Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Anyone find increase in tinnitus with BP medication? 

This is the second BP med I've been prescribed.  First, Aticand, really horrible reaction.  This, Zanidip has really increased my tinnitus. 

Anyone else? 

Dee

Hi everyone,

Anyone find increase in tinnitus with BP medication? 

This is the second BP med I've been prescribed.  First, Aticand, really horrible reaction.  This, Zanidip has really increased my tinnitus. 

Anyone else? 

Dee

Anything that makes the blood thinner makes tinitus worse for me. BP medication included.

I've been off Klonopin since Dec. 2017, I'd been on it for a few months for relief from tinnitus.  My tinnitus started in the summer of 2017, I had not taken any benzos for a year (took some in 2016 and from 2004-2009) so I don't think that the tinnitus was originally caused by the benzos.  Yesterday I had a very difficult experience at the dentist.  I had to have a bridge removed, as it was loose.  He had to drill, and hit it a number of times with a steel mallet of sorts.  Both were very loud and to boot, I had earplugs in which made it worse because the sound travels through the bones.  I was very nervous for a week before the appointment.  I did not tell him to drill for a few seconds and then take a 10 second break, which Tinnitus experts recommend, and I didn't take NAC, an antioxidant which is supposed to be a good protective measure for tinnitus and hearing loss when faced with dental work or loud noise.  My tinnitus was very low before the dentist visit yesterday, and today it's much worse.  With my benzo brain and OCD on overtime, and my tinnitus ringing, I've been catastrophising that my tinnitus is now permanently much worse because of this.  I still have two or more visits until my new bridge is created, fitted and tweaked.  Damn, this sucks. 

Want to give some positive news here, I have been tapering A pretty rapidly and my pre existing T was waaaaay up for months. Since a week or two  it is basically back to baseline. This is very comforting because sometimes it made me very desperate and scared this gives me hope that it will eventually go back to the way I was used to it.

The one change I only made and I think it is really helping is shut off all electronics next to me at night. Also no white noise or any masking. Before I slept with my laptop on for masking and sometimes my phone or PS4 controller was still on. Since I turn everything off I think my sleep is less disturbed. Al those wifi and bluetooth waves are not good when you sleep.

Give it a try, I noticed it fairly fast..

• 3 weeks later...

hey there, have not posted here for a while. I am off K for 2 years, and gabapentin for 3 weeks. my tinnitus for there as long as I remember, but I had a stressful week + a flight, and since my flight on last Friday I have worsened tinnitus. all my sinuses seem to go crazy as well, with teeth pain etc. also muscle pain and so on. I usually get this in the fall here. but I have no signs of infection or other sickness. I do have a dull sensation in my ears though.

anybody here exp. upticks in tinnitus, after flights, in the fall etc...?  I hope this uptick is temporary....any ideas how to calm it? (I don't expect tinnitus to go away)

• 2 months later...
Did anyone develop/worsen hyperacusis while on benzos and then had it improve once you had gotten off? Benzos didnt start my H but I think (hope) the ativan has contributed to its worsening now that I'm at the point of side effects/tolerance/interdose withdrawal and planning to try and get off after 4 months. My H is now severe at this point and almost seems to this? I'm honestly suicidal its that bad, and only getting worse, and I fear withdrawal will push my over the edge just making it permanently worse instead of helping...

I had severe hyperacusis and tinnitus when I first started benzos (due to hearing loss, not meds). I'm off benzos nearly two years now. I still have tinnitus, but it is significantly better than it was when I first got it, and the hyperacusis part has gone back to normal. I did sound therapy with an audiologist and noticed an improvement in the hyperacusis after just one month. Gradually over time, it went back to normal. I think I was actually still on benzos when it went to back to normal. Basically I started listening to white noise at a COMFORTABLE level for 4-6 hours a day. This is to desensitive your ears to all noise frequencies. If the white noise starts getting irritating, turn down the volume until it doesn't aggravate you anymore. Avoid long periods of silence, that can actually make your ears even more sensitive. Just try to have as many pleasant sounds during the day as you can at a comfortable volume. Over time, you can slowly increase the volume. I'm sorry you're suffering from this right now. But severe  hyperacusis can definitely get better and even go away, so don't give up.

Wondering...

I developed loud screaming T, but it hardly bothers me unless I think of it...

I have a "few" Fish tanks, and the constant trickling water and air may have been what saved me..??

I know when the power is out the T is more domimant..

I actually think the water noise helps me sleep too.. Perhaps it contributes to day fatigue too??

In relation to earlier posts, I still have wax pouring out predominantly one ear.. I suspect its related to the lyrica, -and diatry oils.. Fish oil, avocardo, and cheese being directly related...

It started with the addition of lyrica, increased with my effective dose, -Eased at low dose, and returned somewhat with jumping...

Obviously lots of other changes in this time too, so nothing too definitive...

Wondering...

I have a "few" Fish tanks, and the constant trickling water and air may have been what saved me..??

I actually think the water noise helps me sleep too.. Perhaps it contributes to day fatigue too??

In relation to earlier posts, I still have wax pouring out predominantly one ear.. I suspect its related to the lyrica, -and diatry oils.. Fish oil, avocardo, and cheese being directly related...

It started with the addition of lyrica, increased with my effective dose, -Eased at low dose, and returned somewhat with jumping...

Lyrica coming out of your ears? :D:laugh: Thanks I needed that :laugh:

Thanks

I had severe hyperacusis and tinnitus when I first started benzos (due to hearing loss, not meds). I'm off benzos nearly two years now. I still have tinnitus, but it is significantly better than it was when I first got it, and the hyperacusis part has gone back to normal. I did sound therapy with an audiologist and noticed an improvement in the hyperacusis after just one month. Gradually over time, it went back to normal. I think I was actually still on benzos when it went to back to normal. Basically I started listening to white noise at a COMFORTABLE level for 4-6 hours a day. This is to desensitive your ears to all noise frequencies. If the white noise starts getting irritating, turn down the volume until it doesn't aggravate you anymore. Avoid long periods of silence, that can actually make your ears even more sensitive. Just try to have as many pleasant sounds during the day as you can at a comfortable volume. Over time, you can slowly increase the volume. I'm sorry you're suffering from this right now. But severe  hyperacusis can definitely get better and even go away, so don't give up.

3 years ago my husband took me to a LOUD rock concert. My ears where ringing for 2 days after but my hyperacusis was gone and never come back. I wish I knew the science behind that one.

Wondering...

Lyrica coming out of your ears? :D:laugh: Thanks I needed that :laugh:

Thanks

Yeah.. It comes out in the capsual if I shake my head hard enough... 

-Actually, I think I have it about worked out now...  :)

Its good when something odd finally all makes sense...

3 years ago my husband took me to a LOUD rock concert. My ears where ringing for 2 days after but my hyperacusis was gone and never come back. I wish I knew the science behind that one.

You werent singing along by any chance..??

:)

Yup ;D  How did you know?

Well I wasnt actually insinuating you scared it off... :)

-More just a wild and random guess, as thats often all we get..

I was reading about vocals, the vegus nerve and our ears...

Well I wasnt actually insinuating you scared it off... :)

-More just a wild and random guess, as thats often all we get..

I was reading about vocals, the vegus nerve and our ears...

I have about 10,000 hours of reading time into this by this point in time. 

Not saying I-know-it all but have I have a pretty good idea the malfunction is some place in the mid brain. 

A brain organ called the Caudate and Putamen tends to get slowly saturated with benzo's and it takes months or years to get the Caudate and Putamen saturated with it.  That's one reason reinstates do not work if you have been off benzo's for a long time.  The tinnitus remains unless the reinstate is long term so the Caudate and Putamen can get saturated again and for some people this only works some times.  Tinnitus is as mysterious as cancer and no 100% cure can be found for either yet.

Here is a great true story that sparked a fire storm in the tinnitus research world and still is.

It is about a man with severe tinnitus that was actually cured overnight by an unforeseen event.

REF:http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/26-ringing-in-the-ears-goes-much-deeper

As a young man, Lowry spent a summer working on a farm with a noisy tractor. The experience left him with partial hearing loss and a high-pitched ringing in his ears that plagued him for 40 years. Then at age 63, Lowry suffered a mild stroke. A CT scan and an MRI revealed that the stroke had damaged his caudate and putamen. But the stroke also brought a pleasant surprise. Lowry was completely cured of his tinnitus, without any further hearing loss.

Steven Cheung and Paul Larson, two doctors at the University of California, San Francisco, set out to reproduce Lowry’s experience. They took advantage of the fact that some people with Parkinson’s disease get electrodes surgically implanted in their brain stem to control their symptoms. The electrodes typically have to pass the caudate and putamen to reach their target. Cheung and Larson engaged five patients preparing to receive an implant who also suffered from tinnitus. The patients agreed to undergo several minutes of deep brain stimulation to these regions during surgery as the electrode was being implanted. Cheung and Larson reported that the tinnitus became much fainter in four of the five patients.

While this story is interesting no one has a cure for sale yet that actually works for everyone or is marketable and not a scam which 99.9999999%of all tinnitus cures are, SCAMS!

For now I'll stick with my ear buds and MP3 player and keep learning sign language so I never have to remove or turn of my ear buds (battery changes are nerve racking ;))

I got out of a ticket last month since the cop could not understand my signs :D:laugh:

I wrote on a piece of paper "please find a police officer that can sign with me and I'll explain"

He let me go at that point 8)

Keep hoping it will pass but in the mean time find ways to cops with it.  I know hundreds of people who are stuck with this ONE s/x while we all agree it gets better year after year but never really goes away 100%.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/  is a great place to hang out and talk about finding coping tricks with thousands of other sufferers and keeping up on the latest  in tinnitus science breakthroughs.

Hugs  Bird :smitten:

I think I am going to kill myself, my H is so bad. Like every little sound causes discomfort and anxiety and even migraine/seizure feelings in my head, neck, spine, body... Haven't been able to leave my house in two months. Literally have headphones on in a near silent basement to escape right now. Just seems to get worse, overprotecting or trying to expose. I think the PPI I'm on makes it worse but I can't stop because my IBS and reflux are brutal. And the Ativan used to help, but now it helps slightly for maybe an hour and then it all gets worse again.

Praying the Ativan has been causing it to worsen and tapering off will help, but it feels like a long shot and I don't think I'll survive til then. My brain feels fried, my ears are broken, can't really eat or digest without feeling horrible sick. Literally everything makes my poor brain feel stressed and adrenaline surged - hearing, light, motion, eating, exercising. I was sick before the antibiotics that gave me the T/H/overstimulation, I had the (then mild) T and H before the Ativan. The Ativan just seemed to take everything away at first, like a wonder drug. Now it's all slowly gotten worse to the point I'm going to kill myself for sure. I cannot survive this. Trying to taper off the benzo now, when I'm already sick and suicidal... it feels, well, suicidal. But I have no choice. I'm housebound with my parents who don't believe how bad I feel and want me off this medication. I feel like I'm just going to disappoint them when I can't take it anymore and have to kill myself.

Please, has anyone ever been in such a bad situation and gotten out. I need hope. I don't want to die, but I don't want to just sit here suffering endlessly more.

Rojo don't give up! Please call someone if you are feeling that way CALL THE NAMI HELPLINE

800-950-6264

OR, IN A CRISIS? TEXT NAMI TO 741741

I was in the hospital and wanted to die too...I tapered off and realized that have so much to do and you can too! My ears rang too so loud, but now the ringing is less and the pressure in my ears has gone down. Just take it slow. Did you flox on your IV antibiotics? There is alot of information and support on these boards and the benzo community is here to support you. We can do this! i floxed too when I had teeth implants done and it was HORRIBLE! Doctors do not do enough research and know how dangerous these medications are. But we do. Just keep at it. Sounds like your parents are on your side and want to help you. Remember that you are loved😘

What does floxing mean? The antibiotic was ceftriaxone which has effects on glutamate so I definitely feel like it messed with my CNS/benzo stability, on top of being harsh on my ears, on top of the possibility it actually did something to an active lyme infection and caused some die off too; my ears got worse by the day on them especially the TTTS, my tinnitus went haywire, and when I stopped them I got crazy inner vibrating and weird "pops" in my head followed by blurry vision.

I'm afraid the taper will worsen my ear symptoms even more, which would end my life for sure, even while I hold out the slim hope of feeling better instead once I escape the Ativan... wish I could afford to pay for TRT and WNGs (need to find 2500 somewhere good fucking luck to me lol), and figure out a way off my PPI which I think is making things worse. Stuck at home with parents who don't even fucking believe my hyperacusis exists except as part of my "obsessive anxiety disorder" cause not being able to even go outside the front door without ear pain wouldn't cause anxiety fucking nope.

What does floxing mean? The antibiotic was ceftriaxone which has effects on glutamate so I definitely feel like it messed with my CNS/benzo stability, on top of being harsh on my ears, on top of the possibility it actually did something to an active lyme infection and caused some die off too; my ears got worse by the day on them especially the TTTS, my tinnitus went haywire, and when I stopped them I got crazy inner vibrating and weird "pops" in my head followed by blurry vision.

I'm afraid the taper will worsen my ear symptoms even more, which would end my life for sure, even while I hold out the slim hope of feeling better instead once I escape the Ativan... wish I could afford to pay for TRT and WNGs (need to find 2500 somewhere good fucking luck to me lol), and figure out a way off my PPI which I think is making things worse. Stuck at home with parents who don't even fucking believe my hyperacusis exists except as part of my "obsessive anxiety disorder" cause not being able to even go outside the front door without ear pain wouldn't cause anxiety fucking nope.

Floxing is when the docs put you in an antibiotic with toxic side effects which pretty much knock out the benzo as well. The most common American antibiotics in this class are Cipro (Bayer). Levaquin (Johnson & Johnson), and Avelox (Bayer) - generics are ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacin, and others with the word "flox" in them.  Lots of antibiotics have side effects, but what makes quinolones so much riskier is that the side effects caused aren't necessarily temporary; they can cause severe and permanent disability.

Just a few listed on the drugs' warning labels or named in studies:

Toxic Psychosis

Neuropathy

Retinal Detachment

Tendon Rupture

Muscle Damage

Seizures

Heart Arryhthmias

Abnormal Liver Function

Kidney Damage

Fortunately ceftriax is one of the few antibiotics that doest do that. My doc gave me the diagnosis of OCD when I went in for in patient psych treatment. Cause yes, I do have these cyclical thoughts, and I do wash my hands alot. Andway doc, also detoxed me off the Clonapin my request. And im glad he did, cause K made me suicidal as fuck >:D i experienced my head "popping" as well and im convinced that was the healing....my ears still pop when the pressure in my head gets too great. And no, I don't have a fat head :balloon: what is TRT and WGNs?

Tinnitus Retraining Therapy and White Noise Generators. Basically the closest there is to actual standard treatment for hyperacusis. My ears keep getting worse and worse and worse... sometimes it feels like even small sounds are like bunching me in the brain. Did anyone else ever feel that way? Maybe it really is because of the benzo? I can only hope I can get off and begin to heal. Seems like it's messed with my vision a bunch too, right eye is really blurry, lots of light sensitivity and afterimages... scary to have the vision haywire too while my ears feel like they're painfully dying.

The website for American Tinnitus Association has some good information on tinnitus treatment. If you scroll down the page to Sound and Sleep Apps, it shows a list of apps with white noise and other variations. You can download them for free or a few dollars and listen to them on your phone.

https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options/sound-therapies

I've tried listening to almost any kind of noise, white/pink, nature, soft music, almost everything makes me feel worse. literally all sound it seems. Idk what to do anymore other than try to just cut my damn ears off entirely.

Hello

I'm having severalmear problems...

Started with ativan prn dosing in the fall... ears felt 'open'

Started taper now I'm super sensitive to sound. Ears feel hot inside. I tried a q tip, last month and cemented the wax shut in the left ear and now I feel I have mild tinnitus in it, seems to change with head position.

I also now cant stand certain sounds. Metal on plates, crinkly plastic packaging drives me crazy and make my brain jump. Everything else generally seems loud.

Does the sound sensitivity go away with healing?

I'm scared to get my waxy ear washed out at the dr. What if it makes it worse? Any advice on this?

Hello

I'm having severalmear problems...

Started with ativan prn dosing in the fall... ears felt 'open'

Started taper now I'm super sensitive to sound. Ears feel hot inside. I tried a q tip, last month and cemented the wax shut in the left ear and now I feel I have mild tinnitus in it, seems to change with head position.

I also now cant stand certain sounds. Metal on plates, crinkly plastic packaging drives me crazy and make my brain jump. Everything else generally seems loud.

Does the sound sensitivity go away with healing?

I'm scared to get my waxy ear washed out at the dr. What if it makes it worse? Any advice on this?

Do NOT get your ears microsuctioned. Either have them manually remove the wax by someone who is experienced in doing this safely or gently, or use some sort of drops over a few days/weeks to soften the wax in order to have it safely removed. The methods ENTs use can be very dangerous to someone with T or H (or even someone without), don't let them harm you further in ignorance.