Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hope for the nausea try some ginger tea. It really works. If it is stomach cramps peppermint tea works better.  Also perhaps you would do better doing a micro taper of the Valium it is so much easier on you then the cut and hold. Diaz -pam (sp?) I know has it in her signature how to do it with the liquid. If you want to do it using your pills and a scale I know many here and on the micro taper board will help you. For me cut and hold was shock and awe so to speak and the micro taper while not s/x free is more like going down a ramp and you have much more control over your cuts since you can cut as fast as you want, hold when you need to, slow or speed up your pace all depending on how you feel.  If you can handle the liquid that IMHO is the easiest and  most accurate way to go.  Nice meeting you at the K Klub. 

Ok ! i really need a little help then... as good as my languages are..; as bad my math is. Is there a possibility to go on liquid with the pills of 5,2,1.5, 1 and 0.5 that I have ? How do you do this ? I don't want to mix alcohol because i'm not drinking at all. Can somebody explain in an easy way how I get on a slow taper from 4 mg tot 0.  I got this far... and want to try a slow taper but do not now how to start and scared to do something wrong. I'm from Belgium. Maybe someone here can explain in Dutch how to do sow or a YouTube film in Dutch how to do this. And how do I start and how to cut from 4 mg in how many days.

Sorry for all the questions ... for now I'm staying on 4 mg so that I know that I'm doing this the right way. Please someone help ! I've been in a burnout since May 2015, got the feeling that I want to start so much again but the meds are holding me back. My family is starting to loose faith that I'll ever be okay again. Thanks already for the help and support !

Ok ! i really need a little help then... as good as my languages are..; as bad my math is. Is there a possibility to go on liquid with the pills of 5,2,1.5, 1 and 0.5 that I have ? How do you do this ? I don't want to mix alcohol because i'm not drinking at all. Can somebody explain in an easy way how I get on a slow taper from 4 mg tot 0.  I got this far... and want to try a slow taper but do not now how to start and scared to do something wrong. I'm from Belgium. Maybe someone here can explain in Dutch how to do sow or a YouTube film in Dutch how to do this. And how do I start and how to cut from 4 mg in how many days.

Sorry for all the questions ... for now I'm staying on 4 mg so that I know that I'm doing this the right way. Please someone help ! I've been in a burnout since May 2015, got the feeling that I want to start so much again but the meds are holding me back. My family is starting to loose faith that I'll ever be okay again. Thanks already for the help and support !

Hallo Marieke, helaas kan het niet in het Nederlands( unfortunelatly, can't do this in Dutch ) since nobody else would  be able to follow it. But it really is very simple.

You are on 4 mgr a day, right ?

How many times a day do you dose?

I'm just going to give you an example.

Let's say you dose twice a day. So 2 mgr morning and 2 mgr evening,

You now take your 2 mgr in pill form in the morning and then 1 mgr in pill form in the evening PLUS 1 mgr in liquid.

You can make your liquid by dissolving 1 mgr tablet in 1 ml vodka and then add 99 ml water.

You now have 100 ml a liquid.

You drink the whole thing. And you have taken four mgr total that day.

You do the same hung next day, only now you drink 95 ml.

( again, this is just an example, the math is different for everyone , depending on their liquid ratio and cutting speed).

The next day you'd take the same pill amount again but drink 90 ml.

See?

Can you follow this?

You can go as slow or as fast as you like and you can hold where you feel you need a break.

Once you e reduced that 100 ml to zero after a while, you do the same int he morning.

Take 1 mgr at night, 1 mgr and 100 ml ( 1mgr ) int he morning,

Same thing.

You WILL be okay again. I know it's so hard and that it seems it'll never end but it will.

You're doing great. Even if you don't feel like it.

So, if you could let us know how many times a day you dose , and how fast you would want to cut ( for example 0.5 mgr every three weeks), then someone can help you do the math and you'll be good to go.

You can always slow down or speed up as you go and adjust according to how you feel after a while.

There's no rush. IMO, the more conservative the better, at the start.

Tot later  ;)

Hey Valium folk.. Is Valium more sedating than Xanax?    Xanax is knocking my a$$ out at .5 and .25 isn't really enough.      is Valium more subtle?

It is sedating, but it depends on how much you take at once. 2.5mg (equivalent to .25-.5 Xanax) sometimes had a subtle effect, other times I didn't feel it at all. Taking 10mg at once hit me hard the first time I took it, still makes me sleepy but not nearly as strong now. I take it at bedtime to help fall asleep. I'm tired during the day, but not necessarily sleepy. The first two weeks on it (or after increasing the dose) are the most sedating, then your body adjusts. The sedation effect kicks in soon after you take the valium and passes after about eight hours, although the valium itself stays in your body much longer.

I'm glad I crossed. I was very sensitive to Xanax cuts but Valium is easier on me. I don't have the nausea and appetite problems mentioned by Hope76 either.

Hope for the nausea try some ginger tea. It really works. If it is stomach cramps peppermint tea works better.  Also perhaps you would do better doing a micro taper of the Valium it is so much easier on you then the cut and hold. Diaz -pam (sp?) I know has it in her signature how to do it with the liquid. If you want to do it using your pills and a scale I know many here and on the micro taper board will help you. For me cut and hold was shock and awe so to speak and the micro taper while not s/x free is more like going down a ramp and you have much more control over your cuts since you can cut as fast as you want, hold when you need to, slow or speed up your pace all depending on how you feel.  If you can handle the liquid that IMHO is the easiest and  most accurate way to go.  Nice meeting you at the K Klub.

KGirl10 I keep meaning to pick up some ginger tea at the store!  I started making smaller cuts and that has helped with the nausea too.  It's not nearly so bad as after my first 1 mg cut.  I'm going to try to do 0.5 mg cuts every 14 days as long as it's tolerable and go to micro taper if needed.  I'm not ruling it out as an option.  I suppose I'm just feeling overwhelmed by the thought of it and a bit lazy too lol.  Nice to meet you at the K Klub too!

Hey Valium folk.. Is Valium more sedating than Xanax?    Xanax is knocking my a$$ out at .5 and .25 isn't really enough.      is Valium more subtle?

I found Valium to be be way more sedating than Xanax in the beginning.  But I never experienced a sedating effect from Xanax at all.  I did develop a tolerance for the sedating effect of Valium a few weeks after reaching my max dose of V while doing my crossover from X to V.  I don't even notice a sedating effect anymore.  Just withdrawal symptoms from my taper  :sick:  In some ways Valium has been better for me as I was getting horrific interdose withdrawals (I was taking Xanax 4 times a day and could not breathe for 2 hours prior to my next dose).  But with my Valium cuts I have experienced nausea and decreased appetite I did not have with X.  And with the long half life it's going to take a lot longer to wean off the V.  I would say if you are not having bad problems with interdose withdrawal then to stick with weaning slowly off the X.

. I am having bad I'd with Xanax....

I found Valium to be be way more sedating than Xanax in the beginning.  But I never experienced a sedating effect from Xanax at all.  I did develop a tolerance for the sedating effect of Valium a few weeks after reaching my max dose of V while doing my crossover from X to V.  I don't even notice a sedating effect anymore.  Just withdrawal symptoms from my taper  :sick:  In some ways Valium has been better for me as I was getting horrific interdose withdrawals (I was taking Xanax 4 times a day and could not breathe for 2 hours prior to my next dose).  But with my Valium cuts I have experienced nausea and decreased appetite I did not have with X.  And with the long half life it's going to take a lot longer to wean off the V.  I would say if you are not having bad problems with interdose withdrawal then to stick with weaning slowly off the X.

If you are having bad interdose withdrawal then Valium is a much better option.  I feel much better from that standpoint now that I'm on V.  You will feel sedated at first while crossing over then your body will get used to it.  And don't be too scared about my nausea.  I decreased my cut amount and that seemed to help.  It was just something I hadn't had with the Xanax so I wanted to mention it.  There are obviously pros and cons to both, you just have to figure out what's best for you.  As for me, my I/D withdrawals were so bad I don't think I could have ever gotten off the Xanax.  At least with Valium I feel I have a much better chance of getting off benzos! 

Hope you can just get some fresh ginger - it is so easy to make - and add some lemon peel ( it helps) and a little bit of sugar. I know sugar is the big no here but it adds some flavor and I don't buy the tea it has too many other things in it for me since I am allergic to everything.  I also know lots of people get the ginger chews made with cane sugar so you can always have it with you. 

Re the micro taper most of us who started with cut and hold will tell you  that looking back we wished we had done the micro taper - it is not hard at all to do and really is easier on the body.  If you are fine on cut and hold then go for it but know that the micro taper is pretty easy to do. 

If you are having bad interdose withdrawal then Valium is a much better option.  I feel much better from that standpoint now that I'm on V.  You will feel sedated at first while crossing over then your body will get used to it.  And don't be too scared about my nausea.  I decreased my cut amount and that seemed to help.  It was just something I hadn't had with the Xanax so I wanted to mention it.  There are obviously pros and cons to both, you just have to figure out what's best for you.  As for me, my I/D withdrawals were so bad I don't think I could have ever gotten off the Xanax.  At least with Valium I feel I have a much better chance of getting off benzos!

Hi folks- looking for help, sorry to butt in.

My signature has my past, a few weeks ago I started having tolerance- IDWD from X. I only took it at night to sleep for over a decade. To hold down these IDWDs I started taking tiny doses of X in the day. I feel nasty today but have had a few decent days doing this, but cant do the equal dosing thing. Went to doc to discuss switching but all I was offered was restoril or K. Since I only needed it for sleep it seemed to me like taking V at night in a slow transition was a logical option but she wouldnt go for V. I didnt take the Ashton info w me. Im a wreck today and I know its time to do something. Any ideas appreciated more than you know....

I have a quick question. I think I am ready to cut again today, but want to clarify what qualifies as a week's worth of stabilization. Is the definition of stabilization a week with ZERO waves or a week with minimal waves? I'm inclined to guess the latter considering I see people who have made the jump 6 months ago and still have occasional waves.

Many Thanks,

Edzo

The problem is Xanax makes me feel terribly depressed for a couple hours, then that switches to

Wired beyond belief.  I worry that Valium will depress me all the time...

Valium does make you feel fatigued, which could make you feel depressed since you don't have a lot of energy. Personally I would rather feel depressed than wired. At least then you could just crash on the couch and veg out.

I have a quick question. I think I am ready to cut again today, but want to clarify what qualifies as a week's worth of stabilization. Is the definition of stabilization a week with ZERO waves or a week with minimal waves? I'm inclined to guess the latter considering I see people who have made the jump 6 months ago and still have occasional waves.

Many Thanks,

Edzo

I've never had a week without ZERO waves during my taper, nor been symptom free altogether.

But when things are tolerable and I could function and do the necessary, that was good enough for me.

Etown used to say 80/20 is a GOOD place to be, meaning feeling 80 percent okay and maybe 20 crap.

So I'd say minimal waves and minimal overall crappiness.

Many Thanks,

Edzo

I've never had a week without ZERO waves during my taper, nor been symptom free altogether.

But when things are tolerable and I could function and do the necessary, that was good enough for me.

Etown used to say 80/20 is a GOOD place to be, meaning feeling 80 percent okay and maybe 20 crap.

Perfect! 80/20 is just where I'm at. I'll give it a go today. I know many of us need to do 10% or less per cut, but I'm going to give 8mg to 7mg of diazepam (12.5%) a shot. If I need to bump up .5mg, I will. Last cut didn't hit me until day 3 of the cut so it could be one heck of a Super Bowl. Lol (not really)

Hi folks- looking for help, sorry to butt in.

My signature has my past, a few weeks ago I started having tolerance- IDWD from X. I only took it at night to sleep for over a decade. To hold down these IDWDs I started taking tiny doses of X in the day. I feel nasty today but have had a few decent days doing this, but cant do the equal dosing thing. Went to doc to discuss switching but all I was offered was restoril or K. Since I only needed it for sleep it seemed to me like taking V at night in a slow transition was a logical option but she wouldnt go for V. I didnt take the Ashton info w me. Im a wreck today and I know its time to do something. Any ideas appreciated more than you know....

If your doctor doesn't want to have you cross over to Valium, maybe look for another doctor?

The whole idea for crossing over is that Valium is longer acting and will take care of your inter dose withdrawal( not actually tolerance withdrawal but interdose withdrawal) and it never helped me with sleep. I was dead tired but didn't make me sleep though.

I think that your tiny doses now just don't do it anymore , right ? :-[

If it were me and the xs are intolerable I'd look for a different doctor. I've done that, and to look for quite some time but it was worth it.

Many Thanks,

Edzo

Perfect! 80/20 is just where I'm at. I'll give it a go today. I know many of us need to do 10% or less per cut, but I'm going to give 8mg to 7mg of diazepam (12.5%) a shot. If I need to bump up .5mg, I will. Last cut didn't hit me until day 3 of the cut so it could be one heck of a Super Bowl. Lol (not really)

I would like to add to that , that up dosing may or may not work, once you've cut. Going back up in dose ( especially " just" 0.5) is no guarantee for feeling better, is all I'm saying...

It could set you off and it's a lot easier to cut a bit smaller than to reverse the wave you're landing in.

I am not sure how often you cut? Every two weeks or so?

If that's the case, I'd just go for 0.5 per week if you really feel you MUSt do this.

I've done the same out of not being patient... And it never paid off.

For most people, the cut is felt somewhere within 3-7 days, depending how you metabolize this stuff.

If there's one thing I learned during the last two years...its that being inpatient and going too quick is not a good idea and will actually take longer , due to having to hold and not being able to cut after going to fast, than just keeping a steady slower pace where you can just keep going.

I know it's rough and I knowwwww it's frustrating...  :-\

Many Thanks,

Edzo

I would like to add to that , that up dosing may or may not work, once you've cut. Going back up in dose ( especially " just" 0.5) is no guarantee for feeling better, is all I'm saying...

It could set you off and it's a lot easier to cut a bit smaller than to reverse the wave you're landing in.

If that's the case, I'd just go for 0.5 per week if you really feel you MUSt do this.

For most people, the cut is felt somewhere within 3-7 days, depending how you metabolize this stuff.

If there's one thing I learned during the last two years...its that being inpatient and going too quick is not a good idea and will actually take longer , due to having to hold and not being able to cut after going to fast, than just keeping a steady slower pace where you can just keep going.

I've been cutting from 15mg of diazepam 1mg every 2 weeks. Last cut was really difficult 3 days in and lasted 36 hours. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm ready to cut again. Depending on how it hits me, I may change over to a daily taper. But I want to see if I can get away with one more cut. I've read stories on here about people who have felt worse (much worse) after a cut and I've read stories on here about people who actually felt better after some cuts. Regardless, I'm giving it a shot. I'll be happy if I can get under 50% of my original dosage (from 15 to 7 mgs) before I need to move into a daily taper situation. But I'm down for whatever works for whoever as we all have the same goal of 0 benzos. Thank you very much for your answers and support!

Many Thanks,

Edzo

I've been cutting from 15mg of diazepam 1mg every 2 weeks. Last cut was really difficult 3 days in and lasted 36 hours. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm ready to cut again. Depending on how it hits me, I may change over to a daily taper. But I want to see if I can get away with one more cut. I've read stories on here about people who have felt worse (much worse) after a cut and I've read stories on here about people who actually felt better after some cuts. Regardless, I'm giving it a shot. I'll be happy if I can get under 50% of my original dosage (from 15 to 7 mgs) before I need to move into a daily taper situation. But I'm down for whatever works for whoever as we all have the same goal of 0 benzos. Thank you very much for your answers and support!

Wow, you've been doing really well..!

Yes, I've had a few cuts too where I felt better after holding.

The inpredictability of it all drove me nuts, still does.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you .  :thumbsup:

Many Thanks,

Edzo

Thank you! I just feel like I'd be giving into fear if I don't keep doing what has been working so far. If I can keep going on, I will. If I can't and need to re-calibrate, then there is no shame in that game either.

Many Thanks,

Edzo

Thank you! I just feel like I'd be giving into fear if I don't keep doing what has been working so far. If I can keep going on, I will. If I can't and need to re-calibrate, then there is no shame in that game either.

Absolutely. If this is what you can tolerate then that's fantastic. No need to prolong it if not needed.

Don't fix what's not broken, right ?

There is totally no shame in re calibrating when needed/ IF needed.  I think we all had to figure out how and what and what we could take.

The times I've overdone it are countless. I've adjusted accordingly as I went.

Other times I might have been able to go quicker but I didn't dare.  ::)

:thumbsup:

I would like to start tapering

I am waiting for my p doc to give me the ok

Stable on 5mg of Valium and the plan is reducing .5 per 30 days.

How much would this be per day in reduction?

I am still very confused about the liquid taper.

Cvs pharmacy says they have 5ml-5mg and I also found a compounding pharmacy

What else do I need? What kind of syringe? So confused. Thank you

Okay, so to reduce 0.5mg every 30 days means you will be cutting 1mg over 60 days. So to work out how much of a daily cut that will be you divide 1mg by the number of days….

1mg ÷ 60 days = 0.016mg per day

It’s possible you might be able to increase that a bit, but see how you go on that daily cut for a while and then increase it if you feel you can.

I assume you mean CVS has the 5ml:5mg (which is the same as 1ml:1mg) liquid valium. If your doctor has already agreed to prescribe that for you that’s great. That’s exactly what you need. You don’t need a compounding pharmacy at all.

Now you need to decide whether you want to use a 10ml or 100ml solution to reduce with. My preference is the 100ml solution, especially when you’re first starting out, because it makes measuring your dose so much easier.

What you will need is a 1ml syringe to measure out 1ml of the LV (liquid valium) and a 10ml syringe to measure your dose. You will also need a couple of smallish glass jars to keep your “batch” in.

So to make a 100ml solution, you measure out 1ml of LV and add it to 99ml of plain water. This will make a total of 100ml.

Now all you have to do is work out how much you want to reduce each day. You’ve already decided on a 0.016mg daily reduction, so to work out how much that is equivalent to in mls, just multiply it by 100.

0.016mg x 100 = 1.6ml

So to dose, take 4mg of your dose as dry tablets and the other 1mg is now a 100ml liquid valium solution, so from that solution you will reduce 1.6ml per day.

Day 1 – Drink the 100ml solution (plus your 4mg of dry tablets)

Day 2 – Make a new solution and drink 98.4ml (you can either discard the rest or use it to make up part of your next day’s dose)

Day 3 – Make a new solution and drink 96.8ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 4 – Make a new solution and drink 95.2ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 5 – Make a new solution and drink 93.6ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 6 – Make a new solution and drink 92ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

etc …….. until you reach zero. Then you would start the process again, but reduce the amount of tablets you are taking by 1mg, because you have now reduced your dose by 1mg.

You can read the full details of the method in the first link in my signature

Hi Jackson.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it soon enough, it may seem complicated right now, but it's not.

People can help you here .

CVs pharmacy has a liquid Valium called Roxane. It's easy peasy to use, you dilute a bit of it with water and you make up a 100 ml solution each day and drink a little less each day.

A compounding pharmacy can make you a customized liquid. Usually people who do not tolerate the Roxane ( Pharma grade ) liquid, have a liquid made by the compound pharmacy. I did.

It was Valium in almond oil. This liquid doesn't need to be diluted. You take as it comes.

It's not covered by insurance and costs about 65-80 dollars for 60 ml.

If your doc scripts you quid Valium , you will not be needing compound pharmacy at all.

The third method would be making your own ( titration ) by dissolving 1 mgr Valium in 1ml vodka and then add 99 ml of water and the method is basically the same as what you'll do with Roxane liquid.

You replace only a small part of your dose with liquid. The rest you take in your regular tablet form. And you reduce from the liquid daily. This allows for very small cuts so you can start a micro taper. Which is often mistaken for a slower taper. And it's not.

So, if you'd take 2 mgr in tablet form now, for example, you will start taking 1.5 mgr in tablets and then replace the 0.5 mgr with liquid and taper with that .

Or, you'd take 1 mgr in tablets and make up a liquid with the other 1 mgr.

You will need a 10 ml, 3 ml and 1 ml syringe ( my compound pharmacist gave them to me with my liquid but you can order for a few dollars on Amazon or ask your oahramacy to give or sell you some).

For compound liquid you will need nothing else than syringes.

For liquid Valium ( Roxane) and also for titrating ,  you'll need syringes and some glass jars .

That's it. Nothing fancy needed.

If you use the vodka method or the Roxane liquid, you will make up a 100 ml liquid.

If you reduce that by 1.5 ml a day ( miliLITER) it would take 66 days to reduce 1 mgr, which would be 33 days for the 0.5 mgr reduction you requested.

I'm explaining for 1 mgr /66 days , because  for this method you use a 1 mgr tablet.

( I'm sure there is other wuss to calculate for only 0.5 mgr too but tablets do not come in 0.5 mgr so this is the way it's described in the method. But you can adjust for 2 mgr pills as well or 0.5 mgr if you use the Pharma grade. People can help you with that but IMO this is the most simple way ).

You would simply take your 100 ml liquid an drink that the first day.

The second day you take 98.5 ml (100ml minutes 1.5 ml)

The third day you drink 97 ml ( 100ml minus 3 ml)

The fourth day you drink 95.5 ml ( 100 ml minus 4 ml)

And so on.

You take 1.5 ml less than the previous day each time. All the way till the 100 ml is gone after 66 day. Then you'll have reduced 100 ml= 1 mgr.

Does this make sense a bit ?

Please don't freak out. It will be ok.

You can find the complete method in Diaz-Pam's signature!

Haha, Diaz-Pam, we posted at the same time.

Jackson... I think Diaz just calculated the 0.5 per 30 days for you.

She used this method so I'd go with that.

What I wrote is the same thing but maybe how she described it will be easier to follow.

Mine was for 66 days as I went with the 1 mgr pill for 100 ml way.

I'm sorry if I complicated it. It comes down to the same thing in explaining how it works.

If you can't follow what I wrote ( which I can imagine when you just start out) I would just go by Diaz's post, ok?

Sorry about that.

Thank you so much. I am going to print this out and look it over w doc and husband. Seriously my brain is fried. I am not a stupid person except right now lol

What did u feel w Roxane? How do u know it didn't agree w u. For some reason I worry liquid will be less potent than pills? Irrational.

Just out of acute and terrified to feel that again.

I hope I can do this and come out the other side after being kindled etc... Pls tell me I can :(

Thanks

Haha, Diaz-Pam, we posted at the same time.

Jackson... I think Diaz just calculated the 0.5 per 30 days for you.

She used this method so I'd go with that.

What I wrote is the same thing but maybe how she described it will be easier to follow.

Mine was for 66 days as I went with the 1 mgr pill for 100 ml way.

I'm sorry if I complicated it. It comes down to the same thing in explaining how it works.

If you can't follow what I wrote ( which I can imagine when you just start out) I would just go by Diaz's post, ok?

Sorry about that.

HA HA - different route - same destination. :thumbsup: