Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Down to 0.35 vallium

Can’t decide to jump or not

Last drops have cause so much pain.

I’ve tapered from 3mg to 0.35 over two years so very slowly. Under 2mg it’s become so bad !!! I can’t face much more , I want to heal

Hey Oceandude. Sorry you are suffering so much. I felt the same way as you when my dose got that low. I wanted to be off the stuff and start healing, but also didn't want to botch all that hard earned progress by jumping too soon. I would recommend going lower before you jump. It sounds like you are in rough shape, and I'd hate you to have to reinstate and start tapering again. Just my humble opinion but you've come so far you may as well ease off this thing as gently as possible. To me it's kind of like landing an airplane. You've had a long lousy flight, but you might benefit from a gentle landing rather than dropping the last twenty feet to get it over with.

I had two years of pure hell and jumped from 0.1 mg. At five months off I can't believe how much better I'm doing. You've got so much of the battle behind you already and your recovery is not far off. Hang in there man, it really will end. Wishing you the best -

Tom

Appreciate the kind words tom

I am in bad shape , but I don’t think that will change. Ive been in bad shape since 2mg down, and I’ve gone very very slow. At least holding will give me a clue. If i feel stable then i may drop more, if i feel no difference then i may as well jump. Can’t heal Untill off and life isn’t worth living where I’m at.

I know some go to 0.1 and some jump at 0.5

So at least I’m in the middle.

The final decision really is the hardest !

Because are the WD and drop causeing pain because I’m still taking it. Or is it just WD

I do really appreciate you answering TOM thanks

Yeah you are definitely in the range where jumping is a real option. Hard decision for sure. You are the expert on you and how your system responds, so you'll know better than anyone. Hopefully you have a smooth jump. I'm excited for you to start experiencing the healing.

Vali, I have been thinking about you!  How are you?    :)

Hi Mary! Yes I think about you too. I don't come very often anymore. Life isn't treating me too badly but the level of stress is insane, and the brain sensitization anxiety doesn't seem to subside. I hardly ever feel relaxed, so I don't know when I'll make another cut. Don't worry, I'll be here for years at this rate, and I check in when I can but I have too much activity to read or write much. I do hope you're doing well and it's nice to see people cutting a bit every time I check.

I've been having noticeably less physical anxiety in the morning on 13 mg of valium in the evening. Good news. Hopefully I'll be stable on 12 and 12 which is my doctor's prescription soon.

Hi everyone, my anxiety was insane so I didn't have coffee today and I feel more relaxed but it's also true that my period just came so I don't know if it would be that I need to give up coffee altogether or I just had PMS. Can anyone relate? Is coffee too much for such a sensitized brain?

Hi Val,

I absolutely can NOT have any caffeine.  I have read and heard many talks about BWD, stating that for most,  caffeine is to be avoided.  With that said, I have heard others going through tapering who have had no issues with it.  It definitely effects me.  If you get rid of it, may be a good idea to gradually decline your usage if you tend to get headaches. 

Hi Val,

I absolutely can NOT have any caffeine.  I have read and heard many talks about BWD, stating that for most,  caffeine is to be avoided.  With that said, I have heard others going through tapering who have had no issues with it.  It definitely effects me.  If you get rid of it, may be a good idea to gradually decline your usage if you tend to get headaches.

Than you dear Mom of 7. I'll try to give up coffee for the umpteenth time in my life. Maybe this time I'll succeed as I'm fearing if I don't give it up I'll never be able to cut any further in my taper. I was hoping to be like those others who I can see drink coffee while they're tapering like begood or stut but I suppose I'm more sensitive. 😔

Hi Val,

Than you dear Mom of 7. I'll try to give up coffee for the umpteenth time in my life. Maybe this time I'll succeed as I'm fearing if I don't give it up I'll never be able to cut any further in my taper. I was hoping to be like those others who I can see drink coffee while they're tapering like begood or stut but I suppose I'm more sensitive. 😔

Vali, I buy a can of 1/2 caffeine, then a can of no caffeine and mix it.  I still get some caffeine and my coffee ️  :)

Hi Group, Did anyone struggle switching over to V/D.  I was on x for only two month (I know, I'm not one of the lucky ones) and developed dependency pretty quick.  I feel like my brain does not like D.  I was super happy and myself on X.  On D, I feel more depressed, less motivated and it does not seem to touch my anxiety.  X would wipe out my anxiety in a second.  Also, I was not put on these drugs for anxiety.  I had the flu and the doctor gave me Alprazolam (x) to help me sleep. I have come to accept my situation and I feel like I'm fighting for my life.  I started at 20 mg in Augustu and I'm microtapering down to 15 mg (almost there).  I'm going to hold on December 11th to let my body catch up and enjoy (as much as I can) the holidays.  Again, let me know if you had a smooth switch or did you also find yourself hating D/V?  Thanks for your input. 

Hi Group, Did anyone struggle switching over to V/D.  I was on x for only two month (I know, I'm not one of the lucky ones) and developed dependency pretty quick.  I feel like my brain does not like D.  I was super happy and myself on X.  On D, I feel more depressed, less motivated and it does not seem to touch my anxiety.  X would wipe out my anxiety in a second.  Also, I was not put on these drugs for anxiety.  I had the flu and the doctor gave me Alprazolam (x) to help me sleep. I have come to accept my situation and I feel like I'm fighting for my life.  I started at 20 mg in Augustu and I'm microtapering down to 15 mg (almost there).  I'm going to hold on December 11th to let my body catch up and enjoy (as much as I can) the holidays.  Again, let me know if you had a smooth switch or did you also find yourself hating D/V?  Thanks for your input.

I was on Xanax and switched to Diazepam to taper. I felt the same the same as you on X and didn't get nearly the therapeutic benefit from V. I had unbearable interdose withdrawal though while I was on X so the long half-life of D made it possible for me to taper. Seems like D only took the edge of some of the symptoms though, I never really felt good on it.

Good idea Mary, I might go for that when I need a REAL coffee, but for now I'm trying to see how much my sxs lift without any caffeine in my system. I feel more relaxed AND more depressed. But you know anxiety is my worst symptom so I'll stay off coffee for at least a while to see if I can cut a bit more. Although my psychiatrist wants me to hold. He should be in the LHSG 😂

Good idea Mary, I might go for that when I need a REAL coffee, but for now I'm trying to see how much my sxs lift without any caffeine in my system. I feel more relaxed AND more depressed. But you know anxiety is my worst symptom so I'll stay off coffee for at least a while to see if I can cut a bit more. Although my psychiatrist wants me to hold. He should be in the LHSG 😂

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the input Tom.  Yes.  I also agree the theraputic doses are not as potent as x but do last longer.  I noticed you jumped. How are you doing?  TG 

Hi Tallgolfer,

I also made the switch from Xanax to Valium. My switch was hard at first because of heavy drowsiness but it went away and I feel almost completely normal right now early into my taper. Like Tom said, on Xanax I had debilitating interdose withdrawals and I think moving to Valium was a step forward. I've been exercising and busying my mind all the time and I believe this has helped a lot.

Has anyone had trouble with their heart rate increasing rapidly with light physical activity as you got lower in your taper?

I can do 10-15 minutes of very light physical activity and my heart rate will jump from 70 bpm to 125 bpm very quickly. After that I am wiped out the rest of that day and into the next and it seems to increase all my other wd sx.

I have been slowly tapering the last 19 months from 15 mg to currently 3.4 mg, all the while slowing my taper and holding as I went. I didn't have this sx until I got down to around 5 mg. I know I still have a ways to go before the end of my taper, but this has definitely been one of the worst sx I have had throughout this process. I was hoping as I got closer to "0", these dang wd sx would start to ease up a little instead of getting worse.

Has anyone experienced this with your heart rate and activity toward the end of your taper, or anytime during your taper? And was there a point where it got better before you ended your taper?

Thanks to everyone for all the help throughout this nightmare. :smitten:

Im struggling with my taper BB's. Im doing a liquid micro taper in water with my D. Currently at 5.23mg down from 15mg. Was able to cut pretty quickly before 1-1.5mg  a week. It all caught up to me at 5.2mg when I crashed hard. Re-instated to 5.5mg and since have been tapering around 0.01mg as tolerated. I keep finding I have to hold a long time, about a week or longer every couple of weeks cause the cuts seem to catch up with me. Im worried i'll be tapering this last 5 mg for a year at this rate.

Can anyone shed some light on what could be happening, why is it sooooo hard now to even taper at such a slow rate. Will it get better, or worse as I go? Any suggestions? I was trying to be so careful not to go to fast again and get hit with withdrawals but over the last month ive only been able to get down 0.1mg and have been dealing with waves of unrelenting anxiety, dizziness and body tingling and just holding/waiting it out before I start microtapering again.  A month to get down 0.1mg just seems rediculous to me, I was able to cut so much more easily just a short time ago. Any advise, insight or support is appreciated!

Im struggling with my taper BB's. Im doing a liquid micro taper in water with my D. Currently at 5.23mg down from 15mg. Was able to cut pretty quickly before 1-1.5mg  a week. It all caught up to me at 5.2mg when I crashed hard. Re-instated to 5.5mg and since have been tapering around 0.01mg as tolerated. I keep finding I have to hold a long time, about a week or longer every couple of weeks cause the cuts seem to catch up with me. Im worried i'll be tapering this last 5 mg for a year at this rate.

Can anyone shed some light on what could be happening, why is it sooooo hard now to even taper at such a slow rate. Will it get better, or worse as I go? Any suggestions? I was trying to be so careful not to go to fast again and get hit with withdrawals but over the last month ive only been able to get down 0.1mg and have been dealing with waves of unrelenting anxiety, dizziness and body tingling and just holding/waiting it out before I start microtapering again.  A month to get down 0.1mg just seems rediculous to me, I was able to cut so much more easily just a short time ago. Any advise, insight or support is appreciated!

Because of Valium’s long half life withdrawal symptoms can sneak up on us if we’re tapering too quickly. Last year when I was tapering I tapered from 20 mg to .48 mg in 10.5 months and it bit me in the rear at the end. I reinstated to 4 mg and started a slow taper of the last bit. A week long hold is not long. There are people who have held for years. Personally the longest I’ve held is a month. It’s important not to taper if you’re having really bad symptoms because you can taper yourself into a hole that requires a truly long hold or possibly a sizeable updose to get stable. Tapering at the lower doses can be hard as the body and brain are fighting to heal and adjust to a much smaller amount of benzo.

Has anyone had trouble with their heart rate increasing rapidly with light physical activity as you got lower in your taper?

I can do 10-15 minutes of very light physical activity and my heart rate will jump from 70 bpm to 125 bpm very quickly. After that I am wiped out the rest of that day and into the next and it seems to increase all my other wd sx.

I have been slowly tapering the last 19 months from 15 mg to currently 3.4 mg, all the while slowing my taper and holding as I went. I didn't have this sx until I got down to around 5 mg. I know I still have a ways to go before the end of my taper, but this has definitely been one of the worst sx I have had throughout this process. I was hoping as I got closer to "0", these dang wd sx would start to ease up a little instead of getting worse.

Has anyone experienced this with your heart rate and activity toward the end of your taper, or anytime during your taper? And was there a point where it got better before you ended your taper?

My HR jumps pretty quickly with light exercise. It’s annoying, but I’ve found that it’s just another WD symptom and accepting it as such makes it much easier to deal with. Sometimes I use propranolol to help (also helps with heart palpitations).

Because of Valium’s long half life withdrawal symptoms can sneak up on us if we’re tapering too quickly. Last year when I was tapering I tapered from 20 mg to .48 mg in 10.5 months and it bit me in the rear at the end. I reinstated to 4 mg and started a slow taper of the last bit. A week long hold is not long. There are people who have held for years. Personally the longest I’ve held is a month. It’s important not to taper if you’re having really bad symptoms because you can taper yourself into a hole that requires a truly long hold or possibly a sizeable updose to get stable. Tapering at the lower doses can be hard as the body and brain are fighting to heal and adjust to a much smaller amount of benzo.

Yeah, it seems like it keeps catching up to me! I make a few very micro cuts over a week or so and WHAM, need to stabilize for 10+ days, then the process repeats. Did this over the last month and only  was able to get down 0.1mg. Im feeling a little hopeless, I guess. If I go slower it will take years to get off this last 5mg, but any faster and its borderline unbearable. Sigh.... all I can do is try to stay positive and get through this. Its hard though cause it seems like im living a nightmare I can't wake up from with these WDs, its consuming me.

CHo,

I'm not sure what's best because some stabilize and some just don't, requiring the individual to taper with acute symptoms the whole rest of the way unfortunately.  However, I just wanted to let you know that I understand the all-consuming bit and it feeling like a nightmare.  I have been there and remember waking up the same way every morning, thinking "I can't believe this is happening!! How did I get there? I can't believe I did XYZ.  If only.....!!"  I hope this turns around for you.  I'm so sorry for your suffering.  You do not deserve this.

P.S. One thing - have you been doing a water taper this whole time?  If not, I would consider looking at that as a possible problem also. 

Thanks for the input Tom.  Yes.  I also agree the theraputic doses are not as potent as x but do last longer.  I noticed you jumped. How are you doing?  TG

Five months off and doing much better. Still have some healing to do but things have gotten SO much better. I wish I could have been shown how much I'd improve when I was in my darkest days.

My HR jumps pretty quickly with light exercise. It’s annoying, but I’ve found that it’s just another WD symptom and accepting it as such makes it much easier to deal with. Sometimes I use propranolol to help (also helps with heart palpitations).

Thanks Kit,

I am going through my first lengthy bad wave since I started tapering...about 5 days now. Bp all over the place, chills, anxiety, etc.. I haven't had a panic attack since I co to valium in April 2019, and last night out of the blue...Bamm, there it was and still lingering today. I think it is time to put my taper on hold for a bit and hopefully I can stabilize again. Another BB warned me to watch out for the "weeds" around 3 mg...that person was sooo right, I just hope I caught it in time to allow my body to catch up again.

Thanks again so much for your reply. :)

Hi group:

Been inactive for nearly two months. Had a degenerative disc disease flare-up for the first time. Have had back issues for over 16 years and one surgery.

Never have I experiences so much moment-to-moment pain. Nothing diminished it--analgesic and even tramadol did nothing. Muscle relaxers modest relief. However, three days ago, I took the initial dospak prednisol and the inflammation and pain dropped by 80%.

The disability caused by bad backs is enormous. Everything is a battle. Bet I could have cold turkeyed 3 mg V and never would have SX's due to overpowering pain.

Back to some yoga and stretches and maybe PT. I will know how to deal with flare-ups in the future.

On the positive side, I lost 7 pounds. And my doc did some extensive BW and said your results are like someone 20 years younger. Encouraging.

Hope all those having tapering SX's are doing better.

Behind on my tapper---dropped to 2.8 mg last PM.

Cheers

HI,  I just wanted to celebrate on this group that I'm 25 % done with my taper.  I've gone from 20 mg to 15 mg.  I know it's small potatoes and I have a long way to go.  Just wanted to share.  TG

CHo,

I'm not sure what's best because some stabilize and some just don't, requiring the individual to taper with acute symptoms the whole rest of the way unfortunately.  However, I just wanted to let you know that I understand the all-consuming bit and it feeling like a nightmare.  I have been there and remember waking up the same way every morning, thinking "I can't believe this is happening!! How did I get there? I can't believe I did XYZ.  If only.....!!"  I hope this turns around for you.  I'm so sorry for your suffering.  You do not deserve this.

P.S. One thing - have you been doing a water taper this whole time?  If not, I would consider looking at that as a possible problem also.

Thanks for your support. I have been doing water taper since I was about 10mg, so it’s been quite a while.