Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Thank you. How has your taper been? I see my psychiatrist on the 16th and I’ll share this with him. To be honest, I used to be a pharmacy tech and did believe people were just drug seekers. This experience has taught me hard lessons. After my son is 13 I’ll be going back to work. I will be a better person!

I'm so sorry and understand.  Trying to care for others is SO hard in this. And the guilt!  Any chance your doctor would be willing to look at a new website, benzoreform.org?  It's for practitioners specifically.  I've been listening to the podcasts by Geraldine Burns.  She is also on Youtube.  She has interviewed several experts in addiction medicine, specifically benzos.  Dr. Steven Wright is a good one to reference, who advocates for a patient-led taper and helped put the practitioner website together.  Hope I'm not going to get in trouble posting these links but I think they can be helpful.  Hang in there!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/benzodiazepine-awareness-with-geraldine-burns/id1358022441

Thank you! I have my family listening to the podcasts! My 27 year old daughter, 9 year old son and 3 grandchildren. My husband is at work but he will listen to it when he gets home. I’m going to make sure that nothing like this happens to my loved ones. I’m black, like that matters, and in most of the black community, we don’t do psychiatrists, therapy or meds. So it’s hard for my friends and family to understand Rx drugs. So I’m sharing this with everyone that I know. Hopefully it helps others too! Thank you! I hope that you and your family are well. 7 children! You’re a goddess!

Yes!  Trying to make others aware, to make our suffering matter, helps so much.  This is a life changing experience and I've heard many say, for the better (once you get through and can appreciate)!  I can definitely understand the cultural difference and honestly, I think it's better to stay away from most of these psychs (as you have experienced yourself).  FYI - Baylissa Frederick is a beautiful black soul from Jamaica and she is one that so many of us go to for this whole thing as she went through it herself but is a therapist also.  You can Google her.  She has her own website and counsels people but she's also written books and done interviews.

As far as 7 kids.....well, there's more to screw up, huh?  God has blessed me for now as I was completely non-functional when I was on Klonopin and trying to taper it.  I crossed over to Valium and it's been so much better.  I am doing a liquid microtaper using the pharmacy prescription.  I am a little more than halfway through and praying to maintain functionality but I know that anything can happen.....just trying not to think of it as I know there's no way to predict. 

Momof7babes, I’ve been sitting here all day listening to podcasts, researching Baylissa and trying not to go crazy! It’s great information but my anxiety is so high. Everything scares me. But it does give me so much hope too. Thank you again. I hope you’re well.

Down to 0.35 vallium

Can’t decide to jump or not

Last drops have cause so much pain.

I’ve tapered from 3mg to 0.35 over two years so very slowly. Under 2mg it’s become so bad !!! I can’t face much more , I want to heal

I have cut 1 mg in the evening, going from 14 to 13 mg of valium in the evening. Hopefully all goes well and I'll soon be on 12 and 12 again which is my doctor's prescription.

Oceandude,

So sorry to hear about your suffering and pain.  I honestly don't know what is best but as for me, I plan to microtaper to 0 or very close to it.  If I get bad, I might increase the tapering speed some to get off sooner but I still plan to go to 0.  Hopefully, some others can weigh in with their opinions. 

Down to 0.35 vallium

I’ve tapered from 3mg to 0.35 over two years so very slowly. Under 2mg it’s become so bad !!! I can’t face much more , I want to heal

Hey Oceandude. Sorry you are suffering so much. I felt the same way as you when my dose got that low. I wanted to be off the stuff and start healing, but also didn't want to botch all that hard earned progress by jumping too soon. I would recommend going lower before you jump. It sounds like you are in rough shape, and I'd hate you to have to reinstate and start tapering again. Just my humble opinion but you've come so far you may as well ease off this thing as gently as possible. To me it's kind of like landing an airplane. You've had a long lousy flight, but you might benefit from a gentle landing rather than dropping the last twenty feet to get it over with.

I had two years of pure hell and jumped from 0.1 mg. At five months off I can't believe how much better I'm doing. You've got so much of the battle behind you already and your recovery is not far off. Hang in there man, it really will end. Wishing you the best -

Tom

Down to 0.35 vallium

Hey Oceandude. Sorry you are suffering so much. I felt the same way as you when my dose got that low. I wanted to be off the stuff and start healing, but also didn't want to botch all that hard earned progress by jumping too soon. I would recommend going lower before you jump. It sounds like you are in rough shape, and I'd hate you to have to reinstate and start tapering again. Just my humble opinion but you've come so far you may as well ease off this thing as gently as possible. To me it's kind of like landing an airplane. You've had a long lousy flight, but you might benefit from a gentle landing rather than dropping the last twenty feet to get it over with.

I had two years of pure hell and jumped from 0.1 mg. At five months off I can't believe how much better I'm doing. You've got so much of the battle behind you already and your recovery is not far off. Hang in there man, it really will end. Wishing you the best -

Tom

Appreciate the kind words tom

I am in bad shape , but I don’t think that will change. Ive been in bad shape since 2mg down, and I’ve gone very very slow. At least holding will give me a clue. If i feel stable then i may drop more, if i feel no difference then i may as well jump. Can’t heal Untill off and life isn’t worth living where I’m at.

I know some go to 0.1 and some jump at 0.5

So at least I’m in the middle.

The final decision really is the hardest !

Because are the WD and drop causeing pain because I’m still taking it. Or is it just WD

I do really appreciate you answering TOM thanks

I have cut 1 mg in the evening, going from 14 to 13 mg of valium in the evening. Hopefully all goes well and I'll soon be on 12 and 12 again which is my doctor's prescription.

Excellent Nikitis, you're on your way!  :clap:  You're likely to feel anxiety and restlessness and other symptoms but the only way out of this mess is through, so keep pushing through.  :thumbsup:

Down to 0.35 vallium

Tom

A great analogy Tom!  I copied it and put your post on other threads, so many people could benefit from it.  Thanks!!    Mary 🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼😷😘😘

Excellent Nikitis, you're on your way!  :clap:  You're likely to feel anxiety and restlessness and other symptoms but the only way out of this mess is through, so keep pushing through.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, but the hospital is not gonna give me the flumazenil treatment, they're offering 2 admissions of 6 weeks for tapering off. I might be able to make it 8 weeks each but it still won't be enough time.

Thanks, but the hospital is not gonna give me the flumazenil treatment, they're offering 2 admissions of 6 weeks for tapering off. I might be able to make it 8 weeks each but it still won't be enough time.

I don't understand the need for flumazenil, I've heard mixed reviews on it and I also don't see the need for a hospital admission when you're well equipped with knowledge and support do to this on your own.  You have the power to help yourself, I hope you'll use it.

Hi I am posting for a friend who is too acute to post at the moment.

She has been doing a combination of Roche and Mayne diazepam and they are both being discontinued.  She needs help either finding people who have extra of these meds (maybe people done their tapers) as well as help with the math for using a gram scale.  Are there any math wizzes here?

Thanks so much!

She has been doing a combination of Roche and Mayne diazepam and they are both being discontinued.  She needs help either finding people who have extra of these meds (maybe people done their tapers) as well as help with the math for using a gram scale.  Are there any math wizzes here?

Thanks so much!

If you'll start a thread on the titration board we've got some great math nerds who can help you, just provide the medication, the dose and what she needs to accomplish.  Here is the link.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

If you're soliciting members to provide your friend with medication, this would be illegal and unwelcome on the forum.

Thanks so much!

If you'll start a thread on the titration board we've got some great math nerds who can help you, just provide the medication, the dose and what she needs to accomplish.  Here is the link.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

If you're soliciting members to provide your friend with medication, this would be illegal and unwelcome on the forum.

I see you've started multiple threads, I'll move one of them to the correct board.

why don't you try cutting 1 mg.  See how you feel and then cut another 1 mg.  Why take the risk. Going up and down is not good on the system.  Plus, I D. you may not feel the cut until several days later.  What is the rush to get off so fast.  It looks like you had two bad setbacks and had to updose. This is a signal that your body is very sensitive.

I'm low on 2 mg valium pills and I'm already taking more than what is prescribed. How long should I wait until I cut the other mg?

I don't understand the need for flumazenil, I've heard mixed reviews on it and I also don't see the need for a hospital admission when you're well equipped with knowledge and support do to this on your own.  You have the power to help yourself, I hope you'll use it.

Where can I find the mixed reviews?

Where can I find the mixed reviews?

The Other Medications board is full of them.

Yeah I'm doubting about the hospital admission.

Thanks so much!

Are you sure Roche is discontinued? My psychiatrist is trying to get me a pre-authorization for the insurance to cover the brand name. The issue we've run into so far is the cost (very expensive). When I look it up it looks like the brand name is manufactured by Genentech which is now part of Roche. So it seems like it's still available, but I could be wrong.

Hello, I've read some of the posts here with interest as I am currently helping my son with a taper. Two weeks ago he took his last cut of Ativan, having completely switched to Valium over a 2/3 month period of time. His original dose of Ativan was 6 mgs and he is now taking 30 mgs of Valium. I am asking for advice as he is currently feeling dissociated from reality , especially in the evenings and extreme frustration and anger and he feels he is losing his mind ( his words). Also, awful depression and suicidal ideation. He has always suffered from OCD and that too is very troubling at the moment ( fuelled by a relationship breakup). He is due to start the Valium taper on Monday at 2.5 mgs ( not sure whether it will be from the morning or afternoon dose) currenty he takes 10mgs am and 10mgs afternoon and 10 mgs in the evening. I just wanted to ask for some advice around this taper and what to look out for and how I can help in practical ways. I also wanted to ask how this high dose of Valium may be affecting him.

Mag, according to the Ashton Manual 1 mg of Ativan equals 10 mgs of Valium.  So his benzo has had close to a 50 % cut.  That is huge and probably why he is having such rough symptoms.  Now most people would agree the 10 mgs may be too much.  More like 7 or 8 would be a closer equivalence .

That's still 7x 6 or 42 mgs.  That's still a huge cut.  Can you increase his dose of Valium? 

The Ashton Manual is on google.  Please don't decrease his dose until he is more stable.  Right now his brain and central nervous system are very unstable.  Valium is a different type of benzo.  It has 3 metabolites, one for anxiety, one for sleep, and one for muscles.  They all have different half lives.

Many people adjust to Valium easily, others don't.  I would , imo, increase his dose to at least 40.

He may have trouble adjusting to it, but give his body a chance.  He may be very sleepy, and some are pretty depressed.  It won't be easy.  If you increase his dose, hold there for awhile and hopefully he will begin to feel more stable.  By stable, we don't mean no symptoms, we mean the symptoms are easier to handle.    Read the whole Ashton Manual, it will give you lots of knowledge.  If you would fill out his drug history on his profile under signature.  That will help us give you more support.  Good luck, we will be here to support you in any way we can.    Mary 🙋🏼

Mag, I agree with Mary, he has horrible benzo withdrawal symptoms from a huge cut. That huge cut can bring living hell symptoms and if he were my son I'd get him on the equivalent dose to what he was taking which would be 60 mgs Valium, and if that's not possible then back to 6mgs Ativan and taper that one. I wouldn't even think of tapering for at least a few months, until he stabilizes from this huge cut. Reinstatement doesn't just make you fine again. It takes months. This is my opinion based on my readings and my own experience. I'm no doctor.