Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

[29...]
Having a virus definitely makes tinnitus worse.  I had a bad cold that turned into bronchitis and the tinnitus became unbearable.  It did get back to “normal “ when I got over the virus.

Birdman, I hope you get to healing. Hugs to you! Are you only any medications for Covid 19? If so, what did the medications do to your withdrawal symptoms?

Hey everyone - new on this thread.

So I'm in month two after a rapid taper and jumping and the ear sx's are worse this month.  I sometimes have the high pitched hissing, but I get his loud repetitive "whooshing".

Its worse in the mornings and evenings. Notice it more when I'm laying. Its predominantly in one ear more than the other.

This is a horrible symptom.

Just came on to read the "wisdom" of those who have had it before me. Thanks guys!

Trying2BHopeful: Thanks for your response. From reading I see that other people have this symptom worse than I do, but it kinda freaked me out that it got worse this month.  I'm thankful that it isn't consistently there - but it comes on so suddenly and strong!

I " know" it will go. It's just bizarre...

The covid19 stress makes my tinnitus a little worse as well.

Because the nice things in life are mostly gone,  will we soon be able to go to the gym or  bar  ?

My tinnitus is beyond me at the this time, It has got louder and louder till it's intolerable at 4,5 months off valium.  As I am deaf as well, this is making life impossible,

I am hoping and praying that with time it will begin to ease down.

I have ear and head pressure too, so all in all  just a horrible way to live, 

The sounds are a high hiss , plus a deep vibrating rumble , It make talking difficult as it's resonates,

I want to unpop my ears but cannot and I can no longer hear much but this noise,

Pure torment

I don't take anything else , no meds,  no supplements,  no caffeine,  refined sugars, msg , I do drink a mug of milk late night with a slice of granary toast to help me sleep , I don't know if that is adding to it or not , but it is my one pleasure .

Birdman  ..I am so sorry to read about your Covid 19  I do hope you are recovering  now,

and that  your tinnitus eases back soon. 

Jen

74 years old

Covid-19 made my tinnitus much louder.  This sucks!!! 

While (SO FAR) my covid-19 case has been restricted to daily headaches that NO medication can touch and a fever that comes and goes every 3 to 4 time a week for 12 hours each incident I am doing better then most.

The headaches fell like my brain is bruised.  If I do one jumping jack the downward impact is felt through out my brain like my nerve endings where all raw.  Also my tinnitus is BAD.

I am so sorry to read this  :( Get well soon my friend  :therethere::mybuddy::hug:

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I was 3 weeks on 2.5mg of Valium and then 2 weeks on 1.25mg. After this, the day before yesterday, I decide to jump off the dosage.

I guess that was not a good idea: I already had tinnitus (I suspect that from Zoloft), but it was manageable and I was already used to the noise. But this night the sound was LOUD. I already had this electric-ish bunch of crickets in my right ear but now it's loud to the point that it's hard to mask using nature sounds. I decided to keep using 1.25mg of Valium for a while then, and I still don't know how I will do my next taper.

I wonder if the severity of this symptom is related with how quick is the tapering. I hope that the noise becomes lower at least to the baseline level that was some days ago. Do people that do a very slow taper also develops a very loud tinnitus?

Oh man...

Hey everyone - new on this thread.

So I'm in month two after a rapid taper and jumping and the ear sx's are worse this month.  I sometimes have the high pitched hissing, but I get his loud repetitive "whooshing".

Its worse in the mornings and evenings. Notice it more when I'm laying. Its predominantly in one ear more than the other.

This is a horrible symptom.

Just came on to read the "wisdom" of those who have had it before me. Thanks guys!

Hello all,

I am going into month 5 post jump and tinnitus is still with me 24/7. It has been quite loud lately and it's hard to take. I have had a few days where the tinnitus was a lot fainter (not gpne but very faint). Memories of those better days is what keeps me going...

But it's so damn hard.

SG

I have ear and head pressure too, so all in all  just a horrible way to live, 

Hello Jen, how are you today? I have the ear pressure too. It moves from one ear to another... Today is not as bad as yesterday though.

I am convinced that the tinnitus (i.e. the sound our brain makes) is present in every single individuals, it's just that, in our case, our brain has (hopefully temporarily) lost the ability to filter it out / mask it because of the benzo. Well, that's how I understand it but I may be wrong...

SG

hello can someone advise me I have done the water method for my valium reduction I have reduced from 15ml over a 2-yr period and got my doctor to give me 2 ml tablets I have a present come from 6 ml valium in the last 4 months to now 2 ml V and I Am sitting there now for I would say 7 days and I am finding this the worse time ever all the time I was coming from the 6ml there were some rocky days but I got through them and 6 days ago I got to 2 ml and as I have always done before I would sit there till I felt ready to carry on but I Am finding this period very hard with the feeling of wanting to be sick the ringing in my left ear burning face having to go to bed in the daytime about 2 pm seems to be my time  and at times feel out of it I don't know whether to carry on with my reduction or just sit till the feeling I have for a while and I feel better to carry on any advice or feedback would be greatly received    help

Has anyone experienced a very low hum type tinnitus? Like a diesel truck idling? This happened to my at the tail end of my taper. Very unnerving.

Everyone on this group has some form of tinnitus. It’s the worst symptom I have to admit. One of the real awful ones to get. Be strong.

Hey Trying2BHopeful

Indeed, tinnitus can be quite insidious as far as WD symptoms go! It's a long lasting symptoms, which, on its own, can cause depression and anxiety, in turn leading to insomnia, in turn leading to more tinnitus / anxiety / depression, etc.

Patience is key in overcoming tinnitus. Distraction is important too.

My tinnitus was rather faint today but could be louder tomorrow, who knows. That's the frustrating thing with non-linear healing...

SG

Hi, I definitely qualify for this club. I started having tinnitus many years ago though. It's something I live with. My taper has brought out much louder tinnitus and also a lower dial tone sound that I never had before. It's pretty intense.

Hi SRR

Remember you are not alone. What has helped me when I’m feeling anxious about the T is to remind myself that it will not hurt me. We naturally panic to the sound of Tinnitus so positive self talking technique helps to calm myself down. Eating the right foods is important, I had a muffin with sugar for the first time 2 weeks ago and the T started screaming at me within a few hours. Luckily it settled within a day. I’ve had to learn to listen to my body like I’ve never done before through this experience (excuse the pun). So I know I’m not ready for sugars, I’ll try again in a few months. So listen to your body, it has been through a lot and all it needs now is some tender care. Don’t panic, the T will settle when your body is ready, this takes a long time so we on this group have to really practice patience. I have been doing some of what Julian Cowan Hill recommends and found it helped settle my T (see link below for his YouTube videos). Someone else on benzobuddies mentioned that following his techniques has helped them settle their T...  Having said that, the most important thing is Time. Only Time will heal our CNS. Hang in there... You can do this..

Thanks! It does help! Tinnitus is definitely one of those things that appears to be less of a problem when you can not focus on it too much. I will check out the links! :-)

SRR

I too have the deep humming rumbling tinnitus,  having had tinnitus for years , but of the high hissing variety , which started when I was in my 30's and lost most of my hearing, 

I got so used to it that I no longer heard it, but the this deep rumbling type that started in withdrawal is another story and makes my body vibrate with it,  It makes my voice boom so is extremely uncomfortable and I am not able to block this sound, 

I am hoping that as time goes on and my CNS settles and gaba balance returns, that this will ease down, but it is hard to live with on top of so many other symptoms still at 6 months off valium,

Age may be playing it's part too for me as I have just had my 75th birthday ,

I had no choice about tapering later in life as I was almost 73 when prescribed, and all  I can say is

I am told that tinnitus tends to be one of the later symptoms to go, but  hopefully go it will .

Excepting what I had originally of course

Best wishes

Jen

jen,

i also had a higher hissing Tinnitus and after taking those rescue doses, i started having the deep humming Tinnitus, like the sound of my fridge. it feels like my head is vibrating.

i use a sound machine to cover it all the time and it helps.

when i was tapering the vibrating sound was there and disappear when i stabilize.

my hope is that it is all CNS related. once your nervous system recover, it will be a lot quieter.

• 2 weeks later...

May tinnitus spikes be a signal of the brain recovering?

I had a spike yesterday and its still loud... how long do these spikes last? I hope it will ter back to a much lower level. Now is hard to mask even with cicadas.

That’s crazy. But it would explain a lot. Like if it is something benzos treat, then even if it wasn’t a problem you had - removing the crutch your body has been using would leave it with a handicap.

Hi all, relatively new here. I'm experiencing what feels like pressure on both drums that feels like it is coming from the inside of my head. I say "Ear Pressure" on this thread so thought I'd jump on. Does it go away???

LD

Trying2BHopeful,

Thanks for the response. It is just weird. Crazy symptoms!!!

Hope you continue to feel better and better.

LD