Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

I have tinnitus, mostly in my left ear. It's frustrating because I used to meditate a lot and now when I try all I can hear is the tinnitus so it makes it much more difficult to concentrate on my breathing. I do have moments where it will stop in my left ear and switch to my right ear as if dials are being turned up and down.

read somewhere that switching ear to ear is a good sign for resolving. its almost 7 years later. how are you?

Is there anyone went c/t and healed from Tinnitus?

theres plenty of people who recovered from t. i would say majority. but those people move on with life and dont come here. one day we will too. how are you today?

I have tinnitus, mostly in my left ear. It's frustrating because I used to meditate a lot and now when I try all I can hear is the tinnitus so it makes it much more difficult to concentrate on my breathing. I do have moments where it will stop in my left ear and switch to my right ear as if dials are being turned up and down.

read somewhere that switching ear to ear is a good sign for resolving. its almost 7 years later. how are you?

hey Dre

do you remember anything else about where this came from? maybe some search terms i could try googling it with?

i have it always on the left, however the other day it awitched to rt side fror a few seconds louder and higher pitched, then switched back to just the "normal" level and pitchi hear on the left and continues. i hope your memory of that quote was accurate for my sake! gives me a spark of hope  :)

hey Dre

do you remember anything else about where this came from? maybe some search terms i could try googling it with?

i have it always on the left, however the other day it awitched to rt side fror a few seconds louder and higher pitched, then switched back to just the "normal" level and pitchi hear on the left and continues. i hope your memory of that quote was accurate for my sake! gives me a spark of hope  :)

i think i saw it here...

so no let up after 7 years? i need to prepare myself.. did you habituate? are you able to live a somewhat normal life?

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds simple but it really works given enough time.  Tinnitus is no different than your favorite song that you crank up to full blast loudness on the radio. Its just a sound.

Try loving it, give it two months but never ever let your brain think that you hate it ever!!!!!!!!!  Your brain is always listening so do not add fuel to the fire. 

I am clearly in the wrong thread.

Nobody suffering with a truly severe case (or who has suffered with in the past and isn't drugged to the gills) would ever write some hippy bullshit like this.

Understandable.  It does get better in time.  The first thing that happens is you will start getting good days and bad days.

After that the good days get more frequent.  Still time seems to drag on.

Maskers really helped me BIG TIME! I was plugged into my Iphone or ipod 24/7 for years and if you find the right white noise or jet noise frequency the tinnitus is pretty much neutered on the spot.

I reinstated a few times at lower levels since I went too fast TWICE.  What I learned about reinstates is they take about 20 or 30 days to actually kick in for us "T" people.  I always shake my head when people take one pill and freakout when they do not get results ASAP. 

The third time tapering I REFUSED to cut unless my tinnitus was at a livable level.

Sometimes I held for a month or two, you can't force healing by speed-cutting, it backfires every time.

Jumping does not heal.  Jumping is for people who already are 99% healed.  I wrote my own rule book after 7 years of this crap.

I learned when reinstating and or tapering that the "Cha-Cha" method is sometimes needed  :D

"Cha-Cha"Take 1 step back and two steps forward  

I have only 1 c/t under my belt. If i take 0.5 of K now, it kills my T. You think I'm a good candidate for reinstatement and slow taper?  I've been off for 3 months now with only t remaining. Thx

I'm at about 2 years and 8 months off of klonopin and although I still have tinnitus 24/7 ranging from very soft to shrieking loud over the last year it has stopped bothering me and I do most anything I want without problems.

I don't think this is habituation as I can still hear it, I do still wish and hope for it to finally go away some day but it is not the disability that it once was.

I do sometimes find that hearing it reminds me of how awful my benzo journey was and how much time it stole from me though.

2trusting

Hi everybody I'm 18 months off and toxic sleep and tinnitus are still lurking, the rest is gone for good! I have a feeling, correct me if I'm wrong that what we feel is not a normal type of tinnitus, for me it's more like a brain movement, a wire connection firing, I used to have tinnitus when I was 18 years old for some months and it's different, who feels the same? take care people, I've read everywhere that tinnitus is the last symptom to leave us, if ever!

Does anyone else have their own voice sound like they are shouting g down a distorted megaphone into the centre of their head.

So anyone else get a sort of hallucinatory terror of certain sounds where sup dis get distorted and change pitch and cause visceral terror. This gets worse when I take any medication even my laxitive.

Argentina.... you are right.  Benzo induced "T" is not like noise induced "T".  I have some low frequency 'T" in my right ear from loud noise prior to benzos. I got a "high frequency" "T" while I was tapering. Its coming from the "center" of my head.... not left or right.... and from what I understand its from benzo damage to the "audio cortex" in our brain due to GBBA downregulation.

Ironically, benzos are given to people to reduce tinnitus..... but like all the other reasons that benzos

are prescribed, those same symptoms come back in spades when you try to get off benzos.

My "T" waxes and wains and doesn't bother me too much during the day..... but trying to go to sleep is a different story.

Below is a link to a masking sound that works for me for high pitched T which you can download and save if you find it useful. I find its not as obtrusive as white or pink noise and seems to do a good job masking high pitched T..... even at a low volume.

http://dtfsdf.oco.net/Crickets_4.mp3

So I hit the sack with earbuds and the sound of crickets on an mp3 player.

Seems to help me... maybe it will help some else.  I sure hope it goes away.

... and 50Shades....as for reinstating and doing a slow taper to get rid of "T" once the damage

has been done..... I've never seen anyone report any success with doing that.  It may give you some relief while you are back on benzos (I've done that).... but.... as you taper off, the "T" will most likely come back. :( :(

Some evil genius from another dimension invented this shit. This tinnitus sounds very electric... Whatever's left of my intuition tells me that the t from benzos is like a seizure that never happened. Like a ruined orgasm... Electroconvulsive therapy i say will reset our neurons and our t back to normal

How does one invent and market a drug that precisely hits our terror points... You couldn't make this shit up...

From watching YouTube and here, seems like 1 in 2 people recover from t.. i wish you all the same. Id give an arm to hear silence again

Some evil genius from another dimension invented this shit. This tinnitus sounds very electric... Whatever's left of my intuition tells me that the t from benzos is like a seizure that never happened. Like a ruined orgasm... Electroconvulsive therapy i say will reset our neurons and our t back to normal

How does one invent and market a drug that precisely hits our terror points... You couldn't make this shit up...

From watching YouTube and here, seems like 1 in 2 people recover from t.. i wish you all the same. Id give an arm to hear silence again

A ruined orgasm ay?

A ruined orgasm ay?

lol yah...both are horrible and need to happen. I want ECT!!! lol

Its not just benzos that can damage your hearing (ototoxicity) and/or cause tinnitus.

Below is a link to a very long list ototoxic medications :

Ototoxicity: The Hidden Menace

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138949/

i don't know totb.. but i didn't have t before this shit and it came on a month after my last dose

I read where buddies experience "new sxs" , month.... years .... after their last benzo. (Including "T")

It  "could" go away in time (Ashton says its one of the last symptoms to resolve).... but there are no

guarantees.  I've got it too..... and its one of my worst sxs.  You could re-instate & "kindle" ...not a good prospect either.  >:( >:(

I read where buddies experience "new sxs" , month.... years .... after their last benzo. (Including "T")

It  "could" go away in time (Ashton says its one of the last symptoms to resolve).... but there are no

guarantees.  I've got it too..... and its one of my worst sxs.  You could re-instate & "kindle" ...not a good prospect either.  >:( >:(

T sucks. but wanting to crawl out of your own skin at the height of wd is worse. thanks @topofthebottom

Question for those who had t before benzos: is it the same type of sounds?

Could you tell a benzo withdrawal induced tinnitus from one caused by acoustic damage?

Thz

From what I have read, most benzo damage to hearing comes from downregulated GABBA receptors

in the audio cortex which is in your brain, which tends to be "very high pitched" tone, and also appears to sound like its coming from the "center" of your head.... not left or right.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have been ridiculously sensitive to sound for about a year now. It makes it hard not to become a total recluse because I want to escape all the noise. Have any of you found ways to take the edge of this or deal with it? Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I had extreme sound sensitivity some years back. I saw an audiologist about and she had me listen to white noise at a comfortable level for four hours a day. The key is to expose your ears to all noise frequencies over time so they become less sensitive. Avoiding all noise all the time will actually make you more sensitive. It was also important to listen to the white noise at a comfortable volume, no matter how soft. If you start feeling irritated, turn it down a little until you no longer react. After a month of doing this, there was a measurable improvement for me. It continued to get better slowly and today my sound sensitivity is back to normal.

I have this now, Tom and it's hell.  It's better since I crossed over from K to V but it's still there and it's worse every other day and I don't know why - I can't find a reason.  It was so bad on K tapering that my ears were fluttering/vibrating and I was getting shocking sensations from my ear canal into my teeth.  When it was so bad, I wanted to throw up - I was startling by the smallest unexpected noises and wanting to come out of my skin.  Earplugs are hard b/c of the tinnitus that comes with it and they are painful.  I even had musician plugs made but they go down too deep into the canal and cause nerve issues.  It's one of my most horrid symptoms, especially since I have 7 kiddos in the house and a "loudish" husband.  I try not to wear earplugs much now b/c the audiologist did tell me that I would become more sensitive if I did that but you do what you have to do.  I'm only reducing at .01mg per day in part because of this.  I'm told by some that this, and tinnitus are some of the last symptoms to go but Baylissa also told me that for some, it's one of the first to go. 

Thanks Grapejuice and Momof7babes

I will definitely try the white noise technique. Interesting about avoidance and earplugs making us more sensitive. I've been using both for relief. Thanks for the info.

Well, Tom, you do what you need to do to survive.  You can eventually wean off the earplugs but if you can avoid wearing them all day, you are better off.  Do you have tinnitus too?  Unfortunately, when I had musician earplugs made, the audiologist irritated a nerve in my ear canal (left) and wearing earplugs inside my ears bothers me. I will sometimes stick Peltor ear muffs on.  At one point, even earplugs AND Peltors were not enough to give me relief.  If earplugs will get you through this and they help, then it's the least of your problems. 

Grapejuice,

Was this while you were going through benzo w/d or during tolerance?  I'm not sure anything helps much when going through w/d but maybe I'm wrong.