My question for the more knowledgeable folks on here is: what is the best way to go from three doses to two?

I am currently on 4mg in the morning, 3 at 5pm and then 4 around 11pm-midnight.

I thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide and wish everyone a peaceful Holiday season.

Cheers!

Monkeypig