Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

blue,

So sorry to hear about the back pain but glad you were able to find something that helped!  Great to hear that you are healthy otherwise.

TG,

Congrats on 25% down.  That's really awesome!

Jojo,

Sorry about the wave and hope it passes real soon. 

Does anyone take Propranolol or Metoprolol along with your Valium taper?

I have been experiencing increased anxiety, heart rate, and bp lately during my taper. My Dr. thinks one of these meds could help with those sx, but I am afraid of how it might interact with the Valium. If it would give just a little relief I would be all for it, but I'm worried about the negative effects it may have.

Any experiences?

Thanks and try to enjoy the holidays. :)

Does anyone take Propranolol or Metoprolol along with your Valium taper?

I have been experiencing increased anxiety, heart rate, and bp lately during my taper. My Dr. thinks one of these meds could help with those sx, but I am afraid of how it might interact with the Valium. If it would give just a little relief I would be all for it, but I'm worried about the negative effects it may have.

Any experiences?

Thanks and try to enjoy the holidays. :)

I take propranolol as needed for racing heart and palpitations. It works really well for me. If you don’t have problems with bradycardia (low heart rate) it might be a good fit for you.

Thanks Kitsune,

I may give the Propranolol a try since I previously never had a problem with a low heart rate. I just hope it doesn't lower my heart rate too much combined with the Valium.

Has your taper been better since switching over to Rx liquid? I have been making my own with a vodka solution, but my Dr. is willing to let me try Rx liquid 5mg/5ml. What have you and others found to be the benefits, if any, of using Rx liquid for your tapers? Did anyone notice a difference (good or bad) after they switched to Rx liquid?

Thanks again :)

Hi Nikitis,

For me it's quite normal. I usually feel even the smallest cut the next day.  Even though there are those that think it's not possible. I've had that happen a lot.

Try to use the tools we know can help, such as distracting yourself.

Best of luck!

Trochsetter

Hi Nikitis,

For me it's quite normal. I usually feel even the smallest cut the next day.  Even though there are those that think it's not possible. I've had that happen a lot.

Try to use the tools we know can help, such as distracting yourself.

Best of luck!

Trochsetter

Thank you. I hope it'll be gone tomorrow.

I have physical anxiety the second day after my cut. It's a horrible feeling, will it go away?

I get waves of unrelenting anxiety when I cut, it wasnt too bad when my dose was higher, now that im down to 5mg and under, i feel it with even small cuts. The anxiety is not for any reason, just the withdrawals. It comes after I cut, it sticks around for a few days and slowly goes away. You will get to know how your body reacts to the cuts. I know in the midst of the WD symptoms you can feel or worry that they wont go away, but eventually they do. To be honest, the best is to just reassure yourself that its just the WD and they will soon pass.  I tend to fixate and worry, but I find that the more I worry the worse the WDs are. 

Going back to your question, yes you can feel anxiety at any point as the healing process tends to wax and wane, its not linear. 

Thanks Kitsune,

I may give the Propranolol a try since I previously never had a problem with a low heart rate. I just hope it doesn't lower my heart rate too much combined with the Valium.

Has your taper been better since switching over to Rx liquid? I have been making my own with a vodka solution, but my Dr. is willing to let me try Rx liquid 5mg/5ml. What have you and others found to be the benefits, if any, of using Rx liquid for your tapers? Did anyone notice a difference (good or bad) after they switched to Rx liquid?

Thanks again :)

Propranolol is really helpful and fairly benign when taken only as needed and not on a regular basis (it has to be tapered if taken regularly). The Rx diazepam solution allows for more accuracy and its simpler to taper with. We don’t know for certain that the homebrew method creates a true solution (hence why you should shake it before drawing your dose). I switched over pretty quickly, I would go slower and not keep tapering through it if I had to do it again, but the rough symptoms I had have gotten much better. The biggest benefit for me is that it’s much easier to make your solution.

Nikitis, I was able to go donwn 1 mg every month from 20-15.  Now that I'm going down to 14.  I'll do a super slow microtaper.  It will be about 1/2 mg each month.  It's no rush.  It's better to take it slow than to updose. 

Also, is anyone else holding through the holidays.  I'm just below 15 and I'm like...I'm holding. I want to enjoy the holidays without new SX popping up.  Do any of you hold for important events/days?  TG

Nikitis, I was able to go donwn 1 mg every month from 20-15.  Now that I'm going down to 14.  I'll do a super slow microtaper.  It will be about 1/2 mg each month.  It's no rush.  It's better to take it slow than to updose. 

Also, is anyone else holding through the holidays.  I'm just below 15 and I'm like...I'm holding. I want to enjoy the holidays wit hout new SX popping up.  Do any of you hold for important events/days?  TG

yes, unfortunately The most likely days I'll updose are Important days and holidays.

Propranolol is really helpful and fairly benign when taken only as needed and not on a regular basis (it has to be tapered if taken regularly). The Rx diazepam solution allows for more accuracy and its simpler to taper with. We don’t know for certain that the homebrew method creates a true solution (hence why you should shake it before drawing your dose). I switched over pretty quickly, I would go slower and not keep tapering through it if I had to do it again, but the rough symptoms I had have gotten much better. The biggest benefit for me is that it’s much easier to make your solution.

kitsune - Recently I've been trying the liquid diazepam from a compound Rx (2mg/ml).  They gave me a 1 ml syringe, I tip the bottle upside down, insert the syringe into a little hole in the top (quite easy). I'm still getting used to the liquid so yesterday I started dosing 3x/day and it seems to be helping out.  Regarding your liquid diazepam, I've got a couple of questions:

1) Is yours created by a compound pharmacy or is it the factory made pre-bottled version (like Intensol 5 mg/5ml) ?

2) How many times per day do you dose ?

Breck

I had major physical anxiety this morning so I didn't go to work. It still lingers...

Edit: afternoon update i took 3 lemon balm capsules of 100 mg each but the anxious feeling still lingers. How the heck am I supposed to get off the valium if I get this much physical anxiety with only a reduction of 1 mg?! I'm suffering so much and I'm feeling so hopeless and in agony.

kitsune - Recently I've been trying the liquid diazepam from a compound Rx (2mg/ml).  They gave me a 1 ml syringe, I tip the bottle upside down, insert the syringe into a little hole in the top (quite easy). I'm still getting used to the liquid so yesterday I started dosing 3x/day and it seems to be helping out.  Regarding your liquid diazepam, I've got a couple of questions:

1) Is yours created by a compound pharmacy or is it the factory made pre-bottled version (like Intensol 5 mg/5ml) ?

2) How many times per day do you dose ?

Breck

My diazepam is made by Roxane Westward, not a compound pharmacy. It’s the 5 mg/5 ml concentration. The intensol version they make is 5 mg/ml. I dose twice a day.

Nikitis,

I'm very sorry.  I don't have the answers but can empathize.  I had to give up my career over a year ago and go on disability and it was a very scary time because I was the sole income earner in my house.  I'm blessed because Valium has been kinder to me but I am on a very slow liquid microtaper now.  No matter what, even if hell breaks loose again, I know I have to get off these meds - there's no other option for me otherwise.  I would suggest looking into coping techniques, look at your options and try to make a plan, listen to some podcasts, stay away from the gloom and doom.  Prayers for peace!

Nikitis,

I'm very sorry.  I don't have the answers but can empathize.  I had to give up my career over a year ago and go on disability and it was a very scary time because I was the sole income earner in my house.  I'm blessed because Valium has been kinder to me but I am on a very slow liquid microtaper now.  No matter what, even if hell breaks loose again, I know I have to get off these meds - there's no other option for me otherwise.  I would suggest looking into coping techniques, look at your options and try to make a plan, listen to some podcasts, stay away from the gloom and doom.  Prayers for peace!

Thank you Momof7babes, I really appreciate it. It could've been the prefabricated processed spices I ate the day before at dinner that could've caused the heavy physical anxiety. Tonight I ate ham with cheese on chicory and I can't tolerate ham so I was getting some physical anxiety from that but I took 3 extra lemon balm capsules and the physical anxiety has faded. Hopefully it won't have an effect tomorrow.

Nikitas:

I really think that you are having an issue with histamine items.

Spices are very high in histamine, therefore, you should avoid them.

Ham is also very high in histamine, as are most cheeses, especially cheddar etc.

Also, gluten can be hard as well, best to go gluten free for this process.

The other option you have is to take DAO supplements prior to eating, they can help with the histamine items.

Histamine releases every time you eat, so that can last for a few hours for the digestion process.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to look at your diet.

For me, I couldn't complete my crossover to Valium as it blocks our body's DAO and I have too many issues to continue, had to go back to Ativan.

There are many sites and lists that tell you what are high histamine foods.

Good luck,

WinnieDog

I know I’m being sooo whiny but I’m having a very hard time! I’m terrified! How did I bounce back all the other times but this is brutal. It feels like when I first started. I can’t cook, clean or take care of my son. He’s being homeschooled and I haven’t been helping at all! I hope this lets up. Maybe I should start taking the diazepam 2x a day? I don’t want to mess up any more though. I’m scared. I’m stuck 7.5 mgs for over a month now!

Hi Scorpio.  So sorry you are still suffering.  I'm not sure what is best but for me, I take 3 even doses a day (or close to it).  For a while, I didn't notice when I was late for a dose but now, I notice that my jaw tightens up.  The shorter metabolites of Valium break down in only a few hours for some.  I think it definitely varies by person as far as how many doses are best but for me, I plan to stick with the 3 to try and avoid interdose withdrawal symptoms.

Hi Scorpio.  So sorry you are still suffering.  I'm not sure what is best but for me, I take 3 even doses a day (or close to it).  For a while, I didn't notice when I was late for a dose but now, I notice that my jaw tightens up.  The shorter metabolites of Valium break down in only a few hours for some.  I think it definitely varies by person as far as how many doses are best but for me, I plan to stick with the 3 to try and avoid interdose withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you. I’ve heard that most people don’t experience interdose withdrawals from diazepam. I just don’t know what’s happening! My last cut was 11-13-20. Since thanksgiving I’ve been getting worse!

It’s been 1 month and 5 days since my last cut and I’m getting worse. I feel like I’ve just Ct’d. I’m so scared and I’m hiding my sx from my doctor. I’m hoping someone will give me some input. This was my 4th cut from 10mgs to now 7.5mgs once daily. My ears burn and buzz. Everything burns. Is this for the rest of my life? I need hope.

It’s been 1 month and 5 days since my last cut and I’m getting worse. I feel like I’ve just Ct’d. I’m so scared and I’m hiding my sx from my doctor. I’m hoping someone will give me some input. This was my 4th cut from 10mgs to now 7.5mgs once daily. My ears burn and buzz. Everything burns. Is this for the rest of my life? I need hope.

Scorpio, how long did it take you to make that cut from 10 to 7.5?  That's a 25% cut which is a lot.

A month is not a long Hold at all, it's actually a very short one.  Also unfortunately, a lot of people get worse before they get better.  So , imo, you need to hold until your symptoms calm down some and become more tolerable.  You need to explain to your Dr you can't cut that quickly, in the mean time, you may need to be on the search for another Dr to help you.  You can't be forced to go faster than your brain and central nervous system can handle or you will get worse and worse.  I am so sorry you are going through this, withdrawal is bad enough without having a Dr to let you go at your own pace.

Good luck, we are here for you.  Please keep us posted!  Mary 🙋🏼🙋🏼