Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Taper Bromazolam - short duration/low dose

[De...]
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

i’m a Female, 31, and got slipped into daily Bromazolam usage.

It all started in december when i was still in control. I took it (1/4 pressed tabled, 0,7 mg) only once a week at -my late-at-work shift- because of difficulties winding down for sleep. I could have done it without, but it made it easier. Slowly i was taking it every other day during January, when i realised this was wrong.

I managed to bring it all to zero. I was off for a week end of January. No big issues, except for a less deeper sleep. 

Then, life happened and the anxiety that came with it made me fall into taking it daily, since the first week of February. 0,7, with some anxious days going up to 1,5 mg.

I took it steady 0,7 during march. I managed to bring it down towards 0,5 at the end of april (the last couple of weeks). I had a small setback to 0,7 for a couple days. But i am now at 0,5 mg again.

Mild WD symptoms like hard time falling asleep, and more anxious. But its bearable.

I really want to be at a point where i can jump off without any major problems (like seize) in hopefully a couple weeks. I assume i can expect WD symptoms, but the idea of seizures frightens me out. I know i am on a low dose and not longer than frequently since 4 months. But still.

My plan is to bring it down to 0,25 for a week. And maybe do some last days on 0,15 to stretch a little bit.

I have also norflurazepam, i can switch to that thats recommended. Let me know if you think so.

I really like to know if you think i will be fine with this. Really need some honest opinions about the risk of seizures and jumping off in about two weeks with my dose/frequency. 

Thank you already!

Edited by [De...]

[Re...]

Hello @[De...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am so glad you found us! 

It looks like you have a plan with the bromazolam.

Seizures really don't happen often as I read people's stories here. If you don't have a seizure disorder, it is not worth being especially concerned about that. 

There is a phenomenon called kindling, I will also post a link about that here.  That means each cessation of a psychiatric drug might be a bit more difficult than the previous one. Hence the anxiety and difficulty of falling asleep you experienced. If you are ready with this short term taper, please have this in mind. 

After short term use and uncomplicated history, I believe doing a short term taper is reasonable, a few weeks maximum. After long term use and a more challenging history, however, a different approach is recommended. 

I really hope you will be fine @[De...], I am positive our members will way in soon, too.

Take care 

RR

[De...]
Posted (edited)

Thank you RR!

From 2020 till 2022 i used etizolam (1 mg each day before sleep), i managed to taper that off without major issues; except for weird light flashes with my eyes closed when i tried to fall asleep the first day off (i fel asleep eventually... after that, zero issues).  

Will this affect my current taper? Its already 2 years ago. I know its a quick one now. But i have to leave the country which is my biggest concern. If its okay-ish WD symptoms, i'll face it and go through it. But if i risk brain damage, i need to find a solution. Maybe going see a doctor hoping they go along giving me some anxiety prescription. I just try to be prepared for every probable scenario.  

For now, i stick for a few days on 0.5 mg. Still feeling anxious, trouble falling a sleep, but eventually i sleep and get 7 hours in. I also dream, so i get into REM. Hope i can bring it down to 0.25 after this weekend. And then a few days on 0.15, before i jump when i go traveling (is a daily dry cut taper recommended maybe?) 

And if i choose to switch to norflurazepam (which i am not certain yet). Would it be good to spread the doses to every other day, and maybe after that every 3 days? Sorting it all out now!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by [De...]

[Re...]

@[De...], it is so good to see that you are dedicated to taper bromazolam.

I would take enough medication with me to this trip if possible, and depending on the length of the trip I would postpone this process. I would see a doctor to get a new prescription, that is for certain. I think it is good news that you are experiencing mild withdrawal symptoms, however, because of the high potency of these drugs, difficulties may arise when going lower. 

Trying to "taper" with taking the medication every other day, or every third day is not recommended, you will suffer from interdose withdrawal each time and you stress your own body with this method. Taking the medication each day the same time, with trying to avoid severe symptoms is the safest way to stop benzodiazepines or medications that work in a very similar way. 

I have no experience with switching bromazolam to norflurazepam, sadly, these are meds I have only heard about.

[De...]
Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 17:06, [[R...] said:

@[De...]

Trying to "taper" with taking the medication every other day, or every third day is not recommended, you will suffer from interdose withdrawal each time and you stress your own body with this method. Taking the medication each day the same time, with trying to avoid severe symptoms is the safest way to stop benzodiazepines or medications that work in a very similar way.

Thanks for your information! the way i was thinking in this direction, is because of the stacking which norflurazepam does each day with its massive half-life. So i'm not really sure about interdose in terms of Gaba. Might be in terms of the sobriety feeling perhaps. I don't know. 

Due to personal reasons i don't want my doctor get involved in this tapering process. 

Really appreciate your eye on it! Means a lot! I'm definitely dedicated but i don't want to slap myself in the face and develop some serious health problems along this short road. 

Edited by [De...]

[De...]
Posted (edited)

So, i am now at 0.4 bromazolam (0,27 grams on the scale) 

I have a slightly different plan for the last bits. I am thinking about tapering daily. The last 3 days i tapered daily with the scale: 0,33 to 0,27. I have mild insomnia (still dreaming, but harsh nightmares), mild rebound anxiety..

I hope i can stay on this method, cutting daily a small amount. So i can be off the benzos quickly, i dont want to be longer on it than necessary. Because the short duration and also my comfort level at 0.7 bromaz being low, i hope this mild insomnia and mild rebound anxiety will be it if i proceed. This is bearable. 

Edited by [De...]