Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Grape juice,

Thanks fir that,...is there anyone on lower doses who made the switch from two to one dose per day??

I will sit back and see what responses this gets.

Hope everyone is feeling OK heading into weekend.

:smitten:

ATU

Hi ATU,

I switched my mom from twice daily to once per night around 1mg and it wasn't a problem because it is such a higher dose at once that you get thru easier.

At least, that was my observation with my mom and she did okay.

I'm now going down in 2 ml increments. I have been doing pretty well (with symptoms a hassle here and there but I am still able to function). I was going down 1.5 ml a day until a few days ago. I decided to kick it up by reducing 2 ml a day. I'm at 1.8 mg now. Does this reduction seem too rapid? I'm having a bit more symptoms since starting the quicker taper. I just want to get this over.

I can handle the symptoms so far. I just want to make sure that I don't do something stupid that will make things worse. By going down 2ml a day, I should be done tapering about March 7.

I'm now going down in 2 ml increments. I have been doing pretty well (with symptoms a hassle here and there but I am still able to function). I was going down 1.5 ml a day until a few days ago. I decided to kick it up by reducing 2 ml a day. I'm at 1.8 mg now. Does this reduction seem too rapid? I'm having a bit more symptoms since starting the quicker taper. I just want to get this over.

I can handle the symptoms so far. I just want to make sure that I don't do something stupid that will make things worse. By going down 2ml a day, I should be done tapering about March 7.

When I was on your dose 2ml would have been too much of a daily cut for me, but everyone handles the cuts differently. Just don't be in a rush to get off just so you can say you are off. Make sure you are handling it okay, because you still have a lot of healing to go afterwards. Take your time. Valium has a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it, especially on the really low doses.

Thank you, Diaz-Pam. I really appreciate all your support and time on this site.

I will see how things go and may hold at each drop a couple of days before on to the next drop. Will see!

Well, after a third night of racing thoughts and feeling spaced out, it looks like I need to slow 'er down. Darn! I was hoping that the Ashton Manual's recommendation to get off quick in the last stretch (from 2 mg down) would work for me. I tried a Benadryl last night and it didn't make much difference with being able to sleep.

I am now going to try to go off in 1.5 ml increments from 1.8 now. Does that seem right, or what is recommended when you're at this low dose?

Well, after a third night of racing thoughts and feeling spaced out, it looks like I need to slow 'er down. Darn! I was hoping that the Ashton Manual's recommendation to get off quick in the last stretch (from 2 mg down) would work for me. I tried a Benadryl last night and it didn't make much difference with being able to sleep.

I am now going to try to go off in 1.5 ml increments from 1.8 now. Does that seem right, or what is recommended when you're at this low dose?

Grace2000,

I don't get much help from Benadryl alone either but when I take a Tylenol pm which is Tylenol combined with Benadryl it works better.

The most effective I must say is the Unisom,... But it has to be the one with Doxylamine Succinate in it. I find half of one of those helps a lot with sleep.

I'm also struggling at 1.85 mg. right now. These lower numbers can be a bugger!

Best of success to you.  :thumbsup:

ATU

I have tried the Unisom before, too, and that does seem help. I may give that a try tonight. I also agree about splitting those Unisoms.

Grace2000,

I don't get much help from Benadryl alone either but when I take a Tylenol pm which is Tylenol combined with Benadryl it works better.

The most effective I must say is the Unisom,... But it has to be the one with Doxylamine Succinate in it. I find half of one of those helps a lot with sleep.

I'm also struggling at 1.85 mg. right now. These lower number can be a bigger!

Best of success to you.  :thumbsup:

ATU

Yep, the lower the V dose the harder!! I am so excited for you though, you are way down on your V taper!! Hang in there and keep on persevering - carefully. I know you can do this! One day too I will be at the number, can't wait - but will continue at this snails pace as it is what my brain will allow.  :thumbsup:

laser,

Some people have said once they got down to a low dose it actually got easier! I was hoping that I would follow that possibility but alas, it seems I am destined to fight and suffer all the way down.

But, you never know, right! I'm also going at a snails pace and feeling each cut horribly.

Oh well, it's only time and I know what happened last time I went faster so it's the slow boat to freedom for me too.

ATU

Solaceandpeace, as a totally trivial side note I think your signature with the thumbs up smiley faces as you make progress is so creative and also encouraging. Cool idea!

And for the record, what you were saying about "if a doc isnt willing to prescribe valium then you're screwed" and you'd go find another doc who is taper-friendly, that's exactly what happened to me! One said "no i wont give you valium to get off ativan because valium is addictive" (hilarious but frustrating irony right?) and second doctor agreed to give me valium as long as it was an industrial sized bottle so he only had to see me every three months and he refused to specify a taper plan and just wrote "take as needed" so thats when I found the benzo clinic luckily, and they had a much more balanced view even though they only do dry cuts and I'm secretly doing micro tapering.

On that note, well done Tex for your awesome breakthrough with feeling better! And well done Mountain Yogi and all the others on low doses for getting closer to your freedom!

And... sorry this is kind if jumbled, my brain is like a marshmallow...one other person, now I can't remember who said it, oh it may have been panicnomore, said that they threw out their leftover pills so that they wouldn't be tempted to take them when things were really really yuck... I may have to do that too because even though I've somehow stayed away from updosing so far I know I've been really tempted during the really dark horrible times and that I'm at risk of reaching for those pills just because they are there. That scares me. Everything scares me right now, even TV or having visitors or switching off my light at night.

Do any other women benzo buddies find that side effects get worse at a certain time of the month or is that just me?

If it's any help I've just checked my journal and it seems I was cutting 1.2ml when I was around your dose. That's only a guide though.

Doxylamine is what always worked best for me too (usually just a quarter to a half tablet was enough). I also used to alternate it with an amitriptyline AD which was also very sedating at a low dose.

Tapering never got any easier for me the lower I went. Basically the lower I went the slower I went until finally in the last mg I was only cutting about 0.005mg (0.5ml) per day. It took ages, but I'm glad I didn't rush it.

For those of you that cut and hold your Valium, what day do you begin to notice symptoms, what day do they peak, and when do they begin to improve? On average how long do you hold your cuts? Also for those that do twice a day dosing, what time of day do you take them, do you do them exactly 12 hrs apart?

landsakes yes!!! hormones can wreak havoc for many while on and tapering benzo's.  However, for those on HRT they can also help stabilize and enable some to feel better.  I feel your pain, bless you  ;)

For those of you that cut and hold your Valium, what day do you begin to notice symptoms, what day do they peak, and when do they begin to improve? On average how long do you hold your cuts? Also for those that do twice a day dosing, what time of day do you take them, do you do them exactly 12 hrs apart?

Hope -- Since I'm making daily cuts, I can feel the effects within a day. When I would cut/hold, it would take a couple of days to feel the effects. What's amazing to me is how I can function so much better during the day when I move forward and take my mind off of the side effects. I had bad side effects last night but once I got up and moving around I felt better. I have had ringing in my left ear for quite awhile and haven't slept more than a few hours a night in months. But I'm amazed at how I'm still able to carry on if I push through. I think knowing that it's the withdrawal symptoms and not "me" is helping me to cope. I also have picked up an interest in tea (loose-leaf, low caffeine kinds and making my own blends); finding a new hobby and enjoying a low-stress activity really helps. If I get to a point (like a did last night) where things feel more severe, I hang out at that dose for an extra day. Other times I have continued to cut despite symptoms and then I have been fine the next day. When I know I've really gone down too much is when I have overwhelming "fear" thoughts and have irritability that almost feels uncontrollable. For everyone's sake, I hold a day or so.

Pam, How does one cut by 1.2 ml? A gradulated cylinder only measures by 1 ml increments. I've been gone so long I forgot how to attach quotes to my posts. Help anyone?

Pam, How does one cut by 1.2 ml? A gradulated cylinder only measures by 1 ml increments. I've been gone so long I forgot how to attach quotes to my posts. Help anyone?

...but a 10 ml syringe measures by .1 (or .2) ml, and a 1ml syringe measure by .01 (or .02) ml.  You need a 1ml and a 10ml oral syringe for a daily liquid taper.

I've been cutting 1mg every two weeks. It usually hits me hard the second day with very disrupted sleep, then I sleep very hard the following night. After that, symptoms fluctuate, mostly sleep disturbances, aggravating of my pre-existing tinnitus. My neck, jaw and back muscles are pretty much always tense. I'm not symptoms free at the end of two weeks, but since I don't feel very sick I just go ahead and cut. I may slow down when I get to the lower dose, but for now I'm staying with 1mg two week cut and hold for as long as my body can handle it.

Hope I take Teva brand but I know when I got a different generic for my Klonopin I went into withdrawal. Of course I did not realize this at the time and thought I was having an allergic reaction to the different generic.  So what I would say is have your friend call the pharmacist and say what I did to mine- I am allergic to this generic and need to have a different one - can you order it for me and I will bring back all my pills since I can't take this brand.  I would  have your friend call the doctor to let the doctor know as well.  In my case the pharmacy took it back and I got my usual generic since I returned the unused pills. I also believe my doctor called the pharmacist for me as well.

Kgirl10 do you know the name of the generic that didn't work for you. My friend is asking?

The one I had a real problem with was Mylan........

Hope I take Teva brand but I know when I got a different generic for my Klonopin I went into withdrawal. Of course I did not realize this at the time and thought I was having an allergic reaction to the different generic.  So what I would say is have your friend call the pharmacist and say what I did to mine- I am allergic to this generic and need to have a different one - can you order it for me and I will bring back all my pills since I can't take this brand.  I would  have your friend call the doctor to let the doctor know as well.  In my case the pharmacy took it back and I got my usual generic since I returned the unused pills. I also believe my doctor called the pharmacist for me as well.

Kgirl10 do you know the name of the generic that didn't work for you. My friend is asking?

The one I had a real problem with was Mylan........

My friend was on Mylan initially and is already in severe tolerance withdrawal.  He read so many bad reviews on the Mylan that he switched to Actavis brand in hopes of feeling better, which is the one I take and why he asked me about it in the first place.  Unfortunately the switch did not work out well for him and he had to go back to Mylan, although I would have thought Actavis would have been stronger based on all the reviews I've read.  The general consensus I have gotten from the boards is to keep with the same generic as there can be variability in dose content between generics.  I plan to continue on my Actavis since it seems to be working out OK for me.  Don't get me wrong, I feel like crap with this taper, but I'm too afraid to change anything lol.  Every time I go to the pharmacy I obsessively check to make sure they continue to give me the same generic! If they ever try to change it up on me I will throw a fit!!!!

Hi kgirl:

I did taper successfully off K by doing C/H until I got to .625 mg, from 6.5 mg. Then I began a MT. I have been advised by many that a MT at my dose is ill advised and to do C/H until I get to about 15 mg. Then do vodka titration. I don't want to be tapering for the next 10 years. Even my pdoc agrees with this, and my life is in his very capable hands. But I must admit, when I first saw him, titration and MT were news to him.

Bets

There isn't any right or wrong. It just depends on what you prefer to do. There is absolutely no reason why you can't do a daily taper at your dose. It's just that it may not be completely necessary at your dose. If I was you I would be trying a dry cut of say 0.5mg initially just to see what happens. If it turns out that's too much for you to handle, then a daily taper would be the way to go.

However, you might find you can cut that amount quite often, so you've really got the best of both worlds - a relatively smooth gradual taper, but without having to play around with the liquid. A 0.5mg cut from 70mg is less than a 1% cut (0.7% in fact), so chances are you will handle it quite well.

Thanks so much DP, builder, kgirl and Phoebe.

Q: DP: If I cut .5 mg initially how long should I wait before the next cut?

Bets

Solaceandpeace, as a totally trivial side note I think your signature with the thumbs up smiley faces as you make progress is so creative and also encouraging. Cool idea!

And for the record, what you were saying about "if a doc isnt willing to prescribe valium then you're screwed" and you'd go find another doc who is taper-friendly, that's exactly what happened to me! One said "no i wont give you valium to get off ativan because valium is addictive" (hilarious but frustrating irony right?) and second doctor agreed to give me valium as long as it was an industrial sized bottle so he only had to see me every three months and he refused to specify a taper plan and just wrote "take as needed" so thats when I found the benzo clinic luckily, and they had a much more balanced view even though they only do dry cuts and I'm secretly doing micro tapering.

On that note, well done Tex for your awesome breakthrough with feeling better! And well done Mountain Yogi and all the others on low doses for getting closer to your freedom!

And... sorry this is kind if jumbled, my brain is like a marshmallow...one other person, now I can't remember who said it, oh it may have been panicnomore, said that they threw out their leftover pills so that they wouldn't be tempted to take them when things were really really yuck... I may have to do that too because even though I've somehow stayed away from updosing so far I know I've been really tempted during the really dark horrible times and that I'm at risk of reaching for those pills just because they are there. That scares me. Everything scares me right now, even TV or having visitors or switching off my light at night.

Do any other women benzo buddies find that side effects get worse at a certain time of the month or is that just me?

Aww, thank you! I didn't even think anyone was paying attention or noticing that in my signature! :smitten:

I'm still doing well, just a little tension in my shoulders, a touch of temple pain maybe a couple of times per day... and I think that's it. The valium really has covered almost all WD symptoms so far, so I guess my doc wasn't totally crazy. Uninformed and impatient though, absolutely.

Time for another cut today and I'm down to just the 1/4 of a pill once a day at this point. Scary stuff! I hope all hell doesn't break loose. Especially because I lost a major client and am starting with a new one next week, in a completely different area of work that I've never done before. Well, I'm up for the challenge. As long as vertigo isn't one of my WD symptoms, I feel like I can be strong and get through it.

Next cut is the final jump, and then I have to consider a valium taper plan. And possibly a new doc. Yikes. :o

[5d...]

Hey Hope

When I was cutting and holding, by the third day there was a distinct change in my sleep, personality, racing  thoughts, etc.  I would have to plan it so that if I had something important to do, it would not overlap.  I could be in bed for 2 days feeling terrible then it would lift. At that time I did not know about the benedryl or unisom for sleep so that may make a difference.  I still wonder what would be better for me: to cut and hold and have 3 awful days and nights, or feeling blah and sometimes okay, most of the time, which is what I feel these days?  If I push myself with too much activity, I just have to stop and reassess. This is a natural space to hold with the MT and allow the brain and body to catch up.  I also find this is all very psychological.  When I can keep my spirits up and ignore the beast that these chemicals conjure up in my psyche, I can push through the anxiety.  It feels a bit like walking through 4 feet of water all the time.  As for the time between cuts, I stuck to the Ashton recommended minimum of 7 days, however, that is difficult to maintain if you are working.  I would try to get to one dose a day at bedtime.

--trying to be positive yet realistic about what lies ahead.

I feel as if this process has evolved my soul in a purposeful way.  For what reason and how it plays it is unclear.  I know I am a stronger woman.  This chemical has created an adversity within my being that can allow me to go to the darkest depths.  My evolution and growth lies in the choices and ways that I navigate those dark and murky waters.  I shall prevail and I hope you and all of our buddies will too.

I hope this helps.

[5d...]

I'm below 3mg of Valium finally! I currently dose twice a day. Was wondering if I should switch to once a day dosing. I think I remember some people doing that once they got lower in dose. What are other people doing? Thanks!

Hey mm,

Since valium has such a long half life, I would consider doing one dose a day. It was a psychological milestone to get to one dose a day.

just my 2 cents

hope it helps

Been wondering the same thing, thx! Also - I know this is a crazy question and just wondering... Prior to tapering, I had very little appetite - lost 35lbs within the first year of being on ativan. C/O to V maintained the weight loss.  Though is seems that most have a loss of appetite as they are tapering V, mine is all over the place. I swing from low/no appetite, to huge appetite - even after I have just eaten, like my brain is not registering correctly.  Just wondered if any others are dealing with increased appetite or lack of brain recognition that stomach is full?

Hey Hope

When I was cutting and holding, by the third day there was a distinct change in my sleep, personality, racing  thoughts, etc.  I would have to plan it so that if I had something important to do, it would not overlap.  I could be in bed for 2 days feeling terrible then it would lift. At that time I did not know about the benedryl or unisom for sleep so that may make a difference.  I still wonder what would be better for me: to cut and hold and have 3 awful days and nights, or feeling blah and sometimes okay, most of the time, which is what I feel these days?  If I push myself with too much activity, I just have to stop and reassess. This is a natural space to hold with the MT and allow the brain and body to catch up.  I also find this is all very psychological.  When I can keep my spirits up and ignore the beast that these chemicals conjure up in my psyche, I can push through the anxiety.  It feels a bit like walking through 4 feet of water all the time.  As for the time between cuts, I stuck to the Ashton recommended minimum of 7 days, however, that is difficult to maintain if you are working.  I would try to get to one dose a day at bedtime.

--trying to be positive yet realistic about what lies ahead.

I feel as if this process has evolved my soul in a purposeful way.  For what reason and how it plays it is unclear.  I know I am a stronger woman.  This chemical has created an adversity within my being that can allow me to go to the darkest depths.  My evolution and growth lies in the choices and ways that I navigate those dark and murky waters.  I shall prevail and I hope you and all of our buddies will too.

I hope this helps.

Mountain yogi,

How did you make the transition from 3 times a day to once a day?  Did you move some doses over gradually or did you do it all at once?  And did you hold for a little bit to see how it would effect you?  I'm doing three times daily currently and I think psychologically twice daily is the best I could do right now.  Even at three times a day I feel my heart pounding and anxiety level/chest tightness rising about 2 hrs prior to my next V dose (and this is not all psychological).  Maybe when I'm lower like less than 3 mg I'll go to once a day, but for now I'm pondering how to even get to twice a day.